Canning meat/what Equipment is needed, how much canning is necessary

The price is about the same as what I've been finding on Amazon. Here are a few other options that are a bit cheaper per jar:
My issue with store bought jars is that pretty much all of the ones I’ve found don’t have a popping lid, i.e. there is no ‘click’ when the jar is opened for the first time. Neither there is any noticeable difference between a sealed jar and one they didn’t close properly. So far I haven’t been able to find the kind of jars that store bought food comes in, which is those with a lid that gets indented when the jar seals.

I don’t know if it helps you at all but what I do is recycle jars I bought store ready food in. My mom has been recycling jars like that ever since I remember and canning was something we always did a lot of. So far this has been quite effective.

There’s an app called Olio where people post free food and household stuff to give away for free. I use it a lot myself. I just did a quick search for empty jars in my local area and I’ve found quite a few listings. You can also write a ‘wanted’ listing. I don’t know how popular it is outside London. I guess Freecycle may be with checking out too.

You’d need to check each jar thoroughly to make sure there are no dents around the area that touches the glass to make sure they will seal though.
So are you using just normal lids for canning not the ones with the two-part lids with disc and band? And they work ok?

My presto arrived yesterday so starting this weekend!

Attachments

• photo_2021-12-17_08-13-39.jpg
    photo_2021-12-17_08-13-39.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 14
ok so this morn I checked and 5 were fine, one hadn't sealed properly so thats in the fridge for dinner. There was a bit of sauce on all the jars so I've wiped them clean with vinegar and hope that's the right thing to do, I guess they came from the jar that failed. I'm working using litre jars but all recipes use quart sizes which are almost a litre (1 quart = 0.946ml) so I'm guessing the times are interchangeable.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20211219_110247.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20211219_110247.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 9
There was a bit of sauce on all the jars so I've wiped them clean with vinegar and hope that's the right thing to do

After canning, we often have dirty jars, even if they end up all sealed in the end, so we wait until they have cooled down and then we wash them and their top lids, with warm water and dish soap.

I'm working using litre jars but all recipes use quart sizes which are almost a litre (1 quart = 0.946ml) so I'm guessing the times are interchangeable.

Yes, it is 90 minutes canning after the pot got to the right pressure for a few minutes.

Good job on your first try!

After canning, we often have dirty jars, even if they end up all sealed in the end, so we wait until they have cooled down and then we wash them and their top lids, with warm water and dish soap.

Yes, it is 90 minutes canning after the pot got to the right pressure for a few minutes.

Good job on your first try!
Oh good, cause I did it for 90 mins once pressured. Thanks. I'm gonna do leek and potato soup next but every video on youtube has slightly different times and they all using presto. Am I right in thinking you cook for the thing that takes longest to cook, eg use cooking time for the potatoes for my soup?

So are you using just normal lids
I did.
The first one are a well know French brand called Le Parfait (EN translation: The Perfect). This brand exist since the early 1930s and can be found in a lot of places in France.

Most of the ones I have I found them on garage sales. The lids (FR: capsules) I bought them new from local stores.

The second ones are from a german website. I couldn't find the exact ones I ordered 8 years ago or so. I have now searched more on the website and the ones I use are pretty much those ones: here.

I just opened one bone broth one from november 2013. As you can see from the short video below it was well sealead.

I made another order on the german website a few months back. They have "improved" their lids: 20211219_154537.jpg That doesn't make any difference to me.

So are you using just normal lids for canning not the ones with the two-part lids with disc and band? And they work ok?
Yes, I’m using normal lids. I do all of my canning in Poland as I have nowhere to store the food in the UK and I’ve never seen the two-part ones being available in Poland. The normal ones work just fine. They easily last a few years and my family have always used them. We have canned food using a hot bath ever since I remember.

Yes, I’m using normal lids. I do all of my canning in Poland as I have nowhere to store the food in the UK and I’ve never seen the two-part ones being available in Poland. The normal ones work just fine. They easily last a few years and my family have always used them. We have canned food using a hot bath ever since I remember.
So it is hot canning rather than pressure canning? And the difference is pressure gives you a little more security cause of the higher temp? Still very new to this.

Does anyone know if there is an induction-ready 16-Quart Presto Canner (23-Quart is too big for my use) available?

Anyone in the UK or even Europe know where you can get cheap jars? So far Amazon sell 12x1litre for £33. Can't seem to beat that. My canner is now in the UK sorting office - whoop whoop - not long now! Watched an interesting video today about canning sausages.
I've been buying all my jars on amazon, see pic. They seem to do fine ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 6.30.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-19 at 6.30.33 PM.png
    981.2 KB · Views: 9
Does anyone know if there is an induction-ready 16-Quart Presto Canner (23-Quart is too big for my use) available?
I had a look on both ebay and amazon but couldn't find any induction compatible canners of that size. Looks like the only induction canner from Presto is the 23-quart one.

I've been buying all my jars on amazon, see pic. They seem to do fine ...
I've been using similar lids to these ones and they seem to work fine, but I will have to try an open one first to see if the food I canned is actually edible.

I had a look on both ebay and amazon but couldn't find any induction compatible canners of that size. Looks like the only induction canner from Presto is the 23-quart one.
Thank you, yes, the only induction canner from Presto is the biggest one. Too bad, it is too big for my small induction stove :cry:

I've found a useful guide with the recipes for home canning here (linked from this CDC site):

They are recommending 10psi (~70kPa) for my altitude (for weighted gauge one), so this enables me to buy some small and handy (4x quart jar max.) pressure cooker (like this one).

Zrzut ekranu z 2021-12-19 23-42-19.png

Am I right in thinking you cook for the thing that takes longest to cook, eg use cooking time for the potatoes for my soup?
That's a good rule of thumb. You may be able to shorten the processing time a bit if you parboil the potatoes first, so they go into the jars partially cooked. It might be that an extended canning time would lower the quality of the rest of the ingredients. Of course if you have some kind of protein in the soup, it would still have to be processed for the full 90 minutes. Carry on! :cool2:

ok I made potato and leek soup yesterday. All the recipes on youtube have different times, even though they all use Presto canners. That is frustrating, I went with my manual and one video which said 75 mins for soups even though it seemed a little excessive and some were doing it for 40 mins and others 50 mins. Anyway, first pic is when it came out, looks fine, second pic is this morn after cooking overnight and the water level is down quite a bit. Does that mean I overcooked it? Is it ok to eat or should I just start eating it and try a new batch?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20211219_215300.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20211219_215300.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail_IMG_20211220_080412.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20211220_080412.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 10
ok I made potato and leek soup yesterday. All the recipes on youtube have different times, even though they all use Presto canners. That is frustrating, I went with my manual and one video which said 75 mins for soups even though it seemed a little excessive and some were doing it for 40 mins and others 50 mins. Anyway, first pic is when it came out, looks fine, second pic is this morn after cooking overnight and the water level is down quite a bit. Does that mean I overcooked it? Is it ok to eat or should I just start eating it and try a new batch?
Pressure canned foods are all over-cooked! That appearance is typical for my stuff. I think some water boils off right before sealing, then maybe the food absorbs some more water as it cools. It should be fine to eat if the seal is good.

Back
Top Bottom