Recurring dream

Konstantin

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
The last 2-3 months I am having a recurring dream.
The dream is about me going to school. Not as a child but as an adult and in that dream I am always in some kind of trouble.
I usually don't have a book or a pencil or some paper where I can write, or I don't know an answer to some question that the teacher asks.

Sometimes I don't have homework, or I am not in line with the material that the teacher is teaching to other students. or I have been absent from school for a long time and when I came back in there I can't understand anything because all the other students are way ahead of me with the material.

Last time I had this dream was a few days ago and in that dream, the professor came to me and he was looking me in the eyes and he was yelling at me something about why I haven't paid attention to some details on that class and he was pronouncing my name with every sentence.
Like, Konstantin why are you.....

And after each of this recurring dreams, I felt like I missed something, that I can't see the real picture of something.

In my real life when I was a kid I was one of the best students in the whole school.

Hi Konstantin,

If I may, I think the meaning of this dream is greatly dependent upon the feelings that accompany the events.

Do you feel anxious at the realization? And disappointed or sad perhaps at the scolding from the teacher? If so then perhaps a part of you feels like you’re missing something or not fully grasping something you think or know you should. Or you’re creating a pressure to keep up with something and fear that you’ll be judged for not keeping up with the rest, people you percieve as already grasping things. I know it’s a broad and general interpretation.

Or do you feel judged and unjustly punished? Perhaps you’re processing old events from a new knowledge of how things were and how they could’ve been, perhaps?

Hi Konstantin,
I do have school dreams from time to time. Usually I take it to be a representation of life in general. So maybe the various frustrations in these dreams a causes from you frustration/disappointment about something in your life? Just a thought.

In my real life when I was a kid I was one of the best students in the whole school.

That's exactly how I perceived you, like someone who was a very good student, responsible and conscientious.

IMO, the school is only a school while we are children, but during our life, we continue to associate "school" with learning, lifelong learning.

Perhaps such dreams show your subconscious fears that you think that you don't learn at the speed you want or think you should?

Amerisleep has been researching 2000 Americans who have discovered that returning to the school bench is one of the most recurring dreams.

_America's Most Common Recurring Dreams - Amerisleep Blog

The psychology here makes a lot of sense, considering that these dreams are about anxiety-provoking situations.

I think that we all sometime think that we don't learn at the speed that we think that we should. For me, returning the school is also one of the most recurring dream. And that is never pleasant experience.

Attachments

• amerisleep.png
    amerisleep.png
    308.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Sorry for the active link, I tried to change it to be inactive but still didn't work out.

Hi Konstantin,

If I may, I think the meaning of this dream is greatly dependent upon the feelings that accompany the events.

Do you feel anxious at the realization? And disappointed or sad perhaps at the scolding from the teacher? If so then perhaps a part of you feels like you’re missing something or not fully grasping something you think or know you should. Or you’re creating a pressure to keep up with something and fear that you’ll be judged for not keeping up with the rest, people you percieve as already grasping things. I know it’s a broad and general interpretation.

Or do you feel judged and unjustly punished? Perhaps you’re processing old events from a new knowledge of how things were and how they could’ve been, perhaps?
Yes, I feel anxious about the state that I am in the dream. About unable to catch up with the material, because I missed too much and I fear that I could not catch up with the other students.

If our dreams represent or reflect back to us our subconscious concerns and fears, then it follows that you want to keep up with the learning that is so necessary for progress (and from the perspective of growing, that's certainly good). Having said that, I think it would help if, during the waking hours, you spent a little time acknowledging to yourself those things you do get to learn and assimilate - along with acknowledging that you probably, also, have a lot of responsibilities that require your time and attention. In other words, while it is true that we are looking at a lot of different things, and trying to learn the lessons they hold for us, we also need to be realistic about what we can reasonably take on as we're trying to take care of the everyday basics which are also very important. And also crucial to our lessons.

And know, I'm saying this as much to myself as I am to you, Konstantin. I have 'the school dreams' from time to time too and still recall how relieved I was when someone else posted about it in one of the earliest posts to the forum.

Another thought on this is that there may be something very specific to look at that has been eluding you - since sometimes our lighthouses are focused on only some main areas of awareness - and get used to sticking to those out of habit. It reminds me of a dream I had a few years ago that was so intense, and so fraught with very specific symbolic meaning, that I couldn't not try and get to the bottom of it. It was almost as though my unconscious were saying, "Here -- let me help you out a bit, now have a look at THIS". Maybe something to try is to ask yourself just before going to sleep what thing or things you should be focused on learning in your life that you may have not been giving enough attention to - but now want to?

Yes, I feel anxious about the state that I am in the dream. About unable to catch up with the material, because I missed too much and I fear that I could not catch up with the other students.

What Ennio just pointed out and suggested is very spot on, unless there may be something you’re already aware of that frightens you Konstantin? Somewhere in your life you’re afraid to be left behind?

And mind you, this pressure and fear may be self generated by you passing judgement on yourself based on what you imagine others would think of you.

I don’t have much else to add to what the others have suggested above, it’s just the above made me chuckle because that’s how I feel about the forum and the Work!

Another thought on this is that there may be something very specific to look at that has been eluding you - since sometimes our lighthouses are focused on only some main areas of awareness - and get used to sticking to those out of habit.
I think you are right about this. One possible connection is that my awareness about specific health issue dropped and my lighthouse was totally out of focus so I made little problems for myself.
What Ennio just pointed out and suggested is very spot on, unless there may be something you’re already aware of that frightens you Konstantin? Somewhere in your life you’re afraid to be left behind?
A lot of things are going on and I am in front of a big decision and I can't see any good solution for it right now. I hope I will swim out of all this in the best possible way. One of the things is that I am looking to buy an apartment for me and my family but things are not going so smooth and it is frightening me.
Maybe my unconsciousness fears are much bigger than I am aware of.

It may be that the teacher in this dream is encouraging you to remember something important. You say you were a good student. I was a poor student, dissociated most of the time and I envied the "good" students for many years as they went on to have successful lives but now I realize that these are the students who went on to become our doctors, teachers, lawyers whilst probably the "genetic" doctors, teachers and lawyers work in the service industry or drop out as education etc becomes ponerized. Obedient and dumbed down wherever the Catholic church got its foot in, death and trauma would follow. The dream resonates with me too so maybe it's part projection but it could be an encouragement to think outside officially accepted norms, the teacher is making you uncomfortable so you want to break out? Have you consulted the I Ching about buying an apartment?

Dream says to me that you are having fear and anxiety, of not being prepared enough about something. Your posts in this thread make it seem like you usually over prepare compared to most. I have the habit of doing the same. The only advice I can give is after making good preparations for something, just have faith that everything will turn out better than you could have imagined, because the worry isn't fixing anything. Just have faith.

Right, and added to the directly above... perhaps the anxiety is the compounded result of feeling the difficulties of those big decisions and at the same time imagining that you ought to be doing better and feeling that others are paying attention and are looking down on you and judging you.

As in, maybe you feel you should know before you know, that is assuming this is the first apartment you purchase, but the reality is that... you can’t know before you know and part of learning (being in school) is precisely not knowing and learning through experiencing these things, particularly the inadequacy that we all have before we learn something, I hope this makes sense.

What I’m trying to say is perhaps that at some level you’re putting a bar that is unrealistically high on yourself based on what you think others will think of you, but you shouldn’t because it’s ok not to know and own it so to speak so that your learning won’t be impacted by the pressure of having to already know what you’re just about to learn, does that make sense?

And on another note, I truly hope you don’t have to swim out of these issues are you’re able to sail through them and that things fall into place in the best way possible for you and your family.

Hi Konastantin,

If it makes you feel better I've had that similar repeating dream throughout my adult lifetime. Basically, it goes like this--I've been to class only a few times then I have to take a test "that's all Greek to me." It's awful. My interpretation for myself is usually I am not doing enough work on myself--developing "higher level receiver" or doing enough work on myself. Although I always think this. It's one of my biggest struggles and motivations. Uggh.

Back
Top Bottom