Coming Earthquakes

Adam said:
ouch..>.< and considering I live in the netherlands close to the beach!
nice... i fell in love with the empty dutch beaches on my extended vacation in '05.
just walking the beach, thinking.
oh, how i look forward to that again!

doomsday predictions or not, i am reminded of what the C's said:

The choice comes by nature and free will and looking and listening. Where you are is not important. Who you are is and also what you see.

(soulsearching in '05)

Well, ya'll don't get all worked up yet. Somebody needs to gather earthquake data and create some kind of graph or something. Or find one that's already done and gets regularly updated. Earthquakes in the Solomons aren't all that unusual.

Laura said:
Well, ya'll don't get all worked up yet
yes, 6 months ago when halfpasthuman announced there was going to be a similar occurance, i wasted a great deal of energy fretting unnecessarily. Earthquakes are difficult to predict. Having said that, there was a prediction today for an earthquake in the Himalayan foothills (you're not safe in the mountains either!):
Daijiworld said:
Ultapani, Assam, Apr 26: There is a possibility of a massive earthquake striking the Indo-Bhutan border in Assam in the near future, a scientist of the Geological Survey of India has said.

K Mazumdar, a senior scientist of GSI currently heading a study team on earthquake alerts, on Wednesday told PTI here that a "quake with a magnitude of more than seven on the Richter scale could hit the area on the foothills of Bhutan in Assam's Kokrajhar district and it might extend north up to Kamrup district".

Heavy plate movement in the Himalayan foothills, the reverse flow of hill water streams in Ultapani and creation of tectonic ponds at Toporjhana, Majbhandar and Magarbeel were significant indications of an earthquake, he pointed out.

Noting that it was difficult to predict the time of such a quake, Mazumdar revealed that his team of GSI scientists had been conducting studies in the area since 2005, when there were the first indications of such a temblor.

He said the GSI had alerted authorities in Kokrajhar district to stop the felling of trees and to ban constructions across the area as a precautionary measure.
Namaste - Did the C's definately reference april 2007? or any april?
what is the blank the guest definitely needs to do before a certain date?

Laura said:
Well, ya'll don't get all worked up yet. Somebody needs to gather earthquake data and create some kind of graph or something. Or find one that's already done and gets regularly updated. Earthquakes in the Solomons aren't all that unusual.
Already working on it! Taking the data from the other thread that is by year and making it by month (cuz we don't have time to wait a whole year before we notice something is going on etc). Then graphing it by month and year. Also doing it globally and also by regions. Will update that thread as soon as I have compiled the data/graphs etc within the next few weeks. My "sticking point" is accounting for the increase of "detection" instruments etc. If someone could maybe help find some sources that have more or less detailed data on when, where, and how many and what kind of earthquake detection instruments were installed/created etc, that would help determine when the earthquakes go up in frequency or when it is the added reading instruments that are responsible, etc.

Cuz right now the "official" explanation is that the dramatic rise in earthquakes over the past few decades and years is just dramatic rise of reading instruments. But I'm not so sure, it's a great "plausible" explanation, but I think the data should speak for itself.

Once I got the monthly graphs etc, I will start working on data accurate to the day. It would be really fun to perhaps see correlations between global political events on particular dates and possible earthquake spikes at or around that time, or perhaps similar relationships of some sort. I will put up the data on a blog and update it daily.

Rich said:
Namaste - Did the C's definately reference april 2007? or any april?
what is the blank the guest definitely needs to do before a certain date?
Hi Rich,

I do not know if they were referencing to april 2007. The C's message do not mention the year.

About the blank and the guest; i think if Laura did not give it, it must be a personnal matter and it is not required to understand the message.

SAO said:
Already working on it!
Uhhh!
http://www.aari.nw.ru/clgmi/vnb/earthquak2.asp - russian seismological mapping (in english)

Northern hemisphere
http://www.ceme.gsras.ru/

http://www.scgis.ru/russian/cp1251/h_dgggms/1-99/ulomov.htm
Seismogeodynamics and seismological mapping of the Northern Eurasia – in rus, let me know if getting it into english would be helpful

http://www.wdcb.ru/
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/wdc/datalists/index.html

http://zeus.wdcb.ru/wdcb/sep/catalog/entries/data_list.html#seism

http://geo.web.ru/db/earthquake/ - Map of Geo Faculty of Moscow University, uses usgs data

International Seismological Centre
European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre

The most interesting, there is Chinese State Seismological Bureau
You are kindly advised that beginning from today China Seismological Bureau (CSB) has been officially referred to as China Earthquake Administration (CEA). The change of the translation means much more than pure replacement of two words. It is signaling that the organization is extending all activities into the whole spectrum of earthquakes with the vision of reducing the earthquake impact effectively
New adress is http://www.icce.ac.cn/icce/cea/cea.htm
Chinese site is pretty useless osit, they don't give away any info!
Australian mapping

CarpeDiem said:
SAO said:
Already working on it!
Uhhh!
You mean the Russkis already beat me to it?! Again!?! *walks away grumbling*

I think think while this is good stuff to keep an eye on, it's not for the layperson, you gotta really delve into it to understand just what on earth those insane Russkis are talking about. The problem I have with the "bunch of different-size dots on a map" is that it's hard to tell when there's more of them, when there's less, etc, and compare different days in any useful way. They are great to give you specific locations of where the earthquakes are happening though and general strength of the earthquake. But on a graph you instantly see even the slightest increase in numbers over a period of time. There are similar graphs out there, but I could not find any detailed ones, only yearly earthquake data, and even then, only a narrow range of years. And I already found a giant disappearance of all data for a particular magnitude and data range in the USGS database which nobody seems to explain, and the USGS guys aren't replying to emails. So any graphs I find online I'd have to know exactly what database they got it from, and whether that database has data that USGS does not, because if it was copied from USGS then it's missing a LOT of data also. Then they'd have to explain this lack of data and why their graphs would suddenly collapse creating the impression that earthquakes for certain magnitudes just stopped happening since 2004. Anyway I'd feel safer making my own graphs since at least I know where the data came from and that I'm not fudging it myself.

The thing is, even if we only care about current trends, that data hole in USGS database stopped and never resumed since 2004. So any and all graphs to do with various magnitude earthquakes around the world based on the USGS database would be seriously messed up, and they'd have to include an explanation for why they are messed up and exactly what is missing etc. I have not found another database (well there is data in other places but it's hard to collect it for graphing cuz it's so narrowed and specific) that does fill that hole. Part of me wants to say "I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for this" but I know that this could not have happened by accident. So why did they stop recording it? And why only that particular range of magnitudes? It's like if suddenly we were missing all the data for temperatures and weather from 2004 till today and onwards, for any day that had the temperature between 20 and 30 degrees. And since they stopped recording that data, they never resumed. I'm sure a lot of people would be asking serious questions like "why the hell not!". But why is this acceptable for earthquakes? The general silence about this thing is what makes my wishful thinking side say "See there must be a perfectly good reason for this that you just aren't aware of". But what could it possibly be? That whole program of "The experts know what they are doing, so if you see a serious problem, it's a problem with you and not what they are doing of course, you just don't get it!" - this program has got to go...

Wow, I simply google'd 'earthquake database history' and there is a
lot of databases to be found.

Off topic(?) I found this very interesting interactive web-based mapping program:
_http://nationalmap.gov/

The right side column has for example: Geology->Hazards->Real-Time Earthquake.
You can drag-release an area-box for zooming into a specific area on the map.
Cool program.

This contains a LOT of data for the US. Too bad there isn't a global version.

I had a very strange experience regarding earthquakes a couple of months ago. I sometimes have prophetic dreams which have occured sporadically over the years but this was a first for me... I was driving to work and here in the states, they have these portable digital text signs which they put up to display construction messages. It was a Monday, and this sign had been put in place over the weekend. I glanced at it just before turning my head to check traffic. It read. "Killer Quake." When I turned my head back and looked again, the message had to do with the construction lanes, etc. It really freaked me out. First time I had something like that happen to me. All that said, I haven't bought into the whole preperation game even though I had that experience. With my luck, my supplies would be 40 miles from me if anything happens. I have been considering carrying some type of small survival kit in my car though.

I sent off an email to the USGS complementing on the National Map
Viewer and asked if they had a "world map" of the same. Here is what
I got in response!!

===============================================
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your compliments on The National Map viewer, which is a combination of HTML/Javascript on the client-side along with a server-side Java servlet that serves as middleware between the public interface to our USGS catalog and the viewer client. The map extent of the public viewer is constrained to the fifty States along with adjacent countries. We do have an in-house application called 'MapView' which allows a world view for map extent. You can access this software through our catalog technical resources link at http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/catalog/tnm_catalog_page2.html. MapView is a Java webstart application, which is run over the web instead of being installed on the client computer, and requires the Java Runtime Environment.

We have historical earthquake information for the U.S. in the layer called 'Major Historic Earthquakes (1568-2004)' under the Geology - Hazards theme. This data was obtained through The National Atlas at http://www.nationalatlas.gov/maplayers.html. We are also working with the National Geophysical Data Center under NOAA to harvest significant earthquake data for the world from 2150 BC to the present. Hopefully, this data layer will be available in the viewer soon.

Sincerely,
Calvin Meyer

U.S. Geological Survey
Catalog Support Team for The National Map
1400 Independence Road
Rolla, Missouri 65401
Office: (573) 308-3762
E-mail: usgscatalog@usgs.gov
===============================================

If you look in the SOFTWARE section, you will find 'Map Viewer' and in this
page you will find the download section:

http://mcwebstart.er.usgs.gov:8080/MapView/

Be sure to look at in the Geology section to check: "Hazards" and optionally
''Gravity/Magnetic' checkbox and there you will see where gravity/magnetic
centers squarely in the Seattle (Mt. Rainier) area as well as in the Yellow Stone
national park areas! Very interesting as these might be where the cauldrons
are centered, OSIT.

Awesome indeed!

dant said:
Be sure to look at in the Geology section to check: "Hazards" and optionally
''Gravity/Magnetic' checkbox and there you will see where gravity/magnetic
centers squarely in the Seattle (Mt. Rainier) area as well as in the Yellow Stone
national park areas! Very interesting as these might be where the cauldrons
are centered, OSIT.

Awesome indeed!
In the transcripts, Mount Rainier is mentioned in correlation with quake activities

transcript 980704 said:
A: We are glad you noticed this birth of the spike.
Q: (L) Is that a clue? Is this one of those obscure remarks?
Yes, I noticed, the kids killing their parents, all the shooting
going on, the weather... is this connected in some way to
some other event?
A: 27 days of record heat out of 30, oh my oh my! Suggest
you awaken your internet pals, as they are too busy chasing
"goblins" to notice.
Q: (L) So, I should have something to say about this?
A: In Florida now, where to next? How about a shattering
subduction quake in Pacific Northwest of U.S.? We estimate
10.4 on the Richter scale. We have warned of Rainier.
Imagine a 150 meter high tsunami in Puget Sound...

Iconoclast said:
Adam said:
ouch..>.< and considering I live in the netherlands close to the beach!
nice... i fell in love with the empty dutch beaches on my extended vacation in '05.
just walking the beach, thinking.
oh, how i look forward to that again!
thats the only good thing about those beaches :p perfect place to think.

doomsday predictions or not, i am reminded of what the C's said:

The choice comes by nature and free will and looking and listening. Where you are is not important. Who you are is and also what you see.
ye thanks for bringing that up.

Adam said:
You also can read, 'SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea'

it is cheaper, and looks to me it has lots of usefull information about surviving, guess im gonna buy it this week :]

http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Survival-Handbook-Survive-Climate/dp/0060578793/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-6943372-6169465?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175024721&sr=8-2
Did any body read this book?. It has Very good reviews on this book on amazon.

For those who missed it …
Posted by TNT Maddog on http://www.bbsradio.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config.pl/read/16036
Get ready for the Big ONE ! Earthquake
Date: Wednesday, 9 May 2007, at 5:35 p.m.
Subject: Possibility or probability?
FYI - below is a quote from a reliable source - use your judgement
And dowse it please.
I dowse that these will happen, but in reverse order and later -
Perhaps July dates.
I get the epicenter within 20 miles of Taft, CA. Please dowse for
Yourselves.
Share your results with me. Thanks!
Ralph
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"My cousin works for the US-S. We are very close and talk at least 3
Times a week. The conversation we had last night was strange because I
Could tell there was significant anxiety in his speech. He did not get
Into the specifics but shared with me that there is genuine concern
Amongst his peers that we are on the cusp of a cataclysmic earthquake.
He indicated that recent activity in the mid Atlantic ridge is creating
Tremendous pressure on the Pacific - North American plate boundary.

Here is a low down of what the U-GS is quietly expecting in the next
30 days:
May 3 - 10 New Madrid will have a moderate earthquake magnitude 5
To 7
May 10 - 20 Yellowstone will let go with a large earthquake magnitude
6 to 8
[/b]May 20 - June 1 West coast of United States is hit by a great
Earthquake magnitude 8.5 to 10. This will be the BIG ONE that changes
Life as we know it.
The US-S wants to get the word out but have been muzzled by
Go-ernment officials.[/b] They do not want panic or chaos created. They
Also cite earthquake prediction as an inexact science. Fact is that
There are some predictive factors that can be quantified. The
Tectonic plates are intertwined and when pressure is let go in one
Area it builds in another. My cousin cited the I-IS map as a good
Visual display of where the pressure has been released and where it
Is being stored.
www.iris.edu
To further demonstrate that the idea that Gamma Ray Bursts could trigger earthquakes is not knew, I spliced in from http://urbansurvival.com/week.htm

Week to Super Quake?
Our friends, the folks at www.halfpasthuman.com, have been eerily right in some of their recent forecasts, including the flooding of the Mississippi/Red Rivers - which we will get to in a minute.

But first, an urgent advisory from them last night has really got our attention because the technology seems to be able to predict with some degree of accuracy major geological events like earthquakes. With their exclusive permission, here's what was sent out to their subscribers. Now, to understand this completely, you need to know that in predictive linguistic modelspace there is a new "event/news/emotionally impacting" area which comes this summer called "spacegoartfart". And, we are supposed to have something of a release event around May 19th... OK, not a very pretty term this spacegoatfart, but you'll see as you read this how "spacegoartfart" in model space and super quakes could be connected: .
Maybe spacegoartfart should be read as space goes arty farty ?

"We are taking the unusual step of sending out this email.
This is a SpaceGoatFart alert.
Today (Tuesday PM) there was a Gamma Ray Burst with very extreme characteristics which are detailed below.
Before getting to today's SpaceGoatFart, please note that on December 19th, 2004 there was a GRB of barely 9 minutes. December 26th saw the 9.3 earthquake which cracked the IndoAustralian plate, and generated the subsequent tsunami. The temporal distance between the two events was 7.3 days inclusive.
Today's (Tuesday's-G) GammaRayBurst has characteristics unlike most, and which are more extreme than that burst on the 19th. Today's burst lasted 13+ minutes. And had some very extreme frequency afterglow differences not usually seen with GRB's.
This is a archetypical situation for the phrase: "hmmm, that *can't* be good.
Head up, y'all. And know that triangular voids next to things like filled file cabinets are the best survival spots when quakes bring down buildings. However, such voids do not do much for sudden in rushing waters.
Below you will find the grb text description followed by the link to the reporting site.
*************text of the grb description*******
This was quite a burst!
The main emission of gamma rays lasted for about 50 seconds, and had about *20* bright peaks during the first 20 seconds.
After that it faded, but emission was seen for about 800 second total, making this one of the longest bursts ever seen.
Swift's X-Ray Telescope saw a rapidly decaying X-ray afterglow, which was also showing flaring behavior -- rapid peaks of emission. The Ultraviolet/Optical Telescope also detected an afterglow, and several observatories report detecting it as well.
One team of astronomers using the Danish 1.45 meter telescope in La Silla, Chile, report seeing the afterglow in red colors, but not bluer ones. Swift's UVOT confirms this, though the UVOT did detect the burst in visible wavelengths (yellow). This may indicate a large distance for the burst. We eagerly await follow-up observations!
****** end pasted text********* http://grb.sonoma.edu/index.php .
Where's my tent.

This paper says that weeks or minutes prior to quakes, animals usually exhibit unusual behavior:

Etho-Geological Forecasting:

Unusual Animal Behavior & Earthquake Prediction

by David Jay Brown

There is much anecdotal evidence suggesting that some animals have the ability to detect sensory stimuli which humans can not-- even with our most sensitive technological instruments. That many animals have access to a perceptual range exceeding those of humans is scientifically well-established, but it also appears that many animals have sensory abilities not currently explained by traditional science.

For example, British biologist Rupert Sheldrake has documented on videotape how some dogs appear to anticipate the arrival of their owner. Regardless of the time of day that the owner begins their journey home, some of these dogs appear to sense their human companion coming without receiving any known physical signals, and wait for them next to the door or window. Homing pigeons also have remarkable abilities to navigate to their desired location using abilities that are not fully understood.

Many pet owners claim that they have powerful "psychic" bonds with their pets, and often describe their connection with the animal as "telepathic". Like Dr. Dolittle, a lot of people believe that they can communicate with animals. Some people even claim that their pets have precognitive abilities, while others notice their animals act in peculiar ways just before an earthquake strikes.

I personally experienced the latter phenomenon myself prior to a Los Angeles earthquake in 1990. I was in graduate school working on the fifth floor of the USC Neuroscience Building's Learning and Memory lab with several other students, and three calm rabbits. Suddenly the rabbits became noticeably agitated. They started hopping around in their cages wildly for around five minutes, right before a 5.2 earthquake sent the whole building rolling and swaying.

After my experience with the anxious rabbits I have learned that, since the beginning of recorded history, virtually every culture in the world has reported observations of unusual animal behavior prior to earthquakes (and-- to a lesser extent-- volcanic eruptions), but conventional science has never been able to adequately explain the phenomenon. Nonetheless, the Chinese and Japanese have employed such sightings for hundreds of years as an important part of a nationally-orchestrated earthquake warning systems, with some success.

Perhaps most significantly, on February 4, 1975 the Chinese successfully evacuated the city of Haicheng several hours before a 7.3 magnitude earthquake-- based primarily on observations of unusual animal behavior. 90% of the city's structures were destroyed in the quake, but the entire city had been evacuated before it struck. Nearly 90,000 lives were saved. Since then China has been hit by a number of major quakes that they were not as prepared for, and they have also had some false alarms, so their system is certainly not fool-proof. But never-the-less, they have made a remarkable achievement by demonstrating that earthquakes do not always strike without warning.

Helmut Tributsch's beautifully written classic work on the subject of earthquakes and unusual animal behavior-- When the Snakes Awake-- details numerous consistent accounts of the phenomenon from all over the world. Although these behavior patterns are very well-documented, most geologists that I have spoken with at the United States Geological Survey (USGS) don't take it very seriously. The official word from the USGS is that there aren't any earthquake prediction techniques-- unusual animal behavior observations included-- which perform any better than chance.

In fact, the notion that odd animal behavior can help people predict earthquakes is perceived by most traditional geologists in the West as folklore, or an old wives tale, and is often cast into the same boat as sightings of poltergeists, Elvis, and the Loch Ness Monster. The ancient Greeks, on the other hand, considered an understanding of the relationship between unusual animal behavior and earthquakes to be an esoteric form of Secret Knowledge. That such strong support for the application of this knowledge exists in the East-- in long-lived civilizations like China and Japan-- is testimony to the reality of the phenomenon, as they have witnessed many more earthquakes in their long histories than has a comparatively young country like the U.S.

But not all Western geologists are close-minded with regard to the phenomenon. James Berkland-- a retired USGS geologist from Santa Clara County, California-- claims to be able to predict earthquakes with greater than 75% accuracy rate simply by counting the number of lost pet ads in the daily newspaper, and correlating this relationship to lunar-tide cycles. This maverick geologist, has been meticulously saving and counting lost pet ads for many years. Berkland says that the number of missing dogs and cats goes up significantly for as long as two weeks prior to an earthquake.

Gravitational variations due to the lunar cycles, he says, create "seismic windows" of greater earthquake probability. When the number of missing pets also suddenly rises, then-- bingo-- a quake is likely to happen. Berkland said he thinks the USGS won't accept unusual animal data because it doesn't jive with their current scientific paradigm and hypotheses, to which, he says, their precious egos are overly attached. (Researchers who attempt earthquake prediction are often lumped into the same category as fortune tellers and scam artists by traditional geologists.) It is not surprising then to hear that Berkland was suspended from his position as Santa Clara county geologist for claiming to predict earthquakes-- such as the 1989 Loma Prieta quake in Northern California, which was preceded by numerous reports of odd animal behavior.

Unusual behavior is difficult to define, and determining if there is a characteristic behavior is not a simple, clear-cut process, although there are some distinct patterns which have emerged. For example, an intense fear that appears to make some animals cry and bark for hours, and others flee in panic has been reported often. Equally characteristic is the apparent opposite effect of wild animals appearing confused, disoriented, and losing their usual fear of people. Some other common observations are that animals appear agitated, excited, nervous, overly aggressive, or seem to be trying to burrow or hide.

Although the majority of accounts pertain to dogs and cats, there are also many stories about other types of animals in the wild, on farms, and in zoos; including horses, cows, deer, goats, possums, rats, chickens, and other birds. The behavior has been reported in many other animal species as well, including fish, reptiles, and even insects. Deep sea fish, for example, have been caught close to the surface of the ocean on numerous occasions around Japan prior to earthquakes (Tributsch, 1982).

Some fish-- catfish in particular-- are reputed to become agitated before earthquakes, and at times have been reported to actually leap out of the water onto dry land. Snakes have been known to leave their underground places of hibernation in the middle of the winter prior to quakes, only to be found frozen on the surface of the snow. Mice are commonly reported to appear dazed before quakes, and allow themselves to easily be captured by hand. Homing pigeons are said to take much longer to navigate to their destination prior to earthquakes. Hens have been reported laying fewer eggs, or no eggs at all, and pigs have been observed aggressively trying to bite one another before earthquakes (Tributsch, 1982).

Bees have been seen evacuating their hive in a panic, minutes before an earthquake, and then not returning until fifteen minutes after the quake ended. Even creatures such as millipedes, leeches, squid, and ants have been reported to exhibit abnormal behavior prior to earthquakes (Miller, 1996).

These strange behaviors generally occur anywhere from moments to weeks in advance of a quake. Most of the people I have spoken with who have witnessed this phenomenon, observed the strange behavior within twenty-four hours of a quake, although some observations occurred more than a week before the quake struck. Berkland has suggested that there are possibly two primary precursory earthquake signals-- one several weeks before, and the other one just moments before the quake. A lot of reports appear to confirm this.

A number of theories have been proposed to explain this phenomenon, and what the precursory signals that the animals are picking up on might be. Because many animals possess auditory capacities beyond the human range, it has been suggested that some animals may be reacting to ultrasound emitted as microseisms from fracturing rock (Armstrong, 1969).

Another candidate is fluctuations in the earth's magnetic field. Because some animals have a sensitivity to variations in the earth's magnetic field (usually as a means of orientation), and since variations in the magnetic field occur near the epicenters of earthquakes (Chapman and Bartels, 1940), it has been suggested that this is what the animals are picking up on.

Marsha Adams, an independent earthquake researcher in San Francisco, claims to have developed sensors that measure low-frequency electromagnetic signals which allow her to predict earthquakes with over 90% accuracy. Adams suspects that low-frequency electromagnetic signals-- created by the fracturing of crystalline rock deep in the earth along fault lines-- are "biologically active", and that her instruments are picking up the same signals that sensitive animals do. As a result of this technology (whose details are a corporate secret), she says that her system makes unusual animal behavior observations obsolete.

Fish have a high degree of sensitivity to variations in electric fields, and because telluric current variations have also been noted before some earthquakes, Ulomov and Malashev have suggested that this is what the fish may be reacting to. Some organisms respond to changes in the polarity and concentration of atmospheric ions, and they suspect that this sensitivity enables some animals to detect the air-ionizing effects of radon released from the ground in advance of certain earthquakes.

Tributsch has suggested that a piezoelectric effect may be at work here. When certain crystals, such as quartz, are arranged in such a way that pressure is applied along certain of the crystal's axes, the distribution of positive and negative ions can shift slightly. In this way pressure changes produce electrical charging of the crystal's surfaces. On the average, the earth's crust consists of 15% quartz, and in certain areas it can be as high as 55%.

According to Tributsch, the piezoelectric effect of the quartz is capable of generating enough electrical energy to account for the creation of airborne ions before and during an earthquake. This electrostatic charging of aerosol particles may be what the animals are reacting to. Animals, also observed acting unusual in similar ways prior to thunderstorms, may have evolved a sensitivity to electrical changes in their environment (Tributsch, 1982).

The effects of radon gas on the level of air ionization explained above, can also be expected to change the field gradient, and dozens of animals have been shown to be sensitive to changes in the electric field gradient of the atmosphere (Chalmers, 1967). Other possibilities are that the animals are actually experiencing a form of pre-cognition, or they could be perceiving and responding to stimuli that currently science has no way to measure. (Support for the notion of pre-cognition is increased when one compares the reports of unusual animal behavior described in this article, with the even more puzzling reports of strange animal behavior reported in England during World War II. Dr. Sheldrake told me that animals were said to act unusual prior to aerial bomb raids, long before they could have possibly heard or felt the vibrations from the approaching aircrafts.)

Some people say that they feel an uncomfortable pressure in their head, or a persistent headache that lasts for weeks, which suddenly vanishes moments before an earthquake. Because magnetite has been found in some animal brains, Berkland thinks that it is possible that animals may be reacting to their own headaches caused by changes in the earth's electromagnetic field. He said that a dog was observed chewing on willow bark-- from which aspirin in derived-- prior to an earthquake, and he believes that this was an attempt by the dog to self-medicate himself for the headache. He also told me that some people with Multiple Sclerosis-- a disease caused by improper insulation around the electrically-conductive fibers of the nervous system-- experience an increase in symptoms weeks before an earthquake.

Other mysterious phenomena are often connected with earthquakes. The regular eruptions of geysers have been interrupted. Well levels have been reported to change, or the water in them has been known to become cloudy. Magnets have been said to temporarily lose their power. Many people report that there is suddenly an unexplainable stillness in the air, and that all around them becomes completely silent. Strange lights are often seen glowing from the earth, and unusual fogs have been reported. These phenomena are all consistent with the notion that the odd animal behavior may result from changes in the earth's electromagnetic field, or the release of electrically-charged particles due to intense pressure on crystalline rock. (More puzzling is that a number of people claim to have sighted UFO's hovering around earthquake sites.)

Another possibly related point of interest is that electrically-charged ionic particles have been shown to change neurotransmitter ratios in animal brains, and since charged ions may be released prior to some earthquakes, it has been suggested that this may explain the two seemingly-contradictory behavior patterns I discussed above, where in normally-calm pets seem to become frightened, and wild animals often appear to lose their sense of fear (Tributsch, 1982). These neurotransmitter changes could possibly help to explain another related phenomenon. I've noticed that earthquakes themselves (like solar eclipses) sometimes trigger an intense consciousness-altering experience. People often feel energized, emotionally open, and acutely sensitive following earthquakes. Powerful bonding experiences often occur between people in the aftermath of a quake, although this is likely to be true for any natural disaster that people share.

But subjectively earthquake experiences often take on dream-like qualities, or have a sense of unreality about them, perhaps because our most cherished notion of what is safe and solid in the world-- the very ground upon which we rest-- becomes wobbly and unstable. Our whole sense of reality is shaken with the earth, as one is suddenly lifted up out of the mundane, and thrust into the center of what seems an immensely important drama.

California and Japanese residents, like other people living along major fault zones on this planet, don't need to be reminded of the devastation that an earthquake can bring, and currently Western science doesn't have any reliable means of forecasting these earth-shaking events. Tens of thousands of lives are lost globally, and billions of dollars in property damage occur on average every year as a result of earthquakes. Any clues that may be used to help us predict when and where the next quake is coming should be approached with an open mind.

I am currently researching this phenomenon as part of a larger international study of the "psychic" powers of animals, and the material I gather will be used in a forth-coming book. Heading this project is revolutionary biologist Rupert Sheldrake, former Cambridge Don and research fellow of the Royal Society in England, and the author of such popular books as A New Science of Life, The Presence of the Past, Rebirth of Nature, and Seven Experiments that Could Change the World.

I am presently looking to get in touch with anyone who has observed unusual animal behavior prior to an earthquake, or who has experienced any type of paranormal phenomena with their pets. I can be reached at: P.O. Box 1082 Ben Lomond, California USA phone: (408) 336-1924 email: dajabr@well.com

The Earthquake Prediction Page has lots of informative links on the subject.

James Berkland can be reached at: 14927 East Hills Drive San Jose, CA 95127 (408) 258-1192 A subscription to the newsletter Syzygy can be obtained for $40. Back issues are $4.00 Berkland's QuakeLine can be reached at: 1-900-844-JOLT ($1.49 per minute)

Marsha Adams' earthquake prediction service can be obtained through: Time Research Institute P.O. Box 620198 Woodside, CA 94062 (415) 851-1104

Ted Miller's Earthquake Prediction Handbook is a treasure trove of hard-to-find information on unusual animal behavior and earthquakes. It is available for $11.95 plus $3.00 (U.S. currency, $2.00 additional if outside USA) from: Info-Pub 4434 University Pkwy. Suite K-213 San Bernardino, California USA 92407

References and Further Reading:

Evernden, J.F. (ed.) Abnormal Animal Behavior Prior to Earthquakes. U.S. Dept. of Interior Geological Survey, Conference I. Convened under the auspices of the National Earthquake Hazards Reduction Program, USGS, Menlo Park, CA, 23-24, September 1976.

Hatai, S. and Abe, N. "The Responses of the Catfish, Parasilurus ascotus, to Earthquakes." Proc. Imperial Acad. Japan, 8, 1932, pp. 374-378.

Miller, Ted, Earthquake Prediction Handbook, Info-Pub, 1996.

Sheldrake, R., Seven Experiments that Could Change the World, Riverhead Books, 1995.

Suyehiro, Y. "Unusual Behavior of Fishes to Earthquakes." In Scientific Report, Keikyu Aburatsubo Marine Park Aquarium, Vol. 1, 1968, pp. 4-11.

Suyehiro, Y. "Unusual Behavior of Fish to Earthquakes, II." In Scientific Report, Keikyu Aburatsubo Marine Park Aquarium, Vol. 4, 1972, pp. 13-14.

Tributsch, H., When the Snakes Awake, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press, 1982. (Unfortunately this book is currently out of print. However, it can be found in most university science libraries.)

Ulomov, V.I. and Malashev, B.Z. "The Tashkent Earthquake of 26 April, 1966." Acad. Nauk. Uzbek, FAN, Tashkent, 1971.

Back
Top Bottom