what next? reading and the work.

kenney

Padawan Learner
i just finished a very in depth reading of the Fourth Way, i managed to take about 15 pages of solid notes and highlights that I sit and go over once a day to refresh my focus. I found it very easy to loose track of some of the earliest concepts as the book progressed into the later chapters. I make it my goal to discover something or make at least some noticeble effort in this vain every day no matter how the day goes.

the question I ask is, "what next?" I cracked open ISOTM this morning, it read more like a story, and less the cerebral gymnastics of the Fourth Way. Do I keep attacking Ouspenksy's works? Move to Gurdjieff himself? Obtain some of these psychopathy works,that everyone is discussing of late? Read some other works from the esoteric list?

In truth I know I quickly identify with a certain work of writing in general and loose myself in it. I would like some advice/direction before I find myself lost chasing my own tail in the same place. The book lists are indeed long and there must be an order that follows a reasonable path that I should take.

I have been soaking up all I can. so far I have read from the reading list:

Adventures
The Wave
Unholy Hungers
Sanity in the Mirror
The Fourth Way
Narcissistic Family
Trapped in the Mirror
Ra
ISOTM (about a quarter of the way through it)

thx
kenney

I would have suggested ISOTM before the 4th Way - so, yes, if I were you, I'd continue reading ISOTM. There is a lot of valuable information in that book and it can be taken as a fairly accurate account. If you've not listened to the podcasts on In Search of the Miraculous, do so - they're very good and can be found through the podcast link on the SoTT front page. fwiw.

I agree, reading ISOTM all the way through is worth it. It ties together the ideas in 4th way in a more relational way through the stories and narrative than the Fourth Way book. I think this provides a sort of application where you can better see the progression and development of fourth way concepts. It took me a long time to really grok what some of the concepts mean even after reading ISOTM, and its an ongoing process as you continue to practice it and network here.

thx, I am working on it. May as well ponder what is next won't take too long to read through this as it reads nice and smooth. Ouspensky is actually a well organized writer for the most part, imo.

Things like All and Everything and Gnosis look very interesting to me, but they are such large works.

Los said:
I agree, reading ISOTM all the way through is worth it. It ties together the ideas in 4th way in a more relational way through the stories and narrative than the Fourth Way book. I think this provides a sort of application where you can better see the progression and development of fourth way concepts. It took me a long time to really grok what some of the concepts mean even after reading ISOTM, and its an ongoing process as you continue to practice it and network here.

i see what you mean completely. At the same time it was like having someone offering me the way on one hand but telling me I would never get there on the other. so many glimpses and hints always well insulated with the reinforcement "you can not do this alone." i never read a book before that made feel so good and depressed at the same time. I will have to re-read it in a couple of weeks. the tables of energies and and most of the octave tables didn't find their spot in me yet.

should I tackle the larger works and stay with gurdjieff? or just read whatever until I re-read ISOTM and have a good grip on every single chapter?

Kenney:

I'll just interject here and remind you of the importance of balancing your reading about the Work with DO-ing the Work. You seem a bit "driven" to keep reading, reading, reading, and I just want to remind you to make sure you are taking the time to apply what you are reading into your daily life. The Work can become rather "theoretical" for those of an intellectual bent (I speak from experience!) and it is the daily practice that represents the real challenge....

:)

I agree with you whole heartedly PepperFritz. I tend to identify with what I am doing and become lost in it, especially if ti is reading. i did that with the Ra books and that lasted five or six years. At the same time i just read a lot, which is why I asked for guidance on what to read. i could totally see myself reading every single thing by and about Gurdjieff having it all packed in my head like a filing cabinet and knowing nothing.

I will just start with breaking my habit of reading reading reading. Give it time to sink in and apply. Start a band, dig some holes in the yard, or something. :)

Back
Top Bottom