Unwitting Pied Piper of Waterfowl

webglider

Dagobah Resident
I live near a large park where there is a lake inhabited by swans,ducks, Canadian Geese, coots, and seagulls. I visit the lake almost everyday to count the swans, (one baby disappeared, and now a number of people are watching out for the rest who, at this point are almost, but not quite, fully grown and very aggressive.)

People come down often to feed this winged community the members of which paddle rapidly to shore to be first in line for freebies.

I happened to be in the park yesterday when a woman pushing a stroller found herself followed by at least 100 members of this huge and diverse flock.

The women had a look of total horror on her face when she turned around to find birds, necks outstretched, webbed feet moving furiously to catch up tp her all vocalizing at once.

Luckily my friend figured out the reason they were following her and called out: "TAKE THE PLASTIC BAG OFF THE HANDLE OF THE STROLLER". Apparently the birds have been conditioned to associate black plastic bags with food. She immediately grabbed the bag, removed it and put it in front of her out of view.

After a moment of confusion, the birds shook their tail feathers, vocalized their displeasure and headed back to the lake once more.

Back
Top Bottom