What's the weather where you are?

Drought officially ended in Hungary, ~90 miles west of the Ukrainian border with getting ample rain on two occasions in the last couple days. Both rains well soaked the soil. Grass is starting to grow on top of the yellow, drought-burned patches.

One anomaly to note: we have three separately rooted grape vines (the whole fruit-bearing section is ~25 feet long) and the one in the middle started going ripe and produce sweet grapes a month earlier than the two in the middle.
Strange.. as if the middle grape vine plant fell into some '4thD time-vortex' or something. :D

Spring has sprung here in NSW Australia with blue skies and a top of 20*C along the Mid North Coast today. Forecast is for rain and cooler temps over the next few days; nonetheless, it’s so nice to feel the change in season and see flowers starting to bloom.

IMG_20220902_075606782.jpgIMG_20220902_075606782.jpg

Woke up to a massive storm in Kefalonia. Four waterspouts, rainbows and very strange lightning. Impossible to capture on my phone camera but this is one of the spouts. Last night we saw orange flashes in the clouds, unlike anything I've seen before.

I'm supposed to be climbing the highest mountain on the island today, so wish me luck!

Stockholm, Sweden
5 Sep 2022

BRRRR.

It's gotten cold, plain and simple.
While the daytime temperatures are still quite pleasant around 13-17°C (which lies a bit below the normal MAX, which is in average 17-18°C). A week ago we had 27°(80.6°F).

But the night temperatures are in the range of ground frost; down to 0°C in the extreme outer suburbs, higher of course in the very center of Stockholm. (The average normal MIN for this time of the year in the city is 11°C, but right in this moment it's 7°C and 4°C at Bromma City Airport)

Here is a screen dump of the temperatures 20 minutes ago. (PS: I changed the color scale from the original)

_-2022-09-05-at-05.36.50.jpg

Water vs Air temperatures

A fascinating example happened at the big island in the Baltic Sea, called Gotland. There in the morning of 3 Sep 2022, the temperature at the airport right outside of Visby town, went down to a mere +1.7°C (33.8°F), while at the same time the sea temperatures outside was 17°C (62.6°F), and further away you can still encounter a high value of 18°C in the water (and almost 21°C / 69.8°C at the island of Öland !! )

What puzzles me is, that despite the (for us) high water temperatures still allowed the air temperature to drop so much, just slightly inland going down to 1.7°C (33.8°F)

On top, it is funny that only a week ago [28 Aug 2022], Gotland (Town of Visby) had a tropical night (above 20°C minimum), and a max temperature of a whopping 29.4°C.

_-2022-09-03-at-13.00.50.jpg_-2022-09-03-at-04.51.49.jpg

"Deluge" started in Hungary, ~90 miles west of the Ukrainian border

As if the weather realized it had to make up for the lack of rain for the entire drought-stricken summer...

We are having mild thunder accompanied by intermittent rains. Started in the afternoon in a short, summer-storm style, where we had sheets of rain in a couple minutes, then stopped.

Since then its raining intermittently in a medium intense manner. During EE POTS the electricity went away, so I had to re-listen to the last part more than an hour later.

Let's hope, that the electric pump at the Artesian well didn't flood..

Stockholm, Sweden
10 Sep 2022

The overall weather up here has been OK - but i miss that "late summer feeling". The month of September started with very cold nights, close to freezing temperatures 0°C / 32°C in the outer suburbs, which lasted almost a week. *brrr*

Chilly and dry

In general, the weather in Sweden this far has been a lot colder than normal, as you can see from the first chart for the first 9 days in September 2022 - especially along the east coast including Stockholm. The lack of rain is once again an issue here. (illustration 2)

ttmk2209.jpg rrmk2209.jpg

As of lately

the nights have thankfully gotten a lot milder (more normal), while daytime temperatures have been ok-ish at around 14-16°C (with one exception of 21.4°C).

The outlook looks rather cold, except for the next two days with temperatures up to 19°C - but then the models insists on low temperatures where SMHI predicts a mere 9°C (48.2°F) in a week - which would be a lot below normal (=15°C/59°F )

This morning

Around 6 in the morning - before sunrise - the sky turned all yellow-orange - so of course I stepped out onto the balcony to take some photos. The winds were still, and a brief, very light rain was falling... while the sky seemed to be in flames. The whole moment had a very special aura to it, just standing there and watching... (while my socks got wet)

2022-09-10-06-06-54.jpg

2022-09-10-06-06-47.jpg

Eastern NC: 78F today and overcast. I notice that tobacco is just starting to be harvested. Usually it is fully harvested by the end of August. It takes 4-6 weeks to harvest a field as it has to be done in several passes, and only when the bottom leaves are ready. So we are about a month behind schedule. Never seen that before.

Stockholm, Sweden
20 Sep 2022

Today we had (for a change) a mild day with 17-18°C in Stockholm but the whole impression i got about September this far, is chilly. Apparently the average is still 2-3°C below normal. Earlier late afternoon temperatures were often only around 10-12°C - but the nights relatively mild, except in cases of clear skies in the outer suburbs, it could go down to 2°C

Peculiar September indoor temperatures

Since 4-5 days i’ve come to feel really cold in our home, putting on an extra, thick pullover - but my hands still feel chilly while writing at the computer…

Then realized that the indoor temperatures at times dropped down to 18.8°C (!) early morning when I came home from work - despite closed doors and windows. I find this very odd, because in mid September we usually have still 22°C or more (!) indoors, never falling below 20°C at any time of the year with closed windows.

The heating in our elements is usually turned on (slightly) in October.

However, I suspect that the landlord company may secretly turned off / delayed heat to other hidden elements in the house complex, which made the entire house turn several degrees °C colder than normal. I certainly have never felt cold indoors in mid September (and i am usually a “glower”, always having warm hands and feet).

Another little detail that struck me as odd, was that when the outdoor temperature late afternoon today showed 17.1°C - the indoor temperature was only 19.1°C - e.g. barely any difference between outside and inside. I have never experienced such a small difference (outside of summer), with closed doors and windows.

It appears to me that the Swedish companies/organizations/authorities do everything quietly behind closed doors, pulling down energy and heating, thinking people will not notice…. without info, in order not to be “in the face”, oh dear why be honest.

Typically Swedish. With innocent smiles upfront. “Who me ? We didn’t do anything. We would never…”

I wrote this, not to call for sympathy/pity. It is not that at all (i just put on more clothes, basta). It just struck me how unusual the indoor temperatures behave this September 2022 in a way i have never experienced before. That something appears to be going on, in the hidden with the heating of residential buildings in Sweden.

I wonder of course… how they will handle things this October, November and December… 🤔🤣 ? Tralalaaaaa.

The weather is still warm here in Melbourne- Florida, between 25- 27 C, it is noticeable that the autumn season is already a little more present and it rains almost every day in the afternoon- evening.
This is a picture from a few days ago, these clouds in the form of waves. It appears that the current Atlantic hurricane Fiona will not hit Florida, only frequent thunderstorms may be experienced in the last week.
295695256_5506107206152932_233414836879629825_n.jpg
307121308_610483133880436_8991351896634539109_n.jpg

Cool temps and all the rain that we missed during the summer drought we are getting now in Hungary, ~90 miles west of the Ukrainian border. At the beginning of September, it got suddenly cold - as usual -, for the summer-heat-acclimated peeps. But by now, - at the end of September the cold eased up and we have a mild lukewarm feel of temperature outside, which is the same weather-turnaround as how it went last year. With mild rains of course! :D

insect swarms

Hungary, ~90 miles west of the Ukrainian border:

We are having the usual 'Old Crone's Summer' [literal translation of the folks-term in Hungary for "Vénasszonyok Nyara"] typical for this time of the early autumn: much sunshine, warmth, nature - flora and fauna - appears to have been fooled to think its spring / rebirth.

What I don't remember seeing is insect swarms composed of all-size fleshflies, in all colors, mixed with small yellow wasps [10-15mm]. Latter I already killed 6 or 7 just today. If you had wasps nesting inside of your shed / closet / storeroom, then you know, you have to kill nest / queen or suffer perpetual swarms flying in and out of your door...

The wasps are mixed in with the flies and entire small bunches of them buzzing inside the kitchen mosquito net-door [trying to get out], so a kitchen cloth can squash them. For the wasps I flick then with the middle finger then stomp them as they fall on the ground dizzy.

We have an [~6mm] worker ant-superhighway beside the concrete sidewalk outside and I only have to push the insect corpses outside into the flower-bed [beside the pavement] the ants will clean them up [carry them away] nicely!

Back
Top Bottom