Keto recipes

Darek said:
100g Butter (room temp.)
5 Egg yolks
1tsp Xylitol
1tsp Cinnamon
0,5tsp Grounded nutmeg

Mix yolks with xylitol, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add butter and mix it well again.

Total: 120g fat, 10 carbs, 12 protein

Unless you're absolutely sure you're using the Ceylon variety, you might want to cut back on the cinnamon:

_http://cinnamonvogue.com/blog/coumarin-in-cassia-cinnamon/

Coumarin is a toxic, fragrant chemical compound commonly found in high concentration in Cassia Cinnamon the cheap hard Cinnamon sticks you find at your local grocery store. If you have liver disease, damage or failure, check to see if you have been consuming high levels of Cassia Cinnamon or Cassia Cinnamon based products.

Type of Cinnamon Coumarin Content
Ceylon Cinnamon, True Cinnamon. Mexican Cinnamon0.017 g/kg
Indonesian Cinnamon, Korintje Cinnamon, Padang Cassia2.15 g/kg
Saigon cinnamon, Vietnamese cassia. Vietnamese cinnamon6.97 g/kg
Cassia Cinnamon or Chinese Cinnamon0.31 g/kg

Even the next best already has about 18x the amount coumarin than Ceylon.

Laura
I gotta tell ya, the Fat Bomb is THE BOMB! It needs to be handled with care; eaten in small portions, and never late in the day. Even I've been having to take extra Betaine Hcl with it! But, for those of us who have been really not able to get the required fat in a day, it's a blessing. In one dish, I can get it all and the only other things I eat in the day are my small portion of protein and maybe a bit of veggie. Best part is, I'm not hungry - ever.

SO TRUE! I made some last week and just finished the last bit yesterday. At first I ate too much at a time, between a half cup to a cup, and although I digested it well, any more than that I felt some indigestion--like I've eaten something too rich. It is the most delicious appetite controller I've ever eaten--a third of a cup of Fat Bomb Custard and a cup of tea feels like I just ate a plate of bacon and eggs with butter or a big steak. Even just a heaping tablespoon when I am on the run and don't have time to eat makes me feel full and satisfied.
I also find I am eating less at my other meals.

It is an amazing addition to the menu for low carb high fat eaters.
Thanks again Laura :lol:

Laura said:
I gotta tell ya, the Fat Bomb is THE BOMB! It needs to be handled with care; eaten in small portions, and never late in the day. Even I've been having to take extra Betaine Hcl with it! But, for those of us who have been really not able to get the required fat in a day, it's a blessing. In one dish, I can get it all and the only other things I eat in the day are my small portion of protein and maybe a bit of veggie. Best part is, I'm not hungry - ever.

I've been having these fat bombs for about a week now, one per day, and I very much agree with the above. If there was a way to work protein and maybe some phytonutrients into it, it could almost be a recipe for paleo/keto soylent. :lol:

whitecoast said:
Laura said:

I've been having these fat bombs for about a week now, one per day, and I very much agree with the above. If there was a way to work protein and maybe some phytonutrients into it, it could almost be a recipe for paleo/keto soylent. :lol:

Yeah! But I just have my meaty breakfast and a piece of meat and a little veggie later in the day and that's it. Really saves money on food!

Is there a reason to prefer coconut cream over coconut milk? I have both (Whole Foods 365 milk and Native Forest cream), and the fat content appears the same for 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons or 60mL.

I was about to say that Let's Do organic creamed coconut has 6 times the fat per tablespoon, but then I also realized it has 14 times the carbs, so that's a no go.

I should have put the following post here in this thread:

LQB said:
Gaby said:
Also, the recipes are looking good, but if some of you have special ways of preparing fatty meats (i.e. in the oven), that would be nice to have. More numbers for recipes that are lacking it to make sure how much protein, fat and carbs they have (i.e. the liver paté).

Here is a combo recipe for a beef liver pate and a slow-cooked beef dish. I like to combine a dollop of each in a bowl and warm it up to produce a very tasty thick stew that has very high fat content. When you stir it up a bit, the fat mixes well so its not like you are slurping up pure fat. The fat/protein/carb content will depend on what you actually use, but even with the onion added, the per serving carb content will be very low.

Beef Liver Pate

1-1 ½ lbs beef liver
1lb beef heart (Head Cheese from US Wellness) or other organs
1lb liverwurst or braunswieger or other organs
1 ½ - 2lbs ground beef
1 package bacon
4 cups lard or bacon fat (rendered)
1 med onion
2 TBL dried garlic granules
2 TBL salt
Ground nutmeg to taste
2 Tsp dried thyme
½ Tsp dried Dill
1 Tsp dried Sage
2 Tsp ground pepper

• Grind the bacon in a processor to a paste (wash the processor before use below)
• Begin cooking the bacon in the fat/lard in a large pot
• Cut the liver/organ meats into ¼ to ½ inch pieces and add to pot
• Add all other meat to the pot
• Cook on Med-Low slowly for about 1 to 1 ½ hr
• Remove from heat and let the pot cool to warm
• Put cut up onion (or onion powder) and spices in clean food processor and grind to a paste
• Add meat/fat mixture from pot and grind until smooth
• Transfer ground mixture to a large bowl
• Grind all the meat fat and transfer to the bowl
• Mix the bowl well and transfer to the fridge
• Done – this will keep in the fridge for many weeks

Beef Roast – Slow Cooked

5 Packages beef short ribs OR 3-4 lb chuck roast
1 Qt Bone broth (including fat)
1 ½ TBL low-sugar berry preserves
2 TBL apple cider vinegar
2 TBL Nama Shoyu soy sauce (organic, unpasteurized, fermented) – OR – add salt
2 Med onions (optional)
Dried garlic granules
Extra beef tallow 1 ½ cups (optional)

• Sprinkle the meat with garlic granules
• In the slow cooker pot, mix broth, vinegar, soy sauce, preserves
• Arrange meat in pot so that it is covered in the broth
• Add extra tallow and quartered onions on top
• Cook on LOW overnight
• Allow to cool
• Remove meat from bones/grizzle, return to pot, mix, and put pot (covered) in fridge
• Should stay good in the fridge for 2 weeks or freeze excess for later

I sent this combo recipe to WAPF's Sally Fallon for a new cookbook she is working on.

hlat said:
Is there a reason to prefer coconut cream over coconut milk? I have both (Whole Foods 365 milk and Native Forest cream), and the fat content appears the same for 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons or 60mL.

I was about to say that Let's Do organic creamed coconut has 6 times the fat per tablespoon, but then I also realized it has 14 times the carbs, so that's a no go.

I've had success using just coconut milk with the keto custard recipe. I simmer it until it reduces to about 1/2 - that removes most of the water and creates the creaminess you want. :) As for the fat content of coconut milk/cream, you can always add more fat or butter to compensate if it's lacking. The coconut itself is just used to increase the palatability of the rest of the fat.

I was making some calculations, and the coconut cream custard has around 9-10 grams of protein per serving:

Coconut cream= 9 grams of protein per cup.
Egg yolk = around 2.7 grams of protein per each large egg yolk.

Give or take depending on how much egg yolks per serving and their size.

Laura said:

When we passed around the table a glass of fat bomb, I had four spoons and felt full, and wasn't even hungry at all on the next day. I had a glass full two days ago and I'm still full and still got the energy. It was amazing. Definitely a recipe I'll make on my own.

Anyone wanting to experiment with a very nice combination of flavors for the fat bomb, try: ground cardamom with a dash of rose water.

I really like this flavor as it reminds me of a Persian creamy dessert called ''Ferni''. I was too impatient to let it cool in the fridge, so I'm eating it right away, very yummy. :)

The girls just made another winner. Rather plain meatballs, cooked in deep fat, then put into a big wok type pan and coconut milk with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper poured over and simmered for a bit. Just wonderful!

If you all haven't tried pork jowl, it's an absolute divine fatty dish. Jowl is also used for a type of bacon, and some chefs prefer it since the fat has a smoother texture. Braising it really softens it up and brings out the flavor. Below is a recipe I had posted a little while ago. Some of the steps aren't absolutely necessary (brining, chilling and pressing it add on a bit of time for preparation and can be done without).

Renaissance said:
I recently came across pork jowl and have cooked it a couple of different ways. Braising it, searing it and then roasting it makes a really delicious dish. Some butchers may consider the jowl the 'cheek' but you want the cut that includes much of the neck. It's incredibly fatty and will weigh roughly 3-5 pounds uncooked. I've never seen it in a regular grocery store and have been getting it directly from a local pastured pig farm. An extra bonus is that few people buy this cut around here and so it's one of the cheaper cuts too.

I've been wet curing it in a brine in the fridge for a few day first. But this step isn't necessary.

3 pork jowls cut into 2 or 3 oz pieces (you can just use the whole jowl but I like to cut it up in 2-3oz pieces first so each portion gets fried later)
1 head garlic
1 onion
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon peppercorns
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons thyme

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Place the meat, garlic, onion, thyme, bay leaves, and peppercorns in a high-sided ovenproof pan with enough room for the jowls to move around and add water or stock. I don't completely immerse the jowls, but some recipes do call for covering it to one inch. A dutch oven won't require full immersion but other types of pots may. Cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid and braise for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or until a paring knife slides through the meat easily.

Remove the jowls from the liquid, place cuts on plates. Press the jowls with an additional plate and a heavy pot on top and refrigerate overnight.

Season the jowls liberally on both sides with salt and plenty of cracked black pepper. Heat lard in a pan over high heat and sear the jowls for 5 minutes with the fatty side down. Pop the pan in the oven and roast for an additional 5 minutes, or until crispy, golden, and heated through.

I tried a first batch of coconut cream custard and it was a catastrophe. The taste is good but the texture is godawful, very "granular". Maybe I applied too much heat, maybe I didn't stir enough.

That may be because you didn`t cool it quickly enough.

Laura suggested to place the pot with your mixture into another pot of cold water while continuing to stir, which enables it to cool quickly.

You need to do this, even changing the water a time or two, otherwise it will separate into something that really doesn`t look to appetizing.

I use beef gelatin in mine to and have not had any problem. It`s good stuff!

Renaissance said:
If you all haven't tried pork jowl, it's an absolute divine fatty dish. Jowl is also used for a type of bacon, and some chefs prefer it since the fat has a smoother texture. Braising it really softens it up and brings out the flavor. Below is a recipe I had posted a little while ago. Some of the steps aren't absolutely necessary (brining, chilling and pressing it add on a bit of time for preparation and can be done without).

Renaissance said:
I recently came across pork jowl and have cooked it a couple of different ways. Braising it, searing it and then roasting it makes a really delicious dish. Some butchers may consider the jowl the 'cheek' but you want the cut that includes much of the neck. It's incredibly fatty and will weigh roughly 3-5 pounds uncooked. I've never seen it in a regular grocery store and have been getting it directly from a local pastured pig farm. An extra bonus is that few people buy this cut around here and so it's one of the cheaper cuts too.
I concur with eating pork cheek/neck, it is absolutely delicious, slow cooked, roasted, or braised. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom