Earthquakes around the world

Things are looking different this week as there is quite an uptick.
7 out of 83 earthquakes worldwide equal or greater to 4.5. This is more than it has been for a while.
2135 out of 2727 of all earthquakes.
Percentage: 78.3%
Both numbers are quite a bit more than it has been for months. Question is whether we are starting to see a cosmic reaction to the massive lock down and the stifling of creative energy???
A very similar pattern this week for the map area covering 'the greater' North America:
4 out of 88 earthquakes worldwide equal or greater to 4.5. One in Texas of 5.0.
2274 out of 2742 of all earthquakes worldwide.
Percentage: 82.9% (last week I forgot to give the percentage, but it was 78.3%)
Earthquakes 7 days to March 29th 2020.gif

Last edited:
30.03.2020 - Magnitude 5.6 Earthquake Hits Colombia-Ecuador Border - US Geological Survey
A magnitude 5.6 earthquake was registered on Monday at the border of Colombia and Ecuador, the US Geological Survey said.

The quake was registered at 09:09 GMT. Its epicentre was located at a depth of 132 kilometres (82 miles), 33 kilometres (21 miles) to the southeast from Pimampiro settlement in Ecuador. There are no reports about victims or damage caused by the earthquake.

30.03.2020 - Earthquake shakes Afghanistan, Pakistan
An earthquake shook some buildings in Afghanistan and Pakistan on Monday, witnesses said.

The magnitude 4.9 quake was centered in the mountainous Hindu Kush region in Afghanistan, at a depth of 211 km (130 miles), the U.S. Geological Survey said.

M 6.5 - 72km W of Challis, Idaho
Time 2020-03-31
23:52:31 (UTC)
Location 44.448°N 115.136°W
Depth10.0 km

_https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-floor-was-moving-6-5-earthquake-strikes-in-idaho-largest-in-the-state-since-1983/ar-BB11Zk2M?ocid=ob-tw-enus-677 said:
McCALL, Idaho — A 6.5 magnitude earthquake struck near Boise, Idaho, on Tuesday night, jolting people across three states. No injuries or damage has been immediately reported.

The temblor was centered 73 miles northeast of Meridian, a city on the outskirts of Boise, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It's the most powerful earthquake to strike the Gem State since 1983, when the 6.9 magnitude Borah Peak earthquake killed two people and resulted in millions in damages, according to the Idaho Geological Survey.

“It felt like the whole house was shaking,” said Jim Tracy, 81, who was looking at model airplanes on his computer at a friend's house in McCall. “It lasted so long I knew that it was a big one.”

A very similar pattern this week for the map area covering 'the greater' North America:
View attachment 34705
Hi Aeneas,

Dumb question, but what does the percentage uptick mean? 82.9, minus 78.3, a 4.6% increase from the previous week. is that significant increase? is 82.9% "high", and what/which does this specify, area, or? I can go back and look, but if you please. Thanks!

Dumb question, but what does the percentage uptick mean? 82.9, minus 78.3, a 4.6% increase from the previous week. is that significant increase? is 82.9% "high", and what/which does this specify, area, or? I can go back and look, but if you please. Thanks!
Hi Nel-Li,
I have been posting just to collect information from this area of the globe, where most of the world's earthquakes are happening. Whether 82.9% is significant, I can not say. What I do find interesting is that so many earthquakes take place here and that they are relatively small. Being small means that they release a lot less energy than bigger ones. An earthquake of 6.0 release roughly the same amount of energy as 1000 small earthquakes of each 3.0. So with a lot of small earthquakes and only very few big ones, the energy accumulates. Does that mean that we will see a big earthquake soon? Who knows and soon is always hard to define. On the other hand if one lives in the area, then one might look at things a bit differently as it is a kind of poker game.

What the maps show, which I have documented since September 2019, is that there is a lot of activity. The ground is shaking continuously and there are as one can see, certain areas which are consistently very active.

Since I have never looked at this before in terms of small earthquakes, then it is hard to say if it is something new or if this kind of percentage has been persistent in the last few hundred years or decades or if this is some new phenomenon which is heralding something bigger to come. Time will show.

Just to be clear, I have no background in seismology, but just found it interesting to record for the time being.

Yet another week and more corona panic madness. Does this show in the earthquakes data? Well, that would be hard to say, though the number of earthquakes did go up. Whether we will see a trend developing with more and also stronger earthquakes is something else. Also we are only documenting in a loose way what is happening around North America.

5 out of 69 earthquakes equal or greater to 4.5 fell in the map area with the biggest being a 6.5 in Idaho.
2831 out of 3260 of all earthquakes worldwide in the area.
Percentage: 86.8%
Earthquakes 7 days to April 5th 2020.gif

Last edited:
M 5.9 - 123km NW of Kota Ternate, Indonesia
2020-04-06
BEIJING, April 6 (Xinhua) -- An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.9 jolted 123 km NW of Kota Ternate, Indonesia at 18:37:10 GMT on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said.

The epicenter, with a depth of 53.62 km, was initially determined to be at 1.4007 degrees north latitude and 126.4427 degrees east longitude.

Yet another week and more corona panic madness. Does this show in the earthquakes data? Well, that would be hard to say, though the number of earthquakes did go up. Whether we will see a trend developing with more and also stronger earthquakes is something else. Also we are only documenting in a loose way what is happening around North America.

5 out of 69 earthquakes equal or greater to 4.5 fell in the map area with the biggest being a 6.5 in Idaho.
2831 out of 3260 of all earthquakes worldwide in the area.
Percentage: 86.8%
View attachment 35013

About the biggest earthquake in Idaho I found an intersting article :
"A week after Idaho’s earthquake, experts seek answers about historic, unexpected event"

About the biggest earthquake in Idaho I found an intersting article :
"A week after Idaho’s earthquake, experts seek answers about historic, unexpected event"
Hi Persephone,
Perhaps in the future when you see something that is interesting, then select a couple of quotes or say in your own words why you found the link to be interesting. In that way other people here don't necessarily have to go to the site to find out why it might be interesting. It is an example of external consideration. This might be part of what you found interesting in the above link:
But in the days since the earthquake, Thackray has puzzled over whether his assumption was right. The earthquake, believed to be the second-strongest on record in Idaho, originated about 21 miles northwest of Stanley, according to data from the U.S. Geological Survey.

“It’s in an odd location for the Sawtooth Fault itself, being up in that corner where Highway 21 makes the big loop,” Thackray said.

When he learned the earthquake was caused by a strike-slip fault — one in which tectonic plates move past one another horizontally — rather than a normal fault that causes vertical movement, he had even more questions.

“When the first information came out about how (the earthquake) moved, it didn’t make sense for the Sawtooth Fault,” Thackray said. “That’s not to say the Sawtooth Fault wasn’t involved in some way, but that’s a detail that’s of great interest to geologists.”

Hi Persephone,
Perhaps in the future when you see something that is interesting, then select a couple of quotes or say in your own words why you found the link to be interesting. In that way other people here don't necessarily have to go to the site to find out why it might be interesting. It is an example of external consideration. This might be part of what you found interesting in the above link:
Yes Aeneas. In fact I thought about doing this, but I admit I was not completely sure (about the article being really of interest) and thus afraid not to be good in doing this... and I see now that I would have done it anyway because here there is something concerning my ego wanting always be "perfect":-[, and "paradoxically" (only in appearance), on the other hand not making enough effords to do the work of selecting ;-). Not sure if this was clear but in any case thank you !!!:-D

Back
Top Bottom