Suggestions?

MoonGlow said:
anart said:
MoonGlow said:
What is the objection to eating honey?
Honey is sugar, sugar is problematic at best.
It has been my understanding that if you burn off the sugar at the rate, at which you consume it, it cannot linger in the system and cause problems. When I tun marathons, there's nothing like honey for energy.

MoonGlow,

I think that you need to get up to speed about nutrition and metabolism ...

First up, I don't think that it is a good idea to run marathons, too big a strain on your body, not physiological all. Exercisewise it is wiser to do high-intensity interval, training and excentric resistence training.

Then there are basically two types of metabolism your body can be in: sugar-burning and fat-burning and they are fundamentally different. If you are running a marathon while in sugar-burning mode, honey will be "pefect", but no different as all the gel-packs that litter a marathon course. You will inevitably "hit the proverbial brick wall" - to push trough it you will need to feed sugar to the body and loads of it.

If however you are in fat-burning mode (or ketosis) you are less likely to hti the brick wall, because your body can tap into an almost endless store of fat. However you might not be running the same marathon at your usual pace.

I would suggest you go over the entire thread "Ketogenic Diet - Path to transformation" as well as Nora Gedgaudas book "P rimal Body, Primal Mind". If you are interested in athletics, I suggest Volek & Phinney's " The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance".

I do know that marathons are unhealthy, especially if run competitively. But, I'm young, and want to have a few superhuman feats to my name before my body gives out.

I'm not sure my body really knows how to do ketosis as a primary energy source, yet. I eat primarily meat, but I'm pretty sure I'm just burning the protein for energy rather than converting it to fat and back to energy. I'll have to look into that book.

MoonGlow said:
I do know that marathons are unhealthy, especially if run competitively. But, I'm young, and want to have a few superhuman feats to my name before my body gives out.

If you know that it is unhealthy ... why would you do it?

No-one will care about your "superhuman" feats when the proverbial hits the fan ... but you might then need every spiritual/ psychological AND physical ressource available to pull through times of transition. And that takes a lot of training as far as I can see personally. Makes running a marathon pale in comparison.

Sounds like a superhuman feat to me, if that's what you are after ...

MoonGlow said:

I'm not sure my body really knows how to do ketosis as a primary energy source, yet. I eat primarily meat, but I'm pretty sure I'm just burning the protein for energy rather than converting it to fat and back to energy. I'll have to look into that book.

I'm not sure you understand what the ketogenic diet is. Protein doesn't convert to fat, it converts to glucose. A ketogenic diet is low carb/medium protein/high fat. Eating lots of fat is what it's all about.

It may help for you to read the Ketogenic Diet thread found on this board to understand it.

nicklebleu said:
MoonGlow said:

If you know that it is unhealthy ... why would you do it?

No-one will care about your "superhuman" feats when the proverbial hits the fan ... but you might then need every spiritual/ psychological AND physical ressource available to pull through times of transition. And that takes a lot of training as far as I can see personally. Makes running a marathon pale in comparison.

Sounds like a superhuman feat to me, if that's what you are after ...
I'm young. I'm still in a phase of figuring out where my limits are. Hopefully, by the time that phase has passed and I settle into a healthy medium, the apocalypse won't have already happened (as if it isn't happening). I'm also pretty stubborn in that I don't often trust the opinions of others regarding what my personal limits can or should be. I believe in the infinite potential of the human mind to make the human body do extraordinary things.

My main objection to marathon running is actually social, not health-oriented. I think it's a waste of energy that produces nothing of substance. All that energy could be spent plowing fields, delivering messages, building things. Me, I just want to be trained up so I can outrun assailants and dogs.

MoonGlow said:
Hopefully, by the time that phase has passed and I settle into a healthy medium, the apocalypse won't have already happened (as if it isn't happening). I'm also pretty stubborn in that I don't often trust the opinions of others regarding what my personal limits can or should be. I believe in the infinite potential of the human mind to make the human body do extraordinary things.

In that case all I can tell you is ... Godspeed!

:)

Nienna said:
I'm not sure you understand what the ketogenic diet is. Protein doesn't convert to fat, it converts to glucose. A ketogenic diet is low carb/medium protein/high fat. Eating lots of fat is what it's all about.

My head & body have been a funny sort of place. Talk about gut-brain connection!

Well, first thing I think is worth noting has to do with gastrointestinal malabsorption, low stomach acid & lack of digestive enzymes. For the past few weeks doing anything particularly sleeping has been unbearable - regardless of which way I toss or turn. I typically try to eat less than 3 hours before retreating into bed but I have found myself staying up until unholy hours as a result of severe discomfort. It got to the point where I thought, since I can't sleep, I may as well read & would stay up until dawn doing that.

This situation may be related to three years of vegetarianism & an accident which drastically affected digestive system leading to abnormalities of the gut wall. I've been 'testing' with foods & noting trends.
Typically upon consuming animal fats, I experience abdominal distension & constipation. When I add a slice of lemon/lime to a glass of water, it seemed to induce bowel movement [diarrhoea & steatorrhea] & effect heartburn/abdominal discomfort severity. Without this acidic touch, I usually have to wait until I get sneezing fits so severe my chest feels as though it is going to jump out or apply hot water bottle/ice pack to have a bowel movement. After diarrhoea, I feel so hungry which reiterates the cycle. My skin has become unusually dry & coarse & any form of exercise wears me down.

Diet, reading & downsizing/getting rid of some belongings have been of primary focus since moving & finishing exams. It's been almost unbearable to function, extremely hard to focus on anything & frequent memory lapses problems come about [I spent last week predominantly alone & felt unnaturally overtaken with the state of inertia - self-remembering/self-observation sort of feels disorienting]. I have ordered digestive enzymes with ox bile but these may take a week or so to arrive - really need to get the systems going to prevent malnutrition - so I plan to look around some local health food store to see if there's anything there & get some tests done.

The only time I am able to sleep somewhat is after bodywork [deep tissue massage] or up until the point I am so tired, I have no choice but to sleep. The latter is often short lived as I'm unable to return to sleep should I wake up. I have come across people who have similar issues to lesser or greater extremities which speaks volumes about the modern diet(s)/lifestyle.

Will continue to read & seek all that I am able to. Does anyone have any recommendations, of whatever form they may take, on quietening the gut (as pertinent to high fat consumption)?

Not sure what you have already done, but healing the gut probably takes precedence over moving to a VLC diet in your case. If not already done I would do a complete elimination diet, maybe starting with rice (or anything you think that that might work well) only and then building up foods while monitoring your body's responses.

The other thing is moving to a VLC diet takes time (3 - 6 weeks) and this time will be unpleasant and you will ezperience many nasty symptoms, but these will go away if you stick to it.

Also very important to read the enrire Ketogenic Diet thread ...

But you may already have done that.

nicklebleu said:
Not sure what you have already done, but healing the gut probably takes precedence over moving to a VLC diet in your case. If not already done I would do a complete elimination diet, maybe starting with rice (or anything you think that that might work well) only and then building up foods while monitoring your body's responses.

The other thing is moving to a VLC diet takes time (3 - 6 weeks) and this time will be unpleasant and you will ezperience many nasty symptoms, but these will go away if you stick to it.

Did the elimination diet gradually starting from summer last year, getting rid of gluten - at that time I wasn't as well read on the subject so have been learning as I go, without trying to rush the transition. For example whilst I still consumed dairy, egg would give me adverse reactions but after going dairy free, I seem to be able to eat it okay. Rice was the last grain I got rid of.

I've been on a VLC diet for 7 weeks & symptoms do seem to be easing [can sit at the laptop & type without feeling nauseous/laying down]. It would have been beneficial for me to have gotten the digestive enzymes prior to VLC though, guess that's how we learn.

Reading over KD, Life without Bread, The Vegetarian Myth, "Sluggish" Liver issues, Hemochromatosis & Autoimmune Conditions threads - currently working through LwB but have looked at sections of the other threads. Have also been following up articles on SOTT & Health Matrix re: diet & health since I began last year. Nora's PMPB too. Okay, lots of reading...

SMM said:
nicklebleu said:

Did the elimination diet gradually starting from summer last year, getting rid of gluten - at that time I wasn't as well read on the subject so have been learning as I go, without trying to rush the transition. For example whilst I still consumed dairy, egg would give me adverse reactions but after going dairy free, I seem to be able to eat it okay. Rice was the last grain I got rid of.

I've been on a VLC diet for 7 weeks & symptoms do seem to be easing [can sit at the laptop & type without feeling nauseous/laying down]. It would have been beneficial for me to have gotten the digestive enzymes prior to VLC though, guess that's how we learn.

Reading over KD, Life without Bread, The Vegetarian Myth, "Sluggish" Liver issues, Hemochromatosis & Autoimmune Conditions threads - currently working through LwB but have looked at sections of the other threads. Have also been following up articles on SOTT & Health Matrix re: diet & health since I began last year. Nora's PMPB too. Okay, lots of reading...

SMM, seems you are doing fine and maybe you just need to hang in there. For instance it took me about 6 months to overcome digestive problems after going fully keto. Now reflux and nausea are completely gone.

Another thing I forgot to mention and that I think may mKe a huge difference is resistance training. I think that the right type of sports (eccentric resistance training +/- high-intensity interval training) is vastly underestimated in its health effects. Mainstream mdicine basically reduces sports down to burning calories and thus OVERestimates its effects on wheightloss. But I think that the main benefits are rather on the cellular level and less on the cosmetic side.

So I would recommend (if not already done) to buy an appropriately sized kettle bell and get that baby swingin' ...

nicklebleu said:
Another thing I forgot to mention and that I think may mKe a huge difference is resistance training. I think that the right type of sports (eccentric resistance training +/- high-intensity interval training) is vastly underestimated in its health effects. Mainstream mdicine basically reduces sports down to burning calories and thus OVERestimates its effects on wheightloss. But I think that the main benefits are rather on the cellular level and less on the cosmetic side.

So I would recommend (if not already done) to buy an appropriately sized kettle bell and get that baby swingin' ...

I agree with the benefits of resistance training but not convinced about the safety of kettle bells - especially if starting out. I'm more in the dumbbell camp and agree with Laura in the Kettle bell training thread:
Laura said:
I don't think there is anything that can be better than just a good weight-lifting work-out with both free weights and gym machines.

Pob said:
nicklebleu said:

I agree with the benefits of resistance training but not convinced about the safety of kettle bells - especially if starting out. I'm more in the dumbbell camp and agree with Laura in the Kettle bell training thread:
Laura said:
I don't think there is anything that can be better than just a good weight-lifting work-out with both free weights and gym machines.

The trick with Kettle bells is to start with low weights - most people overdo it at the start and then develop joint and muscle problems.

Digestive enzymes did the trick.
Not sure whether I can comment on my mind, there's quite a lot floating around there, but something significant has happened somewhere along the line. Taking digestive enzymes, my body seems to have so much more energy & adapts well to tasks.

Eating out with family/friends has been a whole new experience, which I think I'm just going to pass on in the future. As I spend a lot of time with my sister, she is aware of 'changes' [i.e. increased consumption of meat & fish, was there during malabsorption symptoms] & sometimes when I say 'I'm not hungry', she will infer 'I only eat meat'. She once exclaimed this to friends which was a little OTT.

Physical activity is something I want to get into more, haven't done interval or resistance training for a few years.
Cycling, dancing & walking are the main forms of exercises I get - could do interval training with cycling. Would be interested in heading to a gym, using weight training machines or getting some free weights but I'm going to take it slow for a while.
I think I'm very much going to enjoy reading Primal Mind, Primal Body.

Looking into what fat-protein ratio is appropriate according to weight first. That would help with the grocery shopping :lol:
Thank you Pob & nicklebleu :)

Hi SMM

Do you sleep in a totally blacked out room?

That may help your sleep a little while you're going through a tough patch

Good luck :)

Immersion said:
Hi SMM

Do you sleep in a totally blacked out room?

That may help your sleep a little while you're going through a tough patch

Good luck :)

Room isn't totally blacked out. Living situation means I have to be careful as to how I go about achieving a blackout, such as draping appropriate material over windows.

There's the book Lights Out I would like to look at which deals with this topic & a related thread here that I have scanned through.
My problem with sleeping may be due to hot flushes, possibly hormonal changes plus the weather is quite warm.

Back
Top Bottom