Keto recipes

Ohh, here's a coconut chocolate candy recipe, which I can't wait to try out! :)

Preparation time:Hands-on: 10 - 15 minutes
Overall: 60 - 90 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving):
Total Carbs 2.4 grams
Fiber 1.4 grams
Net Carbs 1 grams
Protein 0.92 grams
Fat 7.7 grams
of which Saturated 6.2 grams
Energy 73.8 kcal
Potassium 53.8 mg
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (5.3%), protein (4.7%), fat (90%)

Ingredients (makes 30 servings):
1 cup extra virgin coconut oil (200g / 7 oz)
1 cup raw cocoa powder (100g / 3.5 oz)
1 tsp pure vanilla bean extract (~ 1-2 vanilla beans)
¼ cup Erythritol (non GMO) or other healthy low-carb sweetener from this list
10-15 drops Stevia extract (Clear / Coconut)
pinch salt
¼ cup home-made coconut & pecan butter, chilled (50g / 1.7 oz)
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).

Instructions:
Place the extra virgin coconut oil into a small bowl and melt in a microwave oven on low heat for just about a minute. Add raw cocoa powder, vanilla extract, Erythritol and stevia.

Erythritol doesn't dissolve easily unless heated up. For a smoother texture you can blend it until powdered.

Note: Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that naturally occurs in fruits, vegetables and fermented foods. It's very low in Net Carbs and has a slight cooling effect.
Mix everything well, make sure there are no clumps.

Spoon the chocolate mixture into silicone moulds about 1/3 of the way full. I used heart-shaped ice silicone moulds but you can use any other, just make sure it's a shape with a good amount of depth. Place the moulds in the fridge for about 15-30 minutes.

When the chocolate mixture solidifies, add 1/2 a teaspoon of home-made coconut & pecan butter into each mould. The best results are achieved when the butter is chilled.

Top with the remaining chocolate mixture and place back in the fridge for at least 30-60 minutes or until firm.

When done, keep refrigerated. Coconut oil gets very soft at room temperature. Now, whenever you get sugar cravings or before you go to gym, pop them out of the moulds and INDULGE!!!
Note: You may end up making more than 30 candies. This depends on the size of moulds used.
_http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/20/Looking-for-a-Great-No-carb-Snack-Try-Chocolate-Coconut-Candies

Seeing as many of our recipes use Vanilla Essence, and the ones that the supermarket here all contain additives including glucose, here is a recipe for those of you who may wish to make your own. I haven't tried it out yet, it does take a few months to extract the flavour but it's worth a shot as opposed to store bought (& all that entails). :)

1. Gather The Ingredients – 5 Vanilla Beans + A Bottle Of Vodka.
I used ‘local’ organic vanilla beans from Beach Organics in Middleton, South Australia.
See address below – you can order any of their products online - they also have coconut palm sugar, cacao butter, herbs & spices, sea salt, local honey…I used a bottle of vodka that I just added to my home delivered grocery order. It cost my $38 for a 700mL bottle.

2. Get Out 5 Vanilla Beans, And With A Sharp Knife, Slit Each Of Them Open Lengthwise

3. Pop The Split Vanilla Beans Into The Bottle Of Vodka.
And you’re done! It’s that easy!

Put the bottle of homemade vanilla extract in your dark pantry next to something you see everyday (like your butter, or spices, or salt and pepper) so that you remember to give it a gently shake every day (for about a week), then just give it a gentle shake whenever you see it or remember too, to disburse the vanilla extract through the vodka. Leave it for a couple of months ( or 6 or 7 months!! depending on how concentrated you want the extract to be) before putting into smaller bottles.

I pour the homemade vanilla extract into my bought vanilla extract 50mL bottles (I kept them all… for some reason!), and I pop an extra vanilla bean into it, for “continuing maturity” (that’s what it says on the back of my bottle of purchased Equagold Pure Vanilla Extract). This vanilla bean can stay in the little bottle indefinitely, you just keep topping the bottle up with your homemade vanilla extract.

- See more at: http://www.hillshomestead.com/photos/homemade-vanilla-extract-why-didnt-i-do-this-years-ago/#sthash.jxwMSo5G.dpuf

Place the extra virgin coconut oil into a small bowl and melt in a microwave oven on low heat for just about a minute.
FWIW, I've read that microwaving coconut oil causes some adverse reactions to the properties of the oil. Not sure of the facts though it's just as easy to melt it in a double boiler, just in case microwaving does affect it.

1984 said:
Place the extra virgin coconut oil into a small bowl and melt in a microwave oven on low heat for just about a minute.
FWIW, I've read that microwaving coconut oil causes some adverse reactions to the properties of the oil. Not sure of the facts though it's just as easy to melt it in a double boiler, just in case microwaving does affect it.

Good point, I'll have to check that out. I actually don't own a microwave, but it is definitely worth investigating. I've always been a bit wary of cooking with microwaves for some reason :/

Notice how SMALL the servings of those things are in order to keep the carbs low. Keep in mind that three "servings" of the pecan stuff would take you to almost 20 carbs, the limit for a day... that is, 3 tablespoons.

Meanwhile, I tried our water/lard/butter custard today and I have to tell you, there is a distinct difference between it and the coconut milk/oil version. WAY more filling for less. Total satiation.

Gawan said:
I did experiment with it two times one time with a bit of coconut fat and milk (400ml) and ate half of it (kept about the ratio of the first recipes) over some hours and got stomach ache even with hcl capsules and diarrhea the next morning. But it was delicious, since as you wrote you don't feel the fat, beside it is sweet :).
:lol: Yesterday, I ate more than intended to clean the bowl, ended up having some stomach upset and its reactions. I am not sure it is due to extra coconut oil or extra ghee though. I suspect it is due to extra coconut oil.

Laura said:
Meanwhile, I tried our water/lard/butter custard today and I have to tell you, there is a distinct difference between it and the coconut milk/oil version. WAY more filling for less. Total satiation.

Did you use the same amount of water as coconut milk ?

I made my first batch today and it turned out far better than I had expected. Even the texture was good, although I had used pectin instead of gelatin, because that is what I still had. The custard is filling and tastes nice, but I do feel a bit funny. So I will be looking forward to trying it with water and lard. Not sure whether my kids will want to eat it with lard, but I will have a go. :) They liked my custard with coconut, I had hoped that they wouldn't, so that I could have it all to myself... No such luck. :lol:

I found some dried coconut on the internet and you just have to add water to it and then you will have cream. Two hundred grams for one litre of cream.

Added: my eldest ate way too much when I wasn't looking, but didn't feel sick, which is remarkable, because he has been having problems with fat ever since we started this lifestyle. Maybe it was the citric acid of that pectin stuff that did the tric? :/

Laura said:
Saieden said:
I definitely wanna go off the whites from now on. I have a source for duck eggs, and yolk to albumin ratio is MUCH higher, and the yolks don't seem to get much smaller with the overall egg size either.

I'm curious though, what happens to all your leftover whites from the custards and shakes? I'd hate to just let them go to waste if I can help it.

We've been freezing them since I can't bear to toss them out either. There is a bread recipe in the Paleo comfort foods recipe book that is made with nut flour and egg whites so I think when we have guests and need to serve bread, we'll use them that way.

With all the deliciousness of the fat bomb/custards we are indeed racking up some egg whites with no place to call home. While you could incorporate them into batches of gluten-free items like pancakes for added fluffiness, if you're no longer eating like that--there is a rather neat alternative.

Face masks.

Here is an interesting link on how to make several different types of face mask with your leftover egg whites _http://healthmunsta.hubpages.com/hub/DIY-Egg-White-Face-Mask-Recipes

They can also be blended with a smidgen of coconut or olive oil for a conditioning hair mask.

The best part is: you can still read a book while your mask works on your face, as you wait for your custard to set up in the fridge. And a tip for putting the mask on your hair-simply wrap a plastic grocery bag over your hair and secure with a headband. You can condition and continue to do whatever needs doing!

Finally, if you have any children needing to make papier-mache models for school, or some type of crafty project-egg whites can be used as glue and in the papier-mache process. Here's a link on some general suggestions _http://www.instructables.com/id/6-Unusual-Uses-for-Eggs/step2/Eggceptional-Glue/.

But I have yet to find any thrilling ketogenic options for these leftover guys on the menu. If anyone has any food related recipes involving the leftovers, please post!

Second day with the water/butter/lard/egg yolks custard. They ARE delicious and the ones with coffee added taste like butterscotch. So yeah, those who can't deal with the coconut can still get the fat in. And that's not to say that you can't have a coconut one now and then.

We used 800 ml of water and 500 grams of butter and 500 grams of lard. Rest was the same. And the use of the blender at the end to incorporate air really makes a silky, light texture.

Today Alana and I made a double batch of coconut-free fat bombs, adapting yesterday's recipe a bit. They came our perfect, AND they are indeed more filling. Several of us had started to notice some bad effects from the coconut, so we prefer to avoid it from now on.

Anyway, here's Laura's recipe, adapted to be Coconut-free:

400 ml water
750 grams or 1 pound sweet butter or ghee
750 grams lard if preferred
3 soup/tablespoons of plain (knox or other) gelatin
11 tsps xylitol or 14 tsps erythritol (we actually put 8 and it was sweet enough for most people - try and see how you like it.)
24 egg yolks
vanilla

Same instructions as before.

Thanks for the new recipe Laura and Chu.
Chu said:
Today Alana and I made a double batch of coconut-free fat bombs, adapting yesterday's recipe a bit. They came our perfect, AND they are indeed more filling. Several of us had started to notice some bad effects from the coconut, so we prefer to avoid it from now on.

Anyway, here's Laura's recipe, adapted to be Coconut-free:

400 ml water
750 grams or 1 pound sweet butter or ghee
750 grams lard if preferred
3 soup/tablespoons of plain (knox or other) gelatin
11 tsps xylitol or 14 tsps erythritol (we actually put 8 and it was sweet enough for most people - try and see how you like it.)
24 egg yolks
vanilla

Same instructions as before.
Do you mean 250 grams of butter and lard? I ask since Laura writes total of 1kg fat for 800ml water.

Laura, what kind of thermometer do you use?

Our meat thermometers have a long metal stem. The problem is the heat sensor is located in the middle of the stem, quite far from the tip. You can find where the sensor is by holding the stem under a stream of hot water and finding which part along the stem reads hottest. If this part isn't immersed in what you're cooking, the food will actually be hotter than the thermometer reads. This has been a problem for us constantly with different things. I think a candy thermometer with the "probe" right at the tip would be ideal.

A reminder for those who are reacting to coconut:

3 reasons why coconut milk may not be your friend
http://www.sott.net/article/229789-3-reasons-why-coconut-milk-may-not-be-your-friend

Usually it is the guar gum in coconut milk or cream which comes from beans. Those who have had IBS might also fair worse with coconut cream or milk.

Coconut oil is usually well tolerated as it is basically 100% fat with no evil ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom