DMSO - Dimethylsulphoxide

Psyche said:
While reviewing DMSO studies, I found the following related to sinusitis and nasal polyps:

Excellent results were obtained in six of the seven cases with acute sinusitis
and good results in the other. In the second subgroup of five patients, one
patient was considered to have had an excellent result and two, good results.
In this series, DMSO was not applied to the mucous membrane but only to
the over-lying skin. In all patients within one-half hour there was decreased
nasal congestion and the onset of a profuse nasal discharge. In nine of the
twelve cases the discharge was purulent, which indicated effective drainage
of the infected sinus cavities.

The response in one patient was particularly impressive. This 52-year-old
female had had recurrent nasal polyps and in an attempt to treat this entity
she had been subjected to many polypectomies, which all proved to be unsuc-
cessful. In desperation, she was subjected to a course of radiation therapy, but
again this was unsuccessful. Following topical DMSO therapy, using the
patient’s own words, “DMSO had done more” for this recurring condition
than any other type of therapy previously tried. A few minutes after DMSO
was applied to the patient, a large volume of purulent material drained from
the nose and relief of congestion occurred.

The above results were obtained by applying DMSO to the skin of the
face only. It would have been interesting to observe the therapeutic effect of
DMSO applied to the nasal mucous membrane itself.

FWIW.

This is very interesting. Do you know what the concentration was? And what should it be for doing a snizzle with it? If I recall, DMSO is anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. I'm wondering if it would work better than a snizzle with Nystatin for getting rid of polyps.

Also, I'm wondering if just one application of the DMSO on the face got rid of the polyps, or if it is an on-going therapy that is done every day? The article didn't specify.

As far as DMSO helping people with mental problems. That's really amazing!

Pscye said:
All patients stopped their conventional therapy 2 weeks before they started on the DMSO. This study is from the 1960s.

Of course, since it worked so well, they are no longer doing this, right?

Nienna Eluch said:
Of course, since it worked so well, they are no longer doing this, right?

That is right. In fact, the paper is hardly quoted in medline.

For the sinusitis study, they used DMSO 70% twice a week. They applied around 5 ml in the forehead, over the nose, and in the maxillary sinus area. They didn't apply it in the mucosa because they didn't have permission of their own country to test it in this way :rolleyes: But they were wondering themselves of the possible benefits or effects.

The study used one application or two at the most for week because it was a study about interval doses of DMSO as opposed to daily ones. They have good results with this interval dose and actually some people responded better this way. In the first application nothing happened, but in the second one there was a positive response. Possibly a "priming effect." Here is the summary:

INTERVAL THERAPY WITH DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE
M. Marvin Paul

Annals New York Academy of Sciences

Summary

One-hundred and eighty patients were treated with dimethyl sulfoxide,
5 to 15 ml topically in 70 per cent concentration, administered once or twice
weekly. Among the categories of disease evaluated were acute injuries, chron-
ic rheumatoid arthritis, cervical and lumbar disc syndrome, varicose veins,
acute and chronic sinusitis and thrombophlebitis. The results achieved in this
study, giving DMSO only once or twice weekly to acute and chronic patients,
compared favorably with those obtained by others administering the same
dosage twice daily.

Four were diabetics treated with DMSO. Two of these were under control
with Insulin and two required Tolbutamide. Topical DMSO to the two
insulin-treated diabetics was associated with a forced reduction in insulin do-
sage, while no change was required in the two patients receiving Tolbutamide.
Topical DMSO was followed by a blanching of telangectasia, a diminution
in the size of varicosities, reduction in the edema accompanying varicose veins
of the lower extremities, and a relief of the cramping discomfort in the lower
extremities.

Unexpected improvement occurred in two patients with residual damage
following cerebrovascular accidents. The damage had been sustained more
than two years prior to therapy.

The side effects in this series were considered minor. Two patients showed
local dermatitis that persisted for upwards to 12 days, and six an increased
sensitivity to sunlight at the site of application.

Dimethyl sulfoxide in this overall low dosage regimen showed good re-
sults in a wide variety of clinical conditions with an absence of serious side
effects.

Amazing :) This study is also from the 1960s.

Psyche said:
Amazing :) This study is also from the 1960s.

Of course it is. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Psyche. This will give me something to think about. And maybe try. The sensitivity to sunlight is what is bothering me since I am already having this problem because of a med that I am on my way off of.

But using as a snizzle is still in my head. :)

Bo said:
Alright so I got my saline solution, I went back to the pharmacy cause other people told me that they MUST have it, even though the woman there told me they didn´t.

So I went back to the pharmacy and this time it was a guy, that other woman wasn't there, and when I asked him about saline solution, he instantly knew what I meant and gave me the saline solution without anything added or what just the saline solution.

awesome :headbanger:

Today I will start using the DMSO in my eye and follow all the recommendations that were givin to me, I will report back in a month about the process.

After looking around for awhile and just finding saline solutions with preservatives, I think Ive found one with no preservatives. But I just wanted to make sure with the forum if its the correct one to use with DMSO.

On the box its title is "Sterile Saline Solution", contents: CVS/Pharmacy saline solution is an aqueous solution containing sodium chloride, boric acid, and sodium borate.
Also it says on the box that its for contact rinse only. I asked the pharmacy lady and she said that its pure. So I just wanted to make sure.

Bo, what were the contents on your saline solution?

Infiniteness said:
After looking around for awhile and just finding saline solutions with preservatives, I think Ive found one with no preservatives. But I just wanted to make sure with the forum if its the correct one to use with DMSO.

On the box its title is "Sterile Saline Solution", contents: CVS/Pharmacy saline solution is an aqueous solution containing sodium chloride, boric acid, and sodium borate.
Also it says on the box that its for contact rinse only. I asked the pharmacy lady and she said that its pure. So I just wanted to make sure.

Bo, what were the contents on your saline solution?

I just wanted to apologize for the noise above. I did not due the proper research and thinking before buying the product and posting the above post. After thinking/researching I realized what I needed was just the "sterile saline" and not "sterile saline solution", although that might work too. That's what happens when you have a tendency to take short cuts and have one foggy brain.

The bottle that I am getting now is "Sterile Saline Wound Wash", with the ingredients of just purified water, sterile 0.9% sodium chloride, which should work for the eyes as will.

Psyche said:
This was particularly true so far as obsessive-compulsive patients were concerned.
Patients said that they felt calm, that ideas did not upset them as before, that
they were able to overcome their obsessive compulsions and that finally they
were able to act in a more spontaneous way.

That's interesting as I have OCD. But intramuscular injections sounds like a far fetched idea. I wonder if oral ingestion has the same effects.

3D Student said:
That's interesting as I have OCD. But intramuscular injections sounds like a far fetched idea. I wonder if oral ingestion has the same effects.

It will not have the same effect, but it is really not practical to do IM injections. I think that taking it orally occasionally (once a week or so) will still be of help.

Thanks for the info Psyche. I'm not sure if I am able to use it orally, because others around me always smell it. I've been meaning to use it topically though, but haven't mixed it up yet.

3D Student said:
Thanks for the info Psyche. I'm not sure if I am able to use it orally, because others around me always smell it. I've been meaning to use it topically though, but haven't mixed it up yet.

Yeah, that is the problem when you take it orally. I've been using a cream with DMSO and rosehips topically, and it really does help. And it doesn't smell, well, at least that is what I'm told ;)

SAO said:
Would it make sense to try it for menstrual cramps? I know someone who suffers from really painful ones.

She could give the DMSO cream a try. I also tried medical tape for menstrual cramps and it worked pretty well, there is a technique in the manual.

Psyche said:
SAO said:
Would it make sense to try it for menstrual cramps? I know someone who suffers from really painful ones.

She could give the DMSO cream a try. I also tried medical tape for menstrual cramps and it worked pretty well, there is a technique in the manual.

Something that also helps is magnesium, since it acts as a muscle relaxant, it reduces the cramping.

Ok thanks guys, I'll suggest all 3 for maximum effect. Though I think ultimately good diet and exercise would go a long way to help in the long run.

Hi Gandalf and 3D Student,

I bought my DMSO from DMSO.net also and it did not come with a safety seal. Did your bottles come with safety seals?

I haven't opened my big jug and have used a smaller bottle. But the jug has masking tape over it.

Back
Top Bottom