Updated SOTT site

Conker

A Disturbance in the Force
Hi all,
First off, I dont know if this is in the right place so mods, please move it if it is. Anyway, ive just noticed the SOTT site has been updated but since the update I have Massachusetts Institute of Technology trying to either access my computer or send data from my computer. I use a program called Peer Guardian which shows all incoming and outgoing connections so this is where I can see it and it also blocks it. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.
Thanks all.

Hmm...

I guess post-installation "tweeks" are being worked on
and will eventually will be resolved, but just wanted to
list problems as I see them:

1) Login conflicts with security certificates. Was able to
login but had to "jump though hoops" to get there.
2) Pages/icons are more fuzzier - not as crispy as the former.
3) Voting not (yet) supported on articles.
4) Color pages not (yet) supported.

Ciao for now,
Dan

The guys are working on it. I understand that we've already had hacking attempts.

Laura said:
The guys are working on it. I understand that we've already had hacking attempts.
That could be it so, i've never had anything like this happen before so just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing it.

@ Dant Same here. Had problems with the security cert. too. I got the warning "Legitimate sites should not ask you to accept this problem..".

Conker said:
@ Dant Same here. Had problems with the security cert. too. I got the warning "Legitimate sites should not ask you to accept this problem..".

Same thing here.

I like the new presentation and as i can see we will be able to print more easily an article.

Thanks

Conker said:
That could be it so, i've never had anything like this happen before so just wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing it.

The security certificate is self-signed. Basically, when you have a certificate for SSL on a site, you normally use a "certified" one from certain companies that are considered "official". Well, that's all find and dandy, except that we don't have the money or time to get one of those. So, it's a very simple process to generate your own. But I suppose it's going to be a pain and/or frighten people off, so I think I'll turn it off at least for now.

As for printing articles, the CSS isn't finalized for that yet, but we WILL have the ability to print articles without a lot of hassle this time around. IE, when you click "print" in your browser, it will look nice and print okay.

And there ARE more features in the works, but we've got our hands full right now! ;)

Kresnik said:
Conker said:

The security certificate is self-signed. Basically, when you have a certificate for SSL on a site, you normally use a "certified" one from certain companies that are considered "official". Well, that's all find and dandy, except that we don't have the money or time to get one of those. So, it's a very simple process to generate your own. But I suppose it's going to be a pain and/or frighten people off, so I think I'll turn it off at least for now.

As for printing articles, the CSS isn't finalized for that yet, but we WILL have the ability to print articles without a lot of hassle this time around. IE, when you click "print" in your browser, it will look nice and print okay.

And there ARE more features in the works, but we've got our hands full right now! ;)

I totally understand about the cert., that an "official" one has to be paid for but it was that, as well as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology trying to access or send data from my pc that made me a bit wary, having been flagged by Peer Guardian. But as Laura said, it seems that hacking attempts have already occurred. Jeez, they don't waste time!

EDIT: Just a thought but can the original security cert. not be migrated to the new server?

Congratulations SOTT!!!! New improvement is great!!!

Nice changes....I know you guys have a handful right now but when you have time
please remember to add "Voting Button" on the articles.

thanks

Edit: Sorry folks. Looks like dant already covered this.

Amoeba said:
Congratulations SOTT!!!! New improvement is great!!!

Nice changes....I know you guys have a handful right now but when you have time
please remember to add "Voting Button" on the articles.

thanks

Voting has gone the way of the dinosaur. The reason is that only a tiny fraction of our total readers were actually signing up for accounts, and even then, only about 7% of those registered readers were actually voting! That basically gave the appearance that individual articles and the site as a whole was far less popular than it actually is. When we had 3k readers a day, articles would get 50 votes. When we had 30k readers a day, articles still only got 50 votes! So, we decided to make the site cleaner, more convenient, and faster - especially for non-registered users - with more RSS feeds per category. Registered users will still get extra toys like Themes, the ability to comment, etc. And the site is still faster for registered users, as well. With the same server, we can now handle a lot more readers at once, so the new site also adds more room to grow. Anyway, like the RSS reader people, we also have the E-mail Edition which gets sent to another chunk of people. So it seemed that the important thing was to increase the number of ways and the speed at which we can get information to people. Along those lines, we have some more ideas in the works...

BUT, as always, everyone who works on SOTT is not paid. If I were to create a site like SOTT with the fancy front end plus fancy back end for editors for somebody else, I would charge 50k-75k. Corporations often pay upwards of $5-10 million to big design firms for sites that are FAR less fancy than the new SOTT. So, that's one reason our fundraiser is still up: we aren't a big corporation, we don't have any backing from anyone or any group or agency, and the only reason any of us work on SOTT is because of the principle of the thing, which is getting the truth out there. We have to expand, we have to grow - and we're doing that - but we also need to survive things like this ridiculous law suit, and that takes money. And if we have to spend all our time figuring out how to get the money to defend SOTT, we have no time to grow or expand! Maybe that was the intention all along. Oh well, it isn't working so far... We'll see what happens next. :cool2:

Looks pretty good.

But I am having a hard time trying to find my profile
and to change the themes. Is it still there?

Thanks!
Dan

Kresnik said:
BUT, as always, everyone who works on SOTT is not paid. If I were to create a site like SOTT with the fancy front end plus fancy back end for editors for somebody else, I would charge 50k-75k. Corporations often pay upwards of $5-10 million to big design firms for sites that are FAR less fancy than the new SOTT. So, that's one reason our fundraiser is still up: we aren't a big corporation, we don't have any backing from anyone or any group or agency, and the only reason any of us work on SOTT is because of the principle of the thing, which is getting the truth out there. We have to expand, we have to grow - and we're doing that - but we also need to survive things like this ridiculous law suit, and that takes money. And if we have to spend all our time figuring out how to get the money to defend SOTT, we have no time to grow or expand! Maybe that was the intention all along. Oh well, it isn't working so far... We'll see what happens next. :cool2:

The amount collected so far is really depressing from my POV. Starting on Sept.11th till today (Sept 29th) the main page is showing 17,782€ which works out to be about 935€ per day approximately. At the rate it's going, I don't think SOTT is going to meet it's target. With 2485 registered members, I was hoping that it would be much more by now.

I enjoyed the voting system as it was a quick and easy way to tell which articles other readers liked, but now I guess it was just 50 readers who liked them :lol:. Its understandable it isn't going to make it this time... I dunno, I think maybe in the end it is better this way as I seem to read through a lot more articles instead of just reading the 'higher rated' articles.

I love the new layout. The links to the sections on the left side bar and the recent news on right side bar makes for a streamlined browsing experience... well done! :cool:

Thanks for adding new RSS feeds for each section!

What about a survey to know why people do not give / do not want to give / would give if ?

Love the new SOTT page. To me it looks really clean, crisp and professional. Great job!

Back
Top Bottom