RIP Tyler and a New Family Dog?

Beorn

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
My friends dear dog passed away on Sunday. I would often look after him and take him for runs. His favourite thing to do was chasing a ball. He had leukemia for the last year and his organs finally gave up. There were four humans to say goodbye as he was given the anesthesia overdose that put him to sleep. It was quite a sad moment. Here's the handsome boy with his cheeky little sister.

Tyler and Molly.jpg

I helped pick out his "little sister", Molly, when Tyler was sick and I adore her. I see her a couple of times a week and she's quite attached to me.

My daughter has been asking for a puppy of her own for years and I have to say I've finally come around. I know it's the end of the world and all that but I don't know what's going to happen. We can share a can of salmon if it comes to that.

My daughter is going through her difficult teen years so I think having something else to focus on would be good therapy for her. I also spend 22/24 hours at home because this is where I work for the most part.

I've always been put off buying a dog because it seems like in this world the options regarding sterilization, vaccines, etc. are a choice between bad or worse. I have come around a little into thinking that maybe one can make do with what one has, even if the choices aren't all that great and some suffering can't be avoided.

My friend suggested a Whippet, and I think I agree. They seem to have character traits that I would like, affectionate, sensitive, quiet, energetic and playful. And it kind of sounds a little bit like me. :-D

I've been looking at Aragorn's thread on buying a new puppy and I've written down a list of websites for info on diet, vaccines, training, etc. I haven't decided on anything 100% yet but these are the thoughts I'm having at the moment.

RIP Tyler, he seems to have made a lot of people happy, bless him.

You should talk to @Jones whose dog trainer and has ties to folks over our way if you want info on doggo related things

Yep, I can put a call out in the Professional Dog Trainers of Australia group for someone close to your area to either temp test or help you choose a pup if you decide to go ahead with getting a dog. Though a good breeder will help you match a pups temperament to your lifestyle. There's a few whippet breeders in WA. The hound group happens to be my favourite :thup: but as with everything, it's a matter of personal preference. You could find out if there are any lure coursing or agility events in your area and go see if there are whippets competing there to check them out. Whippets seem to enjoy both sports - but can be equally good upholstery tarts after exercise.

Last edited:
Comme ils sont beaux tous les deux...
Je vous présente mes plus sincères condoléances, c'est toujours une atroce déchirure quand on perd ces véritables amis qui nous ont comblés de bonheur, de confiance, de souvenirs et surtout d'amour inconditionnel
De tout coeur avec vous...

How beautiful they both are...
I offer you my most sincere condolences, it is always a heartbreak when we lose these true friends who have filled us with happiness, confidence, memories and especially unconditional love.
My heart goes out to you...

Hey Beorn :hug2:
Tyler feels and looks like a very gorgeous, happy soul.
Clearly he had the wisdom to choose some awesome humans as his tribe to freely share his beautiful heart and energy with and you were also an important part of that. So lovely to know so many who cared deeply were there to farewell him as he transitioned into a new experience, released from suffering and embraced by the light realms. What a loving way to honour the connection with him.

Molly is adorable! I am sure she would have been delightful company, and very comforting for Tyler in his final months and days. It is so hard to see them suffer, but sometimes I think they actually handle it better than we do. We are all better for loving others unconditionally and animals certainly gift us some deep lessons around this, and touch us in ways that affect us profoundly.

I know as things are becoming more challenging on every level, it can seem a bit overwhelming thinking about how to care/provide for another soul, but given that there are so many beautiful dogs out there that are already in genuine need of a loving home, I am sure that even if things become more challenging, you will always find a way to feed and nurture a dog, and also share in the profound joy and comfort it will likely bring your daughter. It sounds like she really would benefit from having a beautiful 2D companion... perhaps their souls have been calling to one another for a long time. IMHO, trust your instincts and have faith in how the Universe provides. We are each here for our own experiences... however brief. It is the quality and depth of them, not so much the 'time'. I would rather love deeply and freely in the days to come, than never having taken the chance at all.

I do also love the d-o g / g-o-d mirror :flowers: Dogs (to me) are angels sent by God, with four paws and fur.💗

Sorry to hear about Tyler.. Yeah, I think getting a dog is a good idea too! They make our lives so much better.. and hopefully we make their life better too... because..
I know it's the end of the world and all that but I don't know what's going to happen. We can share a can of salmon if it comes to that.
Look at it this way: a dog has to live somewhere.. so why not with you? Even if things get tough, if the dog is part of your pack now he'll be having a more wonderful life than if he wasn't!

I haven't known any whippets personally but they seem really cool.. I also love greyhounds,.. apparently they are surprisingly into lazing around the house. We wanted to get one when we were looking to adopt a rescue dog, but, OUR dog found us first (blue heeler x something (border collie? husky? dunno)).. we would still like to adopt a greyhound eventually, if they'll get on with each other.. Our dog Lucy has a greyhound friend we always see at the park, called Louie... a big rascal, running all over the place like a crazy.. he's great, sooo friendly :) His family includes a miniature fox terrier and an ancient pug called Doug who wheezes along behind the rest of 'em...

Thank you all for the replies! It was definitely good to have little Molly to keep Tyler company in the last months. She's a bit sad now though so we're trying to keep her busy and entertained.

Yep, I can put a call out in the Professional Dog Trainers of Australia group for someone close to your area to either temp test or help you choose a pup if you decide to go ahead with getting a dog. Though a good breeder will help you match a pups temperament to your lifestyle. There's a few whippet breeders in WA. The hound group happens to be my favourite :thup: but as with everything, it's a matter of personal preference. You could find out if there are any lure coursing or agility events in your area and go see if there are whippets competing there to check them out. Whippets seem to enjoy both sports - but can be equally good upholstery tarts after exercise as @Z... can probably attest to.
Thank you Jones. It looks like there's a few whippet breeders in Perth. If you know someone you would recommend for breeding/training that would be great! I've joined the Whippet Club of WA on FB and it looks like they have regular lure coursing tryouts.

I know as things are becoming more challenging on every level, it can seem a bit overwhelming thinking about how to care/provide for another soul, but given that there are so many beautiful dogs out there that are already in genuine need of a loving home, I am sure that even if things become more challenging, you will always find a way to feed and nurture a dog, and also share in the profound joy and comfort it will likely bring your daughter. It sounds like she really would benefit from having a beautiful 2D companion... perhaps their souls have been calling to one another for a long time. IMHO, trust your instincts and have faith in how the Universe provides. We are each here for our own experiences... however brief. It is the quality and depth of them, not so much the 'time'. I would rather love deeply and freely in the days to come, than never having taken the chance at all.

I do also love the d-o g / g-o-d mirror :flowers: Dogs (to me) are angels sent by God, with four paws and fur.💗
Thank you forest_light, that's a beautiful way to put it. I do tend to have anxiety thinking about all the negatives. What if something goes wrong? What if I can't look after it? So I should trust the Universe to provide all that I need and not worry so much.

I haven't known any whippets personally but they seem really cool.. I also love greyhounds,.. apparently they are surprisingly into lazing around the house. We wanted to get one when we were looking to adopt a rescue dog, but, OUR dog found us first (blue heeler x something (border collie? husky? dunno)).. we would still like to adopt a greyhound eventually, if they'll get on with each other.. Our dog Lucy has a greyhound friend we always see at the park, called Louie... a big rascal, running all over the place like a crazy.. he's great, sooo friendly :) His family includes a miniature fox terrier and an ancient pug called Doug who wheezes along behind the rest of 'em...
It sounds like a fun time for Lucy and the other dogs. I wouldn't have thought of one of the sighthounds as a family dog until my friend mentioned it but it seems like their personality fits pretty well. I know my daughter will be so excited to have a dog around the house.

I am sorry for Tyler's passing, but he seems he was a lucky one with a loving family. I also believe that your daughter would benefit from having a dog. Having someone to take care of will always help a kid get maturity and self worth. I haven't come across many whippets in my life but I heard they were adorable. Just a question, do you have harsh winters were you live? I know whippets are sensitive to cold.

I'm sorry for your loss @Beorn :hug2:
A black dog friend is something very special in this world
and now you've got yourself even more special spiritual guardian.

It's hard that some other dog could replace him. It's impossible.

But always buy a dog.
That's the only possible way that the money could get you - love !
( someone smart once said that ...)
❤️

Just a question, do you have harsh winters were you live? I know whippets are sensitive to cold.
No, it's pretty warm here all year round. Even the winters are moderate.

I'm sorry for your loss @Beorn :hug2:
A black dog friend is something very special in this world
and now you've got yourself even more special spiritual guardian.

It's hard that some other dog could replace him. It's impossible.

But always buy a dog.
That's the only possible way that the money could get you - love !
( someone smart once said that ...)
❤️
Thank you for the kind words Maya. I think a dog is on the way.

A beautiful photo of the good boy and girl. Tyler looks like he was one smart dog...you can always tell by their eyes. I'm so sorry at yours and his main family's loss.

I love all animals and have shared my life with many different species, but dogs are super special...The Creator did a fantastic job there and gave a huge blessing to mankind. I secretly believe dogs choose us and pull our attention to that special one, out of so many choices.

I can't wait to see who will grace your family's lives...Please post a photo!

If you know someone you would recommend for breeding/training that would be great!
I don't know anyone personally over that way, either breeder or trainer, but I do know some ethical professional trainers who run groups, trainings and schools for other trainers. I can put a call out in those directions to help find someone if training issues arise.

A beautiful photo of the good boy and girl. Tyler looks like he was one smart dog...you can always tell by their eyes. I'm so sorry at yours and his main family's loss.

I love all animals and have shared my life with many different species, but dogs are super special...The Creator did a fantastic job there and gave a huge blessing to mankind. I secretly believe dogs choose us and pull our attention to that special one, out of so many choices.

I can't wait to see who will grace your family's lives...Please post a photo!
Yes, Tyler was super smart. I was constantly surprised how much of the English language he appeared to understand without being trained! I will definitely post a pic once we've chosen a dog or a dog chooses us :-).

I don't know anyone personally over that way, either breeder or trainer, but I do know some ethical professional trainers who run groups, trainings and schools for other trainers. I can put a call out in those directions to help find someone if training issues arise.

Thanks Jones. It just so happens that the Dogs West open day is on in 2 weeks. I'll take my daughter down so we can have a look.

Back
Top Bottom