Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

PopHistorian

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Just FYI here - a visible outgrowth/symptom of topics we've discussed before.

Remember the Planet Saver game, conceived by environmentalists,, aimed at kids, encouraging them to believe that they should die to save the planet from "global warming?"
_http://www.pop.org/content/september-15-qkids-your-time-is-upq-global-warming-game-targets-vulnerable-youngsters-912

This Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, started in 1991, by, yes, an environmentalist, appears aimed at adults. Maybe a softer, gentler outgrowth of the population-reduction agenda.

_http://www.vhemt.org/
Phasing out the human race by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth’s biosphere to return to good health. Crowded conditions and resource shortages will improve as we become less dense.

Recently ran into some typically zealous, disputatious vegans who seemed to be supporting this.

PopHistorian said:
Just FYI here - a visible outgrowth/symptom of topics we've discussed before.

Remember the Planet Saver game, conceived by environmentalists,, aimed at kids, encouraging them to believe that they should die to save the planet from "global warming?"
_http://www.pop.org/content/september-15-qkids-your-time-is-upq-global-warming-game-targets-vulnerable-youngsters-912

This Voluntary Human Extinction Movement, started in 1991, by, yes, an environmentalist, appears aimed at adults. Maybe a softer, gentler outgrowth of the population-reduction agenda.

_http://www.vhemt.org/
Phasing out the human race by voluntarily ceasing to breed will allow Earth’s biosphere to return to good health. Crowded conditions and resource shortages will improve as we become less dense.

Recently ran into some typically zealous, disputatious vegans who seemed to be supporting this.

The bolded says it all ;)

Kris

PopHistorian said:

In an ironic twist, the candidates for extinction reveal themselves?

Not because they're vegans, but because of this:

Q: (L)... There's another question here. What is the nature and function of the human capacity for belief?

A: Automatic pattern recognition software run amok.

I've come across this movement before. I think they have good intentions, but I disagree they should go so far as to think humans should go extinct. The only realistic goal they seem to shooting for (according to their FAQ) is voluntary population reduction, via not reproducing. I'd count myself as a part of that type of movement. The counterbalance to the Be Fruitfil and Multiply folk. All those plans conspiracy theorists talk about re: the elite waging genocide on 80% of the population would seem to belong to the involuntary population reduction movement. :p

There are too many people alive, I think. But birth rates seem to be declining all over the world (or at least slowing) so I think it should sort itself out, pestilence or no.

Weren't the Essenes against reproduction on the grounds it just created more bodies for the matrix, so to speak, or am I misinformed?

whitecoast said:
I've come across this movement before. I think they have good intentions, but I disagree they should go so far as to think humans should go extinct. The only realistic goal they seem to shooting for (according to their FAQ) is voluntary population reduction, via not reproducing. I'd count myself as a part of that type of movement. The counterbalance to the Be Fruitfil and Multiply folk. All those plans conspiracy theorists talk about re: the elite waging genocide on 80% of the population would seem to belong to the involuntary population reduction movement. :p

There are too many people alive, I think. But birth rates seem to be declining all over the world (or at least slowing) so I think it should sort itself out, pestilence or no.

Weren't the Essenes against reproduction on the grounds it just created more bodies for the matrix, so to speak, or am I misinformed?

I think the issue is that these people appear to be pushing their agenda through coercive means, I.E indoctrinating children.

Explorer said:
I think the issue is that these people appear to be pushing their agenda through coercive means, I.E indoctrinating children.

Indeed. I think children will miss the irony in the moral issue as I interpret it and I'm not by myself on this. Human intelligence in its capacity to perceive, understand and go about addressing the real problems on this planet is a higher moral value than social life in its demands for conformity with authoritative mouthings.

The vehement vhemt.org-ists demonstrate this very idea by "coming up with a solution", yet imply via indoctrination efforts that the value of human intellect is very far below everything else -including their intellect; that people should just stop doing what nature requires of humans who are part of the evolutionary 'selection' system. I think humans are biologically programmed to breed themselves out of scarcity as we see from what began with the advent of agriculture.

Plus, I don't think we've uncovered all the various facts and potentials that humans may represent as we serve in the hierarchy of consciousness of the planet. Yes, I know we feed and are fed upon and I know there are unsustainable numbers of people in the current environment of scarcity, but this situation will sort itself out. To those who advocate voluntary extinction, I say the same thing as I do to those who advocate vaccines: you go first.

Buddy said:
Explorer said:

Indeed. I think children will miss the irony in the moral issue as I interpret it and I'm not by myself on this. Human intelligence in its capacity to perceive, understand and go about addressing the real problems on this planet is a higher moral value than social life in its demands for conformity with authoritative mouthings.

The vehement vhemt.org-ists demonstrate this very idea by "coming up with a solution", yet imply via indoctrination efforts that the value of human intellect is very far below everything else -including their intellect; that people should just stop doing what nature requires of humans who are part of the evolutionary 'selection' system. I think humans are biologically programmed to breed themselves out of scarcity as we see from what began with the advent of agriculture.

Plus, I don't think we've uncovered all the various facts and potentials that humans may represent as we serve in the hierarchy of consciousness of the planet. Yes, I know we feed and are fed upon and I know there are unsustainable numbers of people in the current environment of scarcity, but this situation will sort itself out. To those who advocate voluntary extinction, I say the same thing as I do to those who advocate vaccines: you go first.

Besides the moral issues, its an illogical "solution". Its a good example of black and white thinking I'd say too. The logic goes, humans and the environment are in danger because of human behaviour acting on the environment. The solution, which isn't much of a solution is to reduce the human population.

Even if humans are reduced to say 5% of our current population it doesn't ensure less human impact on the environment because population isn't the main issue, its what that population does. That same 5% could always increase environmental damage potentially innumerable times. For example, one psychopath could destroy the earth and all on it, whether there is only 20 people on it or 20 trillion, it makes no substantial difference - it might happen regardless of population.

The major problem I reckon these groups have as far as coming up with solutions, is a denial of the fact that creating scarcity is a tool for those who would like to control people. If you suddenly have less people, would it be feasible psychopathic rulers will let go of an effective tool that's been used for millennia? Doubtfully I'd say.

alkhemst said:
Besides the moral issues, its an illogical "solution". Its a good example of black and white thinking I'd say too. The logic goes, humans and the environment are in danger because of human behaviour acting on the environment. The solution, which isn't much of a solution is to reduce the human population.

Yep, excellent points, OSIT.

Gurdjieff gave us a way of understanding the problem with these "if we could just change this one thing the whole problem will be solved" so-called solutions. He referred to it as the law of Reciprocal Maintenance. It serves as a kind of absolute reference for thought on these subjects - relative, but absolute within a domain like ecology for example, or even in the domain of "work on oneself."

It's not just about grokking that every entity at every level of abstraction is constrained to behaviors that maintain all the others. It's about a future-oriented world view that comprehends Earth and all of us on it as an integrated system. It's not just an intellectual framework, it's a very real change in a person's state of consciousness.

Frank White's study The Overview Effect (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1987) found that Astronauts and Cosmonauts experienced this change in consciousness when viewing the Earth from space. Apollo astronaut Edgar Mitchell's Institute of Noetic Sciences has also researched the implications of this experience.

This change in the state of conscious is a living Metanoia and is what is required for humanity to see through lies and actually do something useful that will lead to permanent, positive change in the world.

Apologies if I veered off on a tangent. How am I to stay on point or follow a line of force when I see everything as related to everything else? OK, give me a moment. It's just that it irks me when people-haters camouflaged as do-gooders poke their heads out of their closet where I can see them.

I don't have an excerpt on Gurdjieff's law of Reciprocal Maintenance to hand for relatively new readers to benefit from, but there's an explanation of it in ISOTM as it applies to personal work. All you have to do is look at it as an analogy as you extrapolate it to the subject field of ecology.

[quote author=ISOTM]
"Change under ordinary conditions is impossible, because, in wanting to change something a man wants to change this one thing only. But everything in the machine is interconnected and every function is inevitably counterbalanced by some other function or by a whole series of other functions, although we are not aware of this interconnection of the various functions within ourselves. The machine is balanced in all its details at every moment of its activity. If a man observes in himself something that he dislikes and begins making efforts to alter it, he may succeed in obtaining a certain result.

But together with this result he will inevitably obtain another result, which he did not in the least expect or desire and which he could not have suspected.

By striving to destroy and annihilate everything that he dislikes, by making efforts to this end, he upsets the balance of the machine. The machine strives to re-establish the balance and re-establishes it by creating a new function which the man could not have foreseen.

For instance, a man may observe that he is very absent-minded, that he forgets everything, loses everything, and so on. He begins to struggle with this habit and, if he is sufficiently methodical and determined, he succeeds, after a time, in attaining the desired result: he ceases to forget and to lose things. This he notices, but there is something else he does not notice, which other people notice, namely, that he has grown irritable, pedantic, fault-finding, disagreeable. Irritability has appeared as the result of his having lost his absent-mindedness.

Why? It is impossible to say. Only detailed analysis of a particular man's mental qualities can show why the loss of one quality has caused the appearance of another.

This does not mean that loss of absentmindedness must necessarily give rise to irritability. It is just as easy for some other characteristic to appear that has no relation to absent-mindedness at all, for instance Stinginess or envy or something else.

"So that if one is working on oneself properly, one must consider the possible supplementary changes, and take them into account beforehand. Only in this way is it possible to avoid undesirable changes, or the appearance of qualities which are utterly opposed to the aim and the direction of the work.
[/quote]

So, I'm thinking that Nature or the Cosmos is already on it.

Buddy said:
Apologies if I veered off on a tangent. How am I to stay on point or follow a line of force when I see everything as related to everything else? OK, give me a moment. It's just that it irks me when people-haters camouflaged as do-gooders poke their heads out of their closet where I can see them.

Actually, I thought that this is the only paragraph that broke the flow of your post -- which was to make an analogy between man in the integrated Earth system and absent-mindedness in the ISOTM excerpt you posted, if one were to adopt a black-and-white solution of just doing away with humans, yes?

Shijing said:
Buddy said:

Actually, I thought that this is the only paragraph that broke the flow of your post -- which was to make an analogy between man in the integrated Earth system and absent-mindedness in the ISOTM excerpt you posted, if one were to adopt a black-and-white solution of just doing away with humans, yes?

Yes, thank you for noticing. I didn't get the editing correct before I lost the option to modify. Since you preserved that portion in your quote for the readers' continuity of understanding, would you or someone else delete that paragraph for me as an edit to eliminate noise or whatever? I'd appreciate it.

Buddy said:
Yes, thank you for noticing. I didn't get the editing correct before I lost the option to modify. Since you preserved that portion in your quote for the readers' continuity of understanding, would you or someone else delete that paragraph for me as an edit to eliminate noise or whatever? I'd appreciate it.

I don't think it's necessary to remove it -- I thought that you made a good point that was relevant to the topic, and the way that you questioned it happened to catch my attention. It's just something to think about -- not what I would normally consider "noise", and certainly not a big deal.

Shijing said:
...the way that you questioned it happened to catch my attention. It's just something to think about...

Yeah, looking back on it I see what you mean. The original post was different, like more ranty, I think, so I changed it and posted before I was finished editing, then got distracted by something I needed to do here at home and didn't make it back in time. I'll pay more attention to that in the future, since it would make for better writing. :)

Thanks, PopHistorian!
I really find it too crazy. It is true that the planet is overpopulated, but this does not look good. The worse, manipulating children.
Buddy, I think all your contributions in general, including this topic, are enriching. The opposite of noise.

Buddy said:
alkhemst said:
Frank White's study The Overview Effect (Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1987) found that Astronauts and Cosmonauts experienced this change in consciousness when viewing the Earth from space. Apollo astronaut Edgar Mitchell's Institute of Noetic Sciences has also researched the implications of this experience.

Greetings, I came upon this video and realized the idea was shared, so here is more. I do enjoy sky watching so seeing the earth from above does change one's thinking. _https://medium.com/looking-up/252511d18bc3

Edit=Quote

Back
Top Bottom