Wind Turbines

Voyageur

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Interested mostly about wind turbines on a small scale and listened a few years ago while driving to a radio interview with this fellow who invented some kind of new wind turbine and it sounded very unique. Kind of forgot about it until driving in the prairies while looking at the behemoth wind farms recently.

Could not find any photos while searching online so made some inquires and this is what was sent me – pretty neat.

Background:

ART Turbine Inc.

Inventor is Drew Rokeby-Thomas (patented).

This design seems to revolutionize the current way of harnessing wind and tidal water energy.

From information it seems that the turbine will be about the same initial cost as a conventional turbine, but less to install, yet produces about double the power because it is built to capture low wind or water speeds. It says that “Tests have shown the turbine will operate efficiently in the 10 to 40-kilometre range in air and in the 0.5 to six-km range in water.”

Rokeby-Thomas says that, “…the turbine has promising potential for places like shorelines, hilltops, prairies and other open spaces. The big advantage that we have, is most wind and tidal systems have to be aimed. Ours is indifferent to wind and tide direction. It just sits there and works.”

Also

There is a link/video to a vertical axis windmill here that is worth viewing if interested;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIkzAnbihI&feature=player_embedded

Bird mortality from windmills is an issues and there was a design that also look at this but cannot find it. Of course the industry says things like cats :ninja: kill hundreds of millions of birds a year while wind turbines only kill (no injury data stated) 10,000 - 40,000; seems like a power industry statement, but maybe there is some truth to it, however, they don't tell you that of those killed, they are likely large raptures, owls and such.

Hi roland,

Welcome to the forum. :) We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, and how they found their way here. Have a read through that section to get an idea of how others have done it. Thanks.

I've heard about making a vertical axis turbine from a plastic 55 ga drum. Haven't looked into how well it performs but have heard it's easy to make.

reading the Where will the 'safe belt' be? thread, I was reminded of research I did some while back on cheap wind turbines, thougth I should post it. Though I have not tried it, but I will order it and test when I can afford it.

For a cheap and good quality turbine, the UK based Hornet (1KW) seems the best
capable of producing 1400 Watts in winds over 70 MPH, enough to provide for basic needs, he also sells a 'dump load' water heater, so if push comes to shove, living without fossil fuels would be possible.
_http://www.windgenerator.org.uk/
_http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hornet-Windturbine

If money is really tigth there are quite a few DIY instructions online, though these would require quite some skills to make storm proof. Another note FWIW, I spoke to one guy who was selling his turbine as he hadn't calculated that his farm was in a depression (not alot of wind) so for him it was not viable to have, unless of course the grid broke down.

parallel said:
reading the Where will the 'safe belt' be? thread, I was reminded of research I did some while back on cheap wind turbines, thougth I should post it. Though I have not tried it, but I will order it and test when I can afford it.

For a cheap and good quality turbine, the UK based Hornet (1KW) seems the best
capable of producing 1400 Watts in winds over 70 MPH, enough to provide for basic needs, he also sells a 'dump load' water heater, so if push comes to shove, living without fossil fuels would be possible.
_http://www.windgenerator.org.uk/
_http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hornet-Windturbine

If money is really tigth there are quite a few DIY instructions online, though these would require quite some skills to make storm proof. Another note FWIW, I spoke to one guy who was selling his turbine as he hadn't calculated that his farm was in a depression (not alot of wind) so for him it was not viable to have, unless of course the grid broke down.

I don't know where you live, parallel, but where I live, we don't have 70mph winds all that often - yet. Is that a typo? If not, that is fairly useless except in extreme winds. :)

I don't know where you live, parallel, but where I live, we don't have 70mph winds all that often - yet. Is that a typo? If not, that is fairly useless except in extreme winds. :)

Hi Nienna
You would of course need some exposure to a windy area, to make a turbine viable. A hilly or mountainous place or seafront, maybe even just acces to a high building. 70 mph is not that common as you say, unless you live on the coast or in 'turbulent' times (not that I have eviednece that wind speeds will pick up). The 70 mph figure was just showing that it can output more than the package says if winds allow. At windspeeds of 30 mph the output is 700 W (62 volts / 11.29 Amps). Considering the usual household mini wind turbines (for boats or summerhouses) have a 400 W tag at 50 mph, and can cost as much as three times that of the hornet, it looks like a good pick, but again I have not tried it only read tests.

parallel said:

Hi Nienna
You would of course need some exposure to a windy area, to make a turbine viable. A hilly or mountainous place or seafront, maybe even just acces to a high building. 70 mph is not that common as you say, unless you live on the coast or in 'turbulent' times (not that I have eviednece that wind speeds will pick up). The 70 mph figure was just showing that it can output more than the package says if winds allow. At windspeeds of 30 mph the output is 700 W (62 volts / 11.29 Amps). Considering the usual household mini wind turbines (for boats or summerhouses) have a 400 W tag at 50 mph, and can cost as much as three times that of the hornet, it looks like a good pick, but again I have not tried it only read tests.

Thanks for clarification, parallel. :)

parallel said:

Hi Nienna

I'm sorry but that particular wind turbine put simply, is just not viable I could peddle on a bycycle and prduce 300 watts at 12DC which could charge a yacht battery. a yacht battery could run almost anything from a toaster to a vaccuum with a power inverter. Solar power much more efficient, or even learn to live without electricity. 70mph winds could take the tops of sheds and houses, snap trees like twigs and ensure that you wont be taking the dog for a walk down at the park.

Doing a quick search I found this http://www.econvergence.net/electro.htm maybe an option for you a few freinds to take in turn.

At this school (__http://www.kfhs.fi/web/orientationcourse/practical.html) they've been building these(__http://www.multi.fi/~kris/sol.html) for years(over ten I would say) with no big business showing any interest at all...

And here's a recent development from the same area (__http://www.vasabladet.fi/Story/?storyID=58371&vote=1&commentID=170089) probably "filched" from Kfhs.

Hi chaps23

For wind or solar power to be viable a battery bank is necessary (a compound of yacht/auto/12 dc's). The cycle generator would be nice for emergencies in a household which has adapted to little electrical usage, either that or they should be fitness maniacs. Though the pricetag for the whole bicycle generator pack is 400$- almost as much as the turbine, which doesn't deplete your hard earned proteins.

An example of daily electricity use of an imaginary cass readers single body household.

Wh
200 watch a movie
165 half an hour in the FIR sauna
100 a days worth in lights, miscellaneous pumps and handheld device recharching
270 3 hours of computerwork (internet)
100 vacuum clean + kitchen appliances
1000 Fridge/freezer

divided by 200 W per hour of cycling equals roughly 9 hours of steady peddling per day. All posts are of course expendable when the grid goes down, just to show that a small turbine seems to be able to power daily use in a small household if one lived in a windy place (planes, mountians, coastal area). With a 1kW windturbine at windspeed 5-10 mph (an average in those areas, it seems by wind maps) producing perhaps between 100-500 W per hour (with no effort of yours) around the clock, saving it to the battery bank, sufficient for above use. My math may be off though.

Where I live sun power is not a viable option because of little sun hours. Actually wind power isn't either atm, as I live in a low and populated area with no roof access.

Edit: cleaned up math and intention

I am sorry parallel but I think you missed my sarcasm, I was making the point that that particular wind turbine is not viable, and then compared it to a bicycle powered turbine as saying one was as useless as the other, I now regret making such a comment my apologies.

But I should probably mention if you are determined to get a renewable/unlimited source of energy you simply cannot go past the brown gas or (HHO) generator, I have actually seen in person somebody using this technology in a 5000w petrol generator that had only had a few tweaks to its ignition timing and had replaced the valves and I plan on buying one next commission check. Type it in YouTube you will find many examples and it runs soley on water and it can even distill its own water for fuel.

the best thing is you could actually run this thing in your house because the gas emmisions for this technology is simple harmless steam so its very economically friendly. The technology has been around since the late days of Nicola Tesla who we all know was a genius far ahead of his time.

Back
Top Bottom