New Forum layout April 2018

Solarmind,

But still after few days, I thought I will figure it out, but unfortunately I can't figure out is there saved list of bookmarked articles and threads we did in the past? For me it was very useful, as in the morning in short time that I have for coffe, I used to go though forum to bookmark things to read them later at night ... so there was many things left open that I wanted to go though, or get back to some after learning some stuff etc ... so if it still exist somehow it will help a lot?

Gandalf has already answered most of what you were asking about. I can only add a couple of other ideas I have found work well.

You can right click on your avatar and go to a new tab or click "Members" to see your profile. You can see all your postings by clicking the "Postings" button. Any thread you posted to is there. You may have to find the specific threads you were interested in and add them but that shouldn't take too long. You can also still bookmark threads if you like that better. You can also "Watch" threads and forums. There are "Alerts" that give activity from your posts. And in Preferences under your settings the first two checkboxes allow you to:

Automatically watch content you create…

Automatically watch content you interact with…

To see your postings:

solarmind "Postings"

Also, if you re-read this whole thread I think you might find more helpful information.

Ahhhhh!

The one thought, however, which I’m still bouncing around in my head is this...

The “Like” feature.

Hm.

On the one hand, it’s a great way to show appreciation and support. It’s a standard expectation among the phone and tablet media consuming gen-pop. Encouragement and approval have their appropriate places in any social group. And what better place to explore its repercussions than here?

On the other hand...

Ego, ego! The motivation of writing for crumbs of attention sneaks its mechanical tentacles into a discourse by placing a numerical value on a post and its author.

I’m still trying to work out my thoughts on the matter.

Hello Woodsman,

I thought about this “Like” feature was useless too. But then I found out that it is useful in some of situations, something like,
When someone replied to my post, and I like/agreed but don’t need to reply back.
I am saying that I got the message.
Thanks for answering my inquiry.
I might find out more reasons later but it makes simple, just need one click that save time and space in forum pages too.

From some days ago I think that I am not receiving emails every time a new post is sent to a thread that I am watching. I have scanned my spam folder just in case but nothing there is there. Is it possible that exist some problem with emails broadcasts?

You receive only one notifications, no matter how many new posts are there. The alert resets itself when you visit the thread, and a new one is created with the next new post arriving - again, only one. You are thus notified that there is (are) new post(s) in that watched thread. Otherwise, with active threads (and/or a relatively long absence from the forum) your inbox would be overloaded with alerts.

Unless I misunderstood you, it should explain the lack of multiple emails concerning the same thread.

For this one, you have to create a new list. To do so, when you want to watch(bookmark) a thread, you click on the top of the thread on the little icon "Watch" and it will be added to our watched thread.

Thank you Gandalf for the link on transcripts and yes I though "watch" is actually a new "bookmark" option ... but was hoping that maybe list is still somewhere, but so ok ... I will rebuild again my list of threads and articles I want to explore more through the time ... probably thorugh my old posts of interests I can more easily track them ... thank you!

Ahhhhh!

That feels nice!

Old code bases updated, duct tape hacks replaced with new beams and bolts, barnacles scraped off the hull. Dust bunnies swept from under the bed. (Room cleaning). Etc.

Nice job!

The one thought, however, which I’m still bouncing around in my head is this...

The “Like” feature.

Hm.

On the one hand, it’s a great way to show appreciation and support. It’s a standard expectation among the phone and tablet media consuming gen-pop. Encouragement and approval have their appropriate places in any social group. And what better place to explore its repercussions than here?

On the other hand...

Ego, ego! The motivation of writing for crumbs of attention sneaks its mechanical tentacles into a discourse by placing a numerical value on a post and its author. It also invites band-wagon thinking; readers embracing an idea as relevant not because one has thought through one-on-one with a concept but because a herd dynamic is having an effect. -Which already happens through natural systems of discourse, but it is not streamlined for ease of not-thinking. Facebook’s demigorgons have learned the immense power of the “Like" button, and use it to their advantage in addicting users and manipulating herd behavior.

Without “Likes” one has to dig deeper; if you do or do not agree with a post and want to add your voice, you have to consolidate your reasoning, crystalize it and post, -which heats up the crucible of the mind, forwards a conversation with real power. It’s not the easy path.

So two hands... I've seen and used the feature in other forums, seen and experienced it in both a positive and a negative manner.

I’m still trying to work out my thoughts on the matter.
Against the backdrop world-dominated social-media, the 'Like' here is actually a good thing. Cassies should embrace it as yet another lesson for learning objectivity... Those with little or no 'Likes' (points) must rise above feeling emotionally disheartened, and those with many 'Likes' (points) learn to keep Ego in check...

No Lesson too small.

From some days ago I think that I am not receiving emails every time a new post is sent to a thread that I am watching. I have scanned my spam folder just in case but nothing there is there. Is it possible that exist some problem with emails broadcasts?

Have you checked your Preferences (profile menu on the top right->Preferences)? There you can turn on and off email notifications. Note that all notifications from the previous forum are gone, so you only receive them for threads you participated in or "watched" after the update. Otherwise, what PoB said - you receive only one alert for each thread until you read it, just like it was on the old system

Unless I misunderstood you, it should explain the lack of multiple emails concerning the same thread.

Thanks for your explanation, I think that it was the issue, I was used to getting an email for every post sent.

Have you checked your Preferences (profile menu on the top right->Preferences)?

And thank you luc for your answer too. I already enabled all kind of notifications ;-)

Ego, ego! The motivation of writing for crumbs of attention sneaks its mechanical tentacles into a discourse by placing a numerical value on a post and its author. It also invites band-wagon thinking; readers embracing an idea as relevant not because one has thought through one-on-one with a concept but because a herd dynamic is having an effect.

There is certainly some truth to it, but the feature itself is really neutral if you think about it. It depends on how it is used. The usage here can differ from the usage on Facebook or other platforms: It depends on the persons. If we all use it intelligently, it will be an intelligent feature. If we all use it stupidly, it will be a stupid feature. In any case, it does provide a feedback mechanism to the author, and helps prevent cluttering threads with "Thanks!", "Me too!", "Ditto!", "+1" etc. messages.

Personally, here, I hit "Like" when I appreciate the effort that has been put into a post, and/or if it expresses thoughts that I could/would/should have written myself. Thus, each "like" a post receives will have a slightly different meaning, depending on the person.

I like to say this experience has been firing some neurons. The upgrades have been a lot of fun and educational.
So I will say, "Thank You all for your hard work" it is spectacular.

A Great Experience Vol. 1 (Due to user incompetence) Me :-[
images

Vol. 2 Confidence Driver :cool:
images

Woodsman said:
Ego, ego! The motivation of writing for crumbs of attention sneaks its mechanical tentacles into a discourse by placing a numerical value on a post and its author. It also invites band-wagon thinking; readers embracing an idea as relevant not because one has thought through one-on-one with a concept but because a herd dynamic is having an effect.
There is certainly some truth to it, but the feature itself is really neutral if you think about it. It depends on how it is used. The usage here can differ from the usage on Facebook or other platforms: It depends on the persons. If we all use it intelligently, it will be an intelligent feature.

I am also still trying to make out what to really think about the "Like" feature. Is it good? Is it bad? There's no Black-and-White-answer and especially on a forum like this it depends on how it is used - the motivation that goes into clicking that button. I am trying to ask the following question when it comes to the "Like" feature: Why would I give a "Like" to this or that post? For me, considering this is weighing the Yes and No (i.e. click "Like" vs. not clicking "Like") against the question of self-importance (my own and "feeding that of others") and also the "objective" reasons for which I would like a post.

I had a similar thought like that of Woodsman, that people (myself included) will try to post more as well as putting more effort into writing even more elaborate and thoughtful posts in order to garner "Likes" - but that could lead to positive results on the other hand: for the forum as a whole (regarding its content quality) and for the persons involved. By this I mean, that garnering "Likes" might be the initial motivation behind more thorough posts, but that motivation could change towards posting for the sake of contributing something useful.

By thinking things more through brain circuits are trained, the thinking faculty grows which could lead to more reflection with positive benefits of working on oneself (which might include the aforementioned initial self-importance in garnering "Likes" as well - like, that it diminishes). Thoughtfulness might then happen more for the sake of making a useful contribution to the forum as a whole and less "just" for "Likes". And why not honoring a thoughtful post - or a helpful one - with a "Like"? ;-)

Just my few cents.

There is certainly some truth to it, but the feature itself is really neutral if you think about it. It depends on how it is used. The usage here can differ from the usage on Facebook or other platforms: It depends on the persons. If we all use it intelligently, it will be an intelligent feature. If we all use it stupidly, it will be a stupid feature. In any case, it does provide a feedback mechanism to the author, and helps prevent cluttering threads with "Thanks!", "Me too!", "Ditto!", "+1" etc. messages.

Personally, here, I hit "Like" when I appreciate the effort that has been put into a post, and/or if it expresses thoughts that I could/would/should have written myself. Thus, each "like" a post receives will have a slightly different meaning, depending on the person.

I tend to feel the same way, but we'll see.

In this post-Gurdjieff phase, what we've learned will be put to the retention test. Letting out the leash a bit with new powers is how tests are performed.

However, I am already seeing subtle social pressures bandying about, (as per usual and as is normal in any group, but new). In those times when they become cumbersome, how willing will people be to step out of the mechanical flow to examine them?

Now there is an extra level of pressure. -If, for instance, a person disagrees with a popular post, they have to overcome the fear of inciting disapproval from the list of names tagged next to the "Thumbs Up" symbol.

I am generally inclined to perk up and pay attention when somebody is going against the flow. -It is often the brave soul who sees something amiss and who has the courage to speak up that forwards learning, risking very real (fair or unfair) punishment at a variety of levels. Will that happen less frequently? Will it simply require more courage?

In a pure game-theory sense, is there a net benefit from a stack of "Likes" or a net setback? I bet you anything that there's some hard science behind it, and I wonder if anybody here knows the details. I certainly don't; I'd be interested in reading some papers done behind the doors of the silicone valley marketing and social science divisions on this subject. While game-theory is the province of psychopaths and monsters, it is fully applicable to mechanical beings, -which we are most of the time.

Because when changing course or adding a new feature, I think it's probably smart to *really* think it through before fully embracing it. Even if it turns out to be a net positive, (and it may very well be so), then knowing why has value.

But I'm content to watch and learn and revisit in a few months time. Take notes, folks! Stay alert. Falling asleep isn't just a danger; it's the normal state of being.

Now there is an extra level of pressure. -If, for instance, a person disagrees with a popular post, they have to overcome the fear of inciting disapproval from the list of names tagged next to the "Thumbs Up" symbol.

I am generally inclined to perk up and pay attention when somebody is going against the flow. -It is often the brave soul who sees something amiss and who has the courage to speak up that forwards learning, risking very real (fair or unfair) punishment at a variety of levels. Will that happen less frequently? Will it simply require more courage?
I suspect the amount of courage needed to go against the flow would also be enough to bypass any number of likes, so that the likes would not prevent speaking up.

I don't see the problem here. to Like is no different from expressing your agreement in a conversation and is a cheap and valuable feedback. Also for example with the quotes published in the Profile Posts of other members, its interesting how certain content that kept circling in my own mind is resonating with other people as well, as i can see by the Likes. There is always a space between herd mentality on one side and the strengthening of a tribal unit by making resonance visible on the other side.

I may add that I never did a Like anywhere in the net before here in the new forum, I don't have facebook, twitter or similar media up to now. I have exactly one Like, just from mentioning a technical thing that apparently was nice to know for somebody else.

Anyway positive and negative stuff happens because of people, not because of things or features.

Back
Top Bottom