What are you listening to?

A few oldies from that most badass gang of 80s hard rockers, Guns n' Roses. Warning; language is slightly spicy. I still recall when I first heard GnR as a kid in school, around 1988. They shook the cobwebs out of my head for sure. DCM bless my elder brother for sharing his considerable rock music selection with me. It's hard to explain how necessary and welcome they were back then, a perfect antidote to the anodyne pop music of the times.

UK electronica duo Plaid are legends of the scene for a good 30 years now. They started out being into techno, but drifted off into a space wholly of their own. Very influential, and a lesson to any synth nerd in terms of how to layer out counterpoints in one's music.

UK electronica duo Plaid are legends of the scene for a good 30 years now. They started out being into techno, but drifted off into a space wholly of their own. Very influential, and a lesson to any synth nerd in terms of how to layer out counterpoints in one's music.

Really like this group....thanks for sharing! Can hear a smidge of Shed 7 at times. I like the buzzing of the electricity that is going on in the background....cool. One of my favourite things is discovering new music. I will have to find the time to go through what's been posted so far.

Really like this group....thanks for sharing! Can hear a smidge of Shed 7 at times. I like the buzzing of the electricity that is going on in the background....cool. One of my favourite things is discovering new music. I will have to find the time to go through what's been posted so far.

You're welcome! I first got into this music back in the late 90's, it was an amazing music scene in London (where I was living) during that time. A great time for musical innovation. Plaid were arguably the Godfathers of the UK early techno scene, and then they became something radically different, without ever losing their sense of adventure. Glad you enjoyed the tunes!:cool2:

A selection of tunes from the 1987 hit album "Music for the Masses" by Depeche Mode. The second track, "little 15", is a real curio. A pop song written from the perspective of a Mother worrying about what will become of her teenage son? For a good 10 years Depeche were the most consistent band in the UK, and they inspired countless future bands too.

Some final offerings from the 'Mode. Emotionally melodramatic electronica. They document what seeing reality does to the rational mind, and then seek release from it all. It's an interesting dynamic to investigate, and Martin Gore has explored it well.

Amen to the 'Mode. "Clean" represents their most raw moment, slightly riffing off some early Floyd with the key motif. "World in My Eyes" represents the perfect distillation of what they were about as a band. By this point in their career they were global superstars, but never lost their working class Basildon mannerisms. Much like REM, they wear their fame well.

Back
Top Bottom