What food do you usualy serve to your dogs ?

Freya said:
Thanks so much for your Veterinary advise,

DITTO THAT!! Lilly is on the diet he recommends, and she can jump up on my bed again ...I had to help her up just a few months ago. Squirrels are no longer safe on the front porch either. The difference in her vigor and appearance is nothing short of AMAZING!

After seeing the change in Lilly, three of my friends have switched their dogs to raw meat, with a few veggies since we can't find green tripe up here. The word is spreading, SLOWLY, about commercial dog food.

I still feel VERY guilty for feeding my best friends essentially expensive sacks of poison for decades, but every dog and cat that lives with me from now on will get Herr Eisenheim's diet.

Hi April , sorry for belated reply I only saw this now.
25 Pounds is too much for a Pug. Ideal weight for a Pug is around 8kg.
So this is your target weight.

Here is the basic diet plan
• 170 g lean beef ( to add variety beef can be substituted with chicken, rabbit, lamb or fish- fresh or sardines, avoid tuna)
or
• 170 g chicken, beef, pork liver, hearts or kidney ( you shouldn't feed liver and kidneys more the once or maximum twice a week. )
Sear lightly (just enough to take off the bloody edge), I found that most dogs prefer liver slightly cooked then raw.
mix with
2.25 cups of these:
Green beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, greens like spinach and kale, squash and zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower – cooked, chopped or blenderized
OR:
0.75 cup - Cooked Beans, Chickpeas, and lentils
OR
1.5 cup – raw grated carrots, banana or melon chopped or blenderized.
Carrots you can mix with meet while bananas or melon you can feed separately.

ALWAYS MIX WITH
• Salmon Oil or other Fish Oil, one capsule daily. Mix in food. Omit this on days you feed sardines or fish as the main protein source.
• 1 tbsp Olive oil (extra virgin or cold pressed is best)
• Approximately 1200mg calcium (1/2 tbsp Bone Meal or use crushed tablets for human consumption such calcium carbonate, lactate, gluconate, or chelated calcium which might be more costly)

If your dog is able to and will eat raw chicken necks ( which you should offer at least once a week) or any other meaty bones on a regular bases then you dont need to supplement calcium.
You will know if your dog needs calcium as when they do they usually start nibbling and licking on the walls.

Guardian said:
I still feel VERY guilty for feeding my best friends essentially expensive sacks of poison for decades, but every dog and cat that lives with me from now on will get Herr Eisenheim's diet.
Don't beat yourself too much about this Guardian. The pet food industry is one big mean monster which has most of the veterinary establishment in its clutches. Its the same like with our own bodies, think of all these years you have been stuffing yourself with gluten and casein. Its not your fault.
Once you know about and you are informed - then it becomes your fault.

Anyhow its never too late, isn't it amazing how quickly body responds to proper nutrition.

Herr Eisenheim said:
Anyhow its never too late, isn't it amazing how quickly body responds to proper nutrition.

It really is! We were already crying and saying our "goodbyes" because we weren't going to let her suffer. Now she's chomping chicken wings and chasing squirrels....and 14 is not young for a big dog. Her hips are still a little weak at the end of the day, but the DMSO has made a HUGE difference there too.

I feel STUPID for feeding a carnivore food that's majority grain. Unlike most people, I've always eaten mostly meat...I really should have thought of doing the same for my dog. I fell for the "Science Diet" type dog food programing.

Speaking of friends following your advice, one of my oldest and dearest friends Omega is here for a visit, and she has her new rescue puppy with her. A darling German Shepard named "Gaby"

She's fully committed to feeding Gaby a raw meat diet.

My question is should the diet be modified in any way for a puppy that's approx. 3 months of age?

THANKS!

Herr Eisenheim said:

• 170 g lean beef ( to add variety beef can be substituted with chicken, rabbit, lamb or fish- fresh or sardines, avoid tuna)
or
• 170 g chicken, beef, pork liver, hearts or kidney ( you shouldn't feed liver and kidneys more the once or maximum twice a week. )
Sear lightly (just enough to take off the bloody edge), I found that most dogs prefer liver slightly cooked then raw.
mix with
2.25 cups of these:
Green beans, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, greens like spinach and kale, squash and zucchini, cabbage, cauliflower – cooked, chopped or blenderized
OR:
OR

ALWAYS MIX WITH
• Salmon Oil or other Fish Oil, one capsule daily. Mix in food. Omit this on days you feed sardines or fish as the main protein source.
• Approximately 1200mg calcium (1/2 tbsp Bone Meal or use crushed tablets for human consumption such calcium carbonate, lactate, gluconate, or chelated calcium which might be more costly)

If your dog is able to and will eat raw chicken necks ( which you should offer at least once a week) or any other meaty bones on a regular bases then you dont need to supplement calcium.
You will know if your dog needs calcium as when they do they usually start nibbling and licking on the walls.

25 pounds is too heavy for a Pug and we are working on that :) Thank you very much for the information!

Guardian said:
My question is should the diet be modified in any way for a puppy that's approx. 3 months of age?

THANKS!
GS qualifies as a large breed. Therefore your friend needs to be careful to supplement calcium until the pup gets permanent teeth. Then she should regularly feed meaty bones and poultry necks.
A wholesome raw diet rich in good protein and fats should be enough, the common mistake with commercial puppy foods is that they cause very fast growth and in large breeds this is undesirable.

Herr Eisenheim said:

or
mix with
2.25 cups of these:
OR:
OR

ALWAYS MIX WITH

To ensure that I am interpreting the instructions correctly...

You choose 170g of one of the meat choices then choose one of the vegetable mixes or beans then add the salmon oil, olive oil and calcium to the mix?

How much of this mixture and how many times a day do I feed my Pug? Do I combine that stuff then divide into two meals or does she get those amounts twice a day?

Should I reduce the amount of oil since she has a tendency towards Pancreatitis? She had a bad episode back in 2008 but has been pretty good since then. Sometimes she has some tummy upsets here and there but not the full blown excruciatingly painful episode she was almost hospitalized for in 2008.

Thank you so much again!

Posted by: Herr Eisenheim
Hi Laurie, one tin with some mashed vegetables, cooked buckwheat groats or quinoa can be one complete meal for the dog of this weight. Sardines could be fed twice a week. Apart from sardines you can also try mackerel.
As for the rest of her menu you are doing fine - it would be much better if you could serve some raw meat at least twice a week, especially organ meat such as heart, kidneys and liver.
Don't forget dogs ( an all carnivores) can go without food for several days with no consequences, as the matter some experts advise fasting your dog for one day at least once a week, but I dont have heart to do this to my dog Smiley

Herr Eisenheim,

Thank you so much for your advise. Like many people here, my pup is like my child. Not only am I grateful to be able to feed her healthy meals, but I am also happy to see how much she enjoys them as well as her improved quality of life.

I had read somewhere about the one day a week fast. I did try it once but found that, I too, would have to fast one day a week! How can I sit there and eat with her patiently waiting at my feet, with her cute eyes staring at me while she licks her lips in anticipation!! I don't have the heart. We do occasionally eat light meals, maybe that is enough to compensate!

But now that you bring it up, I should probably not bother with the dry food. She doesn't really eat it anyway, but as a mother! I worry about my young!! I know that I could call a friend or neighbor to take her out in the event of an emergency, but my feeding instructions might be a little too much to ask!!

Thank you again for your help, I picked up some kidney today, it doesn't appeal to me in the least, but I can't wait to see her enjoy her special treat!

Laurie

Hi April,
170 g of meat is her daily ratio of protein, until she goes down to 8kg of bw. Then you can feed her maximum 200g daily, if she starts gaining weight go back to 170g and stay at this level. There are individual differences in metabolism and you should play with this until you find the perfect quantity that works for your dog.
The same goes for recommended carbohydrates.
Best is to feed this divided in two meals, since your dog has tendency to pancreatitis you could even divide it in 3 meals.

In my opinion pancreatitis in dogs is caused by overload of complex carbs commonly found in commercial foods. Carnivores are even worse then us when it comes to dealing with grains. Most commercial pet foods are full of wheat, barley,corn and even soy.
You can eliminate olive oil but fish oil is ok. Avoid banana and melon and also other fruits. Always offer food at room temperature as this aids digestion.

Use vitamin C regularly 250 to 1000 mg, 3 times a day- decrease the dose if diarrhea occurs (same as with humans). Also give 100IU of vit E daily to prevent pancreatic scarring.

Here is Dr. Pitcairn's advice for prevention of panreatitis in dogs which is also very important :
Pitcairn said:
Prevention consists partly of a properly balanced natural diet coupled with regular and adequate exercise. Exercise is important because it improves digestion and peristaltic movements of the intestinal tract. It also keeps weight under control.
Do not overfeed your dog, because obesity is predisposing factor to pancreatitis.

Herr Eisenheim said:
Hi April,
170 g of meat is her daily ratio of protein, until she goes down to 8kg of bw. Then you can feed her maximum 200g daily, if she starts gaining weight go back to 170g and stay at this level. There are individual differences in metabolism and you should play with this until you find the perfect quantity that works for your dog.
The same goes for recommended carbohydrates.
Best is to feed this divided in two meals, since your dog has tendency to pancreatitis you could even divide it in 3 meals.

In my opinion pancreatitis in dogs is caused by overload of complex carbs commonly found in commercial foods. Carnivores are even worse then us when it comes to dealing with grains. Most commercial pet foods are full of wheat, barley,corn and even soy.
You can eliminate olive oil but fish oil is ok. Avoid banana and melon and also other fruits. Always offer food at room temperature as this aids digestion.

Use vitamin C regularly 250 to 1000 mg, 3 times a day- decrease the dose if diarrhea occurs (same as with humans). Also give 100IU of vit E daily to prevent pancreatic scarring.

Here is Dr. Pitcairn's advice for prevention of panreatitis in dogs which is also very important :
Pitcairn said:
Prevention consists partly of a properly balanced natural diet coupled with regular and adequate exercise. Exercise is important because it improves digestion and peristaltic movements of the intestinal tract. It also keeps weight under control.
Do not overfeed your dog, because obesity is predisposing factor to pancreatitis.

Thank you VERY VERY much!

Back
Top Bottom