Study and Discussion of the Moving Center

obyvatel said:
Hi Alice,
You may want to look at Peter Levine's book "In An Unspoken Voice"....

I've read through this thread and had many 'AHA!' moments. Everything's starting to come together lately. Most surprising is how on earth I didn't make the proper connection with it all and the Work and EE?!? I watched the intro video and read about what it does and how and practiced, but until now I didn't fully understand how it works :-[ I don't get it... How is it possible that I had all this info gathered and 'saved' for years without making a proper connection, relations to one another?!? Like looking at something but not really seeing it and therefor being unable to follow it through. As if I missed a proper 'wiring' to connect the pieces into a meaningful image. That 'separated knowledge' may have done more damage than good, in a way of throwing me back deeper into the old loops, cause of the misunderstood fears and emotions which were arising and instead of working with them I was drowning in it and blocking it (while believing I'm doing it right!!!) and then blaming the Work and EE and who-knows-what or whom for it.

I'll continue reading other threads this evening. Lots of things to think about. Thank you once more.

obyvatel said:
That could be the case when the will power is enough to completely remove a habit by itself. It is theoretically possible but usually not probable. The point in asking to "move slow deliberately" in this specific context was to temporarily disrupt a habitual pattern so that self-observation can take place. If you have a deep ingrained habit of doing things in a particular way, then just reading and trying to practice doing something different is not likely to be successful all the time. If someone struggles with oneself in this way, the point may become clear. Here is a relevant ISOTM quote that deals with this topic.
I somewhat understand what you mean now. Just to reiterate, the better way of struggling against habits is to consciously interrupt it's manifestations at certain points in time. Self observation is the natural result of this interruption of habit? So self-observation is not something that we can initiate directly, but is a result of this interruption of habit?

edit: Additionally, I've always had the thought the self observation could be done at anytime, sort of like looking inward to see what my thoughts and emotions are like. This changes a lot of what I take for granted about self-observation. I read the text again and I see a bit more clearly that he means that we need to struggle against our automatism to see something new about ourselves, to gain new data from self-observation. Normal observation of automatic patterns without struggling against them, would still be useful, but maybe only in the initial stages of Work, OSIT.

obyvatel said:
Perhaps. But how much is "sufficient data"? I do not think these questions render themselves for easy practical answers. And sometimes the lazy mind latches on to the vagueness aspect of this point and goes into the realm of imagination.
I noticed that I often resort to imagination in the way you explain it. It seems quite unhelpful and tends to steer my thinking into territories that are very vague, fantastic and open-ended... thanks for this.

obyvatel said:
IMO the more practical approach is that of a natural scientist studying behavior of a species with wonder and curiosity and trying to observe, record and understand what he sees in small incremental steps. Points of change may then be arrived at naturally in this experiential approach. Deeper changes in the psyche perhaps follow this type of process - at least that is my current understanding.
Yes I tend to agree with you here. The Work seems like a system of progressive change and growth, instead of something that can be planned and executed with guaranteed results. Looking into my past that seems to be the way it is. Also everything that is recommended practice here, EE and diet included, are all catalysts for this upward progression. That child-like curiosity is something that I should return to more often.

Alice said:
... How is it possible that I had all this info gathered and 'saved' for years without making a proper connection, relations to one another?!? Like looking at something but not really seeing it and therefor being unable to follow it through. As if I missed a proper 'wiring' to connect the pieces into a meaningful image. That 'separated knowledge' may have done more damage than good, in a way of throwing me back deeper into the old loops, cause of the misunderstood fears and emotions which were arising and instead of working with them I was drowning in it and blocking it (while believing I'm doing it right!!!) and then blaming the Work and EE and who-knows-what or whom for it.

I'll continue reading other threads this evening. Lots of things to think about. Thank you once more.
Conscious understanding comes only when you are ready to use it. :) Before then, and to get to that stage, you have to struggle in the mire to arrive at that understanding.

The Predator's Mind has a devilish plan of working, very cunning, subtle and misleading. A quote from the Glossary: ... The predator of internal considering may well claim to engage in merciless self-observation, to aspire to consciousness and being and any other virtues and even trick itself to believe it is progressing towards these goals while all the while only feeding its vanity and desire for recognition. The devil is in the details of how the Predator's Mind works!

Been there, done that, still am :(, so be gentle on yourself and go with the flow of learning - when the time is right. :)

This may help or not.

Psalehesost said:
This thread has had me questioning what number of man I am.

These were my old thoughts in The Swamp:

Psalehesost said:
I don't know whether I am actually a "man 2" or a "man 3" - in going over memories, this has long been unclear, given the very strong emotionality experienced in the earlier parts of my life - at the same time, intellect was ahead of age in early childhood and also quite active and involved, and as the emotional center later went - not altogether to sleep, but more into a toxic, numbed yet active stupor - it became the center of gravity of what was "conscious".

[...] Looking at my life, it seems that I have lived at once as a sick "man 2" (who knows mainly what he "does not like" rather than what he "does like") and a somewhat healthier, yet confused, "man 3". Confused in large part because of the befuddling influence of a sickened emotional center.

The solution is elegant and simple - I am neither!

Like some in this thread, I used to think of "man 1" in terms of a "physically focused" and in that sense active person; going by Gurdjieff's description, I also do not seem to be "man 1" 'in the fullest sense', as in someone who 'learns everything like a parrot or a monkey'. Nevertheless, "lopsidedness" varies in strength and character - and there is something that can define "man 1" that is very clear in me:

Cassiopedia said:
A moving center type may tend to rely on senses, as in "if I do not see it, it is not so" or "if I see it, I see it as it truly is." This is not limited to physical senses but can extend to intuitions, ESP and the like, which are in part functions of the intelligent part of the moving/instinctive center. With man 1, experience takes precedence.

Sensing, including "mental sensations" (here I mean sensations connected with or arising from, in general, all manner of psychological processes concerning thoughts, feelings and experiences) - it has been at the center of my focus for as long as I can remember - the forms vary, as well as the things connected to it, but there it is - the elephant in the room regarding all my prior thoughts on my "type".

My motivations (and the actual root of my interests) have very often been "sensate" - only not physical sensation but the above-mentioned. Everything from daydreaming, fantasies, gaming, reading and watching fiction - to music and especially sound in itself - and generally doing things - much, perhaps most, was all along all about this.

Boredom or lack of interest in a subject was typically all about not experiencing such "sensation" connected to it. (I suspect higher maths became hopeless in large part for pretty much this reason)

obyvatel said:
For a moving center dominated man, the response though quick is less likely to have much of an emotional flavor. It is more likely to be a response which is sort of dry and may seem to be superficially intellectual. He is more likely to search his memory banks to pick out what he thinks is an appropriate response, working chiefly through his formatory apparatus. In many cases the lack of depth would become discernible as compared to a more studied and deliberate response of Man 3. An intellectual man may wait longer to process the information and may even ask more questions to gather more data before giving a response.

That describes me very well in life, as opposed to when I sit down and work on some intellectual problem. "Pondering" for me is often about "sensing" what "seems" right rather than analyzing things, kind of simply stalling, "digging around" repetitively in the mind, until there is a coherent impression. Not always, but still all too often - this became a deeply ingrained habit in my teens, when I became less spontaneous, more inhibited, more stuck in my head and less in touch with my body (along with my emotions).

All the above realizations have made me think of myself differently - I also feel different - and memories from throughout life have gathered that cement a new impression of myself. Now to examine further what this all means in practical terms - it may give some new (or clearer) ideas of strengths, weaknesses and possible approaches in many contexts...

I fairly recently re-read this post. While I'm not completely certain of the type of man I am, I think this remains the best explanation - in terms both of what I can recall that supports it, and the current overall pattern in life of how I judge, make decisions, and what generally drives me.

I want to write of one thing that I have noticed - an intellectual weakness, and also what, thus far, seems to help with it. Perhaps this may be useful for some other men no. 1. If not, I think it still matters to network, as it concerns the way I function.

I seem to have a hard time, in general, asking myself questions about things. Unless one pops into my mind "on its own", all too often I have none. Generally, however, that does not mean there is certainty - System 1, through its intuition (pattern matching formed in part through experience), provokes doubt in many kinds of situations. But doubt in itself is a feeling. It can occur in itself without being connected to any clear question - and then it gives rise to indecision.

This happens a lot. And so, I hesitate a lot. It actually eats into productivity, and means that some things that could or should have been done earlier are put off. And opportunities have been missed in this way.

Then there is what I mentioned in my previous post - judging by what "feels right". Elaborating on that, the pattern matching of System 1 also makes some things look "good", giving rise to impulses. And so, I am often pulled toward things without having a clear reason for it.

I have learned over time to "question myself" with regard to both these things, but as yet my "questioning" is most often very shallow. That is, I don't actually ask the questions that would lead me to an answer based on reason, but instead, there is simply the feeling of doubt. In addition, there can be contrary impulses, such that I am pulled in a different direction. And so, I can vacillate - A "feels" right, then B "feels" right and A "feels" wrong; then it switches, then it switches again, and so forth.

So, to solve this, I have had to practice deliberately asking questions. On this depends productivity, and actually doing something useful, instead of running off along one track for a time, then another, then another... Which has been the picture of the past years of my life.

The habits of System 1 dominance are hard to break. The area where I have long been able to break them concerns questioning my judgment regarding information - and in general my conclusions when explicit thought is involved. All the areas where System 2 is engaged.

The problem comes when System 2 is not engaged. And it is generally dis-engaged in decision-making. This is something I have been struggling with, and still have to struggle to change. While I more often make decisions according to rational thinking, System 1 still dominates all too often.

System 2 needs to be trained - not only its engagement, which must be made a habit, but also in how it is engaged. For it to question and disbelieve things is not enough - it must be able to construct something; an estimate. And if questioning is only directed towards the intended object of thought, there can be a problem. There can be preconceptions that limit its work, so that it won't produce anything useful. As one exampe, in trivial situations, it often happens that in reality, it doesn't matter what I choose. Yet the choice can become a huge concern, wanting to do the "one right thing", which may not actually exist - yet it is assumed that it "must" exist. System 1, operating from this belief, rejects the rational conclusion (that in these cases, I can just pick something) or blocks it from even being produced in the first place. In such cases, questioning the false belief is the first step - then, System 2 can go on from there to decision-making.

Asking myself questions is the starting point - from there, I can actually begin to think "for real" instead of just processing intuitions and vague mental sensations.

I've experienced that asking myself questions seems to go very well with journaling. To sort out ambivalences and/or major indecisions in my life, I sometimes ask myself questions and work through the issues with pen and paper. In my experience, the answers come surprisingly quickly, end up being clear and "obvious", and soon the issue is sorted. In theory, that is - I usually have to remind myself time and time again and resist the impulses of System 1. In this way, I can e.g. form and stick to a plan with more discipline, and also put an end to low, depressive moods that inhibit work.

There is usually a question to be found, and this is the means of beginning to arrive at an answer. The mistake I made all these years, in nearly every area of my life, was to try to arrive at an answer without really asking questions. Often I drew a blank. Sometimes, intuition provided an answer - sometimes good, sometimes bad - but it cannot be relied upon, something which it took several years of distraction and failure in life to realize.

There is now one specific challenge ahead of me which seems to help with training System 2 and becoming better balanced. It may not suit everyone, but perhaps someone else may benefit from it: Mathematics and similar subjects. I mentioned mathematics "becoming hopeless" in my previous post. Since then, I think in part thanks to the paleo and ketogenic diets as well as tobacco, it has become easier. (Brain works better.) Still, understanding is very limited in certain areas, such that they are very hard for me to learn. But there is always at least some area of study open to me - something which, though challenging, is doable. In this way, I find I gradually build up what I have been lacking all along - real strength of intellect, and ability to comprehend. (Being enslaved by System 1 seems to make for rather poor comprehension.) And with growth of comprehension, new possibilities open up - in my further studies, in learning in general, and when it comes to making decisions in life.

Hi Psalesost. I think you have said many valuable and enlightening things in this thread so far. Thanks for continuing to contribute. :)

Psalehesost said:
I fairly recently re-read this post. While I'm not completely certain of the type of man I am, I think this remains the best explanation - in terms both of what I can recall that supports it, and the current overall pattern in life of how I judge, make decisions, and what generally drives me.

I want to write of one thing that I have noticed - an intellectual weakness, and also what, thus far, seems to help with it. Perhaps this may be useful for some other men no. 1. If not, I think it still matters to network, as it concerns the way I function.

I think what you’ve said about a failure to think and ask questions of ourselves is valuable to everyone because, like you mentioned, it’s about System 2’s inactivity in the face of System 1’s negative automatism.

Laura said:
You must understand that the three principal centers, the thinking, the emotional, and the moving, are connected together and, in a normal man, they are always working in unison. This unison is what presents the chief difficulty in work on oneself.… It means that a definite work of the thinking center is connected with a definite work of the emotional and moving centers—that is to say, that a certain kind of thought is inevitably connected with a certain kind of emotion (or mental state) and with a certain kind of movement (or posture); and one evokes the other, that is, a certain kind of emotion (or mental state) evokes certain movements or postures and certain thoughts, and a certain kind of movement or posture evokes certain emotions or mental states, and so forth. Everything is connected and one thing cannot exist without another thing.

"Now imagine that a man decides to think in a new way. But he feels in the old way. Imagine that he dislikes R." He pointed to one of those present. "This dislike of R. immediately arouses old thoughts and he forgets his decision to think in a new way. Or let us suppose that he is accustomed to smoking cigarettes while he is thinking—this is a moving habit. He decides to think in a new way. He begins to smoke a cigarette and thinks in the old way without noticing it. The habitual movement of lighting a cigarette has turned his thoughts round to the old tune. You must remember that a man can never break this accordance by himself. Another man's will is necessary, and a stick is necessary. All that a man who wants to work on himself can do at a certain stage of his work is to obey. He can do nothing by himself.

{snip}

"Then work on moving center can only be properly organized in a school. As I have already said, the wrong, independent, or automatic work of the moving center deprives the other centers of support and they involuntarily follow the moving center. Often, therefore, the sole possibility of making the other centers work in a new way is to begin with the moving center; that is with the body. A body which is lazy, automatic, and full of stupid habits stops any kind of work."

{snip}

If a man attains perfection of a moral and spiritual nature without hindrance on the part of the body, the body will not interfere with further achievements. But unfortunately this never occurs because the body interferes at the first step, interferes by its automatism, its attachment to habits, and chiefly by its wrong functioning. If the development of the moral and spiritual nature without interference on the part of the body is theoretically possible, it is possible only in the case of an ideal functioning of the body. And who is able to say that his body functions ideally?

"And besides there is deception in the very words 'moral' and 'spiritual' themselves. I have often enough explained before that in speaking of machines one cannot begin with their 'morality' or their 'spirituality,' but that one must begin with their mechanicalness and the laws governing this mechanicalness. The being of man number one, number two, and number three is the being of machines which are able to cease being machines but which have not ceased being machines."

The chief obstacle to forming a magnetic center and awakening positive emotions is that our lower emotional center is always running on H24, that is to say, it is scrambled with, or absorbed into, the regular instinctive functions. Hence the paralysis of one’s empathy and emotional life with preoccupations based on fear, anger, egocentricity, and other internal considering. From this perspective, as far as we should be concerned we are ALL man number one. We ALL struggle against the naive notion of "what you see is all there is", and that basic conceptual perception that pretends to come from thinking, but really doesn't engage the prefrontal cortex at all.

I think this is part of the reason G. dropped teaching the enneagram later on, once he was in France. As he gradually became further acquainted with western culture, and how asleep it was, he realized that tools for training the mental center would not help without first correcting the habits of the moving center. They in fact would distract and pervert The Work into mere philosophy or theory (as was the case with Ouspensky’s school).

[quote author=Psalesost]I seem to have a hard time, in general, asking myself questions about things. Unless one pops into my mind "on its own", all too often I have none. Generally, however, that does not mean there is certainty - System 1, through its intuition (pattern matching formed in part through experience), provokes doubt in many kinds of situations. But doubt in itself is a feeling. It can occur in itself without being connected to any clear question - and then it gives rise to indecision.

{snip}

So, to solve this, I have had to practice deliberately asking questions. On this depends productivity, and actually doing something useful, instead of running off along one track for a time, then another, then another... Which has been the picture of the past years of my life.

The habits of System 1 dominance are hard to break. The area where I have long been able to break them concerns questioning my judgment regarding information - and in general my conclusions when explicit thought is involved. All the areas where System 2 is engaged.

The problem comes when System 2 is not engaged. And it is generally dis-engaged in decision-making. This is something I have been struggling with, and still have to struggle to change. While I more often make decisions according to rational thinking, System 1 still dominates all too often.

{snip}

System 2 needs to be trained - not only its engagement, which must be made a habit, but also in how it is engaged. For it to question and disbelieve things is not enough - it must be able to construct something; an estimate. And if questioning is only directed towards the intended object of thought, there can be a problem. There can be preconceptions that limit its work, so that it won't produce anything useful. As one example, in trivial situations, it often happens that in reality, it doesn't matter what I choose. Yet the choice can become a huge concern, wanting to do the "one right thing", which may not actually exist - yet it is assumed that it "must" exist. System 1, operating from this belief, rejects the rational conclusion (that in these cases, I can just pick something) or blocks it from even being produced in the first place. In such cases, questioning the false belief is the first step - then, System 2 can go on from there to decision-making.[/quote]

So true. I wonder though, what is the distinction between training and using? I have always thought the problem with system 2 was, like you said, is that is it simply unused. That too often we rely on system 1 to let us sleepwalk. But then you say it must be engaged in a certain, constructive way. I always thought that all incorrect system 2 functioning (which I tend to associate with converse, fallacious thinking) stems from some problem in system 1, the way a prism refracts light based on its own crystalline structure and deformations. Is this wrong? Do I misunderstand? I'll have to think more on this.

[quote author=Psalesost]Asking myself questions is the starting point - from there, I can actually begin to think "for real" instead of just processing intuitions and vague mental sensations.

I've experienced that asking myself questions seems to go very well with journaling. To sort out ambivalences and/or major indecisions in my life, I sometimes ask myself questions and work through the issues with pen and paper. In my experience, the answers come surprisingly quickly, end up being clear and "obvious", and soon the issue is sorted. In theory, that is - I usually have to remind myself time and time again and resist the impulses of System 1. In this way, I can e.g. form and stick to a plan with more discipline, and also put an end to low, depressive moods that inhibit work.

There is usually a question to be found, and this is the means of beginning to arrive at an answer. The mistake I made all these years, in nearly every area of my life, was to try to arrive at an answer without really asking questions. Often I drew a blank. Sometimes, intuition provided an answer - sometimes good, sometimes bad - but it cannot be relied upon, something which it took several years of distraction and failure in life to realize.[/quote]

This reminds me about what the Cassiopaeans have said about STO providing assistance to all those who ask in the true sense of the world, and open up to the unknown.

[quote author=Psalesost]There is now one specific challenge ahead of me which seems to help with training System 2 and becoming better balanced. It may not suit everyone, but perhaps someone else may benefit from it: Mathematics and similar subjects. I mentioned mathematics "becoming hopeless" in my previous post. Since then, I think in part thanks to the paleo and ketogenic diets as well as tobacco, it has become easier. (Brain works better.) Still, understanding is very limited in certain areas, such that they are very hard for me to learn. But there is always at least some area of study open to me - something which, though challenging, is doable. In this way, I find I gradually build up what I have been lacking all along - real strength of intellect, and ability to comprehend. (Being enslaved by System 1 seems to make for rather poor comprehension.) And with growth of comprehension, new possibilities open up - in my further studies, in learning in general, and when it comes to making decisions in life.[/quote]

I too found mathematics to be quite enjoyable. I’m not brilliant at it, but it’s that very fact that makes taking it on and overcoming its challenges so rewarding. The one thing to watch out for would be trying to keep the challenge up, since drilling problems and formulas gradually causes problems that used to be mentally stimulating to become solved more mechanically (think of how you can instantly recall multiplication tables).

Re: poor comprehension, I found that several books that I have read that I would classify as negative dissociation all have in common a very base sort of wording that allows instant associations in the imagination, especially those tied to dramatic and emotional content. This allows me to cruise through whole paragraphs without really thinking about what I’m reading, since the author hands everything to you with denouement in case you fell asleep during one of the parts where subtlety and intrigue played a part.

I have found that not all authors are like that, and some books, while also being more educational in general, actually word things in ways that actually have to make you think and orient yourself more. I’m sure professional literary hacks would accuse those books of worse prose, but I think that sometimes says more about the critics than the authors. :P

whitecoast said:
The chief obstacle to forming a magnetic center and awakening positive emotions is that our lower emotional center is always running on H24, that is to say, it is scrambled with, or absorbed into, the regular instinctive functions. Hence the paralysis of one’s empathy and emotional life with preoccupations based on fear, anger, egocentricity, and other internal considering.

Yes, this has been my experience as well.

[quote author=whitecoast]
From this perspective, as far as we should be concerned we are ALL man number one. We ALL struggle against the naive notion of "what you see is all there is", and that basic conceptual perception that pretends to come from thinking, but really doesn't engage the prefrontal cortex at all.
[/quote]

I tend to think that the difference between mechanical man1, man2, man3 lies in which center is more mechanically active than others. Man1 has his moving center more animated than others - so he has a drive to move around and do something. I think this corresponds to Dabrowski's psychomotor and sensual overexcitabilities. Mechanical man2 has lower level emotions aroused and expressed more often by external events and stimuli. Mechanical man3 thinks mechanically about external events and stimuli but such thinking is not independent. Which brings us to

[quote author=Whitecoast]
[quote author=Psalehesost]
System 2 needs to be trained - not only its engagement, which must be made a habit, but also in how it is engaged. For it to question and disbelieve things is not enough - it must be able to construct something; an estimate. And if questioning is only directed towards the intended object of thought, there can be a problem. There can be preconceptions that limit its work, so that it won't produce anything useful. As one example, in trivial situations, it often happens that in reality, it doesn't matter what I choose. Yet the choice can become a huge concern, wanting to do the "one right thing", which may not actually exist - yet it is assumed that it "must" exist. System 1, operating from this belief, rejects the rational conclusion (that in these cases, I can just pick something) or blocks it from even being produced in the first place. In such cases, questioning the false belief is the first step - then, System 2 can go on from there to decision-making.[/quote]

So true. I wonder though, what is the distinction between training and using? I have always thought the problem with system 2 was, like you said, is that is it simply unused. That too often we rely on system 1 to let us sleepwalk. But then you say it must be engaged in a certain, constructive way. I always thought that all incorrect system 2 functioning (which I tend to associate with converse, fallacious thinking) stems from some problem in system 1, the way a prism refracts light based on its own crystalline structure and deformations. Is this wrong? Do I misunderstand? I'll have to think more on this.
[/quote]

I think system2 can be engaged based on data provided to it from external sources and by the emotional and instinctive centers. Then it proceeds to reason with the data but such reasoning is based on faulty premises. Falling for lies and disinformation is an example where system2 may be engaged but operating on false data from external sources. Emotional thinking, where an external event, neutral in itself, arouses certain emotions/sensations which then drives the thinking apparatus is an example of the other kind.

Training the system2 in terms of external data evaluation is like investigative work - examine the source of the information, question all assumptions, correlate with other data and proceed methodically and rationally towards a conclusion.

With respect to internal errors, where system2 is driven by emotions/instincts, I think one way forward is to separate the functions. Asking what am I feeling, what am I sensing helps in decoupling the emotions and sensations from thought. Peter Levine mentions this and an excerpt is here .
A separation of functions, if achieved, helps system2 activity to proceed independently along the lines of evaluating external data. By separating our instinctive/emotional/intellectual functions internally, we are allowing the system2 to proceed in the same way as in the investigative approach - or so it seems to me.

obyvatel said:
With respect to internal errors, where system2 is driven by emotions/instincts, I think one way forward is to separate the functions. Asking what am I feeling, what am I sensing helps in decoupling the emotions and sensations from thought. Peter Levine mentions this and an excerpt is here .
A separation of functions, if achieved, helps system2 activity to proceed independently along the lines of evaluating external data. By separating our instinctive/emotional/intellectual functions internally, we are allowing the system2 to proceed in the same way as in the investigative approach - or so it seems to me.

I'll also mention one approach I have used. It is to generalize some basic ideas in "Crucial Conversations". There is the distinction between strategy (what you try to do) and goal (the reason for trying to do what you do). The goal has emotional components tied to it, i.e. the raw motivations behind it; the strategy, i.e. actions, being intended to satisfy these by fulfilling the goal. When lost in internal considering, people lose sight of, and confuse their strategy for, their goal/motivations - and so, they do not see when the goal changes.

The book is focused on interactions - during an interaction, the feelings behind one's actions may change, and with them the strategy, but being focused on the strategy of the moment, one does not notice the corruption of one's motivations until it is too late. (Unless one asks oneself the relevant questions while there's still time.) I noticed the same goes for all manner of other situations.

I think it ties into what Gurdjieff said of mechanical men being "mad machines" that can change direction at any moment.

In asking myself the question of what my goal is, and so separating it from the strategy, I find attention is brought to what I "hope" to get out of my actions, from which it is a short step to focusing on the feelings and sensations involved. But it is more introspective and less direct than simply focusing on feelings and sensations to begin with - also leading the mind towards looking into the associations behind the goal.

Well, perhaps having an alarm on the watch that you have someone else set for you to go off at three or four times during the day (planning it so it will be times when you aren't driving), at which point you stop whatever you are doing, recapitulate your thoughts as far back as you can from that moment, write them down, and write down exactly how you are feeling in your body, and how aware you are, or something like that?

It's not perfect, but it's an interesting exercise nonetheless.

In this regard I sugest this:

Free Stop! Exercise Software Program

Download a free Stop! Exercise program for your computer. Each day when you turn your computer on, the program will start and periodically pop-up to give you the "Stop" command. The program will also present you with a question to Ponder for the day.

Download the Stop! Exercise Software Program _http://endlesssearch.co.uk/download_pondering.htm

http://endlesssearch.co.uk/images/d...inessballs.com/body-language.htm ;) :cool2:

I'm rereading this thread and after reading the following passage:

"If we could connect the centers of our ordinary consciousness with the higher thinking center deliberately and at will, it would be of no use to us whatever in our present general state. In most cases where accidental contact with the higher thinking center takes place a man becomes unconscious. The mind refuses to take in the flood of thoughts, emotions, images, and ideas which suddenly burst into it. And instead of a vivid thought, or a vivid emotion, there results, on the contrary, a complete blank, a state of unconsciousness. The memory retains only the first moment when the flood rushed in on the mind and the last moment when the flood was receding and consciousness returned. But even these moments are so full of unusual shades and colors that there is nothing with which to compare them among the ordinary sensations of life. This is usually all that remains from so-called 'mystical' and 'ecstatic' experiences, which represent a temporary connection with a higher center.

an interesting idea is occurred to me. When we are sleeping and having dreams, our "conscious" mind (speak formatory apparatus) sleeps either what allows the higher emotional and thinking centers to connect with the lowest ones (because our formatory apparatus does not interefere any more and our predator's mind leaves us temporarily out of his prison). So as soon as this connection is enabled we are having dreams some of them are nothing else than results of the work of the higher centers. And that's why our dreams appear to us weird, symbolic, incomprehensible, we can't just understand them, because as soon as we are awake our formatory apparatus is going online (we are returning to our mind's prison) and our lower centers can't interprete the information produced by the higher centers (in contrast to "simple" dreams produced by the moving center)

The mind refuses to take in the flood of thoughts, emotions, images, and ideas which suddenly burst into it.

And that's why it is so important to interprete/write down dreams directly after having been awaked, when we are sleepy yet - it's the time when the formatory apparatus slowly goes online (the predator's mind slowly closes the doors of the prison with us in it). Thus if we more and more develop the conection between our higher and lower centers we will be more able (among others) to better comprehence our dreams.

Does it make any sense? :)

Altair said:

To me, it makes sense logically, but I've noticed a problem I have writing down dreams. I'm never happy with the accuracy of the description and a single dream image can take 10 pages of paper to try and describe and then if I work too hard to document it, the narrative doesn't even have a feeling anymore.

My solution is to write down what my mind was thinking at the intersection where dreaming turns into conscious waking. That works better for me because when I recall what I was thinking at that time, the full dream situation seems to come back undisturbed by any waking attempts at story telling.

Interesting ideas to think about.

Buddy said:
Altair said:

To me, it makes sense logically, but I've noticed a problem I have writing down dreams. I'm never happy with the accuracy of the description and a single dream image can take 10 pages of paper to try and describe and then if I work too hard to document it, the narrative doesn't even have a feeling anymore.

My solution is to write down what my mind was thinking at the intersection where dreaming turns into conscious waking. That works better for me because when I recall what I was thinking at that time, the full dream situation seems to come back undisturbed by any waking attempts at story telling.

Interesting ideas to think about.

I use the similar tactic: I try to interprete, translate some of the dreams ("simple" dreams induced by the moving and sexual centers are easier to understand for us but they are probably of no particular meaning ) into simple terms directly after awaking: where was I, what I was doing and how was I feeling, so that I can better comprehense them in awake state. I found out that I can better remember dreams if I was not under the influence of maliciious electromagnetic waves (silk and mylar offer a good protection against them), probably because in this case my brain waves were not too much disturbed by them.
And I guess that everything we can't grasp in the awake state (dreams, some ancient art masterpieces, tarot) become "symbolic" to us, because it was produced by the higher centers and can't be understood as soon as we don't have stable connection with them.
And perhaps (I'm not sure yet) it is exactly the meaning of the Androgyne myth and the aim of the alchemical Great Work?

from Plato's Symposium
In Plato’s Symposium, Aristophanes delivers his speech in the form of a myth.

A long time ago, there were three kinds of human beings: male, descended from the sun; female, descended from the earth; and androgynous, with both male and female elements, descended from the moon. Each human being was completely round, with four arms and fours legs, two identical faces on opposite sides of a head with four ears, and all else to match. They walked both forwards and backwards and ran by turning cartwheels on their eight limbs, moving in circles like their parents the planets.

As they were powerful and unruly and threatening to scale the heavens, Zeus devised to cut them into two ‘like a sorb-apple which is halved for pickling,’ and even threatened to cut them into two again, so that they might hop on one leg. Apollo then turned their heads to make them face towards their wound, pulled their skin around to cover up the wound, and tied it together at the navel like a purse. He made sure to leave a few wrinkles on what became known as the abdomen so that they might be reminded of their punishment.

After that, human beings longed for their other half so much that they searched for it all over and, when they found it, wrapped themselves around it very tightly and did not let go. As a result, they started dying from hunger and self-neglect, and Zeus took pity on them, and moved their genitals to the front so that those who were previously androgynous could procreate, and those who were previously male could obtain satisfaction and move on to higher things.

This is the origin of our desire for other human beings; those of us who desire members of the opposite sex were previously androgynous, whereas men who desire men and women who desire women were previously male or female. When we find our other half, we are ‘lost in an amazement of love and friendship and intimacy’ that cannot be accounted for by a simple desire for sex, but rather by a desire to be whole again, and restored to our original nature. Our greatest wish, if we could have it, would then be for Hephaestus to melt us into one another so that our souls could be at one, and share in a common fate.

Zeus (speak 4D STS) divided our thinking and emotional centers into two parts: higher and lower to enslave us. And so the idea of the Great Work could be to reunite our lower centers with the higher ones, to develop the stable connection between all the centers (as it was probably the case before the Fall). So it is all about the reunion of the lower and higher centers, which will make us whole, androgyne again and not about the reunion of the male and female energy (perhaps I'm wrong here, not sure)

[quote author=Altair]
And I guess that everything we can't grasp in the awake state (dreams, some ancient art masterpieces, tarot) become "symbolic" to us, because it was produced by the higher centers and can't be understood as soon as we don't have stable connection with them.
[/quote]

If you go through a few of the recommended books or threads in the cognitive psychology board - like Timothy Wilson's "Adaptive Unconscious", Mcranney's "You Are Not So Smart" etc, you will see that we cannot really grasp a lot of things in our "waking state" but instead create narratives or stories to convince ourselves that we do. Dreams do often bring out what we miss in our conscious state in symbolic form. Mostly dreams deal with repressed psychological content. All the desires and instincts we have but do not know of or wish to acknowledge to ourselves, which drive our thoughts and behavior without us being aware of them - these often come up in symbolic form in dreams. Our conscious attitude is often one-sided and the unconscious tries to compensate for this one-sidedness by bringing other aspects which are filtered out by our one-sidedness to our attention through dreams or fantasies. This type of unconscious processing of regular events form the bulk of the dreams we have.

Dreams coming from the "higher centers" are rare occurrences. They are not common - but when they come and we can remember them afterwards, they leave an indelible impression on our minds. They are not concerned with processing of the daily events in our life. Certain types of prophetic dreams perhaps fall in this category.

Thanks obyvatel,

so you mean that the most of our dreams is result of the work of moving/sexual centers (I guess G. mentioned that in ISOTM)? Why we can't remember or understand much of our dreams in awake state? Isn't it because of the interference of the formatory apparatus which is active when we are in the awake state?

Altair said:
so you mean that the most of our dreams is result of the work of moving/sexual centers (I guess G. mentioned that in ISOTM)?

Yes and add the emotional center to the list. It does not work well in conscious waking life for most people and so it plays a corresponding role in the unconscious life through dreams.

[quote author=Altair]
Why we can't remember or understand much of our dreams in awake state? Isn't it because of the interference of the formatory apparatus which is active when we are in the awake state?
[/quote]

I do not know why we cannot remember much of our dreams in the awake state. I would think part of the reason may have to do with the production of certain chemicals in the body - like melatonin for example. That does not mean the formatory apparatus does not play a role - it may well have a goodly share of responsibility especially in the area of not understanding our dreams.

To understand dreams, we need to use symbolic thinking as well as have a broad knowledge of the archetypal symbols and motifs. Our culture and education does not encourage or train us to do this in any systematic way - so we do not understand the "language of dreams" - osit.

Thanks, obyvatel :)

Today I came across about Ouspensky's remark about dreams (from his 4th Way book)

Q. Cannot drugs put us in touch with higher centres?
A. The idea of drugs is not new; drugs were used in ancient and mediaeval times—in ancient Mysteries, in magic and so on. It was found that interesting states result from a clever use of drugs. But the system objects to drugs. The use of drugs does not give good results because drugs cannot affect consciousness, they cannot add consciousness. By stupefying lower centres they can put us into contact with higher centres; but it would be of no use to us, because we can remember only as much as we have consciousness. Since we have no consciousness, connection with higher centres will only result in dreams or in unconsciousness.

To understand dreams, we need to use symbolic thinking as well as have a broad knowledge of the archetypal symbols and motifs. Our culture and education does not encourage or train us to do this in any systematic way - so we do not understand the "language of dreams" - osit.

I study Carl Jung's Man and His Symbols to better understand the archetypes. Nevertheless I think we should be vigilant about our dreams since we know from C's that they could be easily manipulated by our 4D STS "friends" :(

Back
Top Bottom