Twin Peaks

RedFox said:
Perhaps a little like an early version of an x-files episode.
I would disagree - it's nothing like x-files. It has European feel to it althought it is set in America. But thats probably craziness and decadence of David Lynch.
IMO this is his most sane work ( after the Blue velvet ) where you can actually follow the plot althogh surreal elements abound.

Demonic possesions, premonitions, legends of giants, ufo's and military, alien abductions - if you like this forum you got the love this TV series.
Although I have to say when I watched it for the first time as very young man I was much more impressed then few years ago when I watched it again, in fact I was slightly dissapointed

I must admit, i loved Twin Peaks but never managed to get into x-files.
I really believe Twin Peaks is a very special series. :)

Herr Eisenheim said:
All of the side characters in Twin Peaks are pretty amazing and IMO this is what makes Twin Peaks so special,

I totally agree with you, all the characters in Twin Peaks are very special. My favorite is Audrey Horne. Never forget the scene where Audrey ties a cherry stem in a knot with her tongue. Impressive!

AudreyHorne.jpg

piratas03.jpg
playcherry.jpg

I was 10 when I watched the series Twin Peaks for the first time. My mother would not let me see it because I was really scared. Despite the fear, I could not stop watching, I needed to find out who killed Laura Palmer. I ended up in love with every character.

No series has me hooked as Twin peaks.

Twin Peaks is great!!!

Hi melatonin,

It would be externaly considerate to make a comment even if brief, regarding what you find interesting in the video or the reason why you are posting it for others to see :)

Ana said:
Hi melatonin,

It would be externaly considerate to make a comment even if brief, regarding what you find interesting in the video or the reason why you are posting it for others to see :)

Yeah, sorry. I became pre-occupied with sorting the link out.
It was just my favourite part of the movie. Probably the creepyist bit of any TV/film ive ever seen. The first time i saw it it sent shivers up my spine. That David Lynch style that something very dark and sinister is just under the surface, and just out of sight.

That series also moved something in me.

I was scared watching it! I saw that film three times as it was shown in polish television.

I was inspired to think about that series for some time.

The world is not what it seems
Generally impression through out the movie that there is something more behind all that what is going on in the town.
Music (Badalamenti) was composed into it in that way that created a feeling in me of something deeper. Maybe that was because of low sounding tones which played a bit dissonance to the main themes and were like some "alarming notes" from the background. Like for example when having fun with somebody and just having impression that something is wrong here but do not know what for now.

For me I have interpreted this low sounds as a analogy to "nature" which for me was giving deeper background to the story.
On the main plan movie was showing history of murder investigation which was put in the quite life of small town interconnecting each individuals story to the main plot. That was about human. There were also quite a number of camera shots of nature itself for example: waterfalls, trees bending on the wind, forest, little robin, owl. That one in connection with music for me was creating kind of another level background for the history that it was not only town, not only humans and their relations to each other but also that they were part of something which relation is maybe difficult to show but is there.

First appearance of Bob the Killer was a shock for me. That was like the confrontation of my intuition that something is there and that is happening really. "Really" in the movie. I remember that this series made impression in general on people watching it and that it was commented that it was strange that one can not understand it etc. I think one of the strangest parts was incorporation into "normal life" forces from "other world". Everyone could understand murder and that there was something unclear who was and who was not involved in the crime. But linking the crime with hiperdimensional entities if I may say so, was kind of going into parapsychological area of dream reality. "What is real ?". Who is insane? Is Cooper really normal?
Those "hallucinations" in a fact were inteligible, I mean that unfortunately for sceptic mind they made sense. ... So what if that was true? (I mean analogically - it is like analogy to reality). So, there was something uncontrollable, unpredictable - something like nature which came into play and no one thought that it is like that.

Feeding on emotions
As I remember in one of the first episodes "One arm" Mike was investigated by Sheriff and agent Cooper. During investigation Mike "switched" himself into "Mike the ghost" (I do not remember well how they called it in the movie). Thing that stroke me was what he said about himself: a dweller that feeds on fear and lust.
Mike was somehow more positive than Bob however still represented forces that were thrilling to the construct of what normal human life is. This resembles me idea of 4th density STS who feed on our emotions. Evil Bob and before his transformation also Mike were feeding on human.

In "Fire Walk with Me" there is one scene showing Leland Palmer eating corn. Camera is following the spoon, coming into his mouth and inside showing some small degenerated creature. In one of later episodes of Twin Peaks, when Leland was arrested under the murder, he, driven by Bob crashed himself on the prison walls. When he was dying he confessed (this I am not sure when he confessed that) that he met Bob when he was a kid. Sitting in a sand box while some stranger came to him and asked if he wanted to play matches to play the fire. He Invited him. He invited him to his life. Probably than Bob took over his life.

Frightening thing crated in the movie for me was that no-one in the movie was made able to resist their human passions. The most frightening that agent Cooper who was presented as the one with high ethical / moral values, even himself was defeated trying to save his love Ann. I was thinking that maybe it was not love in a fact but metaphorically speaking, he turned from white to red. From pure intentions and pure heart he involved himself in need of the body and Passions relation with Ann which I just guess made him vulnerable to dark forces of Black Hut. When he entered Black Hut he finally got scared and was trying to escape. He had lost.

Final question for me was: what shall be done to win this kind of battle, to pass safely through Black Hut?

This series was not only a movie for me. When I was 15, scene of Maggie Fergusson murder made so strong impression on me that I was so terribly afraid that Bob was real that I had to cover my head with blanket every night before sleep and pray to God to help me. It is not a joke. It lasted maybe 2 years or so. Now do not remember exactly. There was a lot of fear in my life going on that time so that was like additional straw on camels back. During the day I was afraid of people and ghosts were like just memory, during the night I was afraid of ghosts and willing to be with other people.

After some time when I was one year to finish my high school the idea came to my mind that: I need to do something otherwise something bad will happen.
Than I made decision: I am coming back to life like "ordinary stereotypical human". I am going to get good grades in school. I am going to go to study something practical with possibility to earn normal money. I am going to create my "this world life". I wanted also to get a job which would be kind of anchor in this life. Which will keep me busy with every day's life problems. Anchoring me on earth and not letting me fly into the dream world where I felt after episode of Twin Peaks that I am not that strong to go there now. In a fact I am weak and the reason why the forces which I felt around me had not destroyed me was really not-understood. I was so weak that could have been crashed like a warm. I wander whether my mother's rosary prayers were protecting me?

When I am thinking about that now, I think that my DECISION to live in this world was very important in my life - maybe this one even saved me from destruction.

Heimdallr said:
Yes, Twin Peaks is a show that I overlooked for quite a while. Alternate realities, cold-blooded psychopaths, doppelgangers, spirit possessions, and this along with the David Lynch imagery, it is a hidden gem. Too bad it never got a proper ending...

I recently finished watching Twin Peaks and I loved it from the get go. As everyone else has stated already, there are a lot of ideas presented in the series that we talk about on the forum, but to see it so elegantly expressed in this TV series from the 90's was something special and I think the series is truly one of a kind.

SPOILER ALERT

Having said that.. I (probably like many others) felt completely dissatisfied with the doppelganger ending. I just felt like after all Cooper went through, to turn him into the monster that he hated was a cruel ending.

I thought that the show would ultimately come down to a final showdown between Cooper, Bob and Windom Earle, one which he would either die in the process of locking them up in the Black Lodge and find his way towards the White Lodge after it. Or that he would live and find his way to the White Lodge after passing through the Black Lodge as it was foretold in the series by Major Garland Briggs. The Major also said that he'd have to fight himself which I thought was going to be Windom Earl because the series portrayed Windom as Cooper's nemesis/alternate ego. But then an actual doppelganger came out of nowhere and assumably it was the doppelganger that made it out of the Black Lodge - or Bob who has now possessed either the doppelganger or Cooper, and will go on killing not only Annie but many other innocent girls. So that ending made me kind of sad.

There were also so many things left hanging like for example (off the top of my head)

1) What happened to Josi when she disappeared? Did she die? If so, how cause she kind of just disappeared and it seemed like her spirit was forever trapped in that room.

2) What happened after the explosion in the bank? Did Audrey and Pete die too?

3) Leo was left hanging in a pretty bad spot... (though I didn't much care for his character anyway) still... he was just left.

I'm probably not the only person who thought those things. And I think that most likely the writers/developers of the show probably thought they'd be resigned for a 3rd season, but alas that never happened. And disappointingly we got a prequel from the movie instead of a much needed sequel. Oh wells!

Having said all that, I still enjoyed the show immensely and I think it's definitely worth the watch.

One last thing -

When I first saw the episode with Cooper's backwards talking dream with the red curtains, I immediately remembered the Simpsons episode of "Who Shot Mr. Burns" when Chief Wiggum had the backwards talking dream and I laughed really hard. Because all this time I didn't know that part of the episode was making fun of Twin Peaks.

http://vimeo.com/34365791 :rotfl:

I just re-watched this again myself, and i felt the same about Cooper. He was too in touch with 'positive entitys' (well..... thats how i was veiwing his meeting with the tall man - like a positive encounter with a 5D being, who didnt want to give him clear answers, but nudges in the right direction) - to end up being took over by the dark side at the end.

I got the feeling Lynch was forced to end Twin peaks quickly by the people funding it, (I think this was obvious as new stories were developing, like Audry's dad being the father to the other girl etc) as it all got tied up so quickly in the last episode. It could of ran on quite easilly for another 15 episodes.

Loved Twin Praks and plan to watch it again for the holidays. I try to keep up with Lynch's newer project called Interview Project. You can view the episodes online. First his crew went across the US doing 3 minute interviews with people they meet. Next was Germany complete with translations. It was very human as some frailties were exposed. It's very powerful.

I read somewhere that Twin Peaks initial plot was meant to be centered around elite human trafficking, but that content would be too heavy for networks at the time, so it was twisted into the plot we know and appreciate today.

When it was new I was too young and dumb to appreciate the program outside of stereotypical 90s schlock and avoided the content until I finally grew up and matured a bit.

After watching it and seeing exciting parallels with phenomenas such as Skinwalkers (which is what Killer BOB is IMHO) I've become fond of Coopers angelic penchant to know the truth, explore the gruesome content of it and still retain his boyish innocence up until the tragic theft in the final episode.

At any rate, I'm certain most of you know by now or should know this series has been revived!

Season 3 is currently releasing week by week on Showtime and we are 5 episodes aired thus far.

I'm excited to see some of your thoughts on the new series.

Cheers

I feel it will be easier to give an opinion of when the entire season is seen. Have you yourself seen episode 8 yet, and if so, what did you think of it? To me it seemed similar to 'experimental' films and I was intrigued by what the metaphors in it seemed to be implying - that the atomic bomb explosion(s) had let something very foreign and 'evil' into our reality.

kalibex said:
I feel it will be easier to give an opinion of when the entire season is seen. Have you yourself seen episode 8 yet, and if so, what did you think of it? To me it seemed similar to 'experimental' films and I was intrigued by what the metaphors in it seemed to be implying ...

Lo Kali

I've stopped reading around where I butchered your quote as I haven't seen the last episode yet. Things have been moving to fast for me to hunker down before the tube to let Lynch terrorize my mind! (in a good way).

So far, it's actually been a very sad experience to see how Cooper is dealing with piloting a body again, and his inability to be 'present on a visceral level' so to speak.

His mannerisms, sayings, niceties shine every so often through random smiles and subtle acts of heroism (revealing the corruption in Dougies company, thwarting the assassin) but it's as if his spacey stare and relaxed confusion acts as a screen preventing the viewers from having him back.

Then when we see his double, piloted by BOB, continuing to raze and pillage everything before him, exploiting Cooper's vasage... his entire life... as a contrast adding more to the tragedy...

I'll check out the last episode either on Saturday or Sunday and weigh in the best I can.

The doppleganger being shot appears to have released the same energy that resulted from the atomic bomb blast in the 40s, causing what appears to be some sort of resurrection after the music performance, sort of a sickly hymn signifying BOBs state of mind?

After that we flashback to the 40s, the atomic bomb to me represents a portal where the entities like BOB came from. I think one of them was throwing up/vomitting them? I know BOB was among the spew in a bubble. This event seems to have caught the eye of the Giants, where Laura Palmer appears to have been cast to Earth in a similar golden orb as seen in an earlier episode coming out from 'Dougies' head.

The desert appears to be a hot bed of drop ins... the frog / grasshoper chimera... The woodsman in plaid literally dropping in from the sky asking 'gotta light' who put the town to sleep with "This is the water and this is the well. Drink full and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within" repeated ad nauseum to a local town populace on live radio waves after having murdered two radio station bystanders...

The frog-grasshopper chimera enters the sleeping girl through her mouth in her forced slumber.

Episode 8 is wrought with high strangeness.

Back
Top Bottom