Venezuela: Resistance or disintegration?

Lavrov just made an interesting statement that I think is directly related to all the stuff summarized in the posts below, essentially revealing that russia is building its own coalition of countries via the UN that will concretely oppose the US and their allies in Interventions, meddlings and "humanitarian wars" in other countries in the future; upholding international law and the UN-Charta and opposing those who do the opposite and have done so for decades without consequence. It very much looks like Russia has checkmated the empire step by step!!!

[...]
There is a very interesting development happening in Venezuela that I think might be related to the following post:

There is a significant development that went largely unnoticed in the press during Putins recent visited to China. Putin and Xi Jinping released a joint signed statement in which both countries promised and set themself the goal of reforming the UN and thereby essentially stopping the actions of certain countries without an UN-Mandate. For way to long certain countries bluntly ignored the rules of the UN-Charta by interfering in other countries against all rules of the UN and started war after war also in defiance of those rules.

We all know that russia pointed those things out again and again the last two decades so clearly and consistently as no other country has, which has a significant position in the world.

I would go as far as to say that China committing itself now so openly together with russia to essentially stop all those illegal interventions in a step by step fashion, through reforms at the UN, is a huge step forward for the world! I think the times that wars like in Afghanistan, Irak or Libya can be pulled of as easily as in the past, will be gone sooner or later, (and that might already have happened, thanks to the efforts of russia) if both parties stick to it and maybe pull in more countries into that initiative. That development might also include interventions in other countries that are done "in secret" which will get harder and harder to be pulled of. Or at least we can hope so.

Seems like Putins team has worked hard to get to a point that they eventually can implement the already existing rules that the UN provides in a way that everyone has to abide by without exception in the future. That might still be quite a way ahead though, but still it seems it develops into that direction.

I hope other countries will join China and Russia in their efforts as soon as possible. As far out as it might sound, what we see here maybe could lead to something like world peace in the future.

Here is the only article in english that I could find that mentions some of the points of that agreement:

Russia, China to jointly support reasonable UN reforms - statement

BEIJING, June 8. /TASS/. Moscow and Beijing will jointly support the necessary and reasonable reforms of the United Nations, including its Security Council, according to the two countries’ statement signed by Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping following Russian-Chinese talks.

According to the statement, the parties will uphold the UN’s pivotal role in global governance and jointly support the necessary and reasonable reforms of the organization and its Security Council "in order to better comply with the UN Charter." Moscow and Beijing believe it is necessary to discuss these reforms "solely through broad and democratic consultations, without imposing artificial time limits and immature projects." Russia and China believe it is necessary to look for a "package" solution taking into account the interests and concerns of all parties; proceed from the premise that the reform of the UN Security Council, should, first of all, expand the representation of the developing countries and their right to vote to make sure that a wide range of small and medium-sized states have more opportunities to take part in the Security Council’s work and the decision-making process on the basis of the principle of rotation."

In their joint statement, Vladimir Putin and Xi Xinping highlighted their intention "to counteract attempts by any countries to unilaterally conduct military operations without the authorization of the UN Security Council or without the consent of the legitimate government of a country on whose territory such actions are carried out." Russia and China will also take part in shaping the equal and indivisible security architecture "based on the refusal to use force or the threat of the use of force, non-interference in the internal and external affairs of other countries, the resolution of international disputes by purely political and diplomatic means."

After Russia, China has now send military personnel to Venezuela too, which is quite a remarkable step for china that used to not commit itself and "stay out of the fringe" in regards to the empire and its doings worldwide. I think this might mark a game changer event and is derectly related to the above quote. China seems to slowly cover the back of russia and also help, not only verbally, to stop the US nonsense.

I think we will see similar stuff in the future every time the empire tries another coup or military aggression in a country. The times that the empire could do all of that are pretty much over I think.

I think the main driver behind those developments is the russian government headed by Putin. They seem to have learned a lot in the last years about the strategies the empire uses to conduct its business in other countries and how to stop it in its tracks. I further think that they are now starting to aid other countries via knowledge of how the empire operates so that they can help themselves in that regard and not fall prey to the empire and its follies.

In this german article it is pointed out that the Venezuelan government already started heavy buying of chinese and russian military stuff between 2010 and 2014 for 349 Million Dollar. In 2017 this was than topped by heavy investment in Chinese and Russian "tanks, ammunition, uniforms, infantry equipment as well as spare and service parts".

I think the empire is finding itself in a desperate situation now where it just can't do a darn thing anymore, as it was used to do in the past. I think they have been outmaneuvered mainly by the russians. They just can't do anything anymore that just "worked" in the past.

Amazing to watch.

I don't know "why" Trump keeps playing into Pompeo's and Bolton's hands ... and doing Pence's dirty work? In doing so - he's the one that's coming off - looking like a jerk!? Is Trump's game plan ... to expose the Deep State operatives (Pence, Bolton & Pompeo) while they are incriminating themselves (disregarding International and our Constitutional laws) "in front of the World" - so that they will eventually face criminal prosecution of war crimes in front of a Military Tribunal? With that, the ICC comes to mind - who were recently denied visa's into the US to further investigate Afghanistan war crimes by the Military. That investigation is still pending but with Venezuela, the crimes are being committed and orchestrated "out in the open". All the recent Sanctions and freezing assets are in essence, a Political tool that eventually filters down to the domestic level, with the Citizens - paying for the retribution. It's more then a Human Rights violation.

I would really like that but I have to say I've completely given up on Trump at this stage. If the coup had worked out a lot of people would have died as a result. That blood would have been on Trump's hands. He's one of them now.

I've recently been binge watching Jim Clemente videos on YouTube and in one of them he said something about Jodi Arias that applies to Trump as well: she's intelligent but she has a huge ego. And ego will always get in the way of intelligence. Trump's ego is HUMONGOUS so whatever arguments they used to lure him into the swamp were probably ego hooks IMO.

I actually wonder whether the Mueller report was a present from the Deep State for good behaviour. Maybe the swamp dwellers decided to rehabilitate their puppet by killing their main narrative against him? It's counterproductive to smear their own.

Or how about simply telling him that the economy relies on war, you cannot help your fellow Americans without sacrificing other countries. Alex Krainer wrote a brilliant article on his blog that describes the deflationary gap and the economy of war very well. Maybe Trump agreed with their argument that war is the only way to help his own people? It certainly isn't the only way but maybe he just didn't see a better solution given everything and everyone he's up against. And without knowledge of clinical psychopathy Trump isn't exactly well-equipped to see through their manipulations of his own ego.

Dunno. I'm certainly not the best person to assess Trump's or the Deep State's thinking patterns.

Here's Alex Krainer's article in case anyone is interested:

Although I studied economics at the university, I don’t recall coming across the subject of deflationary gap. The textbooks I still have don’t mention it, and a search on the internet yielded close to nothing on the subject. Wikipedia doesn’t even have an entry for deflationary gap. Answers.com provides a single vague sentence about it.

That’s strange, for we’re talking about a systemic flaw of the capitalist economic system that predictably corrodes the democratic framework of the society and leads to the rise of fascism and military conflagration. In his book “Tragedy and Hope,” (by far the most fascinating history book I’ve ever read – for an introduction, check this link) Carrol Quigley devotes much space to deflationary gap as he meticulously traces the events leading to last century’s two world wars. He considers the deflationary gap as “the key to twentieth century economic crisis and one of the three central cores of the whole tragedy of the twentieth century”.

The subject of analysis is a closed economic system, in which the sum total of goods and services appearing in the market equals the income of the system and the aggregate cost of producing the goods and services. The sums expended by the businesses on wages, rents, salaries, raw materials, interest, lawyers’ fees, and so on, represent income to those who receive them. The profits are entrepreneur’s income and his incentive to produce the wealth in question. The goods are offered for sale at a price which is equal to the sum of all costs and profits. On the whole, aggregate costs, aggregate incomes and aggregate prices are the same, since they represent the opposite sides of the same expenditures.

However, the purchasing power available in the system is reduced by the amount of savings. If there are any savings, the available purchasing power will be less than the aggregate asking prices by the amount of the savings, and all the goods and services produced cannot be sold as long as savings are held back. In order for all the goods to be sold, savings must reappear in the market as purchasing power.

Normally, this is done through investment. But whenever investment is less than savings, purchasing power will fall short of the amount needed to buy the goods being offered. This shortfall of purchasing power in the system, the excess of savings over investment, is the deflationary gap.

Methods of bridging the deflationary gap
The deflationary gap can be closed either by lowering the supply of goods or by raising the supply of purchasing power, or by a combination of both methods. The first solution will stabilize the economic system on a low level of economic activity. The second will stabilize it on a high level of economic activity. Left to itself, a modern economic system would adopt the former alternative, resulting in a deflationary spiral: the deflationary gap would lead to falling prices, declining economic activity, rising unemployment, and a fall of national income. In turn, this would cause a decline in the volume of savings, until savings reached the level of investment, at which point the economy becomes stabilized at a low level of activity.

This process was not allowed to unfold in any industrialized country during the great depression of 1929-1934 because the disparity in the distribution of income between the rich and the poor was so great that it would cause a considerable portion of the population to be driven to absolute poverty before the savings of the richer segment of the population could decline to the level of investment. Moreover, as the depression deepened, the level of investment declined even more rapidly than the level of savings. To avert social uprisings, governments of all industrial nations attempted to generate a recovery through two kinds of measures: (a) those which destroy goods and (b) those which produce goods which do not enter the market.

Averting depression through destruction of goods
The destruction of goods will close the deflationary gap by reducing the supply of unsold goods. While this is not generally recognized, this method is one of the chief ways in which the gap is closed in a normal business cycle. In such a cycle, goods are destroyed by the simple expedient of underutilizing the system’s production capacities. The failure to use the economic system at the 1929 level of output during the years 1930-1934 represented a loss of goods worth $100,000,000,000 in the United States, Britain, and Germany alone. This loss was equivalent to the destruction of such goods.

Destruction of goods by failure to gather the harvest because the selling price is too low is a common phenomenon under modern conditions, especially in respect to fruit and vegetable crops. While the outright destruction of goods already produced is not common, it has occurred in the depression years 1930-1934: stores of coffee, sugar, and bananas were destroyed, corn was plowed under, and young livestock was slaughtered to reduce the supply on the market. The destruction of goods in warfare is another example of this method of overcoming deflationary conditions in the economic system.

Producing goods that don’t enter the market
The second method of bridging the deflationary gap, by producing goods which do not enter the market, supplies purchasing power in the market (the costs of production of such goods enter the market as purchasing power), while the goods themselves do not drain funds from the system, as they are not offered for sale. New investment would be the natural means to accomplish this, but modern economic systems in depression do not function this way. Rather, private investment tends to decline considerably. Alternatively, purchasing power must be supplied to the system through government spending. Unfortunately, any program of public spending quickly leads to the problem of public debt and inflation, which tends to compound the problems rather than solving them.

War: the irresistible solution
Approaches to public spending as a method of financing an economic recovery can vary depending on its objectives. Spending for destruction of goods or for restriction of output, as under the early New Deal agricultural program is hard to implement in a democratic country, because it obviously results in a decline in national income and living standards. Spending for nonproductive monuments or prestige projects like space programs is somewhat easier to justify but is not a long-term solution. The best approach, obviously is investing in productive capital goods, since it leads to an increase in national wealth and standards of living and constitutes a long-run solution.

Unfortunately, this approach runs into ideological head-winds in modern economies as it constitutes a permanent departure from the system of private capitalism. As such, it is easily attacked in a country with a capitalistic ideology and a private banking system. Instead, developed nations tend to favor the most dangerous method of bridging the deflationary gap: spending on armaments and national defense.

The appeal of this method is always rooted in political and ideological grounds. Military spending tends to help heavy industry directly and immediately. Heavy industry suffers earliest and most drastically in a depression, which absorbs manpower most readily (thus reducing unemployment). This tends to make it very influential in most countries. Defense-related spending is also easily justified to the public on grounds of national security.

But increasing defense spending enhances the political clout of the military-industrial complex and tends increase a nation’s reliance on the military in the conduct of its foreign policy and an escalation of conflict which leads to further increases in military spending. The vicious cycle ultimately results in the emergence of fascism: the adoption by the vested interests in a society of an authoritarian form of government in order to maintain their vested interests and prevent the reform of the society.

In the last century in Europe, the vested interests usually sought to prevent the reform of the economic system (a reform whose need was made evident by the long-drawn depression) by adopting an economic program whose chief element was the effort to fill the deflationary gap by rearmament.

Quigley’s analysis, based on the historical developments in the aftermath of the economic depression of the early 1930’s closely parallels today’s events. The economic crises which germinated from the same systemic feature present in the modern economic system, followed a similar pattern in economic and political developments that we are witnessing today.

Military spending skyrockets...

In the last century, we have seen these developments lead to two world wars, the second of which included the (entirely justified, of course) use of nuclear weapons. Today, as we seem to be heading in the same direction, the question is: do we even know how to arrest this escalation of armed conflicts? If the most trigger-happy actor in this drama is a nobel peace-prize laureate (sorry, I can’t bring myself to capitalize “nobel peace prize”), I fear we have little grounds for optimism.

Nevertheless, if there should be any hope for humanity to avert further conflagration, a better informed, truthful debate just might lead the way to the needed economic and political reforms.

Yeap,

I kind of reached a similar conclusion regarding Trump, he’s turned into part of the swamp everyone thought he meant when he said he’d drain said swamp.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that everyone in Washington is supportive of his position on Venezuela, even if they’ve been criticizing his every move for the past 2 years. I find the timing of the Muller investigation ending and this venezuela ramping up, curious.

Russian and US positions on Venezuelan Crisis are Incompatible - Lavrov
Russian and US Positions on Venezuelan Crisis are Incompatible - Lavrov

On Wednesday, the Russian foreign minister spoke to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, telling the top US diplomat that Washington's interference in Venezuela's affairs was a destructive approach fraught with "the most serious consequences."

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov urged the United States to refrain from returning to the imperious 'Monroe Doctrine' in its relations with Venezuela, and indicated that while the Russian and US positions on the crisis in the Latin American country remain incompatible, dialogue must continue.

"We agreed to maintain contacts, including on Venezuela, but I don't see a way to reconcile our positions — ours, on the one hand, which is based on the UN Charter and the principles and norms of international law, and that of the United States, on the other, in which Washington assigns the acting president of another country," Lavrov said, speaking to reporters in Tashkent, Uzbekistan on Thursday.

"Our positions are incompatible, but we are ready to talk," Lavrov stressed.

According to the foreign minister, during their conversation Wednesday, he told Pompeo that the return of the Monroe Doctrine approach to US foreign policy was a sign of disrespect to the people of Venezuela and Latin America as a whole.

Commenting on the possibility of a US military intervention of Venezuela, Lavrov said that Russia plans to create a bloc of countries to counter such plans. This group is already being formed at the UN, he indicated. "I hope that it will receive serious support from the organisation, because we're talking about a very simple issue — one that's hard to distort: the defence of the fundamental norms and principles of international law as they are defined in the UN Charter."

Maduro Never Had Plans to 'Flee' Venezuela
Lavrov noted that earlier claims by Secretary of State Pompeo about Maduro's supposed plans to escape the country and Russia's efforts to dissuade him from doing so were simply not true. "If one were to review everything that officials in the US administration say about Venezuela, an endless series of questions would arise. And all of these questions, as a rule, have one and the same answer. Putting it diplomatically: this is not true," Lavrov said.

Asked why Secretary of State Pompeo may have called him in the first place, Lavrov said that as he understood it, "he called so that he could later say publicly that he called me and urged Russia not to interfere. Well, he did so." At the same time, Lavrov indicated that Russia does not interfere in Venezuela's internal affairs, calling Pompeo's allegations to that effect "rather surreal."

"I told him that based on our principled position, we never interfere in the affairs of others, and urge others to do the same," Lavrov said.

Lavrov and Pompeo spoke by telephone by Wednesday, a day after Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido announced the beginning of the "final phase" in the opposition's bid to seize power in the Latin American country. Before the talks, Pompeo told US media that the US could still US military force against the country "if that's what's required."

Venezuela Court Issues Arrest Warrant for Opposition Politician Leopoldo Lopez
Earlier, Spanish Foreign Minister Josep Borrell said that Venezuelan opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez had not applied for asylum. Lopez took refuge in the Spanish embassy in Caracas after fleeing house arrest.

The Supreme Court of Venezuela has issued an arrest warrant for opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez, a statement released on the court's Twitter says.

In 2015, Lopez was sentenced to 14 years in prison for having a role in the 2014 violent protests, which claimed the lives of over 40 people. Since summer 2017, he was held under house arrest.

On Tuesday, Lopez escaped house arrest with the help of another Venezuelan opposition politician Juan Guaido, who had earlier illegally proclaimed himself the country's president. After escaping from house arrest, Lopez with his family first took refuge in the Chilean embassy in Caracas. Later they moved on to the Spanish ambassador's residence in the Venezuelan capital.

Brazil backs Venezuela opposition leader Guaido's push to overthrow Maduro: minister
Brazil's Foreign Relations Minister Ernesto Araujo said on Tuesday that his country supports a democratic transition in Venezuela, where opposition leader Juan Guaido hours before said he had begun the "final phase" of his plan to oust President Nicolas Maduro.

Brazil's Vice President doesn't share the same views on Venezuela as Bolsonaeo. Might be why Bolsonaro's Son's disrespect him and cause Mourao problems?

Brazil vice president: Guaido's attempted uprising not a good idea
FILE PHOTO: Brazil's Vice President Hamilton Mourao looks on near Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro during an award ceremony for the Order of Military Judicial Merit, in Brasilia, Brazil March 28, 2019. REUTERS/Ueslei Marcelino/File Photo

Brazil's Vice President Hamilton Mourao said on Thursday that Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido's attempt to oust Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro, in retrospect, was not the best decision.

His view contrasts with President Jair Bolsonaro, who said on Wednesday that the unsuccessful uprising called by Guaido was not a defeat and that the Brazilian government had information on cracks in the Venezuelan military that could still lead to the collapse of Maduro’s leftist government. Bolsonaro’s security adviser said on Tuesday that military support for Guaido appeared to be weak.

Round Two?
Russian, U.S. top diplomats to meet on May 6 in Finland: RIA
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov may meet U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on May 6 in Finland, RIA news agency reported on Thursday citing a Russian official.

Sergei Ryabkov, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister, said Lavrov may meet Pompeo in the city of Rovaniemi, which would host Arctic Council ministerial meeting, RIA reported.

Canada’s top diplomat urges Venezuelan President Maduro to resign from his post
Canada urges Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro to resign from his post in order to restore democracy in the country and hold "free and fair elections," Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said in a video statement posted on her Twitter account.

"Brave Venezuelans are today in the streets of their cities fighting for a return to the democracy and the Constitutional order," the Canadian top diplomat stated. "I would like to say to all the people of Venezuela: Canada stands with you."

"And I would like to say to the illegitimate Maduro regime and its supporters - it is time to step aside and allow Venezuela to return to democracy, allow Venezuela to return to the Constitutional order and allow free and fair elections," Freeland added.

President Maduro says ready to adopt plan of changes to Venezuela’s administration
"I want to adopt a plan to change and improve everything, to correct mistakes," Maduro added

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro

"I declare Saturday, May 4, and Sunday, May 5, the days of the great national dialogue, actions and proposals of all representatives of the people’s authority, so that they would tell the Bolivarian government and Nicolas Maduro what is necessary to be changed," the Venezuelan president stated.

"I want to adopt a plan to change and improve everything, to correct mistakes," Maduro added.

National Assembly’s deputy from the state of Miranda Manuela Bolivar stated on Wednesday night that at least 78 people were injured in clashes with law enforcers during anti-government protests in the Venezuelan capital of Caracas and 89 more were arrested.

Venezuelan Minister of Defense Vladimir Padrino Lopez wrote on his Twitter account on Wednesday that at least eight law enforcers were wounded in clashes with protesters.

Venezuelan opposition leader Guaido says young protester killed in anti-government rallies
"The dictatorship murdered a 24-year-old young man, who was expressing his wish to live in freedom," Guaido wrote in his Twitter account.

Efecto Cocuyo news web portal reported that the young man, who was taking part in anti-government protests, was killed on April 30. According to witnesses, he was killed by armed pro-government groups.

Here is a slightly different (and probably optimistic) take on the "attempted coup" that recently transpired:
https://www.moonofalabama.org/2019/05/venezuela-guaidó-got-snookered-white-house-starts-beating-war-drums.html
Venezuela - Guaidó Got Snookered - White House Starts Beating War Drums
Yesterday's failed coup attempt in Venezuela significantly hurt the Trump administration's international standing. It delegitimized its Venezuelan clients Juan Guaidó and Leopoldo López. After recognizing that their original 'regime change' plan failed (again) the White House starts to beat the war drums.
That wasn't the plan:
The Trump administration, which has backed Mr. Guaidó since he first challenged Mr. Maduro’s authority more than three months ago, clearly thought the day would unfold differently.
There is no official explanation why the Trump administration believed that the comical coup attempt by Juan Guaidó and his master Leopolo López would work.
There are signs though that the government of President Nicolas Maduro set a trap. Several people in the top echelon of the Venezuelan government gave false promises that they would join the U.S. proxy side. They snookered Guaidó into launching his coup to let him fail.

The rest of the article (and some lively discussion in the comments) at the link.

I think the scenario described above could be plausible, given Russia is also on Maduro's side. If true, it would have been a good way of "weeding out" agents within Maduro's government and the military and preparing for continued US intervention in the country.

I don't know "why" Trump keeps playing into Pompeo's and Bolton's hands ... and doing Pence's dirty work? In doing so - he's the one that's coming off - looking like a jerk!? Is Trump's game plan ... to expose the Deep State operatives (Pence, Bolton & Pompeo) while they are incriminating themselves (disregarding International and our Constitutional laws) "in front of the World" - so that they will eventually face criminal prosecution of war crimes in front of a Military Tribunal? With that, the ICC comes to mind - who were recently denied visa's into the US to further investigate Afghanistan war crimes by the Military. That investigation is still pending but with Venezuela, the crimes are being committed and orchestrated "out in the open". All the recent Sanctions and freezing assets are in essence, a Political tool that eventually filters down to the domestic level, with the Citizens - paying for the retribution. It's more then a Human Rights violation.
I would really like that but I have to say I've completely given up on Trump at this stage. If the coup had worked out a lot of people would have died as a result. That blood would have been on Trump's hands. He's one of them now.
I kind of reached a similar conclusion regarding Trump, he’s turned into part of the swamp everyone thought he meant when he said he’d drain said swamp.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that everyone in Washington is supportive of his position on Venezuela, even if they’ve been criticizing his every move for the past 2 years. I find the timing of the Muller investigation ending and this venezuela ramping up, curious.
Anyway, one reason I think Trump is saying all that is that he is being fed the info directly from his advisers Pompeo, Bolton, Pence, etc. And those guys have reached the point that they believe their own lies. I imagine that on Tuesday they thought 'We just need a little spark and the whole thing will go up in flames!' But no - that didn't happen because the actual majority of Venezuelans, as well as most of the Army, are still with Maduro. And then the psychos in Washington were probably left scratching their heads, wondering what went wrong.

I think here's an interesting view on what you've been discussing:

The article by MoA is also very interesting:

The larger Latin America strategy behind the 'regime change' attempt in Venezuela necessitates an escalation:
The removal of Maduro was supposed to be the precursor of a domino effect that would later tumble the dictatorships in Cuba and Nicaragua.
Current and former officials acknowledge that a failed uprising would cripple the opposition and undermine the administration’s top priority in the hemisphere.
“It’s now or never,” a senior administration official said. “Everyone realizes it both on the U.S. side and the Venezuela side. How ugly this gets remains to be seen. But everyone sees this as the final frontier to bring down Maduro.”
The plan to use economic pressure, loud bluster and a hapless crony to unseat the Venezuelan government can no longer be valid:
“The entire episode should lead to a round of reflection within the opposition and their supporters in the U.S. government regarding how to address this crisis,” [David Smilde, a Tulane University professor and expert on Venezuela,] said. “It is clear the pressure-collapse scenario they have been working with has run its course.”
With the situation on the ground still uncertain, Trump’s top national security aides, including Pompeo, national security adviser John Bolton and acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan, who canceled a trip to Europe to work on Venezuela, huddled at the White House to discuss possible options.
The administration is somewhat split about which direction to take. The neoconservative hawks - Bolton, Pompeo, Abrams and Rubio - are looking for war, while their boss and the Pentagon are against launching one. Trump wants the votes of the millions of Cuba hawks in Florida, but he has no interest in launching a long war. The Pentagon knows that an invasion of Venezuela would lead to another decades long struggle:
Trump has shown little willingness to plunge into Venezuela, according to current and former aides, ...
The president has occasionally mused to others that Bolton wants to get him into wars. Two advisers who have discussed Venezuela with him said Trump often brings up Florida politics, and his golf club in Doral, when talking about the subject. Both said Trump was unlikely to authorize any sort of long-term military action there.
At the same time, however, aides said he has given Bolton wide purview over Venezuela
Giving Bolton purview over anything is a mistake. He is a vicious and ruthless bureaucrat who knows how to get his way. Bolton is pressing the Pentagon for military options:
As he has pushed for a more aggressive policy, Bolton has angered some within and outside the White House. Even before Tuesday’s events, his staff clashed with Gen. Paul Selva, Dunford’s vice chairman, during a meeting to address the ongoing Venezuelan crisis, according to several officials with knowledge of the exchange.
The soft-spoken Air Force general was giving an update last week on the Pentagon’s view and making the case against a risky escalation by the United States when Bolton aides, including Mauricio Claver-Carone, Western Hemisphere director at the National Security Council, repeatedly interrupted and asked for military options, according to the officials.
A senior administration official said Bolton’s staff was dissatisfied with Selva, who they felt had not presented sufficient military options for Venezuela as expected. Selva, according to people familiar with the interaction, believed the confrontational style of Bolton’s staff was out of line.
[...]

Unfortunately Bolton is now in a position where he has much control over Trump:
Aides have found that detailed briefings provoke [Trump's] impatience; graphics and bullet points work better, and relatable photographs better still. “Bolton gets to the point very fast,” a senior Administration official told me. “He’s very brief, and the President appreciates that.” Groombridge, the former aide, said, “John is thinking, To the extent I can modify or mollify the President’s actions, I will. He is truly a patriot. But I wonder how he goes into work every day, because deep in his heart he believes the President is a moron.”
With Trump’s national-security team depleted—no permanent Secretary of Defense, no Secretary of Homeland Security, no Ambassador to the United Nations—Bolton would have extraordinary latitude in a crisis. “John understands that you have to get the elected leader the approval of the audience that matters,” Hundt said. “As long as Trump’s base is still applauding, then Bolton can do whatever he wants.”
For Bolton, it is ultimately a question of sovereignty. “The Monroe Doctrine is alive and well,” he said. “It’s our hemisphere.” The doctrine, he noted, was a prohibition against outside powers interceding in Latin America. “That doesn’t mean armed force,” he said. “That’s the Roosevelt Corollary. I haven’t invoked that—yet.” But, he argued, as he has innumerable times in the past thirty years, “all options are on the table.”
[...]

It seems clear that John Bolton, the Stache as Pat Lang christened him, will wage war on Venezuela if he sees no other way to get the Chavistas out of the way and its oil under U.S. control.

Trump already recognizes that Bolton is pushing him into that direction. Tuesday's failed coup episode hopefully taught him that the plans, promises and claims Bolton makes, are prone to fail and to lead to embarrassment.

The American people do not want another war. All Latin-American countries are against launching one. There will be resistance in both parties against waging war. Unlike Joe Biden some Democrats are - at least for now - against an intervention:
Those options should not include the U.S. military, said Rep. Eliot Engel, a New York Democrat who is chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee and was briefed by Pompeo and Bolton on the situation.
Engel, who recently visited Venezuelan refugees on the Colombia border and believes Maduro should go, said Congress has too often gone along with military adventures abroad. “I think the days when the United States can intervene and send in the Marines are over and should be over,” he said.
Engel is not alone:
New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez, the senior Democrat of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, urged caution and said events Tuesday suggested the desired outcome might not be achievable in the short term. He warned military intervention could be counterproductive, an opinion shared by regional allies.
“It would be a huge mistake for the Trump administration to miscalculate and undermine this burgeoning democratic movement with a military intervention involving U.S. troops.”
Trump's best option is to simply put the issue aside. There are enough other issues he can bluster about. But he must also order his aides, and the CIA, to leave Venezuela alone. He might otherwise wake up and be told that Venezuela sunk the Maine or that Maduro attacked U.S. war ships in the Caribbean Sea. Bolton will have no qualms about creating such a stunt.

He is a dangerous man and should be fired.

I think it's possible that Trump could be likely to make rash and thoughtless decisions based on false intelligence provided by Bolton and the other hawks, but I also think that many in the US know that direct war ins't an option that would actually benefit them, as has been said here previously. So, I don't know... I guess we'll have to wait and see as usual.

From the MoA article:

Aides have found that detailed briefings provoke [Trump's] impatience; graphics and bullet points work better, and relatable photographs better still. “Bolton gets to the point very fast,” a senior Administration official told me. “He’s very brief, and the President appreciates that.” Groombridge, the former aide, said, “John is thinking, To the extent I can modify or mollify the President’s actions, I will. He is truly a patriot. But I wonder how he goes into work every day, because deep in his heart he believes the President is a moron.”

That totally rings true to me, and that's what Poutry described in The Secret Team. The CIA comes up with a massive report on a certain country, knowing in advance that the president will only read the conclusions and the CIA recommendations at the end and make a decision based on that. Pretty easy to manipulate an elected official that way - especially one like Trump who is all words and action but no deep, detailed thought, and who on top of that thinks he is a genius. :rolleyes: You know the Wormtongue character from Lord of the Rings? That's Bolton - and Pompeo and Pence.

For Bolton, it is ultimately a question of sovereignty. “The Monroe Doctrine is alive and well,” he said. “It’s our hemisphere.” The doctrine, he noted, was a prohibition against outside powers interceding in Latin America. “That doesn’t mean armed force,” he said. “That’s the Roosevelt Corollary. I haven’t invoked that—yet.” But, he argued, as he has innumerable times in the past thirty years, “all options are on the table.”

There you go, Bolton incarnates the psychopathy of the US Empire. No news here though. The only reason there hasn't been a military intervention yet is because Trump thinks it's too much of a hassle and too costly. Lets hope he sticks to that view.

Translated from Russian by Microsoft
Putin and Trump have had a phone conversation lasting more than an hour A telephone conversation between the presidents of Russia and the United States, Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump, took place on the initiative of the American side, the Kremlin press service said. ... Путин и Трамп провели телефонный разговор длительностью более часа

updated at: May 03, 20:00 UTC+3
The conversation lasted for almost 1.5 hours
WASHINGTON, May 3. /TASS/. Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump have held negotiations over the phone, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders stated on Friday during a press briefing.

Sanders informed that the two leaders had discussed the outcomes of the investigation by US Special Counsel Robert Mueller, the situation in Venezuela and North Korea, as well as the prospects of prolonging the New START and signing a new nuclear disarmament treaty between Russia, the US and China. "They [Putin and Trump] discussed a nuclear agreement, both new and extended, and the possibility of having conversations with China on that as well," she stated.

The White House press secretary hailed the phone call as "overall positive". "They also talked about North Korea. They also spoke about Ukraine and Venezuela - an overall positive conversation," Sanders said, adding that the leaders have noted an increased level of trade between Russia and the USA.

Trump has held a phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin, in which he stressed the need for a peaceful transition of power in Venezuela, Sarah Sanders stated.

"The President reiterated the need for a peaceful transition (of power in Venezuela - TASS) and his focus throughout the conversation was on the need to help the people and make sure that the aid was actually getting to them and being delivered," Sanders told reporters.
Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov has confirmed the White House statements on the conversation between the two leaders. "The conversation between Trump and Putin lasted for almost 1.5 hours," Peskov said.

Putin and Trump have confirmed their willingness to activate dialogue in various spheres, including strategic stability, during a phone call held on Friday. The leaders also discussed the issues of bilateral relations, paying special attention to economic cooperation, the Kremlin press service informs.

"At the initiative of the US side, an extended phone call has been held between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump," the press service stated, adding that the presidents have discussed "the current state and prospects of bilateral relations with a focus on economic cooperation". "The presidents have confirmed their mutual commitment to activate dialogue in various spheres, including on the issues of strategic stability," the message added.

This phone call is the first contact between Putin and Trump after the G20 summit, held in Argentina in December 2018. Back then, Trump cancelled a planned separate meeting with Putin, and the leaders had a short conversation on the sidelines of the forum.

In early 2019, Trump announced the US’ exit from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty. On February 2, Kremlin suspended its participation in the treaty as well. Putin instructed Russia’s foreign and defense ministers not to initiate any contacts with Washington on this matter due to the US’ unwillingness to discuss the issues of strategic stability.

Edit add:

Last edited:
Just in Commentary by South Front:
There you go, Bolton incarnates the psychopathy of the US Empire. No news here though. The only reason there hasn't been a military intervention yet is because Trump thinks it's too much of a hassle and too costly. Lets hope he sticks to that view.

As if the situation wasn't tense enough, those two-gangs- idiots get into a fight.
... Apparently, I still suspect what could have really happened there.

-http://www.el-nacional.com/noticias/sucesos/una-mujer-resulto-herida-durante-tiroteo-frontera-colombo-venezolana_281304 said:
A woman was wounded during a gunfight on the Colombian-Venezuelan border
Immigration Colombia reported that criminal gangs exchanged gunfire for dispute under the international bridge Simón Bolívar

A woman was wounded in the back by a stray bullet during a shooting that took place this Friday afternoon in the vicinity of the Simón Bolívar international bridge, reported Christian Krüguer, director of Migration Colombia.

"We found that a group of smugglers who dispute one of the roads connecting Colombia with Venezuela generated a gunfight in which a woman was injured. The woman is already being treated at a hospital in Cúcuta," Krüguer said on Twitter.

Citizens located on the Simón Bolívar international bridge, which connects Venezuela's border with Colombia, reported gunfire from the trail, an alternate route to cross into Colombian territory, on Friday afternoon.

In several videos broadcast on social networks, Colombian people and security personnel are appreciated guarded on the ground and behind the fences located on the bridge by the sound of gunshots.

Bárbara Uzcátegui, correspondent for El Nacional in Cúcuta, reported on the presence of armed collectives that execute the bursts of gunfire on the trail called La Playita, which is located under the bridge.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Venezuela Court Issues Arrest Warrant for Opposition Politician Leopoldo Lopez
Earlier, Spanish Foreign Minister Josep Borrell said that Venezuelan opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez had not applied for asylum. Lopez took refuge in the Spanish embassy in Caracas after fleeing house arrest.

I'm a little confused on an issue - I'm reading reports that it was actually Opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez - that the US wanted to replace Maduro with ... and not Guaido? And now the plan is (up until recently) when Maduro is ousted and replaced with Guaido, Guaido's position will only be temporary because Lopez is the one they really want in the Presidential seat? How stupid - is that? But as of now, Lopez broke House-arrest to join the protests and an arrest Warrant has been issued on him? Neither Guaido or Lopez have any brains? Both are being played by the US ... and played against each other? That's total ... STUPIDITY!

Putin not looking to get involved in Venezuela, says Trump
Russia only wants to see a positive outcome of the current events in the country, he concluded.

Russia does not plan to get involved in the situation in Venezuela, and only wants to see a positive outcome of the current events in the country, US President Donald Trump stated on the outcomes of the phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"Venezuela was one of the topics [of discussion]. And he [Putin] is not looking at all to get involved in Venezuela other than he’d like to see something positive happen for Venezuela, and I feel the same way," Trump noted.

"We want to get some humanitarian aid right now," Trump said. "I thought it was a very positive conversation I’ve had with President Putin on Venezuela," he concluded.

Spain will not allow its Venezuela embassy to become center of political activity
Spain will not allow its Venezuela embassy to become centre of...
FILE PHOTO: Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez talks to the media at the residence of the Spanish ambassador in Caracas, Venezuela May 2, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Garcia Rawlins/File Photo
Spain will not allow its embassy in Caracas to be used as a political center for opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez, acting Foreign Minister Josep Borrell said in Lebanon on Friday.

Venezuela opposition figure, facing arrest warrant, says he met with generals
Venezuelan opposition politician Leopoldo Lopez, evading arrest in a Spanish diplomatic residence, on Thursday disclosed he met with senior military officials before a failed uprising against President Nicolas Maduro this week.

U.N. urges Venezuela to clarify fate of detained opposition lawmaker
FILE PHOTO: Venezuelan opposition lawmaker Gilber Caro speaks during an interview with Reuters in Caracas, Venezuela June 12, 2018 in this still image taken from a video. REUTERS TV/ via REUTERS/File Photo

The U.N. human rights office called on Venezuela's government of Nicolas Maduro on Friday to disclose the whereabouts of opposition lawmaker Gilber Caro, who was arrested last week.

Cracks appear in U.S. bipartisan unity on Venezuela
Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro speaks during a rally in Caracas, Venezuela, May 1, 2019. REUTERS/Fausto Torrealba

President Donald Trump's tough approach to Venezuela has won broad support from both Republicans and Democrats in the U.S. Congress, but this rare display of bipartisan consensus is starting to show signs of strain as the crisis in the OPEC nation drags on.

Hemmed in by sanctions, Venezuela central bank moves forex operations to cash
FILE PHOTO: People walk in front of the Venezuela's Central Bank in Caracas, Venezuela May 3, 2019. REUTERS/Manaure Quintero

Venezuela's central bank has begun using piles of cash rather than electronic transfer to sell foreign exchange to local banks, according to five finance sector sources, a sign of how the nation's economy has become increasingly primitive amid a hyperinflationary meltdown.

Trump says he and Putin discussed getting humanitarian aid to Venezuela
Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido, who many nations have recognised as the country's rightful interim ruler, leaves after a news conference in Caracas, Venezuela, May 3, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Eduardo Ramirez
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Friday he focused on humanitarian aid for Venezuelans during a phone call with Russian President Vladimir Putin, backing away from his administration's recent harsh rhetoric about Russian involvement in the crisis.

Lima Group accuses Maduro of protecting 'terrorist groups' in Colombia
Peru's Foreign Minister Nestor Popolizio makes declarations to the media next to Chile's Foreign Minister Roberto Ampuero and Colombia's Foreign Minister Carlos Holmes Trujillo after a Lima Group regional bloc summit in Lima, Peru May 3, 2019. REUTERS/ Guadalupe Pardo

The Lima Group regional bloc, which supports the opposition in Venezuela, accused Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro of protecting "terrorist groups" in Colombia, and said it rejects any attempt to threaten the life Colombian President Ivan Duque.

U.S. intelligence on Venezuela 'very good,' acting defense chief says
Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan testifies before a House Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing on the  Department of Defense - FY2020 Budget request on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., May 1, 2019. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan dismissed concerns about a potential intelligence failure on Venezuela like the one that preceded the 2003 U.S. invasion of Iraq, and said top U.S. officials had held talks at the Pentagon on Friday.

Now there's this:

Trump ‘Asking Questions on Reliability’ of US Intel on Venezuela – Report

Trump’s new remarks come a few days after he told Fox News that the US is dealing with “lots of options”, including “very tough” ones, on Venezuela, where he said “a lot of things” may take place next week. Earlier, the Venezuelan government announced that a coup attempt, initiated by opposition leader Juan Guaido, had failed. US President Donald Trump has begun to question the credibility of Washington’s intelligence information about Venezuela and its leadership in light of the current events in the South American country, CNN cited unnamed sources as saying.

The sources claimed that Trump's skepticism was caused by the fact that “the military uprising that [Venezuelan opposition leader and self-proclaimed president Juan] Guaido and some US officials were counting on failed to gain steam”. This prompted Trump “to ask to questions about the reliability of US intelligence that suggested senior members of Maduro's inner circle were preparing to defect”, according to the sources.

They added that the US President also pressed his aides on “how reliable the information coming from Guaido and Venezuela was and whether it was being interpreted properly”.

Separately, the sources pointed out that Trump was “urging caution among senior advisers moving forward and expressing frustration that some aides are more openly teasing military intervention” in the South American country. This comes after National Security Adviser John Bolton, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and acting Secretary of Defence Patrick Shanahan met in the Pentagon on Friday to discuss military options in Venezuela.

Shanahan reiterated the White House's oft-repeated statement about all options remaining "on the table" and said there was a "depth" to US military planning. Pompeo, in turn, told a Fox News interviewer that “military action is possible”, adding “if that's what's required, that's what the United States will do”. He was echoed by Bolton, who said that the US would not allow Guaido to be mistreated. Earlier, The Washington Post quoted unnamed White House officials as saying that the Venezuelan opposition had held secret talks with some members of the country’s government that could have been a success, but “for now, it appears to have failed”.

The officials argued that the US did not directly participate in the talks aimed at elaborating a comprehensive blueprint to oust Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro from office. This was followed by Trump telling Fox News that the next few days may see what he described as lots of developments pertaining to the current situation in Venezuela.

He also pledged that Washington would continue to support Guaido, saying that “we are doing everything we can do, short of, you know, the ultimate” and that “there are people who would like to have us do the ultimate”.

Back
Top Bottom