Star Wars: The Mandalorian

Juba

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Once upon the time I was filmophile, I could not live without TV. But everything changes, so did I, and the TV, and the movies. Looking back the last 10 years of my life, I watched perhaps one to two movies a year, and one of them was always V for Vendetta on a 5th of November, what can I say, love this movie, and it always "hit me". :v:

It's hard to find anything worthy to watch these days. I watched Star Trek: Discovery, but I was disappointed. Discovery is not New Generation, it's far from it, in a bad way. In a matter of fact it's not Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, and that is sad. Perhaps Picard will be better than Discovery, but we'll see. I watched Game of Thornes, and although it depicted psychopathy in fantasy world I'm disappointed, especially with last season, like most of people. Perhaps Witcher will be better, but I doubt it.

I digress, want to say that it is hard to find anything worthy of spending a time. OK, I like to watch documentaries, tech videos (tech nerds will relate to this), and most of all Sott videos, this things are real gems. :hug2:

But couple weeks ago I wached first episode of Star Wars: The Mandalorian. At first I was reluctand to do so, because Disney+ made it, but boy it's good.

First it's Star Wars, but not like last SW movies that lost all the original trilogy "force".

Second, it is space western, like it was "Firefly" with a magic of Akira Kurosawa's movies, especially Seven Samurai epic. Mandalorian is a bad guy - a merc bounty hunter but with a help of baby "Yoda" (just a 50 years old baby) he is getting in touch with his own "humanity" and some STO values. Space cowboy and baby with STO force in it - like it.

Perhaps the rest of the series will have some value. If not, well nothing new. It will be a real surprise if not disappointed with future episodes of Mandalorian.

May the force be with it.

Attachments

• 1 mandalorian.jpg
    1 mandalorian.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 11 beba yoda.jpg
    11 beba yoda.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 1 beba yoda.jpg
    1 beba yoda.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1 baby and a bounty hunter.jpg
    1 baby and a bounty hunter.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 24
I was meaning to post a thread about this, but you beat me to it. I really was intrigued by the trailer. I thought Episode VII, The Force Awakens would be the best movie ever, and I was let down. Rogue One was a breath of fresh air, but the main series has been weak. I hope this can be the killer Star Wars story I was waiting for.

So I guess I'll watch it, the season being only 8 episodes. I saw a lot of posting of fan art of this "baby Yoda", but I guess it's not too much of a spoiler.

After two episodes, it's surprisingly well made so far. Also symbolically, I would say. Mild spoilers: For example, this baby-yoda character is encountered first in this egg-like shaped busket. It's almost like a seed of some higher, spiritual (heavenly) truths, something completly new for our protagonist to discover. It is contrasted in a interesting way with actual egg, that Java's demanded from the Mandalorian as a part of a deal with him. They demanded an egg of an earthly beast (quite literally), what represents their materialistic approach to life. And when they got their egg, they just used it to imidietly satisfy their craving for it.

There is a potential for some good story-telling, it might be interesting to watch how protagonist will deal with his newly discovered potential.

Mandalorian looks good so far. The episodes are not exessively long, and baby Yoda (whether he turns out to be the next lord of the dark force later on is yet to be seen) is funny (like the "don't touch anything" scene). For those who have liked the clone wars, it's good to see a bunch of mandalorians do battle, although the scene was too short. Time will tell if it doesn't degenetate. For now, this is the way.

Before I talk about The Mandalorian, it's important to note that I am an avid Trekkie, and always saw Star Wars movies as kind of childish (gasp! ;-)) in comparison to Star Trek. But then I had the chance to see this new series and really liked it. Basically, if all Star Wars would be like this, I would probably have a different opinion about the franchise and the SW Universe. :-D

It's hard to find anything worthy to watch these days. I watched Star Trek: Discovery, but I was disappointed. Discovery is not New Generation, it's far from it, in a bad way. In a matter of fact it's not Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, and that is sad.

Totally agree. Actually, recently I remarked how unfair it is that Disney created such an awesome show for SW fans, and Trekkies were given the cr*p that is Discovery. 😅

Second, it is space western, like it was "Firefly" with a magic of Akira Kurosawa's movies, especially Seven Samurai epic.

Yes, agree on that as well. Although nothing can top the brilliance of Joss Whedon's creation ;-), I definitely appreciate the similarities, and think that this is what makes the show particularly good. And here's just for fun spaghetti western trailer for "The Mandalorian":

As for Baby Yoda :love:...It's like the creators covered all the cuteness triggers, not to mention Mando being in the fatherly/the protector position.

Last edited:
For all the Star Wars geeks out here. 🙂

One of the most sought after fictional technology made reality. A real lightsaber (or almost). I think it's really cool. 😁
These guys did it! That is so awesome! LOL!
Thanks so much for sharing these videos, I am sending the links to my sons right now.
My first born is a 100% Star Wars fan, right to his very core, and I know he will appreciate the workmanship and enthusiasm of these like minded Geeks, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom