Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I have recently begun experimenting with higher doses of iodine. I had been taking 100mg of iodine (16 drops of 5% lugols) daily for almost a year, but have upped it to 200-300mg per day in 100 mg doses. Since starting I have noticed that I have a lump in my throat, which would seem to me that my thyroid has expanded. I have continued with 200mg/day and will see what happens after a week.

That's what people often experience in the beginning, I think there are two possible options - iodine causes bromine leaving tissues, that cumulates in the blood, then causes fat and also thyrodi start to swell. If you feel metalic taste about an hour after taking iodine, that's the correct explanation. Then you should increase salted water intake. But other option is that the 100 mg increased infection in your thyroid, where iodine tollerant pathogens feed, if that's the correct explanation, 300 mg in one dose should correct the problem.

That's what people often experience in the beginning, I think there are two possible options - iodine causes bromine leaving tissues, that accumulates in the blood, then causes fat and also thyrodi start to swell. If you feel metallic taste about an hour after taking iodine, that's the correct explanation. Then you should increase salted water intake. But other option is that the 100 mg increased infection in your thyroid, where iodine tollerant pathogens feed, if that's the correct explanation, 300 mg in one dose should correct the problem.
Well, I reduced my dosage briefly back to 100mg, and the 'lump in the throat' feeling went away. Then it came back when I upped it again to 200-300mg (one day 200 mg, next day 300mg, then 200 mg...) and the 'lump' feeling came back. So I hit it with 400mg for one day (4 doses of 100mg) and then back down to 200 mg. The 'lump' is still there, so I going to go off of iodine completely and see what happens.
I never noticed a metallic taste in my mouth. As for bromide I don't think that is likely, as I have been taking iodine in largeish doses for some time, and I have been upping my salt intake as per previous mentions in this thread, taking around a teaspoon of sea salt per day. Also co-factors such as Vitamin C, B2 and B3, selenium.
I will see if going off iodine makes a difference, and go from there.

Well, I reduced my dosage briefly back to 100mg, and the 'lump in the throat' feeling went away. Then it came back when I upped it again to 200-300mg (one day 200 mg, next day 300mg, then 200 mg...) and the 'lump' feeling came back. So I hit it with 400mg for one day (4 doses of 100mg) and then back down to 200 mg. The 'lump' is still there, so I going to go off of iodine completely and see what happens.
I never noticed a metallic taste in my mouth. As for bromide I don't think that is likely, as I have been taking iodine in largeish doses for some time, and I have been upping my salt intake as per previous mentions in this thread, taking around a teaspoon of sea salt per day. Also co-factors such as Vitamin C, B2 and B3, selenium.
100 mg sounds like a lot.

It is typically recommended, (well.., this forum had a lot fewer posts in it back when I started, so maybe the wisdom has been updated), but starting verrrrrrry slowly was the smart way to proceed. That meant one drop and watch carefully for the results for a day or two before dosing again with another drop.

For me, those low level doses were like drinking distilled rocket fuel, and they had a profound effect on me, both physically and mentally.

I slowly increased dosage over time, and I maxed out at around 6 drops. -Which, with a 5% solution, is about 37.5 mg.

I consider that a grown up dose.

Slow and steady wins the Iodine race! If you overdo it, you can suffer from mercury and lead poisoning as your body releases stored heavy metals too quickly. Joe had a horrid time of it by going too far, too fast, (and I believe his experiences are documented here). So just be careful as you proceed!

Where are you getting this information? Is there a book or a discussion group?

Mostly from current thread, especially personal experience of others and links to other sources. Rest from books about Iodine, my personal experience and relations of people who discuss on my FB group on Iodine. Old sources may be extremally valuable also.

First, which form of Iodine do you use? How many drops/tablets/powder? The lump feeling as I discussed on my group today is experienced when using low doses between 25 and 100 mg. Usually lasts few days only. Increasing dose makes lump disappear. One of the women reported that she made USG when feeling such pressure, and the thyroid wasn't larger than before iodine. I'm not sure if staying at low dose between 25 and 50 mg resolves the problem, surely drinking salted water and ascorbic acid makes difference.
And since selenium is cumulative and often is enviromental polution, I would recommend checking selenium levels, that may block thyroid when too high.

100 mg sounds like a lot.

It is typically recommended, (well.., this forum had a lot fewer posts in it back when I started, so maybe the wisdom has been updated), but starting verrrrrrry slowly was the smart way to proceed. That meant one drop and watch carefully for the results for a day or two before dosing again with another drop.

For me, those low level doses were like drinking distilled rocket fuel, and they had a profound effect on me, both physically and mentally.

I slowly increased dosage over time, and I maxed out at around 6 drops. -Which, with a 5% solution, is about 37.5 mg.

I consider that a grown up dose.

Slow and steady wins the Iodine race! If you overdo it, you can suffer from mercury and lead poisoning as your body releases stored heavy metals too quickly. Joe had a horrid time of it by going too far, too fast, (and I believe his experiences are documented here). So just be careful as you proceed!

100 mg is in my opinion minimal safe dose for most or even everyone. Starting very slowly isn't good recomendation, since many people have different problems when using doses below 50 mg. As I read, You had them too. Check my few comments back for wider explanation.

From personal experience I would say grown up dose for healthy individual would be somewhere around 100-200 mg. For people who have multiple health issues I would suggest starting at 100 mg and increasing by 50-100 mg every few days/weeks up to 1000 mg and higher in order to do profound detoxification. Finishing the process is experienced as sudden energy burst. I experienced that when using 1000 mg for a few days. It can be described as returning back to young days. Staying on doses between 200 and 400 mg daily prolongs that feeling limitless (3 years now for me).

Iodine also protects cells in case of detox, the only two thing we had to remember is to back up detox from bromine by salted water, and slow increasing dose between 250 and 700 mg, because that are the levels that clear out most of mercury, and mercury iodide is quite toxic also. One can find out it's mercury detox when feeling bitter taste on tongue about hour after iodine ingestion. Then one should increase ascorbic acid intake, and also implement some sulphor source, MSM od DMSO for time of detox. When mercury finally comes out, then one will feel younger and stronger.

Kenny, I’m under the impression that your body will flush out the excess iodine in big doses. It seems to me that you’re just asking us to waste iodine.

Reactions: Meg
Mostly from current thread, especially personal experience of others and links to other sources. Rest from books about Iodine, my personal experience and relations of people who discuss on my FB group on Iodine. Old sources may be extremally valuable also.

I was keeping up with this thread and books, when it was more active, and nowhere have I seen huge doses (such as the ones you suggest) of Iodine recommended. In fact, a lot of people in this thread report negative experiences with higher doses.

And if somebody didn't know, most laser copiers and printers emit selenium.
Yes, selenium is factory waste, and nowadays is often at high toxic levels in polish rivers.
Compare information about soil depletion with few first sentences:
Selenium Overdose is REAL. Be aware of the right dosage

Usually false arguments indicate scam. Selenium deficiency is very rare condition, so I reason, the selenium supplementation might be damage control of iodine supplementation.

I was keeping up with this thread and books, when it was more active, and nowhere have I seen huge doses (such as the ones you suggest) of Iodine recommended. In fact, a lot of people in this thread report negative experiences with higher doses.
I quoted few comments earlier two reports of negative experience with low doses, link me please some of those lot of people messages.

Kenny, I’m under the impression that your body will flush out the excess iodine in big doses. It seems to me that you’re just asking us to waste iodine.

The problem is, high doses real work. For example, when I was stung by some bumblebee or wasp, and was swelling fast (I'm not allergic, that must be some high poisonous one - I was bitten hundreds times before) 2000 mg of iodine helped me for only two hours, then I was swelling again. So I had to repeat 2000 mg dose. Next day morning 1000 mg was enough. Effective doses of iodine are much higher than people usually use, and as other people say, high doses are much better tollerated than doses below 100 mg. 100 years ago, doses used in medicine ranged from 300 to 8000 mg. That was the time doctors were usually poor.

Last edited:
The problem is, high doses real work, when I was stung by some bumblebee or wasp, and was swelling fast, 2000 mg of iodine helped me for only two hours, then I was swelling again. Effective doses of iodine are much higher than people usually use, and as other people say, high doses are much better tollerated than doses below 100 mg. 100 years ago, doses used in medicine ranged from 300 to 8000 mg. That was the time doctors were usually poor.

Can you back up this claim with external information? Perhaps from someone who practices medicine? Some of the links presented in this thread have doctors advising that excessively high doses aren't dangerous due to the body releasing the excess iodine it won't use. I'm pretty tight for cash as we have a strict budget and dont want to double up on my iodine expenses knowing that I'll literally pee most of it out.

Can you back up this claim with external information? Perhaps from someone who practices medicine? Some of the links presented in this thread have doctors advising that excessively high doses aren't dangerous due to the body releasing the excess iodine it won't use. I'm pretty tight for cash as we have a strict budget and dont want to double up on my iodine expenses knowing that I'll literally pee most of it out.

Of course, Iodine as antioxidant is safe due to easy releasing, even in multigram doses. But how can body not use iodine, if it is chemical active itself? It kills every infection in its way. 1 gram of Iodine is worth about 0,1 USD (in Poland), so I think, using 1 gram daily won't ruin my budget soon. Especially, when I see unbelievable health benefits. I'm 47, feel like I was 20. But thinner, healthier and happier ;)

Back
Top Bottom