Understanding The Seven-Spoked Wheel

HowToBe

The Living Force
I'm in the process of reading The Wave, and in Chapter 5 I have been surprised to encounter an idea I've played with in my mind before: The idea that a line, in its ultimate extension, actually meets itself and forms a circle.

I formed the first parts of this idea in math class in high school a couple years ago. Having drawn a standard 2-dimensional grid, with both an X and Y axis extending in the positive directions (making an "L"), I started thinking about what it meant to say that each axis "extends to infinity". To give myself something tangible to work with, I imagined an "infinity point" at the "end" of each axis, beyond all of the finite numbers.

Infinity_Point.png

So, hypothetically, each axis extends to a point, representing "number infinity". Recall that a point on a graph is represented by two numbers, in the format [x,y]. X is horizontal distance from zero and Y is vertical distance from zero. So you can have point [1,1] when you move one to the right and one up and draw a point there, [3,5] when you move right three and up five, and so on. Well, since we are considering infinity as a point on the graph, we can do the same with it. We can imagine a point, [Infinity, Infinity] in the upper right, beyond all of the numbers in both directions.

Infinity_Point_1.png

Well, this gives the graph space a strange and fascinating property! Recalling that lines are infinite in length, any line that is diagonal on this graph must extend to infinity in both X and Y, and therefore touch the point, [Infinity, Infinity]! This implies that a line is indeed curved in nature, but this can only be seen by stepping outside the limitation of finite values. A finite measurement, no matter how large, will always show the lines as straight, but if you instead ignore (set aside) the finite values and extrapolate to where you know the line is heading you find that, to reach toward infinity, the lines must curve. Not only that, but they must curve toward one another. This takes us towards understanding what the Cassiopaeans were trying to explain, I think.

Infinity_Point_2.png

I used only lines passing through [0,0], the origin, here. However, even parallel diagonal lines must also curve toward meeting at infinity. The box represents the limitation of considering only finite values - within the box, the lines must appear straight because they must follow the rules of slope (the ratio of y to x).

However, I have only used one part of the graph, and lines extending in one direction. It becomes more difficult for me to comprehend once I include the negative values along with the positive ones, although it is very fun to try. So I warn that from this point on my reasoning my seem strange(-er) to some, but it my mind it seems to make sense and goes a ways toward understanding what the Cs were saying. First, the symbol the Cs were using to describe "perpendicular realities". Two concentric circles, connected by seven spokes, like a wagon wheel, which the Cs said "Designates union of perpendicular realities.". Like this, as I understand:

Infinity_Point_3.png

June 17 said:
Q: (L) Are we, by connecting into this wheel, so to speak, activating the Wave in some way?

A: We are not clear about your interesting interpretation there, but it is true that you have an interactive relationship with the wave… However, as stated before, you are in an interactive relationship with the wave in a sense, in that the wave is a part of your reality, always has been and always will be. And, of course, it does involve your progress through the Grand Cycle. And the perpendicular reality is again, of course, advancement from the core outward, which is yet another reflection of all reality and all that exists. Now, we wish to return to the visual representation as mentioned previously. If you notice the core circle connects with all seven sections to the outer circle. Now, picture that outer circle as being an ever expanding circle, and each one of the seven segments as being an ever-expanding line. Of course, now, this will expand outward in a circular or cyclical pattern. Please picture visually an expanding outer circle and a non-expanding inner circle. Contemplate that and then please give us your feelings as to what that represents.

Q: (L) Does it represent an expansion of our knowledge and consciousness?

A: That’s part of it.

Q: (L) Does it represent also expanding influence of what and who we are on that which is around us?

A: That is correct. Contemplate if you will, the ever-expanding outer circle and the non-expanding inner circle, and of course the seven partitions also moving outwardly. What type of shape does that form in your mind’s eye?

If we insist on a finite or linear interpretation, the outer circle must disappear from view when its size exceeds perceivable or imaginable values, or if we stretch our view to keep the large circle within our view, the smaller circle must shrink until it disappears.

same session said:
A: We are talking about a circle. What becomes of a circle if you expand it outward forever?

Q: (J) It disappears.

A: It disappears? How can it disappear? Where does it disappear to? We ask you that, J? J?

Q: (J) Visually, as the outer circle expands, the inner circle becomes smaller and smaller until it disappears. As you continue to expand out with the outer circle, the inner circle disappears.

A: But where does it disappear to?

Q: (J) A black hole?

A: A black hole. Well, that’s a possibility. But, we really didn’t want you to concentrate so heavily on the smaller circle, now did we? It’s the outer circle.

So, if we think linearly, the circle disappears from our view; we can't imagine where it goes or what happens. So, let's turn back to the idea of treating infinity like a point. Since the circle expands outward from something we are already using a centerpoint as a reference. So as the circle an spokes expand out forever, they approach infinity. We can consider that since each spoke represents its own perpendicular reality, maybe each of them is kind of like its own axis, like the dimensions of X and Y (and Z, for 3D), except now there are seven dimensions. So as those lines expand outward with the circle, they are all approaching infinity, and therefore they must curve toward each other as they approach this hypothetical intersection. The simplest way to represent this is a sphere. You can imagine one of those beach balls, with a circle at each end, with lines going around the ball connecting the circles. The expanding circle keeps expanding toward infinity but never reaches it, so the "sphere" keeps expanding as the spokes get longer.

Infinity_Point_4_1.png

Infinity_Point_4_2.png

Infinity_Point_4_3.png

My feebly heroic or heroically feeble attempt to draw the concept. Imagine the outer circle expanding as far as you can see in your mind, and try to imagine how space must curve for it to continue toward infinity, following the arrows. Remember that our representation of infinity as a point is symbolic. After all, "There is no point."!

same session said:
Q: (J) Point taken! (L) There is no point. [Laughter.] Well, if you expand the circle outward and continue expanding it in all directions, it pulls the seven spokes with it, which encompasses more and more space in a cross section, and then turns that circle, you have a sphere.

A: Precisely. But Laura says that means we are living in a big globe. And, maybe we are.

Q: (T) Well, it wouldn’t be a big globe, so to speak; it would only be a big globe within the circle. If the circle continues to expand, it would just continue to go outward and outward and the globe would become bigger and bigger and bigger… (L) You’re making me nervous… (T) But it goes outward forever… ’cause there is no end to going out…

A: There isn’t?

Q: (SV) Nope.

A: Well, then maybe there’s no beginning.

Q: (T) Well, there wouldn’t be a beginning, just a big, open void. An infinite void…

A: If there’s no end and no beginning, then what do you have?

Q: (L) No point. (J) The here and now.

A: The here and now which are also the future and the past. Everything that was, is, and will be, all at once. [snip...]

Curiously, we've gone from a circle expanding in 2D space to a sphere expanding in 3D space. We could maybe keep expanding it if only we could imagine a next, 4D shape, then 5D, etc., but I don't think that would useful for producing anything but headaches right now. It may relate, however, to how this expansion, with no beginning or end, can contain everything.

So, anyway, these are my musings which I hope will be useful, somehow, and interesting. Do I have something here? Have I explained/reasoned logically?

[EDIT: Added pictures I forgot to attach when I first posted.]
[EDIT2: Added more pictures which I had meant to add originally.]

HowToBe said:
Well, this gives the graph space a strange and fascinating property! Recalling that lines are infinite in length, any line that is diagonal on this graph must extend to infinity in both X and Y, and therefore touch the point, [Infinity, Infinity]! This implies that a line is indeed curved in nature, but this can only be seen by stepping outside the limitation of finite values. A finite measurement, no matter how large, will always show the lines as straight, but if you instead ignore (set aside) the finite values and extrapolate to where you know the line is heading you find that, to reach toward infinity, the lines must curve. Not only that, but they must curve toward one another. This takes us towards understanding what the Cassiopaeans were trying to explain, I think.

Infinity_Point_2.png

I used only lines passing through [0,0], the origin, here. However, even parallel diagonal lines must also curve toward meeting at infinity. The box represents the limitation of considering only finite values - within the box, the lines must appear straight because they must follow the rules of slope (the ratio of y to x).

I don't see why the two lines have to bend to touch infinity. Can't they be drawn straight from 0 to the infinity dot?

If you thought of representing infinity by a point in high school math, then maybe you should keep studying math because it is a pretty creative idea. The real numbers are sometimes extended to the extended real numbers which is the real numbers plus a point added for infinity and a point added for negative infinity. Now that I think about it, I have never seen R^2 extended like that. If you are interested in reasoning logically then you need to be aware, that by preserving a property like the slope of a line in your scheme, you are preserving things like the standard operations addition and multiplication, which can lead to the idea of the distance between 2 points. If you are going to preserve these properties then you need have a way that these properties can be extended to the new points you are adding.

If it helps you visualize some other concept, then they may be no need to worry about all that, but like I said, if you thought of that in high school math, maybe you should keep learning some math. Here are a couple of links about the extended reals:

_http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ProjectivelyExtendedRealNumbers.html

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_real_number_line

The wikipedia one shows some extensions of real number operations to include the infinity points.

It is always important to be able to discern mathematics from philosophy and similar things. If one does some mathematics, it must be correct, it must be, in fact, mathematics. And then some conclusions and interpretations can be drawn from it.

[quote author=HowToBe]I'm in the process of reading The Wave, and in Chapter 5 I have been surprised to encounter an idea I've played with in my mind before: The idea that a line, in its ultimate extension, actually meets itself and forms a circle.[/quote]Then it is simply a circle. In the session where the subject of the seven-spoked wheel first came up, I think, the Cs referred rather to the cyclical, probably non-euclidean nature of the universe and did not mean that a line in general, i.e. each and every line, forms literally a circle.

[quote author=HowToBe]I formed the first parts of this idea in math class in high school a couple years ago. Having drawn a standard 2-dimensional grid, with both an X and Y axis extending in the positive directions (making an "L"), I started thinking about what it meant to say that each axis "extends to infinity". To give myself something tangible to work with, I imagined an "infinity point" at the "end" of each axis, beyond all of the finite numbers. [...][/quote]It won't work this way. You cannot define such an "infinity point", because you cannot treat infinity as a number. That's basically the error of your whole idea. You are trying to use infinity as a number. You have also to take into account different orders of infinity and things like that.

Sirius said:
It is always important to be able to discern mathematics from philosophy and similar things. If one does some mathematics, it must be correct, it must be, in fact, mathematics. And then some conclusions and interpretations can be drawn from it.

Thank you. This is important to remember. I personally find that, since I am still in the "becoming a good obvyatel" stage, my attempts at inventing abstract concepts to explain the nature of reality is most often mental masturbation or wiseacring (same thing?).

Sirius said:
It won't work this way. You cannot define such an "infinity point", because you cannot treat infinity as a number. That's basically the error of your whole idea. You are trying to use infinity as a number. You have also to take into account different orders of infinity and things like that.

It is true that it might not work to create a set an "extended real plane." I really don't know. It may have been done already. I disagree with your statement that we cannot represent infinity as a number. Like you said, if we are going to do math, let's do math. The links in my post above show a set of numbers that represent infinity and negative infinity as numbers. This set, the extended reals, is isometric to the interval of real numbers from -1 to 1 and including them. In other words, they are "similar" in some mathematical sense to a set of numbers that anyone with some university math would be comfortable with.

If you want to think of a "number" as an element of a set with operations and ordering scheme (a way to say one number is bigger than another), then there are other schemes for thinking of various infinities as numbers such as the ordinal numbers (_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinal_number). I am not even going to try to discuss them because I do not understand them very well. They are one way of understanding how one infinity can be bigger than another though I find the introductory methods of using simple elements of function theory to show certain infinities are smaller than others to be much more accessible.

I stand by my statement. I think it is pretty darn clever that a high school student would think of extending the real plane in such a way even if it does not work out mathematically, and that HowToBe might want to keep studying math if there is not something more important he needs to be doing. I would however have to guess that using math to understand the structure of reality might require a rather fine-tuned thinking apparatus.

The point at infinity would be non-Euclidean projective geometry related to Ark's recent "infinity symbol" paper but via this spacetime, the X and Y (and Z and time) axes would literally be circles (via complex number coordinates) as in the 1938 Einstein paper Ark has read. The time axis as circle however is a different but related concept to cyclical time (the Cs or Ark mentioned this in a transcript I think).

So yes I would agree that bending of lines towards a point at infinity in the original post here would be the kind of thinking one does before finding the actual math. I got into it via another related geometry, root lattice geometry, which I originally worked with without knowing it for organizational behavior models.

In the last couple of days I was talking on another forum about the hub and spoke model for organizations. Someone linked to an article where this model is said to really need a more connected sacred geometry-like structure. I linked to another article that talked about the model having an emptiness at the center but still needing "liminocentric" connections back to the outside. Basically that says it needs to be a torus or as Mr. Scott here referred to Ark's spacetime metric work, a big yummy jelly donut (made via buckwheat and Stevia I'm sure).

Perceval said:
I don't see why the two lines have to bend to touch infinity. Can't they be drawn straight from 0 to the infinity dot?
Well, let's say you have the line y=2*x. By definition, it must pass through the origin, [0,0], because when x is zero, y is zero; 0=2*0. Another line, such as y=x/2, also must pass through zero, but at a different angle. Both of them extend infinitely in both x and y, and therefore must at least approach, if not meet, [Infinity, Infinity]. Does this make sense? It does not imply that the lines ever start getting closer to one another in a finite sense, but they are bent in the sense that they are both approaching the same ultimate extension. It seems to imply that something is curved, presumably the space that the line is graphed in. Does this make sense?
Sirius said:
Okay, but how does one tell the difference? There are opposing views in mathematics about infinity and what you can and can't do with it.
Sirius said:
The point at infinity would be non-Euclidean projective geometry related to Ark's recent "infinity symbol" paper but via this spacetime, the X and Y (and Z and time) axes would literally be circles (via complex number coordinates) as in the 1938 Einstein paper Ark has read. The time axis as circle however is a different but related concept to cyclical time (the Cs or Ark mentioned this in a transcript I think).

So yes I would agree that bending of lines towards a point at infinity in the original post here would be the kind of thinking one does before finding the actual math. I got into it via another related geometry, root lattice geometry, which I originally worked with without knowing it for organizational behavior models.

In the last couple of days I was talking on another forum about the hub and spoke model for organizations. Someone linked to an article where this model is said to really need a more connected sacred geometry-like structure. I linked to another article that talked about the model having an emptiness at the center but still needing "liminocentric" connections back to the outside. Basically that says it needs to be a torus or as Mr. Scott here referred to Ark's spacetime metric work, a big yummy jelly donut (made via buckwheat and Stevia I'm sure).
Very interesting. I'll have to find and read Ark's paper. The axes being circles is part of what I've been thinking about.

HowToBe said:
Also, can you point me to information about the orders of infinity? I was only able to find a bit of information about them in the infinity wikipedia entry.

IMO the easiest way to understand orders of infinity is by first understanding why the order of the natural numbers (0,1,2,3,...) is less than the order of the real numbers. The proof of this is often shown in the introductory chapters of a textbook for an introduction to real analysis course. In United Statesian math lingo, real analysis is the formal theorem-proof development of calculus. You could always try a google search for something like "cardinality natural numbers real numbers proof" and maybe you will find something somewhat complete. If you find you can work your way through such a proof, then you are probably ready to play a bit with higher concepts. If not, you would probably need to spend some time beefing up the contents of your mathematical toolbox.

HowToBe said:
The extended real numbers page contained several concepts that I've come to on my own, suggesting (but only suggesting!) that I'm not mad. :P :) I think I will keep learning about math. It's been a long interest of mine; particularly, infinity, number patterns, chaos theory, fractals, and some aspects of geometry have drawn my interest. My problem is that while I've always been good at math (the logic and reasoning parts), I have always been slow at it, and not motivated when it comes to schoolwork. When I was younger, I never managed to memorize the multiplication tables, and while the blanks have mostly filled themselves in over the years, I still don't have it all. What I do know seems to take longer to recall than for most people. I don't know how much might be genuine learning disorder as opposed to lack of interest/motivation, but there is evidence it might involve a mild learning disorder because my mom has a complete inability to work with numbers without making mistakes (possibly dyscalculia, which seems to be genetically transferable). I don't know if things would be different in college, but I'm not sure my Will is developed enough to keep up with the work. I still have trouble getting to bed when I know I need to. In any case, I'm pretty sure I'll keep learning because it keeps drawing my attention.

I hear you. I was the last kid in my elementary school class to understand division, but somehow I keep progressing. The positive aspect of having a few university courses under your belt is the exposure you get to the basic mathematical tools necessary to be able to progress. As with all things, it is all about context. Is it something you really want to invest a lot of time on (because mathematics is very difficult to master) or is it a hobby? Whatever the case is just fine, but knowing this helps you know what materials you need to continue.

If you find that you have a concrete idea of where you are stuck or what your desires are, let us know here, and the proper books can be suggested. For example, if you find that your really basic basics like algebra of real numbers and trigonometry are lacking, then there are elementary books that are rather less boring and superficial than the algebra and trig books found in the high schools and universities in the U.S.

If for the time being you are satisfying curiousity, following your nose is probably as good an approach as any.

Back
Top Bottom