Body by Science / HIIT Experiment

Okay, here are some words of encouragement for those reading this who are still sitting on the fence about this whole thing. Do yourself a favor, get the book, and take it seriously!

This looks really good! When I first caught up on the thread, I thought that can't be right, surely we are not talking about one workout for just 15 minutes per week!! This is perfect timing as I have been looking for an exercise routine that I can stick to. I have a gym set and a barbell, my 15 yo son is very much into his weight and fitness, so this workout might pique his interest as well. Who knows, I might even be able to coax my daughter into doing this too :-)

And a word for the women: I think many women are reluctant to train with free weights because it's kinda "male" and you would rather do yoga or cardio or use rubber bands etc., but this is a mistake! As the authors of the book point out specifically for women: you will not end up looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger if you do this training! You will "just" become more lean, more healthy, more confident, smarter and so on. Don't stop yourself just because the free weight section in a gym is often populated by idiot go

So glad you mentioned the Arnie thing, because that is the first thought that ran through my head when I read the thread! I really don't want to look pumped up to that extent!

Will order the book and report back once I've started. Thanks again!

I will check up the research on it now. Thanks, Laura.

Also, do yourself a favor and READ the book; it includes some serious, in-depth, scientific info that is NOT widely known and certainly will not be familiar to your osteopath.

A word for remembering to check ‘your hardware’ first. A visit to the chiropractor preceeding a sustained physical program could help prevent injuries.

For the specific "free-weight" (without machines) exercises in the book, it seems like this might be the best option, short of buying an expensive power rack cage:

41TzQzob57L.jpg

It can be bought for 60 euros on the web. The highest rack can be adjusted up to 180 cm and the lowest one down to 40 cm. It might do for the squats and the bench press, I think. Then one needs only the bench, the olympic barbell and some weight to begin with.

I'm ordering the book and would love to try this. I live on a small farm and do some lifting chores every day. My muscle strength is better than average for my age, 64 (according to my cardiologist) but my wrist joints and knees will flare up with wicked bone/ joint pain if I lift too much--especially the navicular area. The bones hyperextend when I lift too much. Basically my muscles can handle more load than my bones. I think gradually strengthening the tendons and ligaments around the joints would increase the bones carrying capacity and I would like to try, but I don't know if it can be done without injury to the joints. When I overdo it and the pain flares up I use ice, liniment wraps and wrist braces, along with NSAIDS to relieve the pain. I have to immobilize the joint for the pain to recede. Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation, and/or does the book address how to begin this workout with joint issues? Thanks and good luck to all of you doing this!

This is very interesting, I also read Drew Baye's book but lost the will to do 3 to 4 workouts a week as he recommends. Doing 1 a week for 15 mins seems too good to be true, but I've ordered the book and will test this protocol as well. I'm currently speaking to our property manager to see if I can renovated our apartment gym as it's missing some key equipment, basically it just needs a squat rack of sorts but for now I'll resort to lunges. Thanks for the thread.

It might do for the squats and the bench press, I think.
and dead-lifts. I usually do some dead lifts of no more than 60 to 80kg when I have lower back issues from sitting too much at work. It helps almost instantanously and the effect lasts for a few weeks.

Some preliminary thoughts after reading this thread on Body by Science and watching a few videos on YouTube on it: the concept of slow, gradual movement and the tremors after training really reminds me of NeuroPhysics Functional Performance. Here's a brief video:

Back to Body by Science: the 15 workout is a great concept and sounds promising. That the effects last for week, and the changes that come about, makes me excited to try it! My last proper workout was at least 2 months ago, so going to order the book and look into it more :read:

After spotting this thread a few days ago I have since bought and read the book, which I can't recommend enough. Much of the detailed science went over my head on the first read, but enough of the message hit home to leave me mourning the loss of some of my cherished 'exercise' preconceptions.. :shock: ('running doesn't count as exercise' anyone?!).
So, I have, this weekend, started the strength training programme recommended in the book, which I have to say was painful but satisfying.. This biggest problem I foresee is over-coming my 'training anxiety'..:-D

Thanks for the all info in this thread, I just bought the kindle version and will get onto it asap!

Sounds like this could be a vital part of the health protocols, especially considering what may be coming down the pike.
And as much I hate gyms and weights, this does seem to be something that can be done at home and as has been said already, it's only 15 minutes a week!!

So, I have, this weekend, started the strength training programme recommended in the book, which I have to say was painful but satisfying.. This biggest problem I foresee is over-coming my 'training anxiety'..:-D

From personal experience, I can tell you that the "training anxiety" goes away the more you perform the program. If you have certain body areas that you know they are weak, through to injury or any other reason, just start slow when you are working those out, and be careful in general. When I started, I would get dizzy at the end of performing some of the upper body exercises, which made me a bit worried whether I was not even supposed to do this kind of exercises. But as time went by, the dizzy spells lessened and if I get a brief one these days I know it is going to go away in seconds. I also know it probably means I haven't been breathing appropriately and I correct that as I continue. And as I mentioned earlier, doing the workout with another person is very helpful, if you can find anyone interested to try it out too, or just to be your aid.

I do the program even with my bunged up legs/knees. I'm just very slow and careful, use my hands to support the bad knee, and don't flex too far. I can still get leg exhaustion this way. And since we use a leg press where you lie on your back, there is no stress on the back itself.

When I started, I would get dizzy at the end of performing some of the upper body exercises, which made me a bit worried whether I was not even supposed to do this kind of exercises. But as time went by, the dizzy spells lessened and if I get a brief one these days I know it is going to go away in seconds.

This is actually one of the primary reasons to do this workout. It's short, it's hard core, it's gentle on the joints and other connective tissues because you're moving weight very slowly (F=ma), and so far it seems very effective for improving overall "structural rigidity and durability".

And if you get more toned muscles as a result, well, bonus!

Also, no matter what your ultimate personal goal is, keep in mind that the book says it will most likely take 2 years to reach maximum genetic muscular potential (which means Everything Else Potential, as well).

The #1 and #2 reasons people stop working out are:

1. But I don't wanna!
2. I'm not seeing the results promised!

So, you have to stick with it for at LEAST 6 months - and up to 2 years. I think he actually says some people won't notice big changes until after 6 months. But so far, we're all noticing some dramatic improvements in various areas even though no one looks like He-Man. :shock:

For those of you who don't want to use a smartphone app, I've attached my HIIT Tracker Excel spreadsheet. Just delete my numbers on Sheet 1 and replace them with your own. I left my numbers so you can see what the graphs look like (Sheets 2 and 3). Ooo! Aaah! Also, it gives an idea of the gains you can make fairly quickly. So, it's clearly working out better (HA!) for me than any other type of workout I've ever done - esp. considering it's only 15 minutes a week!

Follow the format, because the fields are restricted so you can't just type in the date however you want, for ex). You can also just enter pounds instead of kg if you want. It just graphs those numbers as they are. Lat Pull is stuck at 60kg because we don't have a better machine (yet!). Some people do pull-ups here, but I'm trying to do it as close to the photos in the book as I can - mostly because I'm a Form Nazi.
:cuckoo:

Attachments

• HIIT Tracker Excel.xlsx
    34.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
For those of you who don't want to use a smartphone app, I've attached my HIIT Tracker Excel spreadsheet. Just delete my numbers on Sheet 1 and replace them with your own. I left my numbers so you can see what the graphs look like (Sheets 2 and 3). Ooo! Aaah! Also, it gives an idea of the gains you can make fairly quickly. So, it's clearly working out better (HA!) for me than any other type of workout I've ever done - esp. considering it's only 15 minutes a week!

Thanks for sharing Scottie your excel spreadsheet for those of us who still don't have a smartphone and neither a dumbphone. :lol:

Really like the graphs and the statitician in me is very very happy.

By the way, I don't see anything on sheet 3.

Back
Top Bottom