What are you listening to?

This just suddenly popped up in my head.

Lyrics.

In the middle of the night
I go walking in my sleep
From the mountains of faith
To the river so deep
I must be looking for something
Something sacred I lost
But the river is wide
And it's too hard to cross
Even though I know the river is wide
I walk down every evening and I stand on the shore
I try to cross to the opposite side
So I can finally find out what I've been looking for
I go walking in my sleep
Through the valley of fear
To a river so deep
I've been searching for something
Taken out of my soul
Something I'd never lose
Something somebody stole
I don't know why I go walking at night
But now I'm tired and I don't want to walk anymore
I hope it doesn't take the rest of my life
Until I find what it is that I've been looking for
I go walking in my sleep
Through the jungle of doubt
To a river so deep
I know I'm searching for something
Something so undefined
That it can only be seen
By the eyes of the blind
I'm not sure about a life after this
God knows I've never been a spiritual man
Baptized by the fire, I wade into the river
That runs to the promised land
I go walking in my sleep
Through the desert of truth
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams

I have been mixing it up and trying to maintain a balance of positive soulful happiness (completely different genres), but more occasionally now I'm listening to different choral settings of the 'Lamentations of Jeremiah'. Traditionally this music is reserved for Holy Week in the Christian calendar, and describes the destruction of Jerusalem in 586 BCE (Book of Lamentations - Wikipedia)

Some examples from the best (divinely inspired) composers include:

Victoria

Palestrina

Lassus

Lassus - Lamentations a 5. Lamentatio secunda, primi diei (2/9).

Although the words are in Latin, they still portray a sadness and solemness, and while it's describing a destruction there are still some glimpses in the chord progressions that are hopeful. The last time I properly listened to the Lamentations by different composers was in 2011. Within 3 months, there was a major cyclone in Australia (January, Cyclone Yasi), the Christchurch Earthquake (February, NZ), and the Japan Tsunami (March). It seemed to be progressing towards the hype of 2012, but for a period of time and particularly in starting a new year, to me it really felt like the world was getting a good work out before some kind of final blow. These times right now, it's not so much the physical destruction from natural events but the mental destruction of so many minds, from every corner of the globe. Physical cataclysms have been overcome many times previously, including the previously described destruction, but mental ones in this day and age we will see.

Personally this music is a reminder of the times and acknowledges the somber reality but maintains a spark of hope; that while there is still a spark in some people, they will not let that spark extinguish but will grow stronger, and lead others who share that same belief - that is what this music inspires in me.

Edit - Addition, I can also point to Spotify albums if that's appropriate. YouTube is easily accessible but by no means extensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom