Suggestions?

Update: My sleeping has improved greatly. I was thinking of getting black felt & sewing it behind the curtains that I could then tie when I draw them at night, which limits the light coming through.
A new lamp for dim lighting too.

The muscles in my body are processing exercise, via dance & using own body weight, done these past few weeks - threw a cold shower or two in, the weather being favourable. Paying attention to protein intake & intermittent fasting has made me realise a program that associates 'food with comfort' in the sense of stimulating pleasure/reward systems & providing nurturance. More prevalent when experiencing perceived distress or anticipating.
At times I get pangs of pain in my upper right abdominal region & this may have something to do with eggs. I had eliminated them up until a few days ago & that's when the pain started. It's not the first time I've had such sensations after consuming eggs so they are probably worth eliminating permanently.
Getting some pork back fat from Devon Rose soon all being well - none of the butchers I've asked around has pork skin.

I seem to harbour some resistance to doing resistance exercises at the gym... 5 years ago I used to fast daily, drinking water or an energy drink some days, & after school would head to the gym & do very vigorous weight resistance & interval training to ascertain maximum 'benefit'. Intentions were twofold: weight loss & increase in muscle mass. Back then I had free access to the gym. This went on for a while, taken to such excesses that food & physical activity were all that mattered. If I wasn't restricting or physically active my time was ill-spent.
I don't mind spending money for gym, plus am considering saving up for a pull-up bar that can be attached to a door, yet I wouldn't like to get into that obsessive mind-set again. Every time I think about resistance training on machines I remember those days which seem unnatural now. Being mindful of it & having different intentions means the experience might be different - it's just getting over the initial inertia, or the idea that I'll be torturing my body like I felt I did then.

The gym is just one part. Another was including contortionist-type stretches in using body weight, starting lightly.

Very much enjoying this diet journey :cool:

SMM said:
Update: My sleeping has improved greatly. I was thinking of getting black felt & sewing it behind the curtains that I could then tie when I draw them at night, which limits the light coming through.

I've done this recently, and have found I've been having the best sleeps ever. Although I'm going to save for one of those wake up lights, as I can sleep in for far too long since no light comes through.
_http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-SUNRISE-WAKE-UP-LIGHT-DIGITAL-DESK-ALARM-CLOCK-NATURE-NATURAL-SOUNDS-SAD-/360600436323?pt=UK_Alarmclocks&hash=item53f575fe63

I also used some cheap blackout material to stick on my windows at night, I'll link this too in case you don't spot a better deal.
_http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180912654260?var=480167853809&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

SMM said:
I seem to harbour some resistance to doing resistance exercises at the gym... 5 years ago I used to fast daily, drinking water or an energy drink some days, & after school would head to the gym & do very vigorous weight resistance & interval training to ascertain maximum 'benefit'. Intentions were twofold: weight loss & increase in muscle mass. Back then I had free access to the gym. This went on for a while, taken to such excesses that food & physical activity were all that mattered. If I wasn't restricting or physically active my time was ill-spent.
I don't mind spending money for gym, plus am considering saving up for a pull-up bar that can be attached to a door, yet I wouldn't like to get into that obsessive mind-set again. Every time I think about resistance training on machines I remember those days which seem unnatural now. Being mindful of it & having different intentions means the experience might be different - it's just getting over the initial inertia, or the idea that I'll be torturing my body like I felt I did then.

The gym is just one part. Another was including contortionist-type stretches in using body weight, starting lightly.

I've had similar experiences with the gym, I got into it too much and realised I was spending WAY too much energy on something that should really only be serving the purpose to maintain your energy levels and detox yourself at times.

I'm glad thing are going well for you SMM, keep up the good work! :)

Immersion said:
SMM said:

I've had similar experiences with the gym, I got into it too much and realised I was spending WAY too much energy on something that should really only be serving the purpose to maintain your energy levels and detox yourself at times.

Easily done. I too have a tenancy to over do it when it comes to exercise :(. Certainly SMM, being aware of ones own tendency will help limit that but I'd imagine it will be difficult to control once those endorphins kick in. Maybe setting a strict schedule with more rest days than you'd want might help to begin with?

Immersion said:
SMM said:

I've done this recently, and have found I've been having the best sleeps ever. Although I'm going to save for one of those wake up lights, as I can sleep in for far too long since no light comes through.
_http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-SUNRISE-WAKE-UP-LIGHT-DIGITAL-DESK-ALARM-CLOCK-NATURE-NATURAL-SOUNDS-SAD-/360600436323?pt=UK_Alarmclocks&hash=item53f575fe63

I also used some cheap blackout material to stick on my windows at night, I'll link this too in case you don't spot a better deal.
_http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180912654260?var=480167853809&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

SMM said:

Thanks for the links Immersion!
I spent the weekend with my family - taking a trip out with two friends. Whilst at my family home protein restriction became much harder. In fact reading the KD thread & changing habits has bought up a lot of programs & memories related to food/exercise.
There is something related to punishment attached there... I can't fully explain it right - pleasure/pain/guilt principles, anger turned inward, when you know you shouldn't be doing what you're doing before/whilst you're doing it but since you've started, you may as well finish. Add that to people asking why I ate so little, have lost weight [despite eating fats] & lectures of how meat almost exclusively isn't sufficient fuel...

This week the plan is to get some kitchen scales & a blender.

SMM said:

I suggest a vintage Osterizer from Ebay. We have one from the 60's that's 825W. The jars and blades and everything are still sold. Some are pretty fancy with knobs and auto-pulse controls. Modern Osterizers are 650W at most, so an 800W or up from Ebay is a steal.

SMM said:
I spent the weekend with my family - taking a trip out with two friends. Whilst at my family home protein restriction became much harder. In fact reading the KD thread & changing habits has bought up a lot of programs & memories related to food/exercise.
There is something related to punishment attached there... I can't fully explain it right - pleasure/pain/guilt principles, anger turned inward, when you know you shouldn't be doing what you're doing before/whilst you're doing it but since you've started, you may as well finish. Add that to people asking why I ate so little, have lost weight [despite eating fats] & lectures of how meat almost exclusively isn't sufficient fuel...

Are you saying you break the diet in a serious way due to cravings, or you just eat too much protein? Either way, the best way I've found to protect against it is to eat enough fat that the thought of more food isn't appealing. We also have the whole food=comfort thing programmed into us as humans naturally, and I wouldn't expect to get rid of that any time soon. When I get stressed my body still sometimes screams for something sweet, but instead I give it bone broth, and hey-presto the stress is gone :)

Carlise said:
SMM said:

Are you saying you break the diet in a serious way due to cravings, or you just eat too much protein? Either way, the best way I've found to protect against it is to eat enough fat that the thought of more food isn't appealing. We also have the whole food=comfort thing programmed into us as humans naturally, and I wouldn't expect to get rid of that any time soon. When I get stressed my body still sometimes screams for something sweet, but instead I give it bone broth, and hey-presto the stress is gone :)

Just eat too much protein... around others or when I haven't bought bone broth/fats with me. This then leads to 'protein cravings', wanting to eat more.
I spent last week predominantly alone - had no problem getting adequate fats & IF eating a decent breakfast but had to throw away some broth that had been in the fridge for a long time (should have put it in the freezer). When I went over family home I took some pork drippings with me. Aside from that, there was nothing edible per se. I had oven-prepared fish, chicken breast, eggs & prawn. I was checking the protein content as I did which showed how protein packed most poultry foods are.
We're having dinner at a family friend's now; same dillema. Quite full from earlier so can do without. It's mostly around family where I feel eating as they do is expected of me.
How much fat is enough? The 3-4:1 fat to protein ratio, 1g (between 0.9g-1.2g) per 1kg of body weight, would put me between 45g-50g of protein. So anywhere between 135g-200g of good fat, which foods are either scarce of or contain dairy/some other nasty product unless purchased from a high quality source.

'Traditional' food is considered quite highly. A part of me feels sad in upsetting tradition but it's irrelevant in this context perhaps. There was a course I wanted to do but have chosen to take the week off to sort out & read through more diet material. I think it would be easier if I was going college as there would be less 'idle hours' to fill... no pun intended.
Got some pork back fat, pork bones for broth, middle cut bacon, lard & weighing scales. Don't crave sweet things much, more savoury things & poultry/animal skin (i.e. fish skin, chicken skin, pork skin).

My body is getting into a comfortable balance & I feel much more stable, provided I don't eat foods that result in cravings.
I find it much more reliable if I eat something knowing how it was prepared, or prepared by myself. After a few trials, I think I'm becoming better in foreseeing what isn't going to go down well.

At my family home, lamb chops are frequently oven made. They are high in protein & often seasoned with herbs. I tried them but found it is better if I don't consume any, instead getting pork belly, bones &/or lard delivered [there's a pressure cooker here which is good for fast broth making] or bringing these with me.
Pork belly & back fat, with sea salt, ginger & plenty of fats, fill me up quite satisfactory & don't leave any cravings. After a certain hour, I can probably do with water & broth, added salts/fats as necessary, until lights out. One thing I'm not sure about is butter, wary of dairy or ingredients thus have stayed away from that. Getting some turmeric or garlic might be in store in the future but, as of now, I'm letting my body adjust to the current consumption rate.

One thing that triggers an appetite when I wake up, I've found, is keto-breath, white-coated tongue & a kind of discomfort in the legs. Usually fades after I move my legs around somewhat or do some stretches/resistance exercises using variation WRT body parts worked on alternate days.

Right now I think doing Beatha less & taking less supplements daily is a good next step; NAC, L-glutamine, magnesium, potassium, omega-3. Listening to my body to see when other supplements may be required - from reading vitamin C & GABA are probably on that list. Been preparing for college, takes time from reading but will continue at a comfortable pace - now that I feel a lot more settled with the logistics.

The changes in diet have helped me significantly thus far over the year & a few months of implementing them. One profound benefit has been emotionally/psychologically osit but not limited to & probably in cohort with other changes.

I would like to thank everyone once again, all support & input has been a motivating force - truly appreciated :hug:
Onwards :scooter:

Concerning diet, what books and threads have you read so far? Isn't a white-coated tongue a sign of yeast or a bacterial infection?

Back
Top Bottom