Why? The Purpose of the Universe by Philip Goff

I posted this below in thread Meaning of Life but maybe this thread is going to merge? Meaning of Life thread title may suggest more broad topic and this one is dedicated to Goff's book.

Below citation is from the article from Arc's blog and article link: Why? The Purpose of the Universe
  • You can’t move in reasoning from facts that aren’t about value, to facts that are about value or what you ought to do. There is a gap between "is" and "ought".
  • Reason ought to be the slave of the passions. If you desire to pursue some goal, you ought to pursue it.
Do you see it? What Goff saw was that making the inference in point 2 violates the Is-Ought gap principle. Hume inferred that that job of reason is to help us best achieve the goals our feelings have set for us.
Do you see it? No - I do not.
Could You help me understand this?

In above example of contradiction in Hume's principle is-ought that one cannot bridge the gap between facts and moral values. How in above example Reason is bridging this gap? I do not get that.

Some other questions if I may get Your assistance:
Facts that are not about value? So for Hume all facts about external world were not about value?
For example Hume would not say bad or good about genocide in Gaza?
But he would say that for Palestinians their genocide is bad because they have feelings that are making them value this fact such a way?
If he had no feelings himself about this fact he would not assign any value for it?
You can’t move in reasoning from facts that aren’t about value, to facts that are about value?
You can't move? In reasoning? Move in reasoning? ... means what? what kind of reasoning would there be to illustrate/show example of it?
I cannot move from: it is now raining and I am getting wet, TO: I ought to open my umbrella to protect me from getting completely wet?
Or what?
Or maybe rain-umbrella thing is OK because there is not yet value assigned?
Otherwise no "Oughts" would be possible?

Help :D

How Hume was thinking? And why Goff found this particular set contradictory?

Is this because: I desire this goal - is a statement IS. I ought to pursue this goal - is an OUGHT statement. What connects them is BECAUSE: because I desire, I ought to... ??? They connect and therefore they contradict Hume's idea about unbridgeable gap?

I repeated it from another thread with hope that maybe You help me to understand it.

Aha. And one more
Reason ought to be the slave of the passion.
So this was Goff's own example or this was Hume's statement?

I spend way more time that I intended re-reading it. My take is he's not able to stay along one line of logic. I'm not even sure if I'd call it logic as its was not an A = B = C kind of flow. It felt like a rubbing together of different adjacent ideas to create an attempted proof to disprove an argument that was not part of the original question.

I had to do a bit of a break down as its the only way I could really parse it with what I mean:

Within the first paragraph, I'm getting the tingling of an atheist that is using this issue to slander anyone with a religious based moral standards. I'm not requoting to save on space.

There is no serious political theory according to which my pre-tax income is ‘mine’ in any morally significant sense.
I'm pretty sure political theory has nothing to do with money/curreny/income? At least I thought political theory was about governing systems, ie monarchs, republics, theocracies, etc, and how they operate as a whole, not so much about a subset tool within it, ie money, that is used in to push the influence of said governing system. I'm not even sure how morals come into play for a political theory outside of a person chosing a political theory based on their pre-standing moral convictions. Wouldnt that just kind of religion if a political theory had a heavy emphasis on morals?

The more interesting question is whether taxation is moral theft, and this depends on whether citizens have some kind of moral claim on their gross income. It is to this question I now turn.
Hmm, focus on the moral argument, eh? Didn't want to look to hard on the legal aspect of it, i guess.

Your gross, or pre-tax income, is the money the market delivers to you
I guess Economics is now part of political theory too.

Your gross, or pre-tax income, is the money the market delivers to you. In what sense might it be thought that you have a moral claim on this money? One answer might be that you deserve it: you have worked hard and have done a good job, and consequently you deserve all your gross income as recompense for your labour. According to this line of reasoning, when the government taxes, it takes the money that you deserve for the work you do.

This is not a plausible view. For it implies that the market distributes to people exactly what they deserve for the work that they do. But nobody thinks a hedge-fund manager deserves many times more wealth than a scientist working on a cure for cancer, and few would think that current pay ratios in companies reflect what philosophers call desert claims. Probably you work very hard in your job, and you make an important contribution. But then so do most people, and the market distribution of wealth patently does not reward in proportion to how hard-working people are, or how much of a contribution they make to society. If we were just focusing on desert, then there is a good case for taxation to correct the amoral distribution of the market.
He's injecting additional "moral" arguments on top of the "moral" argument already proposed. Repeating his literal lines: "nobody thinks a hedge-fund manager deserves many times more wealth than a scientist working on a cure for cancer" but I'm sure everybody but the deviant minded believes both deserve to get paid/compensated for the job they performed, even if the overall amount is unbalaneced or "unfair". Right now its in the form of income.

What you deserve is what you ought to have as a result of hard work or social contribution; what you are entitled to is the result of your property rights. Libertarians believe that each individual has natural property rights, which it would be immoral for the government to infringe.
At this point, income and property are about to be the same "thing" even through there was no worked out logic. He's about to assume the "Right Wing" Libertarian definitions even though he seems biased against them.

But do we really have natural rights to property? And even if we do, does taxation really infringe them? To begin to address these questions, we need to think more carefully about the nature of property.
So now we're at, is "taxation theft?" in the "moral" sense (legal was too straightforward I guess, and gov't can't do anything illegal, right??) and that depends if its taken as the "Libertarian" standpoint (What about Democrats or Republicans or Independent? Since we're now scoped to political ideologies umbrellas. Are there "Libertarians" outside of the USA? I only know of US politics and poorly at that). The standpoint of income as a type of property rights. So now we got to define propery rights and whether its moral to own it.

A person has a moral claim on all her gross income only if property rights are natural, not human constructions
Something about this rubbed me the wrong way, in the statement's placement I mean. There's a flow break here. He's agreeing with the point that he's trying to disprove?

For the social constructivist, the right to property is not some natural, sacred thing that exists independently of human conventions and legal practices. Rather, we create property rights, by setting up legal institutions to ensure that people have certain legal rights over the material world. For the libertarian, in contrast, facts about property exist independently of human laws and conventions, and indeed human laws and conventions ought to be moulded to respect the natural right to property.

This distinction is crucial for our question.
I thought in the beginning it was about the moral definition of Taxation as theft. So I guess we're back to the legal definition. I guess I dont see why we'd ever need to look at anything else

Suppose we accept the social-constructivist view that property rights are merely legal. Now we ask the question: ‘Do I have a moral claim on the entirety of my pre-tax income?’ We cannot argue that I am entitled to my pre-tax income on the basis of my natural property rights, as there are no such things as ‘natural’ property rights (according to the social-constructivist position we are now considering). So, if I have a moral claim on my entire pre-tax income, this must be because it is exactly the amount of money I deserve for my hard work and social contribution, presumably because in general the market delivers to each person exactly what they deserve. But we have already concluded that this is not a plausible claim
To me this feels along the lines of: I strip away all choices until the one I like is left, so logically, that is the correct answer.

Now we ask the question: ‘Do I have a moral claim on the entirety of my pre-tax income?’ We cannot argue that I am entitled to my pre-tax income on the basis of my natural property rights, as there are no such things as ‘natural’ property rights (according to the social-constructivist position we are now considering). So, if I have a moral claim on my entire pre-tax income, this must be because it is exactly the amount of money I deserve for my hard work and social contribution, presumably because in general the market delivers to each person exactly what they deserve.
I remember talking to someone long ago that told me about a technique to make yourself look smarter(competent?) during Q&A sesssions. If someone ask a question that you do not know the answer, respond back with a similar sounding question then follow up with the answer to that, then move on. This feels like the same kind of mental logic to avoid the actual question.

Here’s where we’re up to: to make sense of the idea that taxation is (moral) theft, we have to make sense of the idea that each person has a moral claim on the entirety of her gross income, and this can be made sense of only if property rights are natural rather than mere human constructions. We need, therefore, to defend a theory of natural property rights. Our next task is to explore philosophical theories of property rights.
But he already said he's working under the stance of "social constructivist", why does he need to go any farther? Here's another one of those weird through flow breaks.

On the Right-wing libertarian view, it is perfectly morally acceptable for one person to claim a vastly unequal proportion of land and resources for himself, resulting in his propertyless neighbours being forced to work for him to avoid starvation
Way to jump off the deep end for example. I'd like to see how that one person with "unequal proportion of land and resources for himself" managed to stop the starving neighbor from eating food of that very same land, much less even where to find them. In the same vein, what's stopping the starving neighbor from looking around, seeing noone, and claiming the land for themselves?

Moreover, as I will now try to show, even if Right-wing libertarianism is true, even if there are natural property rights, even if such rights allow private individuals to carve off for themselves a vastly unequal share of natural resources, even then we cannot make sense of the idea that actual people living today have a moral claim on their pre-tax income.

Professor Schmidt’s salary comes from the state: she has no right to complain that she keeps only some of this stolen money
What if Professor Schmidt’s salary comes a privately owned company? Its a useless example.

In almost every country, there is a certain amount of taxation, at least to pay for roads and infrastructure, if not for education and healthcare.
I don't see how "roads and infrastructure" equates to "acquired land or natural resources". I guess there's a bush that grows roads and tree that grows into infrastructure because that's the only way those things could have gotten there.

Now consider a Ms Jones, a libertarian British businesswoman who resents paying tax on dividends from her lucrative company. Although she is not directly paid by the state, the profits generated by Jones’s business are dependent on many things that are funded by the state: perhaps she receives state subsidies, but even if not, certainly the success of her company will depend on infrastructure, roads, rule of law, and an educated and healthy workforce. It doesn’t matter whether in principle these things could have been provided privately; in reality, they are provided by the state and funded through taxation.
He's willing to go "back to the basics" an attempted outline of property rights, yet doesnt show how property ("acquired land or natural resources") but doesnt do the same for any of the resources the hypothetical company is dependent on. I mean, our modern world obviously was here all along!

It’s hard to shake the feeling that the gross income figure on your payslip represents your money, and that the difference from your take-home pay represents how much the state has taken from you. In fact, there is no coherent way of justifying this conviction.
But that's exactly what it is. As far as I'm aware, no other entity reduces the take-home pay in that manner without your "consent" (ie 401K or equivalent kind of deferred adjustment).

Still, the vast majority happily vote for low taxes, rejoicing that they get to keep their morsel while in reality all they’ve done is protect the spoils of a tiny minority at the top. The result is our failure to create what we really need: a tax system that – as part of the wider economy – creates a just society.
What an abrupt stop. And also a hint of a different talking point? Who's the "tiny minority at the top" that is only now getting brought up?

If I exchange MY time and MY energy for money, then that money is mine. If I have a moral obligation to pitch in to the government to run the country, then it should be voluntary, or mandatory only if there's complete and adequate accountability. If we had an functioning representative government in the truest sense of the concept, then any taxes would be for things that most citizens desired. If taxes are to be likened to membership dues or home-owners association fees, then by nature, they would be voluntary (i.e. choosing to join a club requires dues; choosing to live in certain neighborhoods requires HOA fees). Of course, the same could be said about American citizenship fees (i.e. taxes) in that we can choose to not live in America. Maybe the best compromise would be one that gave some of Congressional power to tax (and formulate a national budget) to the citizens by allowing us to designate from a "menu" which expenses we choose our tax payments to fund. If a bill is passed which is unpopular, then it would get no funding and be nullified. Of course, these ideas are very simplistic, but just some preliminary thoughts as I'm reading through this thread.

As Liliea said so well, "all this seems to be a subterfuge to escape or mask the reality that when there is political psychopathy no system with justice will work".

Last edited:
So this was Goff's own example or this was Hume's statement?
Both of the points are Hume's presuppositions. Laura shows that Goff correctly points out that Hume's subjectivism is contradictory.

I'm pretty sure political theory has nothing to do with money/curreny/income? At least I thought political theory was about governing systems, ie monarchs, republics, theocracies, etc, and how they operate as a whole, not so much about a subset tool within it, ie money, that is used in to push the influence of said governing system.
Good point.

I'm not even sure how morals come into play for a political theory outside of a person chosing a political theory based on their pre-standing moral convictions. Wouldnt that just kind of religion if a political theory had a heavy emphasis on morals?
Not quite, but it would start to move in that direction. See the Foreword of From Paul to Mark.

Hmm, focus on the moral argument, eh? Didn't want to look to hard on the legal aspect of it, i guess.
The legal aspect is "easily dismissed" according to Goff. 😄 His whole article is essentially what Lobaczewski called a "paramoralism" - an attempt to justify an incorrect statement via an appeal to morality.

Something about this rubbed me the wrong way, in the statement's placement I mean. There's a flow break here. He's agreeing with the point that he's trying to disprove?
Yep. The guy is all over the place.

To me this feels along the lines of: I strip away all choices until the one I like is left, so logically, that is the correct answer.
Yeah. He basically argues backwards from the point he's already determined to reach, and sets up straw men along the way, while studiously ignoring the real crux of the question, which he just declares irrelevant by fiat.

He's willing to go "back to the basics" an attempted outline of property rights, yet doesnt show how property ("acquired land or natural resources") but doesnt do the same for any of the resources the hypothetical company is dependent on. I mean, our modern world obviously was here all along!
There was a very interesting article on SOTT yesterday by Dr Stephen J. Iacoboni, which has something relevant to this discussion which I'll quote:

Stephen J. Iacoboni said:
Beyond the Inanimate Realm

Now for the past fifty years or so, scientists have broadened their scope to the realm of life itself. There the inadequacy of materialist natural laws stands manifest in bold relief. There are in fact no "laws of nature" that apply to organisms, if one sets aside simplistic truisms such as "survival of the fittest." If there were such laws, then specified complexity would be reducible to those laws.

What explains this impasse between the laws of physical science and the complexity of organisms? The answer is just this: the irreducible specified complexity of organisms pertains to the interactions of real objects in the living world. In contrast, as mentioned above, all materialist natural law is in fact reducible to mental constructs. Simple physical manifestations such as heat, movement, and forces of attraction have been brilliantly expressed in mathematical equations. But these formalisms are mental abstractions, and not reality itself. As elegant and useful as they are, they reach the limit of their applicability just as soon as one invokes the very simple "three-body problem."

The Flavor of Universality

What makes materialist natural law appear universal is that it is constructed to be context-independent. That's where the flavor or quality of universality comes from. But it is that very independence of context that severely limits materialist natural law's explanatory power. In the realm of the living, everything that occurs is intricately connected and context-dependent.

That is why the several laws of nature so construed by science lose applicability within complex systems, such as organisms, markets, and societies. That is to say, the applicability of materialist natural law ends precisely where specified complexity begins. When we appropriately recognize laws of nature merely as thoughtful constructs useful for modeling simple physical systems, one loses the temptation to reify their status as immanent governing principles. Thus the so-called universality of materialist natural law could only exist at the expense of an impoverishment of explanatory power. In other words, what is "universal" about materialist natural law is a context-independent universe where life does not exist.

Accordingly, materialist natural law applies only to an imaginary world of formalisms. Materialist natural law is, by its very definition, indeed reducible to abstract mental constructs, utterly lacking in immanent character.

This is in contrast to the transcendent, divinely originated natural law that inspired science through Newton, Galileo, Copernicus, et al. Realizing this, we now have the opportunity to rediscover divine natural law even while we deconstruct materialist natural law. As I have stated before in these posts, let us recapture the wisdom of the past, thereby giving us the power to engage the future.
Goff has followed the materialist position described above wrt to his argument about taxation. His idea that it is immoral to consider you have a property right to the income you receive is context-independent and applies only to an imaginary world of formalisms. What's more, he completely projects these unconscious presuppositions onto the idea of natural property rights, claiming that they only exist in the imaginary formalism of a 'perfect libertarian utopia'!

What an abrupt stop. And also a hint of a different talking point? Who's the "tiny minority at the top" that is only now getting brought up?
Hints of Left-Wing Authoritarianism, a revolutionary mindset, and him fancying himself as one of the 'new elite', doesn't it? To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't find an openly schizoidal declaration in Goff's article; I get the sense he is absolutely itching to bust one out.

He is (I think admirably) trying to illustrate that the government cannot steal from the individual (assuming we don't live in a nightmare). In doing so, he cannot escape the implicit conclusion that it must be the individual who is stealing from the government, which would be an indefensible premise. However, if governance is replaced with society, it could make the argument hazier for either position. But it will break down on the external side, since there is no meaning in labor without the individual being rewarded with property, and naturally he should decide what to do with it.

Economics just goes round and round

Except that governments do steal from individuals; it's been happening for millennia. So any 'illustration' of the impossibility of such can only be a work of fiction.
That is so, and I believe he didn't say explicitly that governments aren't stealing while they tax people. From his perspective, we use services provided by the government, and the market is regulated by the government, and so what we make must in part belong to the government, so they may continue to make everything function for everyone's benefit. Government is the medium for not only the general welfare, but to keep the economy working, because it is practically what kept it working up to now. If anyone doesn't put in his fair share, the implication from what he set out is that they are stealing from everyone else.

I think government will always exist, even if it is more decentralized and personalized, easier to participate in and to believe in. To exist it needs some taxation. But it must be voluntarily supported. And its people must be informed, the government must be transparent, and in this hypothetical world everyone feels comfortable with some low taxation. I don't believe that's our world at all.

It ignores that there are ways to fulfill one's obligations to everyone else, whatever they may be, independent of government. It pays no mind to the possibility that someone could have no real obligations to anyone else (I'm not sure of this myself). It may also be too much cultural determinism.

How are taxes different than a protection racket? You know, when the mafia comes to your business and says they will trash the place unless you pay them a cut of your earnings. So they're really protecting you from what they will do to you if you don't pay them.

His thing about what anyone "deserves" is misdirection. As others have said, in a free market economy, the value of your goods and services is determined by the customer and seller agreeing, just as the value of your labor is determined by the employer and employee agreeing, which is just customer and buyer. The seller and the buyer agree on the price using their free will. No one has to buy anything they don't want, and no one has to sell anything they don't want.

Taxes and protection rackets are special - you are being forced against your will. And neither the mob or the government asks your opinion about how they spend it. And in both cases, it's nothing good. It's funneled to their friends (like weapon manufacturers) who sell their bullets to them at insane prices (never mind that innocent people will then be shot by them). And why would government be incentivized to be responsible with your money - it's literally free money they took at gunpoint from every citizen. It's not like they have to earn it or work hard for it or offer any kind of value in return - they just take it. So why wouldn't they waste it and funnel it to their friends for overpriced goods/services?

The businesses that sell goods/services to the government don't have to compete for your dollar. They just have to convince the government, which doesn't value the money really, so it's a lot easier. And this actually really hurts the free market economy. We have section 8 housing where the government pays landlords rent on behalf of those who quality for section 8, which raises the rent for everyone else who could barely afford it as it is, and now they're priced out of being able to get an affordable apartment. Every time the government guarantees money to help those in need, it skyrockets the prices for everyone else, and potentially hurts more people than it actually helps.

So yeah taxes cause all sorts of problems and increase corruption and waste. People who earned their money are much more careful about how they spend it.

And why would government be incentivized to be responsible with your money - it's literally free money they took at gunpoint from every citizen. It's not like they have to earn it or work hard for it or offer any kind of value in return - they just take it.
It's actually worse than that, because they also control the money supply (by proxy, in some cases) and they use inflation to 'borrow' and spend even more, while simultaneously devaluing the money held by the citizens. Governments are basically pond scum.

Random thoughts, maybe OT if of the case I apologize and you can delete without any problem. Taking a step back (attempt to lighten the tonal) , this all seems to me a 3d sts chronicle. If one looks at social constructivism in a disengaged way (net of 3d sts ideologies), and taking into account the CS, one may wonder where the merit lies in the "navel contemplation" typical of natural 3d sto candidates.

In what political-economic system would taxes not only be justified but gladly paid? That in my mind would be a society where the state aparatus has only an administrative role, and where the ownership of all economic and infrastucture assets is in common amongst the citizens of that state. That is making the case for education and heath care offered as a gratuity by the state. That is also making the case for extra work by the citizens of the state when needed, including military conscription (obligatory). In that society, where everyone is occupied in a way or another ( enshrined in the constitution), the work is paid for norms of work per day instead of time value of work, and workers that produce more in the same time are rewarded with more money (slight loophole). As employed time grows the workers are promoted to superios stages that certify their profficiency. These stages are recorded in their Work Book. Everyone gets leave for holiday and illness, everyone gets a pension, everyone gets a living space for which rent and maintenance is paid individually. Everyone uses the common transport. Everything is surveyed in some kind of metric and called resource and planned using long term time projection units, usually, 5 years. As such, to reach optimal ‘natural’ stratification, the abortion is illegal, the education is obligatory for 12 years when secondary school is completed an one gets allocated a workplace in a factory. Tertiary education can flollow if one is taking exams and passing them, and everyone gets a chance to advance on the intellectual ladder through night school.
Private property is limited to automobiles, motorbikes, home appliances and personal effects, and sometimes ancestral homes in the country.
That system is called communism, where the political is conjoined with the economic system and ruled by norms or rules and values learned and reinforced from nursery school. The key to understanding the meaning of the moral or the ethical component of the life lies in both bolded sentences above. To work is a right and shared value, ‘means of production’ (including infrastructure for transportation, health, education, tourism, culture etc) are a common property, and the state is administrator of resources, promoter and enforcer of societal values for multilateral development.
Ideologies come and go. The communist economic zone experiment lasted some 50 years or so, leaving broken hearts and longing for high ideals for ‘the masses’. The time for high ideals has ended, and It will take more than cleverly twisted old comcepts to give birth to any novel high ideals society when the current society is busy shorting evil at evey step.

I think the big problem here is the guy who wrote this article is a very staunch utilitarian, to the point he cannot even contemplate someone who believes in deontological thought, at least in the field of economics. I felt like tearing apart nearly every paragraph in false assumptions which he did not even take 2 seconds to question himself. I am a huge fan of Locke, and I have massive libertarian tendencies. That being said, I also think that anarcho-capitalists are highly naive in many respects at the same time.

Deontology is basically the philosophy best illustrated by Kant that basically says you treat PEOPLE AS THE ENDS and NOT A MEANS TO AN END. It is in this spirit, although it is more often couched in religious statements on "God Given rights" that naturally predominated at the time, that Locke's and other natural rights philosophies are in the same spirit as. Utilitarians like John Stuart Mill basically argue the MEANS JUSTIFIES THE ENDS for the most part - society and governments are justified in doing whatever is necessary to optimize the collective utility functions of society as a whole. And clearly that is where the author is coming from economically. Then there is sort of the hybrid called "rule consequentialism," that I hold to, that basically says that you treat people as the ends not arbitrarily but because it actually leads to better ends the utilitarians want in the first place. More on that later.

But from a deontological point of view, as pure anarchists will point out, all government is immoral. And that is for the most part provable. So when he says "But this is the case only if the market is perfectly free, ie if the state has no influence on the distribution of wealth," yes that is exactly what a lot of these people believe. The problem is that the world does not exist in a vacuum. If there was no government, in the anarchy people like Jeff Berwick long for, most likely some group of thugs would appoint themselves through some "social contract" that they only signed as leaders and oppress people. Maybe someday we can get to a point we have private institutions form a moral anarchistic society as many write about; I am HIGHLY SKEPTICAL about that as there are numerous issues that arise. I think people with common sense will agree with me on that one.

But when you start from the perspective that all government is inherently immoral, violating fundamental tenets of the nonviolence principle, the question that the libertarian philosophers are making it how to you make it the "least immoral" possible. The least violence via takings like theft. And that is where it actually resonated with most people. That gets back to my primary point - this is really more about a deontological worldview where individuals have rights not to be treated as means to an end giving rise to rights like freedom of speech in addition to the least amount of taxation necessary to maintain a state versus a utilitarian worldview where bureaucrats can do whatever they want as long as THEY DETERMINE the best outcome for society. And generally it will be psychopaths determining that...

When he claims stuff like "Your gross, or pre-tax income, is the money the market delivers to you" again he a makes completely unfounded assumption. Technically under income tax laws, ANYTHING you produce can be taxed by the government. A person who grows simple crops for his family are not involved in the market AT ALL. The market is not delivering ANYTHING to these people. It is then the government that artificially puts a price on those goods and taxes it (if they could spy enough to enforce it - thus they want drones everywhere :)). BTW see Wickard v. Filburn in the US where the government went after a guy for growing too much wheat under New Deal artificial restrictions even though he was only growing the wheat to feed his own animals. The government literally argued it was "interstate commerce" even though he was feeding animals on the farm and no money changed hands and the corrupt Supreme Court rubber stamped it...so the government when given the opportunity will interfere with personal property not even related to commerce and calling it commerce!

There is a reason utilitarian thinking is bad and deontology and the respect for "natural rights" (whether you believe they are God given or not) matters is that there is a fundamental uncertainty in life. You never know the second, third, fourth, fifth order consequences of an action (except maybe if you are living in 4D :)). But you KNOW the first order consequences - stealing from someone, killing them, etc. with 100% certainty. For that reason deontological actions over time will produce the best societal results. And this is how you do not have to be a social-constructivist so "property rights are made to serve human interests and not vice versa" The principle of not stealing itself serves a definite human interest the author does not seem to recognize. You might steal money from person A and give to person B thinking you are benefiting them. Maybe it does short term, but over the long term the person becomes dependent and purposeless in life as happens with many welfare programs. You don't know...but in all cases you have taken from the first person and possibly incentivized them to be less productive as well.

"this confused assumption is a major stumbling block to economic reform, causes low and middle earners to vote against their economic interests, and renders it practically impossible to correct the economic injustices that pervade the modern world." Again this is a false assumption. In many cases keeping more of one's income IS in their best interests. I can keep it or send it to the Ukraine and kill more people for "the greater good"? Even if you have the best of intentions you will not know the outcome, and I can present tons of economic examples. But I would argue it is easy to correct economic injustices within a deontological framework because MOST of the injustices are due to utilitarian policies that could be eliminated!

For example, patents on pharmaceuticals are GOVERNMENT LAWS for the "common good." Not really...more like corporate enrichment so patients can be charge $15k a month for $0.10 pills. A deontologically free market WITHOUT this artificial construct of intellectual property would mean competitive pricing would make medical care more affordable. And it also means that natural supplements would be MORE LIKELY than artificial chemicals to be the subject of rigorous clinical research! And it is not like we ever needed patents for inventions like the wheel or the Welch longbow to be adopted in the past. Patents interfere with the deontological order and hurt the common good, not helping it.

How about corporations? Corporations are the greatest instrument of wealth inequality ever created, and they were created by governments using utilitarian arguments. Now they are also some pretty compelling arguments, but if you are going to have GOVERNMENT CREATED ENTITIES that limit liability so Pfizer could injure the world with vaccines and pay at most a fraction of the damages (even without the laws on vaccine immunity, only the total capital of the company would be at risk, not enough to compensate the world for the damages), then by God you BETTER HAVE LAWS TO STRIP THEM OF THE MORAL HAZARDS. That means you are MORALLY JUSTIFIED in stricter regulation and GREATER TAXATION on them since they are not real people. Most libertarian minded people (but not all) get this wrong. They think corporations and patents are all about "free market capitalism" and benefit society.

I think one of the best policies we could adopt would be to replace the individual income tax with a CORPORATE ENTERPRISE VALUE TAX on publicly traded corporations. The income tax is EASY TO LEGALLY AVOID. I can point to people earning 8 figure incomes in CASH INCOME publicly bragging they do not pay income tax at all (reporting NEGATIVE accounting losses), and even get refunds. And enterprise value tax is simple and cannot be evaded - simply take the volume weighted price for the period of the stock and debt of the company and add it together to get the enterprise value. Then tax that. It could even be a graduated tax to incentivize smaller corporations, not these unaccountable vertically integrated behemoths so we get real competition. But since the tax is aligned with what most managers try to optimize for, it could not be evaded and the more a company benefits from its structure, the more it pays. It is a completely moral tax as well because the government can tax morally what it created. People have the option of not incorporating if they do not like it. But taking a company public results in many times greater wealth through liquidity premiums. They are given the freedom to chose, which is what natural rights are all about.

I could go on, but I think people get the idea. Generally speaking it is better to tax / steal less (because you otherwise get more problems) and if you are going to tax, tax based on the benefit that is directly received from the government arrangement. In that case taxation is not theft, it is a fee for a service voluntarily given up when you sign up for that service. If you don't want to pay property tax, don't register your property, but don't expect the government to come out and protect it when some squatters try to settle down in it :).

I just wanted to point out one more thing as an example I just thought of. The guy makes a point of saying someone who cures cancer deserves more than, for example, a hedge fund manager. But again, think of how you as a utilitarian matter of public policy make that happen. PATENTS were done precisely for that reason!

So companies like Genentech with cancer treatments (and that is what you get instead of CURES when the patent is the vehicle) that made billions of dollars, well more than most head fund managers (while making a bunch of hedge fund managers rich along the way- the guy seems to forget that hedge fund managers often fund this research through their investors). But at the same time, for them to make so much money they use the patents to charge extreme amounts of money as I laid out earlier, which BOOMERANG to the people with cancer who cannot afford the treatment, or the taxpayers who pay out tons of money. And he might argue that is fine because you would not have had the cure without it. He might argue taxpayers are lucky to pay out $15k a month for treatments that would not have otherwise existed. Others like Bill Gates might argue society is better off letting these people die (another utilitarian argument in the guise of population control).

Again, I beg to differ on whether the treatment might exist or not. Because as mentioned above, you are going to incentive the wrong types of treatments. Symptoms instead of cures. Proprietary medicines with more side effects versus natural treatments with little side effects. There could be certainly better ways of incentivizing treatments than patents. But it is a natural though upfront. It probably seemed like a good idea at the time. But we have had 100 years experience that shows us the negative consequences of the abuse of the government interference in the market to let us know otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom