Will Smith's altercation at the Oscars

irjO

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Las night at the Oscars thing, there was a little confrontation between Will Smith and comedian Chris Rock, to make story short; Chris joked to Smith's wife Jada Pinkett Smith in the audience, Chris said "Jada, I love ya. G.I. Jane 2, can't wait to see ya." eluding Jada's bald head because apparently in the first Jane movie the protagonist shaved her hair. Jada suffers from autoimmune disorder alopecia (which attacks hair follicles, resulting in bald spots and hair loss) Video of the moment:

Now, I don't see these type of awards and I know Oscar's ratings were going down big time, then I saw this confrontation reposted on social media and first thing I though was 'Well, how convenient for the Oscars', but putting on a side the fact that if it was real or not, made me think, if this was real at what point you should let slides jokes like this and compose yourself? Would you have taken the same approach?
I was putting myself in Will's shoes and not knowing what was behind the situation of the wife, maybe there was a lot of suffering or pain behind which triggered Will to act like that, would that give you the right to punch somebody in the face on live television? I would say, 'I don't know' because I've never been in a situation like that when somebody says something hurtful to your loved one. I think I would just shout something along the lines like Will said after he got back to his seat without the slapping, and that's it. But still, depending on the case you may say I would have taken that approach, there is always going to be a line.
On the other hand, these actors should be used to the fact that these comedians are always going to roast you on these events and Will always is preaching ''love'' and other kind of similar messages, and he even laughed a little at the joke Chris made (but I think he didn't fully get the joke at first and didn't see Jada's reaction, I could be wrong) which would make him seem double faced by all this.

So, the question in my mind would be, at what point defending yourself or your loved one from an insult/joke would get you to act this way? If somebody punches me, I would act back, but when it comes to a bad joke or comment, I'm not sure.

Edit: typo

They say this happened because Will's wife has a balding problem, so calling her G.I Jada (referring to the Demi Moore movie G.I. Jane) is really offensive.

And no, these astonished faces are not due to Zelensky's appearance at the Oscars. In fact, it was good that the Ukrainian leader did not appear at the award ceremony because he would have been overshadowed by Will Smith's tantrum

I didn't know the Oscars were still a thing. Will Smith's punch/slap, whatever one calls that gesture, is pretty gentle. I prefer Zidane's headbutt. Personally, if someones publicly makes fun of my wife (I'm not married), I wouldn't be that gentle, television or no television.
Here's a funny take on the "incident":

Even ignoring how much the situation hurt Will and also the pain that this joke caused his wife (my mother suffers from the universal alopecia variety, they removed her gallbladder, she suffers from thyroid problems and kidney stones, which denotes problems of inflammation and oxidation due to diet, so I know how painful alopecia and its environment can be for certain people) I would say that in the face of a physical threat without a doubt... because no matter how hurtful certain words are, in this case no I see how, beyond stopping the jokes, the blows helped something (the situation does not allow that if he had used words they would have been very listened to, although if he showed anger maybe yes)... I am not going to pass judgment against Will either due to the factors that I already said that I ignore and even more so knowing that not all people have access to certain information as if it is given in this forum... but yes, what he did would be wrong of way he did it in this particular situation, I think.

Last edited:
Call me cynical, but the whole thing comes off as rather acty to me. I mean, he should have had his act together enough to just give him a dirty, unamused look if that comment really got to him. I would not put it past the programming department to script the whole thing just to fluff up some ongoing interest in the Academy Awards (Yawn!). Also, hard face smacks really hurt! Chris appears to be unfazed. If I'm wrong, someone has serious anger management issues.

Call me cynical, but the whole thing comes off as rather acty to me. I mean, he should have had his act together enough to just give him a dirty, unamused look if that comment really got to him. I would not put it past the programming department to script the whole thing just to fluff up some ongoing interest in the Academy Awards (Yawn!). Also, hard face smacks really hurt! Chris appears to be unfazed. If I'm wrong, someone has serious anger management issues.
He had no other choice and kept up the appearance of a humorist until the end... in any case, I don't think it's the first time he's been beaten for making jokes like that.

Thanks for the video, haven't seen it until now. I don't think is faked because nobody watches Oscars:-). But in a sense because nobody watches Oscars, people that is actors who live off publicity might go overdramatic. Imagine you were adored and bathed in attention, people around you would do anything to touch your hand or get your autograph, and than for 2 years you had to walk with 6 feet of distance between someone. What have I experienced personally because of my work, people's behaviour has changed dramatically! Not only the one's that suffered from corona's mass hysteria that weren't going anywhere or avoided people as much as they can. There were also many people that simply forgot how to behave in society. Overly agressive, vulgar or behaving like we know each other for decades but we don't. Last summer I was unlocking my front door and a guy approaches me and asks: So this is where you live? I never saw that guy before! What kind of a question is that for somebody you've never meet before? Or this guy from my work started to sneak behind me and smell my hair. He has wife at home, he can smell her hair. I know many people got lonely but friendships should be nurtured at all times, also decent behaviour and mental health.
I think Jada looks great withouth hair, if she felt uncomfortable because of her condition maybe they should have stayed at home. What I heard alopecia is side effect of something else and bigger. Definitely more too it.
Even before Covid the whole snowflake movement oversensified people. Like what was changed in Youtube, you can't anymore see how many dislikes someone got. Only likes please, we're sensitive.
I was horribly sensitive about critics I would get but I was growing up with mom that insulted me on daily basis. Kids outside smelled it so I was mocked by all kinds of stupid stuff, mostly invented. Only once one boy stood on my side and helped me. Which was sweet. What I developed was autoirony and cynicizm which is hard for me to get rid of. Also I'm behaving too friendly to people so I avoid all kinds of conflicts. Mostly I don't give a damn anymore. What would I do now if someone would provoke me? I don't know I'm not that easily triggered anymore. Try me :lol:.

After the GI Jane 2 comment they showed Will Smith and he was smiling but his wife did not look amused at all. She may have had a quiet word in his ear and instructed him to defend her dignity or else life would get a little bit tricky for him. I don't blame her if she did. That comment was insensitive to say the least.

I don't care about the Oscars but it's trending on Twitter.

Apparently after, actor and devout Christian Denzel Washington pulled aside and comforted Smith and told him: "In your highest moments, be careful, that’s when the devil comes for you." Smith won an Oscar that night.

No matter how you look at the situation. It's a good way of saying to try to keep your cool. It is also true.

Denzel Washington usually has useful advice to offer. He also once said: “If you don’t read the newspaper, you’re uninformed. If you do read it, you’re misinformed”

I like him.

Last edited:
Ever since I grew up watching The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Will Smith for me has been one of those few actors who try to keep his morals and dignity in place despite the strong emotions he must deal with internally despite always being smiling. I was strongly struck by the rather distant contrast and the steps taken by his children, definitely something very bad was going on internally and I recently saw that he has not been able to dissect his children very well, subjecting them to wear his same shoes and hence the results. I admire your courage and the way he let his true feelings flow in the face of such a snake pit. Telling the truth and bearing its consequences takes a lot of courage and conscience. But people are not seeing that value of knowing how to respect your position in life in the face of that kind of normalizing of disrespect, they are just foolishly entertaining the slap and discussing whether or not it was an act, blah blah blah.

He is funny and charismatic, but one thing he has made clear as he has grown in his career, is that he is not and will not be the silly off-screen prince that everyone is going to treat like a fool. He must be putting more pressure on himself than necessary in his life as well to take care of that image. It is burning out, for better or worse, I hope he has the right help for when that rotten industry decides to act against him.

Last edited:
although surely you noticed, I have focused too much on Will's situation and the context that as pedantic as this comedian and his humor is, it is still that... to answer your question, most real situations I don't know They look like this, and the aggressions that could occur in those situations if they are of a more dangerous nature many times, intervening physically if you can afford it, is something you could do.

ps: the blow does not go with that much force, so to a certain extent maybe will moderated it or simply did not hit it quite well or with enough force.

The whole incident looks like straight out of the Idiocracy movie, and I don't even think it was scripted. That's just Hollywood these days, showing the level of maturity these people (that millions admire) have in reality.

I also don't think the joke was that harsh (at least by modern day roasting comedy standards), and Chris Rock doesn't appear to be mean or malevolent when making the joke (and Will Smith actually laughs at the joke first, so his response is really bizarre).

But the point is that there's always the proper level of response to any perceived inappropriate behavior. Obviously punching someone in the face when something mean was said is not appropriate.

In fact now all the stand-up comedians are gonna joke about this incident forever. And no one remembers Smith for winning the Oscar that night. If he had just shook his head and said "my wife has medical condition, don't make jokes about it", it would have been just enough for the situation and Smith would have been celebrated by the liberal media for "bravely defending his wife."

Instead it's Chris Rock who got his act together, and even after he was punched in a live broadcast, was able to wrap things up and continue his job as hoast. Will Smith looked disintegrating in his later speech, then he apologizes his behavior from everyone else except from the man he punched in the face.

Not too graceful from someone who probably sees himself as highly virtuous man.

I know, it's just silly and empty Hollywood drama, but I think there's lesson to be learned from here, as always.

although surely you noticed, I have focused too much on Will's situation and the context that as pedantic as this comedian and his humor is, it is still that... to answer your question, most real situations I don't know They look like this, and the aggressions that could occur in those situations if they are of a more dangerous nature many times, intervening physically if you can afford it, is something you could do.

ps: the blow does not go with that much force, so to a certain extent maybe will moderated it or simply did not hit it quite well or with enough force.

At first I think his anger didn’t let him think twice of any consequences and yeah maybe after he could control himself a little bit at the moment cuz didn’t stay there after slapping Chris, he just went back to his seat!

At first I think his anger didn’t let him think twice of any consequences and yeah maybe after he could control himself a little bit at the moment cuz didn’t stay there after slapping Chris, he just went back to his seat!
yes, although he was still quite angry at the words he addressed to Chris Rock.

Back
Top Bottom