What's Really in Your Shampoo?

Seamus

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/191242-What-s-Really-in-Your-Shampoo-

I don't mean to spam or advertise products, but if anyone is looking for a great, and reasonably priced alternative to commercial soaps, you might consider using Dr. Bronner's (_http://www.drbronner.com/faqs_main.html) pure castile soap. The soaps are made from organic and fair trade ingredients. Besides using it as shampoo, you can wash your clothes with it, wash your dishes, your floor, and they even claim you can brush your teeth with it! (thats not something I'm too keen on, but my friend says she does it sometimes). Ok I'll stop before I get carried away, I think their website and their products speak for themselves.

Well I am glad that I stopped using shampoos for quite sometime now. My hair feels just fine and time and again the person cutting my hair is surprised to learn that I don't use shampoo on my hair!! :cool2:

I started going 'no-poo' shortly after reading the Glycerin Soap thread - I use the baking soda and apple cider mixtures (separate mixtures!) a couple of times a week and my hair feels soft and strong. I've often had psoriasis on my scalp but I haven't had it since going 'no-poo'; however, I also started the detox dieting around the same time so there could be a couple of factors at work.

A lot of bad things can go into the organism through the skin. The PTB know about it. So commercials shampoo are not necessarily our best friends. What are you using to wash your hairs? Would be interesting to know if you manage to find the right formula.

Yes, I'm avoiding commercial shampoos for years, this is what I'm using:
Druid natural hair soap with herbs

Active ingredients:

Burdock root extract - Influences faster hair growth, effectively fights dandruff and improves the condition of damaged hair, making it smoother, longer and shinier
Nettle extract - Has a positive effect on oily hair, strengthens and shines it and improves blood circulation in the scalp which stimulates new hair growth
Castor oil - Normalizes sebum secretion, has antibacterial and antifungal properties and nourishes hair roots, which makes their growth faster
Neem oil - is responsible for nourishing and moisturizing the hair, making it smooth and shiny, and maintains the proper pH level of the skin

The soap contains:

Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Linseed Oil, Neem Oil, Burdock Root Extract, Nettle Extract, Essential Oils, Vitamin C+E, Aloe Vera.

What are you using to wash your hairs? Would be interesting to know if you manage to find the right formula.
I use liquid castile soap as a base. I usually just mix it with water and add a few drops of essential oil. However, I have also experimented with adding other ingredients such as keratin or red clay. I have been washing my hair this way for many years and haven't had any problems.

Yes, I'm avoiding commercial shampoos for years, this is what I'm using:
Thanks for recommending this soap. It looks interesting.

I use Dr Bronners for showering and sometimes on my hair. It feels good on the scalp, but leaves a greasy feeling on the hair. I do brush my teeth with it sometimes I mostly use the peppermint kind, but they have other scents as well. I have also used it for cleaning and washing. It works really well for almost everything. It's pretty expensive, but I get it at discount prices at a "scratch and dent" store.

I'm not a fan of the no poo method. I experimented with it back in 2015 and it ravaged my hair. Baking soda has a very harsh effect on hair and can lead to cuticle damage and hair breakage, frizz, and irritation.

Apple cider vinegar can be helpful, but it must be diluted before applying to hair or skin (2-4TBS per 16 oz of water).

The reason why using natural products to clean the hair like castile soap or other harsh surfactants on a regular basis is not the best approach is that our skin and hair thrive at a more acidic ph: about 4.7 for skin and 4-5 for hair. The skin has an acid mantle that protects us from harmful and pathogenic bacteria. Chronic use of highly alkaline substances like soap and baking soda break down this naturally protective barrier.

Skin has a protective film on its surface that’s known as its acid mantle. The acid mantle plays a vital role by working with skin-natural ingredients like ceramides, cholesterol, enzymes, sweat, and even our skin’s own oil to protect skin’s surface and lower layers from external threats.

Skin’s acidic pH also plays a role in keeping its delicate microbiome balanced. An acidic microbiome makes it more difficult for harmful pathogens to multiply but lets the good stuff flourish.

Don't get me wrong, I think soap has it's place. I still use it to wash my hands and occasionally my body, like after a sauna. Jojoba oil can be a good cleanser as it is molecularly similar to our skin's own sebum (more for skin than hair, but great as a hair oil). A mixture of yogurt and honey works well as a shampoo. I've recently been looking into using clay to clean the hair and I've been using a product that is a combination of clay, oils, and acids:
But you can buy clay and mix with water to make a clay wash for a simpler option.

One note is that the first time I used it, I totally missed that they recommend to dilute this product before using. It will really dry your hair out if you try to use it like a regular shampoo. I've actually started using it as a body wash and the conditioner, which is creamier, as a hair and face wash.

I also used a yucca based shampoo in the past. Yucca is a plant that contains soap like saponins but it has an acidic ph as a hair care ingredient.

It might be good to refer back to the session from September 23, 2023:

Laura said:
A: Jubilee of Cassiopaea. Hair is important for tuning.

Q: (L) So why do you say hair is important for tuning?

A: Andromeda wants to wash hers.

Q: (L) Well I washed mine this afternoon.

A: Yes. Very receptive/perceptive of you!

(Andromeda) I was joking when I said I needed to wash my hair, but now that you mention it...

Q: (L) Yeah, now that you mention it... Yeah. Receptive. Are you saying my hair is receptive, perceptive?

A: Yes

Q: (L) Even with my curls?

Q: (L) Alright. Is that why I'm always driven to have curls? Because it increases the receptive perceptiveness?

Q: (L) Alright.

(Pierre) Because of the spiral.

This is a link to my post where I take a look at how modern hair products and styling may be altering the chemical composition of hair to make us more vulnerable to undesirable frequencies.

As hair gets damaged and its chemical bonds broken, certain conditioning ingredients can be used to fill in these damaged spots temporarily until they are washed out. An example would be proteins typically from grains.

I am currently experimenting with hydrolyzed silk protein as a conditioning agent and other topical applications. With the sessions describing silk as protective, I'm wondering if there still may be some protection in this form. All I've found officially is that it may protect against UV radiation, but I have to wonder from the sessions if it blocks (or reflects?) other types of radiation as well.

I'm not sure how I would quantify it, but I want to try combining it with copper peptide next and see if that would increase the protective properties. My thought is to utilize this combination in a leave in hair product and an all purpose moisturizer/mineral sunscreen for total body coverage. More on this later.

Here is a great book that I read a few years ago about how our perception of cleanliness and what we do to care for our external terrain has been heavily influenced by companies marketing products to us for decades. It also goes deeper into how the products we use disrupt our skin's microbiome.
The book is called Clean: The New Science of Skin by James Hamblin
Keeping skin healthy is a booming industry, and yet it seems like almost no one agrees on what actually works. Confusing messages from health authorities and ineffective treatments have left many people desperate for reliable solutions. An enormous alternative industry is filling the void, selling products that are often of questionable safety and totally unknown effectiveness.

In Clean, doctor and journalist James Hamblin explores how we got here, examining the science and culture of how we care for our skin today. He talks to dermatologists, microbiologists, allergists, immunologists, aestheticians, bar-soap enthusiasts, venture capitalists, Amish people, theologians, and straight-up scam artists, trying to figure out what it really means to be clean. He even experiments with giving up showers entirely, and discovers that he is not alone.

Along the way, he realizes that most of our standards of cleanliness are less related to health than most people think. A major part of the picture has been missing: a little-known ecosystem known as the skin microbiome - the trillions of microbes that live on our skin and in our pores.

These microbes are not dangerous; they’re more like an outer layer of skin that no one knew we had, and they influence everything from acne, eczema, and dry skin to how we smell. The new goal of skin care will be to cultivate a healthy biome - and to embrace the meaning of “clean” in the natural sense. This can mean doing much less, saving time, money, energy, water, and plastic bottles in the process.

Lucid, accessible, and deeply researched, Clean explores the ongoing, radical change in the way we think about our skin, introducing listeners to the emerging science that will be at the forefront of health and wellness conversations in coming years.

I don't mean to spam or advertise products, but if anyone is looking for a great, and reasonably priced alternative to commercial soaps, you might consider using Dr. Bronner's (_http://www.drbronner.com/faqs_main.html) pure castile soap. The soaps are made from organic and fair trade ingredients. Besides using it as shampoo, you can wash your clothes with it, wash your dishes, your floor, and they even claim you can brush your teeth with it! (thats not something I'm too keen on, but my friend says she does it sometimes). Ok I'll stop before I get carried away, I think their website and their products speak for themselves.
We use the unscented Dr Bronner products, lip balm, soap, liquid soap, magic balm (it’s magical for all parts of the body)

I can attest to this it being a very good quality, versatile product. And you might have a whole lot of fun reading the quotes and inscription on the packaging too, the one litre liquid soap gets all godly like … cute

Back
Top Bottom