The body that the vain adore
Is merely biodegradable
That shell I lived this cycle in
Is now matter for recycling
The dying fruit begets a seed
The tree of life it gets to breed
And when it blossoms you will see
In all its glory, a piece of me

Is this a poem by you? What inspired you to write it?
Yes, its an original poem by myself. I was literally walking my two dogs round our local cemetery one day and it struck me that all I could see everywhere as I strolled along were esoteric symbols. It was about the same time I realised that the concept of a name given to us is not what we truly are so it seemed a bit insane in that knowledge for me personally to give myself to that in death. It also touches on the 'taken as a given' view from a lot of people that death should be a sad affair and in no way celebrated. I don't know who takes credit for the following sentiment which I read somewhere but it's one of my favourites and I quote, ''Organised religion prevents people from dying properly''.

It was about the same time I realised that the concept of a name given to us is not what we truly are so it seemed a bit insane in that knowledge for me personally to give myself to that in death.
Yes I agree. But how would you answer that question? Who are we really?

Wow, that's a biggie. I couldn't possibly answer that question within the limitations of the spoken and written word and feel I've a long long way to go to even get close. All I'm certain of is my own awareness and perhaps when you reach 3rd grade which I think is where I currently am you realise it isn't just about you yourself if you wanna get to 4th grade, its difficult to shake that ego / identity we all get so used to though. What would you say?

With this consciousness, the matter is generally quite "muddy". I think Eckhart Tolle put it relatively tightly in his book "The power of now". Consciousness is described as a certain timeless flow of a higher self, while the mind is a collection of your thoughts. The question is, are you your thoughts?

Usually we identify with our thoughts, we think we can somehow define ourselves through the social roles we play, then we try to inquire into our souls, but this "identity" flies away and we are not able to fully comprehend it.

The point is that consciousness as being in itself (noumen) can be epistemologically transcendent (ie, unknowable by the logical mind). So what is truth? Is the truth just the objectivity of this world? Or is it what is off the shore? How can we tell by only seeing the shore?

It seems to me that it is difficult to speak of a single identity. This case is more complex at some higher level. Everything is connected to everything, and we are not isolated individuals who do not interact with the rest of the world. It is only an illusion.

Back
Top Bottom