Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show

PepperFritz

The Cosmic Force
Did anyone else watch this year's Westminster Kennel Club Dog show this week?

How about that cutey-pie STUMP? A 10-year-old Sussex Spaniel who overcame a serious illness, then came out of retirement to beat all the youngins and win "Best in Show"! He has a special place in my heart because he looks so much like my old cockerspaniel "Ben", who lived to be 16 years old.....

You can watch Stump's triumphant win on this video (you can skip to the end to see the final result):
http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/videos/fullep/group.html?id=1010522

226xRefer.jpg

My cousin/housemate and I have a household of animals and are fervently opposed to people owning animals unless they are prepared to give them as "natural" a life as possible, i.e. the kind of life the particular animal and breed are meant to live. For that reason, some aspects of dog breeding and showing is extremely repugnant to us. But we enjoy watching the Hound, Working, and Sporting groups being shown, as the dogs involved are either well loved house pets given the kind of exercise and stimulation they require, or actual working dogs out there hunting and working with their owners in the outdoors. We love the celebration of these magnificent animals and breeds. And we were so pleased to see an older working dog like Stump win "Best in Show" this year....

Speaking of, if you've never watched the movie Best In Show, check it out. A hilarious parody of real life Westminster dog show and their participants, directed by Christopher Guest.

Hmmm - I wonder if Lizards have Westminster Human Shows...

Good point.

However, beware: 3rd density STS orientation includes the thought of "dominion" over 2nd density, and this is merely a continuation of the energy buildups of the approach of The Wave... Some of the lessons are interesting indeed. When you assume that capture and imprisonment of those of lesser capacity than you is for "their good," why should not you expect those of greater capacity than you to assume the same regarding you?!? We would like you to ponder this further. We suspect there is much to be gained from insights lurking there.

I know I've brought this up before. Are these Cassiopaean words here appropriate or not?
I feel horror at this. I don't know too much about the Lizards, but aren't they involved in genetic manipulation, breeding and parades / shows of their manipulations too?

These dog shows creep me out.

It has been said that humans are kept as pets on other planets/realms.

Yes, these dogs are pampered and well fed/cared for, but they are NOT free.

I just watched the movie "Best In Show" a couple weekends ago. OMG, that was very FUNNY, and I highly recommend.

Here Here!! Lets hear it for the dog show! They are beautiful animals and some of the best and smartest as well :D I especially enjoyed the joke about the Olympics (I kinda agree.. lol) But as for feeling horror over the issue, I don't think you should. It most definitely is a crime what some people do with the lives they are entrusted but in the end I think what matters is what You choose to do. I come from a family that has always had, and loved, dogs. Currently my brothers both have doggies. One has a Lab/Chow mix and a little Schnauzer mix (we're not really sure what else is in her!) both aquired from shelters. My other brother has a Sheltie. I don't have pets myself but I do donate to the ASPCA every month. I would like to think its helping some of those animals :)

Kel said:
These dog shows creep me out.... Yes, these dogs are pampered and well fed/cared for, but they are NOT free....

Well, Kel, as the saying goes around here, the devil is in the details.

The same mix of people, intentions, motivations, orientations, etc. that are in the general population are usually involved in any particular "activity". Therefore, in the dog breeding/showing world you will have the "worst" kind of participants -- rich, vain and shallow narcissistic control-freaks who view their dogs no differently than they would a high-end luxury car, an object to be paraded as a reflexion of the "good taste" of its owner. And at the other end of the spectrum you will have the "best" kind: Those who have genuine love and appreciation for their animal companions, and work hard to give them a good home and life, and whose primary objective in breeding and showing is to continue the value and beauty of a particular breed. And then you will have all of the participants in between.

Personally, I have never, and probably would never, buy from a breeder a purebred dog as a companion, when there are so many dogs out there in shelters who need good homes. However, I must confess that I have always hankered after a Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever, a breed whose beauty, qualities, and talents I greatly admire. And if I ever had enough disposable income to purchase one from a breeder, who knows if I would succumb? But I know that if I were a farmer in need of a good herding dog, I would go to a breeder to get a Border-Collie or BlueHeeler who LIVES to herd. And if I were involved in search-and-rescue, I'd go to a breeder to get a BloodHound who LIVES to track. And if I were blind, I'd go to a breeder who specializes in seeing-eye dogs. And if I were a woman living alone in a high-crime area, I'd want a breed known and bred for its "watchdog" abilities. etc. etc. etc.

I love dogs, always have, some cats are cool too. Check this talking dog video out, it is a hoot.

http://www.reflectionsofsouthbreeze.com/Pages/RealTalkingDogs.htm

Mark said:
I love dogs, always have, some cats are cool too. Check this talking dog video out, it is a hoot.
http://www.reflectionsofsouthbreeze.com/Pages/RealTalkingDogs.htm

Warning: Do not watch the above video in the middle of the night. I watched it around 1am, and laughed so hard I ended up waking up the whole house....

That was a hoot!

If you haven't seen this one, enjoy:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=9860.msg71928#msg71928

Back
Top Bottom