Video clip of what appears to be a 2nd sun setting

As Jones says, it could be a light bounce effect. There is an upper cloud that is located in the path of the light from the sun's rays. Here is a sample photo I took, only closer, but you can see the example:

The sun is the one below, but the light is cast with enough intensity on the clouds above and because of the perspective in which we see it, we are fooled by the optical illusion that they are very close to each other.

- (21).jpg

It looks as though what appears to be a second sun could be a beam of sunlight hitting a cloud because there are lots of clouds around the sunset.
yes, that's what it looks like to me. The shinning cloud being hit by the sun as it sets.

It could be an indication of more reflective clouds because of meteorite dust and ice crystals in the clouds, like the noctilucent clouds, only viewed at an earlier time of the night.

yes, that's what it looks like to me. The shinning cloud being hit by the sun as it sets.

It could be an indication of more reflective clouds because of meteorite dust and ice crystals in the clouds, like the noctilucent clouds, only viewed at an earlier time of the night.
That's what I suspected might be the explanation, but what puzzled me was how distinct and round the "second sun" is, compared to typical examples where the reflection is more diffused (such as your photo or noctilucent clouds).

but what puzzled me was how distinct and round the "second sun" is

It is not sharp at all. The shot is overexposed, as well as having been compressed to the point of losing a lot of quality, which helps to confuse more and you interpret it as a "circle", when it is only a higher concentration of light in one point, between the clouds' aperture.

This is what is happening above:

--(1).jpg

And this is what you see from below:

unknown_2022.07.26-00.09_1_1.pngunknown_2022.07.26-00.13.png

Back
Top Bottom