Which romantic songs do you like?

I'm afraid I'm one of those who thinks unless a song breaks my heart, its not truly romantic! The space between, sprung by potential, fraught with loss. Anyway on that note...

Here's a couple that just came to mind when looking through this thread. Don't know if you would call them 'romantic' but they are certainly brimming with love...

The combination of one of the finest voices ever to sing, a melody to die for (written in 1986 by Italian musician Lucio Dalla) and the sad story of the greatest of all romantic tenors Caruso whose troubled life ended at the hotel Excelsior Vittoria in Sorrento” where he passed his last nights. Caruso was ill with throat cancer, but that didn’t prevent him from giving singing lessons to a young women with whom he fell deeply in love. The song tells of the suffering and longings of a man who is about to die as he looks into the eyes of a girl who at the end became so dear to him.

Caruso

Here, where the sea glistens
and the wind blows hard,
on an old terrace
in front of the Sorrento gulf
a man embraces a girl
after having cried
then he clears his throat
and restarts the song.

I love you very much
but so, so much, you know.
It is a chain, by now
that dissolves the blood inside the veins, you know.

Saw the lights in the middle of the sea,
thought of the nights there, in America,
but they were only fishing lights
and the white wash of a propeller.
Felt the pain in the music,
stood himself up from the pianoforte
but when he saw the moon come out of a cloud
even death seemed to him sweeter.

Looked at the girl in the eyes,
those eyes green like the sea,
then, all of a sudden, a tear came out
and he thought he was drowning.

I love you very much
It is a chain, by now

Power of the opera
where every drama is a falsehood,
that, with a bit of makeup and with mimicry,
you can become someone else.
But, two eyes that are looking at you,
so close and true,
make you forget the lyrics,
confuse the thoughts.

So everything becomes small,
even the nights there, in America,
you turn and see your life
as the wash of a propeller.
But yes, it's life that is ending,
but he didn't so much think about it,
rather, he was already feeling happy
and restarted his song.

I love you very much
It is a chain, by now

and a second not dissimilar offering by an artist concerning the travails of an even greater artist needs no introduction: Vincent by Don McLean... Starry, Starry Night...

Siluetas de Cristal (Crystal Silhouettes) Los Brios (Argentina)

It seems that the love of his life wants to leave him, his eyes cloud with tears and he only sees Crystal Silhouettes.

Hold me, because maybe
If you leave I feel cold
Because I shelter next to you, my sweet love
that only like that
Very close to you, I will be happy
Hug me
So I'll sing you my melody
that composing with love
From day to day, oooh
This love song was born from me and for you
Love, love, I really love you
Love, love, crystal silhouette
I will take you one day where the sun rises
Hug me
So I'll sing you my melody
that composing with love
From day to day, oooh
This love song was born from me and for you

One of my favourite singer-songwriters is Vance Joy, whose main bread-and-butter are romantic songs, often in the throes of just getting to know a person and every moment you share with them is about discovering something new about them. The major keys, melodies and lyrics are very honeyed and they remind me a lot of times when I was in relationship with someone and supremely happy. Some of the songs and lyrics also make me think about characters I've read from the romantic reading project as well.

Some songs are about falling out of love and moving on, or recapitulating the ways we don't appreciate someone until they're no longer there.

Some of the songs aren't romantically related. For example this is a song about learning to be happy with where you are in life, instead of always being inattentive to the goodness and and beauty of the moment in pursuit of some future state of happiness.

Don't know if this one qualifies as a romantic song but it's "nice". There are many versions but two stand out:
and

There's also "moonlight shadow" by Mike Oldfield, "wonderful tonight" by Eric Clapton, "devoted to you" by the Everly Brothers, "romeo and juliet" by Dire Straits (even if it's a breakup song), etc.

Last edited:
This was one of my favourite songs in the 90s when it was released as the Cranberries debut. I was a teenager then and I rediscovered it during covid lockdowns. To me the lyrics speak about the ultimate love which exists only in our dreams for most of us.

These bring back memories of past love and as cheesy as they are i have a soft spot for them ☺️😂

cheap trick .. the flame

richard Marx - right here waiting

and showing my roots haha some guns and roses

acoustic version of nothing compares to you by Chris.Cornell

These bring back memories of past love and as cheesy as they are i have a soft spot for them ☺️😂

cheap trick .. the flame

richard Marx - right here waiting

and showing my roots haha some guns and roses

acoustic version of nothing compares to you by Chris.Cornell
Totally cheesy but can't help liking them as well. Good to see you added GnR in there, otherwise I'd be worried for you, 986Baz :lol:

Back
Top Bottom