Suicides in the air?

Scottie

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
So, a weird thing happened today.

We were sitting at breakfast, and Laura got another new book to read for her research/writing project. The title was "Studies of [SOMETHING]". Andromeda read the title as "Suicides of [SOMETHING]".

This struck me as rather interesting, because just 2 days ago, I was reading an article, and my brain sort of automatically replaced a word in the article with "suicide", which caused me to stop, rewind, and reread.

Then Possibility of Being told me 2 minutes later that while translating something, she accidentally translated some word into "suicide". This made the sentence incomprehensible, which she later discovered and went, "Huh?!"

Now, none of us are feeling suicidal, so it was an especially interesting coincidence that it happened to 3 people within a matter of days.

Then suddenly I remembered the recent banker "suicides"...

Is it some kind of beaming going on? Or maybe some kind of mass subconscious warning? I mean, I imagine if things get bad, there will be a LOT of people offing themselves, unfortunately. Maybe people are really feeling "it" coming. Or maybe it is some kind of beaming to activate something in some people, and the rest of us just receive it as "word processing errors".

:huh:

Has anybody else noticed this particular brain error (or something similar) lately?

No, I didn't noticed something similar, but thanks for bringing this to our attention, Scott.

Well... about 9 days back, I was walking by the side of a river that was somewhat swollen though not flooding. For some weird reason as I was staring into the water, I felt the keen urge to jump in!! Don't know why. Needless to say, I didn't!

The urge quickly disappeared once I tore myself from the side of the river and continued my journey home. Haven't thought of it since till I read your post.

Now that you mention it... there were some instances of odd "word processing errors" that I got while reading Secret History from Laura.

But nothing to do with suicide. Can't remember the exact words though. I will try to keep a more vigilant eye for those.

Brain errors/word processing errors, yes, but not this one in particular.

Mr Scott said:
I mean, I imagine if things get bad, there will be a LOT of people offing themselves, unfortunately.

Indeed. But, from what I see around me every day, people are already offing themselves: with their diet, their addictions, their choices, their lifestyle, their behaviour. It is already happening. They're offing themselves. They're just doing it slowly.

(End of gloomy rant :lol:)

Um yeah, the subject of suicide has popped up in the past few days among myself and a couple of close friends.
As well, after reading the thread on SRT and listening to the SOTT radio interview with Ms. Hayes and (dang, I forget his name, must be early onset of Alzheimers, lol), I reflected on whether or not suicide might be a viable option for myself if I was to experience chronic pain or paralysis that would leave me bedridden.

Funny you should mention this, last few days references to the movie Virgin Suicides keep cropping up in most unlikely sources, this happened so many times that i thought - whats up with this. And now you mentioned it too. Indeed - whats up with this?

Hmm. Interesting. I haven't had any with suicide, but I did have a couple of "word processing errors" in the last few days reading. But I put it down to having read too much and needing a break. But this doesn't happen usually, so I don't know.

Also, it could be a combination of some kind of beaming and some kind of mass subconscious warning - they're not necessarily mutually exclusive. Interesting to see what other clues might develop from this.

I also had misread another words as 'suicide' at least twice in couple of weeks. Now I remembered it as you mentioned it. Intetesting coincidence... :huh:

Hi luke wilson

Well... about 9 days back, I was walking by the side of a river that was somewhat swollen though not flooding. For some weird reason as I was staring into the water, I felt the keen urge to jump in!! Don't know why. Needless to say, I didn't!

The urge quickly disappeared once I tore myself from the side of the river and continued my journey home. Haven't thought of it since till I read your post.

Reminds me of something I once read, sailors of old having a compulsion to jump overboard in to the ocean. Calenture I think it was called. Hallucinations as the result of some kind of fever, they imagined the seas to be open fields or other equally appealing things.

Not the same as you describe, I know, but what you said reminded me of it.

Here's something about it from the the net...
http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-cal4.htm

My last word on it, I promise!

But I saw this to

Calenture is a behavioural phenomenon, the predominant symptom being an irresistible impulse of sailors to jump into the sea from their vessels. The original description of this phenomenon was that of ancient Spanish sailors. Psychiatric descriptions of calenture appeared in the 18th and 19th centuries; subsequent psychiatric literature has, however, made no direct reference to calenture. This article describes calenture from a historical and clinical perspective, with discussion of the phenomenon in terms of modern psychological understanding. Some implications are considered, including the possible association with the nautical term 'missing at sea'.

I read about it when I was about 10 or 11 and it scared me - so it kinda stuck!

I haven't experienced any oddities or 'word processing errors' related to suicide. Interesting though. I wonder what if anything is going on..

Now, none of us are feeling suicidal, so it was an especially interesting coincidence that it happened to 3 people within a matter of days.

Then suddenly I remembered the recent banker "suicides"...

Is it some kind of beaming going on? Or maybe some kind of mass subconscious warning? I mean, I imagine if things get bad, there will be a LOT of people offing themselves, unfortunately. Maybe people are really feeling "it" coming. Or maybe it is some kind of beaming to activate something in some people, and the rest of us just receive it as "word processing errors".

:huh:

Has anybody else noticed this particular brain error (or something similar) lately?

Quite a bit.

Around here, this stems from people being 'cabin fevered'...unable to go outside or travel due to bad weather. Tempers are shorter when it is possible to get out and do shopping etc, people snap at one another, and behave in ways that are not usual. All of my neighbors mention they are sick of snow, and that 'the winter blues' are making things rough.

I've seen mothers bundled up for the low temps taking their younger than a year old babies outside without coats, hats, or shoes....and older people wearing shorts and sandals, as if wearing summer clothes will make it warmer outside. :rolleyes:

After an ice storm predicted this evening, its supposed to warm up to the mid to upper 50's F, and that might help.

SeekinTruth said:
Hmm. Interesting. I haven't had any with suicide, but I did have a couple of "word processing errors" in the last few days reading. But I put it down to having read too much and needing a break. But this doesn't happen usually, so I don't know.

Same here - no suicide, but a few "word processing errors."

Back
Top Bottom