Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

This was a moving and heartwarming story:

From the video:
Sophia suffered a stroke in utero, which deprived her brain of oxygen. The initial diagnosis was, that she had cortical vision impairment, hydrocephalus and brain injury (cerebral palsy). Her prognosis was, that she would be legally blind, wheelchair bound and severely intellectually impaired for the rest of her life.
Both of her parents were pediatric therapists (physical and occupational), and after recovering from the shock, they started to figure out a more integrative treatment plan for Sophia. Her father had heard and read about HBOT, and they decided to give it a go.

They seem to have a soft chamber at their home, and are in the US, so the chamber probably reaches "just" 1.3 ATM (?).
Nevertheless, the results are astounding, even if it took "thousand dives" over a ten year period according to her father.

The father also said, that in addition to HBOT, it was important that Sophia got to train her brain, her nutrition was on point, and so forth.

Bless her and her knowledgeable and courageous parents!

Is this price for all the components mentioned in their website? only for specific components?
This price is only for the 15 l/min oxygen concentrator. The shipping too Denmark is 1,035 USD do it's a significant expense increase. It would obviously have been somewhat cheaper to order it originally.

That means that I have one 5 l/min oxygen generator available. When I was considering getting the 10 l/min OG ZoyTech suggested that I but a 5 l/min OG and use our together with the 5 l/min unit that I already have so apparently you can use them in combination. I don't have the floor space for two units and decided that I'd rather have the 15 l/min version.

If you live close to Copenhagen, have the floor space and want to add a 5 l/min OG to increase the oxygen flow of your HBOT chamber let me know, and I'm sure we can work something out.

for those wanting to get close to 100% oxygen why not get a big scuba cylinder and charge it?
idk if it's possible to feed the compressor with the concentrator and which pressure the compressor you ppl are using reaches but that would get you to "medicinal oxygen" and last several sessions

This was a moving and heartwarming story:

From the video:
Sophia suffered a stroke in utero, which deprived her brain of oxygen. The initial diagnosis was, that she had cortical vision impairment, hydrocephalus and brain injury (cerebral palsy). Her prognosis was, that she would be legally blind, wheelchair bound and severely intellectually impaired for the rest of her life.
Both of her parents were pediatric therapists (physical and occupational), and after recovering from the shock, they started to figure out a more integrative treatment plan for Sophia. Her father had heard and read about HBOT, and they decided to give it a go.

They seem to have a soft chamber at their home, and are in the US, so the chamber probably reaches "just" 1.3 ATM (?).
Nevertheless, the results are astounding, even if it took "thousand dives" over a ten year period according to her father.

The father also said, that in addition to HBOT, it was important that Sophia got to train her brain, her nutrition was on point, and so forth.

Bless her and her knowledgeable and courageous parents!

This is the Hyperbaric chamber in the video, Vitaeris 320 - Portable Hyperbaric Chamber and if you look at it stat, it is not HBOT, as no oxygen input but still gave amazing result without it. And effectively it is a 1.3 ata chamber.

today is my 5th, first one was a test session at 1.4, then one at 2, 2.4 and the rest will be at 2ata

saw one guy doing 2.8 though he's a professional fighter

i am at the waiting room now as there was an emergency and my session got delayed, a family with CO intoxication from a house fire, there's a baby too

today is my 5th, first one was a test session at 1.4, then one at 2, 2.4 and the rest will be at 2ata

saw one guy doing 2.8 though he's a professional fighter

i am at the waiting room now as there was an emergency and my session got delayed, a family with CO intoxication from a house fire, there's a baby too
session done lol
an orange goo came out of my nose after, seems like some sinusoid fluid, i do have sinusitis since birth

I will have to wait a little longer to be able to experience my zoy-HBOT. After I unpacked everything and put the chamber together, which was difficult doing it on my own, I realised that the compressor was damaged. It had a dent on the top of the unit and the lower counter screen was smashed.

I emailed to ask if it was safe to use and sent them a picture of the damage and of the original box to show that the damage most probably occurred before or during packaging. They said they would send me a new cover for the digital screen and that it should not impact the functioning of the unit.

Well, it doesn't work. I went over the instruction video at least 3 times and not a peep. No lights. No-one was home. To make it more frustrating, the unit they connect to in the demo video is not the same as the blue one that I received, yet it is shown to be in the room during the filming. I guess they used a bigger/stronger one with the same connections.

Anyhow, I asked what their policy was for damaged goods and made it clear that I was not in a financial position to pay for the delivery of another one so a solution had to be found. I paid over $400 for customs which was half my pension. I'd be ok with returning the non-functioning unit once the replacement arrived but I'm not paying for that either, so they'll have to come up with something.

Wait and see what happens, I guess. :rolleyes: Murphy's law or Mercury retrograde or something...:lol:

session done lol
an orange goo came out of my nose after, seems like some sinusoid fluid, i do have sinusitis since birth

6th done, first session without ear pain
my ears are very sensitive to pressure changes so this is the first achievement

am also breathing better since yesterday
i think what triggered the sinus unblocking was doing the valsalva maneuveur on the depressurization phase

i was only doing it like @Laura suggested on the coming up each 2-3 breaths and that helped a LOT

2.4ata seemed excesive to me at first and there is not much research so i may stick to 2ata and change other things instead like fasted training, diet, thyroid/hormones

This is some serious overthinking and misunderstanding the mechanics of the thing.

The chamber is constantly blowing in fresh air from the room (which should be well ventilated), and at the same time, the chamber is venting through a pressure valve.

At the same time, oxygen from the O2 machine is constantly flowing in through the tubing to the mask.

So how the heck can anybody suggest that there could be CO2 buildup? If anything, there would be a slight bit of oxygen concentration in the chamber and constant outflow of the air. It probably exchanges pretty fast under pressure.

As to the room, hell's bells! You are sounding like the three sillies! I sit beside the chamber while Ark is in there, about 6 feet away from the oxygen machine, smoking and reading until he is done with his session. As Pierre says, oxygen isn't as dangerous as it has been made out to be.
Yikes. Well I can see that the three sillies story fits my 'thinking' well.
I will try and be more cautious with videos like this in future, more so with thinking errors like this.
I can see in retrospect I was unsure, and it's probably better to ask for other opinion if I am unsure.

Hopefully the HBOT itself will partly help with this? Unsure, but hopeful.

This is the Hyperbaric chamber in the video, Vitaeris 320 - Portable Hyperbaric Chamber and if you look at it stat, it is not HBOT, as no oxygen input but still gave amazing result without it. And effectively it is a 1.3 ata chamber.

Yeah, strangely only an air compressor in mentioned on that website, with no hint at an oxygen concentrator.

In this video however, Sophia's father (Hulet Smith) demonstrates their chamber, and mentions that they have an oxygen concentrator attached to it (1:07 onwards):

That video was from 2017, but the following video is from 2008:

Couple of interesting points mentioned in this clip:

By 2008, they had done 600 dives (lasting usually 60 minutes), so they must have bought the chamber at least a few years before, with the price tag of 20,000 dollars.

The parents took Sophia to a couple of clinics, which had hard chambers to see if she would tolerate the treatment.
After looking at the research, they made the decision to get a soft chamber, as it could be used at the comfort of their home for unlimited amount of treatments. (It was a 80 mile trip to the nearest clinic with 175 dollars a pop, also the constant to-and-fro would perhaps have been difficult for her.)

An aside: if you think about Dr. Shai Efrati's protocol, how 60 sessions in 2.0 ATM for 90 minutes produces the "fountain of youth" effect, and 180 sessions in 1.5 ATM for 60 minutes (did I get that right?) does the same, you could imagine how 600 sessions in 1.3 ATM for 60 minutes would get you there too. (By 2017, Sophia had done 1000 dives.)

The first 15-20 sessions were rough (they used chewing gum to help with the pressure equalization and offered rewards to her), but after that she started to look forward to going into the chamber.
As Sophia's father went to the chamber with her, they made use of time by reading books, for example.

The parents think, that the HBOT in combination with the other modalities (diet, occupational and physical therapy, etc.) were crucial in Sophia's rehabilitiation, and according to her father, "she has had spectacular recovery that medical science can't understand" (in 2008). The only thing that the parents would have done differently, is that they would have started the treatments earlier.

I was a diver in the Navy and we had to learn about oxygen toxicity. Essentially if you’re working hard oxygen becomes potentially toxic to the body at about 1.6 ATA at 100% O2.

There’s treatments where patients breath 100% O2 at higher pressures, however those are always performed with someone observing inside the chamber with the patient who is relaxed.

For home use, it would make sense to limit the pressure of O2 below 1.6 ATA just to avoid the chance of convulsions.
just learned about this
do you really mean O2 pressure or chamber? (pic for reference)

to others, what kind of interval you reckon would be apropriated with 100% O2 @2ata?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220925-034534.png
    Screenshot_20220925-034534.png
    443.7 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, strangely only an air compressor in mentioned on that website, with no hint at an oxygen concentrator.

In this video however, Sophia's father (Hulet Smith) demonstrates their chamber, and mentions that they have an oxygen concentrator attached to it (1:07 onwards):

That video was from 2017, but the following video is from 2008:

Couple of interesting points mentioned in this clip:

By 2008, they had done 600 dives (lasting usually 60 minutes), so they must have bought the chamber at least a few years before, with the price tag of 20,000 dollars.

The parents took Sophia to a couple of clinics, which had hard chambers to see if she would tolerate the treatment.
After looking at the research, they made the decision to get a soft chamber, as it could be used at the comfort of their home for unlimited amount of treatments. (It was a 80 mile trip to the nearest clinic with 175 dollars a pop, also the constant to-and-fro would perhaps have been difficult for her.)

An aside: if you think about Dr. Shai Efrati's protocol, how 60 sessions in 2.0 ATM for 90 minutes produces the "fountain of youth" effect, and 180 sessions in 1.5 ATM for 60 minutes (did I get that right?) does the same, you could imagine how 600 sessions in 1.3 ATM for 60 minutes would get you there too. (By 2017, Sophia had done 1000 dives.)

The first 15-20 sessions were rough (they used chewing gum to help with the pressure equalization and offered rewards to her), but after that she started to look forward to going into the chamber.
As Sophia's father went to the chamber with her, they made use of time by reading books, for example.

The parents think, that the HBOT in combination with the other modalities (diet, occupational and physical therapy, etc.) were crucial in Sophia's rehabilitiation, and according to her father, "she has had spectacular recovery that medical science can't understand" (in 2008). The only thing that the parents would have done differently, is that they would have started the treatments earlier.
600 treatments at 1.3ATA for 60 minutes is equivalent to 180 pressure hours, double the amount of Dr Efratri's protocol!
1000 treatments is 300 pressure hours, 3.3 times his protocol. It seems to me that the protocol could be considered a baseline, and that there would be no concern in going over 90 pressure hours.

Back
Top Bottom