Vasectomies for Dogs?

been rescuing Rotties now since 2002, grew up with them in the family. I have issues with castration, complete removal of sex glans in Males AND females. Mostly because you halt the needed flow of hormones to develop all the muscles in the dogs' body. IN larger breeds, incontinence is a rather troubling issue. I saw Females especially returned to the rescues I have worked with due to uncontrollable urinating as they aged. No hormones from the start of life will cause this-the urinary tract is very dependent on the muscle that control it. I have had 4 Males all castrated and ll changed in ways that kind of saddened me in that I enjoy a robust active and aggressive happy Male,..., and thankfully all my Females were private rescues so I waited a full 2 years before having them spayed. I did this to allow the body to take full advantage of the hormones. I have to say tho, this Prostate idea is a bit flawed, Human Males on Testosterone replacement have been for YEARS told it will cause Prostate issues,..., CANCER. It is not known that it does not. PERIOD, Testosterone does not cause Prostate Cancer BUT, they found that doctors were not screening the Human Males well and they had the cancer in very early forms and then the Testosterone was like JET FUEL on a fire. So I have a feeling this is the same with other species as well. You have to ask yourself if a quality life is worth the chance of a 14yo Rottweiler getting prostate cancer is worth it. Well if you are having your dogs on a yearly exam, I have said "YES it IS" since that dog, Male or Female will have had a pretty normal life, enjoyed all the strengths and emotional feelings an intact dog does. Prostate cancer is real but if cause in time can be corrected and you move on. I also have seen in my Dogs spayed or neutered that they have issues with their weight, eagerness in older age,.., and honestly in the Males,..., they lost their Male Puppy behavior and outlook. Now some might look at my input as a Romantic view,.., but with having 6 Rotties since 2004 of my own and fostered and worked with over 70 at rescues, up to 16 on my property alone at one time, I have seen A LOT. And of course growing up with Rottweilers in the family too,..., I have a pretty good idea of how that breed is suppose to be. As for the humping and all that, I have had one neutered Male Rotties and now a Pit mix Male as well that were fixed as puppies and both STILL HUMP so I am in full agreement that it is a trainable thing, and I did enjoy the humping pony idea! HOOOT!

But one has to follow their own ideas on this, I for one, being from a Farming family know that no hormones early in life will cause a whole set of issues healthwise. HORMONES are what make an animal strong against disease. There is growing evidence that keeping the sex glans is a very good thing, Europe is found to not have a very different life span for their dogs sterilized or not. So like Human Male newborn circumcism, it probably is not that much of a health issue but a population issue for pets. Vets are set-up for total removal as puppies, they will not want to have to go learn a simple, safer method. But really do the homework,..., Tubal tying is a very attractive alternative if you want your pet to be an animal with a character they will have all their life and not just a pet.

A short and pretty fair assessment:
_http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/medical-articles/vasectomy-for-dogs

Mod edit: deactivated link

Hi OldArmyDog, welome to the forum.

It would be good if you could take a minute or two to post a short intro in the Newbies Section, maybe share a little about yourself and how you found the forum. Thanks!

I don't agree with spaying or neutering. The incidences of cancer and other disease are so much higher in spayed dogs. It puts so much more stress on the other organs to produce the necessary hormones. Do Vets thinks they can just remove that vital source of hormones and have no repressions? It makes more money for them, spaying is their #1 money maker, and the results of that spay. I lost my first dog to a massive bladder tumor, he was my best friend, my family fed him kibble and spayed him at a few months, he only lived till 6. Now I have 3 intact dogs ( one neutered cause she's a rescue) all raw fed since I got them as pups. They have a whole other level of health, that conventially raised dogs just don't have. They grew slowly and have perfect form and coats. I've NEVER had to bring any of them to the vet ( except for a scratched eye from a cat, in which they charged $500) I don't vaccinate either, I basically don't trust anything that comes out a vet's mouth. Also there are studies that show that spayed dogs are more aggressive and have more behavioral problems than intact dogs. I could never spay my dogs, I will never remove vital internal organs for the sake of controlling an animal. I have an intact male Rottweiler, intact female wolf hybrid, intact female maltipoo, what do I do for birth control you ask? Separation: rooms, crates and fences, it's not that difficult, no need to remove balls and overies. Hope this helps

Desertwolves said:
I don't agree with spaying or neutering. The incidences of cancer and other disease are so much higher in spayed dogs. It puts so much more stress on the other organs to produce the necessary hormones. Do Vets thinks they can just remove that vital source of hormones and have no repressions? It makes more money for them, spaying is their #1 money maker, and the results of that spay. I lost my first dog to a massive bladder tumor, he was my best friend, my family fed him kibble and spayed him at a few months, he only lived till 6. Now I have 3 intact dogs ( one neutered cause she's a rescue) all raw fed since I got them as pups. They have a whole other level of health, that conventially raised dogs just don't have. They grew slowly and have perfect form and coats. I've NEVER had to bring any of them to the vet ( except for a scratched eye from a cat, in which they charged $500) I don't vaccinate either, I basically don't trust anything that comes out a vet's mouth. Also there are studies that show that spayed dogs are more aggressive and have more behavioral problems than intact dogs. I could never spay my dogs, I will never remove vital internal organs for the sake of controlling an animal. I have an intact male Rottweiler, intact female wolf hybrid, intact female maltipoo, what do I do for birth control you ask? Separation: rooms, crates and fences, it's not that difficult, no need to remove balls and overies. Hope this helps
As a vet and a human being I personally dont agree with blanket neutering. However when it comes to female dogs and indoor cats medically it does make sense to neuter.
For more information take a look at this thread http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,37895.0.html

As for your statement about incidence of cancer higher in neutered dogs can you provide some reference. As far as I know there is no data to support this claim.

Z said:
As for your statement about incidence of cancer higher in neutered dogs can you provide some reference. As far as I know there is no data to support this claim.

Deserwolves probably refers to this recent study?

This study shows correlation between early neutering ( prepubescent) and different health problems, we yet cannot say that neutering in general causes all these problems.

Back
Top Bottom