Suggestions?

SMM

The Living Force
A bit of background:
I live in a shared house with people I've never met & minimal storage space food wise [i.e. shared fridge, limited to 2 cupboards] & have had to rework or find alternatives for mealtimes consequent to the recent rehousing situation. Before I lived in a flat & was slowly implementing changes in diet where appropriate, monitoring effects etc. My diet has been inconsistent since the move, the real problem imo is higher consumption of white rice for two reasons 1) finding no time to cook with exams going on and 2) it's the main thing consumed at my family home so I haven't much option when I visit to eat much else [unless I bring some with me which is what I try to do but this in a roundabout way leads back to reason 1)].

My mum has asked about diet but it's cheaper for her, plus the children [my younger siblings] are more likely to eat, so between waiting for things to subside I wanted to ask if there's any suggestions in optimal cooking/storage e.g. freezing, preserving, amount purchased/cooked etc. I have a crockpot & would like to make bone broth again soon too. Most students I see [in the UK] eat on the go so it feels like a losing battle sometimes.
& the weird looks one may get from the housemates who probably thinks "all she ever cooks is mackarel, bacon or pork chop loins in coconut oil/pork fat" haha :lol:

I know diet impacts a lot.. are there any practical tips in managing such affairs?

With the storage issue you can buy enough food to last you weekly that may help. The thing with broth is time isn't a big deal because it takes a day or two to simmer and you don't have to watch it so make some at the beginning of the week throw some bacon or other meat in at the last moments before the broth's done and take it with you when you're about to leave for family visits so you can avoid the white rice. I'd say making meals based off combining broth with all your other meats and fats would be your best bet. Microwave some pre made broth and meat if you have to. Now as far as the looks you get just remember as long as you're eating the optimal diet then you're winning those battles. ;D

SMM said:
& the weird looks one may get from the housemates who probably thinks "all she ever cooks is mackarel, bacon or pork chop loins in coconut oil/pork fat" haha :lol:

I know diet impacts a lot.. are there any practical tips in managing such affairs?

It's a tough situation you're in when you're trying to stick to the diet with those around you not helping. One option if you're comfortable with it is to say that you've been diagnosed with Celiac Disease or even just gluten sensitivity so have to stick to unusual diet changes that you've been advised. - I've found that effective with work colleagues. Reading up on Strategic enclosure is useful too.

SMM,

I think that this is something you just have to get over - the looks of incredulity and incomprehension, because most people are so imbued with the mainstream food paradigm, that they are unable to listen or to think for themselves. Pob's suggestion (celiac/ gluten intolerance) is a good one, I use it all the time - makes other people comfortable (Oh, so he got a "good reason" for his weird behaviour) and gets you out of the hot seat.

As to your housing arrangements - that's a tough one. If you sterilize bone broth you can keep it unrefrigerated for as long as you wish, but you might have to do this at night or over weekends when the others are away. Bar that my only suggestion would be to look for alternative housing arrangements with less restrictions, if at all feasible - maybe the two need to go in parallel.

I would cut white rice out as much as possible, maybe tell your family that you believe that you developed intolerance to rice (not unheard of ...) and that you are trialling staying off it completely for 3 months. After 3 months everyone is already used to that, so you can easily morph this into something permanent. My other strategy if all else fails is simply to fast - intermittent fasting is a great thing and in my opinion a good "emergency bailout" for impossible food choices - just tell them that you feel a little under the weather and request a cup of tea. Everyone will be most sympathetic to you own "plight" and support you.

Hope that helps!

I have been buying a couple pounds of sausage links and/or sausage patties from a healthy butcher shop, and I fry them up at the beginning of the week. I also have been making a crock pot full of bone broth then along with it. Then I put them in the fridge and warm them up as needed in the microwave. It's cheap and good for you, and I like it. I have been eating it for breakfast and lunch. Then I will usually cook some different meat for dinner. You can also boil some hard boil eggs for the week, and take those with you.

If time is an issue, you might want to get a stainless steel pressure cooker. That'll cook a good number of meals for one pretty quickly - and you could freeze portions too. Another option is getting a pressure canner and processing food. These are often made of aluminum so it's not advisable to cook food directly with the canner, but to cook it via canning jars and you would have more flexibility around storage too since processed jars don't need refrigerating. You might be interested in the preparedness thread if you haven't read it already.

In addition to buying patties if you can find ones without the unknown or questionable ingredients, you could also prepare patties from ground meat (sausage patties or hamburger) and then freeze them for when you don't have time to prepare food. Bacon cooks easily in the oven on a cookie sheet and I've cook plenty of bacon in the microwave too.

I don't spend much time cooking either. I don't even use my oven, just the stove top. Bacon is even quicker to cook than white rice?

My parents still eat a lot of potatoes. The other week I took a little thermos flask of bone broth with me to my parents as part of my meal. If you are getting your energy from bone broth and animal fats, you don't need all that carbohydrate energy from rice as well. You can still partake in the meals at your parents' home, just minus the rice! (Unless it's all mixed in with the other ingredients.) I do that eating out at Turkish restuarants, ordering the Iskender plate minus the rice. In Auckland and Wellington recently, I noticed the Turkish restaurants even had low-carb options advertised on their menus.

For snacks during the day, I often have a few brazil nuts.

SMM I'm in a similar situation as yourself. My family eats a lot of rice, pasta and bread.
So what I did is implement changes where possible - with proper reasearch.
So do what you can for now, cut out what you can. After all even a small change could be better than no change.

Thank you all so much for the helpful input :) I've cut the rice out, it seems some changes have started in my body - feel weak & tired but brain noticeably clearer. Shifting gears from the reduced carb. intake I think.

ajseph 21 said:
With the storage issue you can buy enough food to last you weekly that may help. The thing with broth is time isn't a big deal because it takes a day or two to simmer and you don't have to watch it so make some at the beginning of the week throw some bacon or other meat in at the last moments before the broth's done and take it with you when you're about to leave for family visits so you can avoid the white rice. I'd say making meals based off combining broth with all your other meats and fats would be your best bet. Microwave some pre made broth and meat if you have to. Now as far as the looks you get just remember as long as you're eating the optimal diet then you're winning those battles. ;D

Made bone broth using beef bones, 3 days simmering, & tried throwing other meat/pork scratchings in.. brilliant results :D Moving unplanned didn't give me time to prepare dietwise but it's now at the forefront.

Pob said:
SMM said:

It's a tough situation you're in when you're trying to stick to the diet with those around you not helping. One option if you're comfortable with it is to say that you've been diagnosed with Celiac Disease or even just gluten sensitivity so have to stick to unusual diet changes that you've been advised. - I've found that effective with work colleagues. Reading up on Strategic enclosure is useful too.

The house mates or those not so close I can bypass [Coeliac/gluten sensitivity route]. What about family? My mum & older sister are aware [from being around me] that my diet seems predominantly meat based but they think it's due to my being an extremist [I was a vegetarian for 3 years, did some fasting etc.] & will probably get used to eat in time albeit shocked at no-rice/ugali [African family traditions]. When my sister inquired briefly I alluded to intolerance to grains, dairy & sugar/Paleo diet.

nicklebleu said:
SMM,

I think that this is something you just have to get over - the looks of incredulity and incomprehension, because most people are so imbued with the mainstream food paradigm, that they are unable to listen or to think for themselves. Pob's suggestion (celiac/ gluten intolerance) is a good one, I use it all the time - makes other people comfortable (Oh, so he got a "good reason" for his weird behaviour) and gets you out of the hot seat.

As to your housing arrangements - that's a tough one. If you sterilize bone broth you can keep it unrefrigerated for as long as you wish, but you might have to do this at night or over weekends when the others are away. Bar that my only suggestion would be to look for alternative housing arrangements with less restrictions, if at all feasible - maybe the two need to go in parallel.

I would cut white rice out as much as possible, maybe tell your family that you believe that you developed intolerance to rice (not unheard of ...) and that you are trialling staying off it completely for 3 months. After 3 months everyone is already used to that, so you can easily morph this into something permanent. My other strategy if all else fails is simply to fast - intermittent fasting is a great thing and in my opinion a good "emergency bailout" for impossible food choices - just tell them that you feel a little under the weather and request a cup of tea. Everyone will be most sympathetic to you own "plight" and support you.

Hope that helps!

Liking the under the weather idea! I used to have food anxieties [fasting, restricting then comfort eating] so my mum frequently asks if certain foods are "bad for you". All in all I'd like to get away from that focus & although I'm uncomfortable with not telling them when they ask, it's hard to take in so it's usually dismissed.
I hate the hot seat :P

There's an electrical slow cooker & fan oven I [can] use in my room but frying & grilling calls me into the kitchen. Will need to look into sterilizing bone broth. After searching the net for a bill on storage & handling, I might do a weekly grill/fry of pork/bacon/lamb then put them into two separate airtight opaque containers; one in fridge, one in freezer, heating them when required. Maybe asking if I can put some in family freezer? Leaving things out above certain temperatures can lead to bacterial growth.

Also when I bring food to family home sometimes, it's almost expected for me to share. Why bring it if you aren't planning on sharing? I don't mind sharing but I sure as hell don't like it being expected of me. My housing arrangement, although temporary, enables me to go college - the alternative is my family home [there's a pressure cooker there but it's commonly used].

I'm seeing some strange things in the sky outside as I type this...

ReBecca.S said:
I have been buying a couple pounds of sausage links and/or sausage patties from a healthy butcher shop, and I fry them up at the beginning of the week. I also have been making a crock pot full of bone broth then along with it. Then I put them in the fridge and warm them up as needed in the microwave. It's cheap and good for you, and I like it. I have been eating it for breakfast and lunch. Then I will usually cook some different meat for dinner. You can also boil some hard boil eggs for the week, and take those with you.

Deep or shallow fry?

Renaissance said:
If time is an issue, you might want to get a stainless steel pressure cooker. That'll cook a good number of meals for one pretty quickly - and you could freeze portions too. Another option is getting a pressure canner and processing food. These are often made of aluminum so it's not advisable to cook food directly with the canner, but to cook it via canning jars and you would have more flexibility around storage too since processed jars don't need refrigerating. You might be interested in the preparedness thread if you haven't read it already.

In addition to buying patties if you can find ones without the unknown or questionable ingredients, you could also prepare patties from ground meat (sausage patties or hamburger) and then freeze them for when you don't have time to prepare food. Bacon cooks easily in the oven on a cookie sheet and I've cook plenty of bacon in the microwave too.

Tried to buy a pressure canner from eBay by bank account wouldn't process it [converting from $ to £]. Need to switch banks or find another seller... or both. Thanks for the preparedness thread. It'd be interesting to try cooking bacon in the microwave. Recently been purchasing from butcher at market as ordering requires someone to be in to receive it & daylight finds me on the road. Plus I only have one tray in the freezer.

Mal7 said:
I don't spend much time cooking either. I don't even use my oven, just the stove top. Bacon is even quicker to cook than white rice?

My parents still eat a lot of potatoes. The other week I took a little thermos flask of bone broth with me to my parents as part of my meal. If you are getting your energy from bone broth and animal fats, you don't need all that carbohydrate energy from rice as well. You can still partake in the meals at your parents' home, just minus the rice! (Unless it's all mixed in with the other ingredients.) I do that eating out at Turkish restuarants, ordering the Iskender plate minus the rice. In Auckland and Wellington recently, I noticed the Turkish restaurants even had low-carb options advertised on their menus.

For snacks during the day, I often have a few brazil nuts.

A flask of bone broth - oh I can almost see the electricity price rising. Are pork scratchings decent for a snack? What about sunflower/vegetable oil in meals?

Anthony said:
SMM I'm in a similar situation as yourself. My family eats a lot of rice, pasta and bread.
So what I did is implement changes where possible - with proper reasearch.
So do what you can for now, cut out what you can. After all even a small change could be better than no change.

Any change makes a difference.

SMM said:
It'd be interesting to try cooking bacon in the microwave.

[. . .]

A flask of bone broth - oh I can almost see the electricity price rising. Are pork scratchings decent for a snack? What about sunflower/vegetable oil in meals?

I wouldn't use the microwave. I don't have a reference handy, but various people seem to have suggested microwave ovens may have harmful health effects, or at least that microwaving food may reduce its nutritive value.

I have a small crock pot, about 1 person size. The wattage is 70W on Low, 140W on High. I keep it on Low 24 hours a day most of the time, but that is only about the same electrical usage as 1 non-energy efficient lightbulb. A conventional oven or an electric radiator or fan heater might be 1000W or 2000W by comparison.

The thermos flask itself doesn't use any power of course, you can find them at camping stores. If the weather is cold, it could save you money by avoiding the need to buy something hot somewhere.

Yes I believe pork scratchings, ideally from grass-fed animals, are good for a snack on the Paleo / Low carbohydrate diet. (I haven't tried making them myself.) Sunflower/vegetable seed oils in meals or used as ingredients should be avoided. Coconut oil can be used for cooking. Some olive oil seems to be alright. I found that most of the processed hummus and dips and pesto at the supermarket seemed to have Canola oil in them, but some brands had olive oil.

Have you read Nora T. Gedgaudas' book Primal Body, Primal Mind?

SMM said:
Tried to buy a pressure canner from eBay by bank account wouldn't process it [converting from $ to £]. Need to switch banks or find another seller... or both.

Most sellers accept PayPal, I think it is compulsory to accept PayPal for sellers on the eBay site (eBay owns PayPal). If you have a credit card or a VISA or similar debit card, the seller should be able to send you a PayPal invoice, which you can pay online with your card, without necessarily having to sign up for a PayPal account.

Mal7 said:
Yes I believe pork scratchings from grass-fed animals are good for a snack on the Paleo / Low carbohydrate diet.

Just a slight correction ... pigs don't eat grass alone, they are omnivores. So instead of referring to "grass-fed" as in regards to beef the correct term for pork is "pasture-fed" where pigs can freely roam and dig up roots and small animals and the like.

I think that pigs are much less susceptible to bad food than beef, which need to be on an exclusive grass diet to develop healthy meat. Many pigs are fed grains though, not sure what the impact of grain is on pork meat quality ...

nicklebleu said:
Mal7 said:
Yes I believe pork scratchings from grass-fed animals are good for a snack on the Paleo / Low carbohydrate diet.

Just a slight correction ... pigs don't eat grass alone, they are omnivores. So instead of referring to "grass-fed" as in regards to beef the correct term for pork is "pasture-fed" where pigs can freely roam and dig up roots and small animals and the like.

I think that pigs are much less susceptible to bad food than beef, which need to be on an exclusive grass diet to develop healthy meat. Many pigs are fed grains though, not sure what the impact of grain is on pork meat quality ...

As far as I know, pigs may eat a little bit of wild grains. But if they eat too much grains, the balance of the composition of the fats will shift to high omega 6 and low omega 3. So grain fed or finished pigs are not so great, especially if they're fed industrial agro grains. However, the pig will not be such a sick animal as a cow fed on grains (there will not be the kind of digestive system damage, etc.). You can tell how much a pig has been fed grains -- the more grains, the more the color of the meat turns grey/"white", the less grains, the redder the meat.

Hi SMM. I'm glad things are looking up for you on the diet front.

I can totally relate to your shared-accommodation situation and freezer space. I keep my freezer stocked up with mainly gluten free pasture-fed sausage meat as it's a great space saver.

SMM said:
Thank you all so much for the helpful input :) I've cut the rice out, it seems some changes have started in my body - feel weak & tired but brain noticeably clearer. Shifting gears from the reduced carb. intake I think.

It's definitely worth waiting it out, but if it does get too harsh you can always have a small amount of sweet potato with your meals and gradually reduce it. I've also found intermittent fasting works wonders for burning off that last bit of glucose, and getting you into ketosis.

Good luck with your situation :).

When I'm pressed for time, I fill a thermos with hot broth. Lasts all day. What you don't drink you can pour on top of a sausage or pork chop as it cooks in the pan for dinner. Everything cooks better in broth.

Good advice mentioned above, it's really easy to boil eggs and carry them and little packets of butter around, add salt and pepper, yummy.

Also, slices of prosciutto (ham) with a nice dollop of butter, rolled up and cinched with a toothpick are one way to go.

Don't know about the crock pot, seems like your kitchen situation calls for shorter time in a small space. Pressure cooker takes about an hour and half, two hours. Pour out the first batch of broth into a container and put it in the fridge or freezer, add more water to the pot and make a second batch. In three to four hours you have a weeks worth of broth made from the same bones.

Make homemade butter packets, and when your at the cafes or bars or restaurants or whatever, order a tea, and drop in your butter.

Besides being 'Celiac' you can be a 'poor student' saving for a new computer! :halo:

Back
Top Bottom