Keto recipes

Laura said:
Don't know why anybody wants to keep drinking the fat bombs when the custard version is so much better. Here is the refined and perfected recipe:

Any idea if coconut oil affect people with nut issues? ( I don't want to try, already have an issue )

Approaching Infinity said:
Same here, and the texture came out perfect! Only problem was that I substituted lard for coconut oil and it made it taste funny. In the future I won't use lard (or if I do, high quality stuff, like leaf lard). I'll probably just substitute with butter. Coconut oil makes my tummy funny still.

Did you follow Laura's recipe closely? It may be that the lard you get in the US is different from the one we have, because ours don't taste like lard at all. It gives it a good consistency. Like you, coconut oil makes my tummy funny, but the lard fat bombs are fine. Make sure you are adding enough vanilla and all the other ingredients in the right proportions, if you haven't done so already.

I've made my first fat bomb two days ago with the new recipe from Laura and it came out just unbelievably good!
I made one batch of vanilla and one with chocolate flavour. I'm actually surprised that the coconut taste is not very strong (almost not there) which is a big + for me.

While I have to work on a more solid consistency for the next time, it actually smells tastes and has the consistency like vanilla and chocolate pudding!! I'm amazed!!

I never thought that eating a pudding would be possible again on a Keto/Paleo diet, and that without any evil stuff in it, and very high in fat and very low in carbohydrates and protein!!

I've also put a batch into the freezer and as soon as it is frozen it actually tastes a lot like vanilla or chocolate ice cream!

I also think that Chu's post about those "noodles" sounds more then interesting. I probaply will buy some of those noodles and will try to create something like a Keto/Paleo gluten/milk/sugar free spaghetti Bolognese, which has almost cero carbs and hash in it!

I get hungry when thinking about it :D

Like Pashalis sai I think you could put the custard in an ice cream maker and end up with pretty good ice cream. I might try that if the damn weather ever warms up (7C and raining now).

Yes, if you follow the recipe exactly, you will have a beautiful and delicious product, low in carbs, loaded with fat, and absolutely delicious. We've also put it in the ice-cream freezer as an experiment and it works well! Whoda thunkit? Low-carb ice cream???

Meanwhile, not everyone is okay with coconut cream/milk/oil. We have a couple "canaries in the mine" here in the house who demonstrate some intolerance to it. So, Chu is conducting an experiment today making the recipe with water replacing the coconut milk, lard replacing the coconut oil, but same ratio of fats and egg yolks etc.

A three cup experimental batch is in the fridge chilling... we'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully, it will do well and be still another way to get fat in even for those who have more severe reaction issues.

I'll repeat the warning: handle the Keto Custard with care. There is a LOT of fat in there and it goes down so easy you won't realize just how much you have consumed! You need to keep your fat levels in conformity with your daily energy requirements!

I'm thinking that the Keto Custard could also be used to make a savory aspic type thing maybe with pureed salmon, ham or chicken.

Laura said:
I'll repeat the warning: handle the Keto Custard with care. There is a LOT of fat in there and it goes down so easy you won't realize just how much you have consumed! You need to keep your fat levels in conformity with your daily energy requirements!

Easier said then done!

It actually tastes so smooth and good that you would never expect it to be so fatty and low carb/protein, if you would not know it!

I think the cheapest way to buy those Kelp noodles is from the actual producer here: http://www.kelpnoodles.com/products_seatangle_noodles.html

They ship to almost every country in the world and the costs (without shipping) for one pack (aka. 12 packs of 340 grams of noodles) which is 4,08 kg of noodles, is only 35 US Dollars...

Since this is a US company, that indeed looks like the by far cheapest way for getting those noodles in the Americas...
But even if you ship it to another far away country, it is probably a lot cheaper then buying it somewhere else...

Here you can find more information on those noodles:

_http://www.kelpnoodles.com/about_us_faq.html

Here is the nutritional information: _http://www.kelpnoodles.com/nutrition2.html

For germany this seems to be the cheapest and fastest way to get those noodles:

_http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261246594976&ssPageName=ADME:X:DERP:DE:1123

Laura said:

And what would be the downside to having more fat than the body needs while having no negative reaction to the large amount of fat consumed?

Chu said:
Approaching Infinity said:
Same here, and the texture came out perfect! Only problem was that I substituted lard for coconut oil and it made it taste funny. In the future I won't use lard (or if I do, high quality stuff, like leaf lard). I'll probably just substitute with butter. Coconut oil makes my tummy funny still.

Did you follow Laura's recipe closely? It may be that the lard you get in the US is different from the one we have, because ours don't taste like lard at all. It gives it a good consistency. Like you, coconut oil makes my tummy funny, but the lard fat bombs are fine. Make sure you are adding enough vanilla and all the other ingredients in the right proportions, if you haven't done so already.

Yep, I followed it to the letter. Not sure if there's a difference between countries, but leaf lard has virtually no smell/taste. Lard made from other fatty parts of the pig has more of a flavor (which is what I used). I'll try it again once we get some good fat!

hlat said:
I think there's weight gain when having more fat than needed.

Yup. Or, at the very least, depending on the individual metabolism, NO weight loss. That's why it is a blessing for some of the skinnies who don't need to lose weight, but tend to do so on a keto diet when they are unable to keep up their energy needs by taking in sufficient fat.

Laura said:
Yes, if you follow the recipe exactly, you will have a beautiful and delicious product, low in carbs, loaded with fat, and absolutely delicious. We've also put it in the ice-cream freezer as an experiment and it works well! Whoda thunkit? Low-carb ice cream???

Meanwhile, not everyone is okay with coconut cream/milk/oil. We have a couple "canaries in the mine" here in the house who demonstrate some intolerance to it. So, Chu is conducting an experiment today making the recipe with water replacing the coconut milk, lard replacing the coconut oil, but same ratio of fats and egg yolks etc.

A three cup experimental batch is in the fridge chilling... we'll let you know how it turns out. Hopefully, it will do well and be still another way to get fat in even for those who have more severe reaction issues.

I'm thinking that the Keto Custard could also be used to make a savory aspic type thing maybe with pureed salmon, ham or chicken.

I did experiment with it two times one time with a bit of coconut fat and milk (400ml) and ate half of it (kept about the ratio of the first recipes) over some hours and got stomach ache even with hcl capsules and diarrhea the next morning. But it was delicious, since as you wrote you don't feel the fat, beside it is sweet :).

The experiment I did some hours ago was just: butter, gelantine, 1 egg yolk, stevia, xylitol, a bit of water for the gelantine to resolve and a bit vanilla (70 gr. butter, one heaped tsp of xylitol, not much stevia, 1 egg yolk, ~3 gr. gelantine and 30 ml of water). And it tasted like pudding and I'm still feeling fine till now and had about 57gr of fat.

When I eat too much fat I get stomach pain which is about ~160 gr. of fat a day without a hcl capsule to digest (butter and meat combined). I know it because I weigh everything and calculate my food as good as possible.

For any who have trouble accessing quality coconut milk, here's a recipe from the Paleo Mom to make your own:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/recipe-homemade-coconut-milk.html

Ingredients:

¾ cup organic finely shredded unsweetened dried coconut (I like Tropical Tradition’s or Let’s Do Organic brands)
1 ¼ cup just boiled water

1. Place coconut into the large cup of a Magic Bullet or bottom of a Blender.
2. Add freshly boiled, very hot water to coconut.
3. Blend on high for 5 minutes (with the magic bullet, I blend for 45-60 seconds at a time, give the motor a few second break, and then repeat).
4. Pour pulp into a Nut-Milk Bag or Cheesecloth (or other chosen strainer) suspended over a glass bowl, mason jar, or measuring cup (have your strainer suspended over your bowl before you pour in the pulp).
5. You can either let gravity do its thing or you can squeeze the pulp through your bag or cheesecloth to release to coconut milk (I suggest waiting for the pulp to cool a little before doing this).
6. If not being used immediately, store coconut milk in a glass jar in the fridge (the jar is great for shaking up later). Enjoy!

I have some limitations with coconut, although it varies. The coconut meat is what I think bothers me most followed by the milk and then the oil, which I think I'm mostly fine with. The fat bombs seem to be the best, particularly in custard form, although if I have coconut in whatever form too often I do seem to get some inflammation.

So doing some calculations, the perfected custard recipe has 100 grams of fat, 8 carbs and 8 grams of protein. With the unsweetened shredded coconut: 103 grams of fat, 9.6 grams of carbs, 8,6 grams of protein.

Half a cup of strawberries has 4.1 net carbs, so it is pretty negligible per serving. Hmm, yummy! :)

I've found what looks to be some great recipes on this website, complete with gorgeous pictures, and ratios of the amounts of fat, carbs, proteins and ingredient list.

Home-made Coconut & Pecan Butter

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Nutritional values (per serving, 1 tbsp; 30g / 1 oz):
Total Carbs 6.4 grams
Fiber 4.4 grams
Net Carbs 2 grams
Protein 4.9 grams
Fat 11.4 grams
of which Saturated 2.9 grams
Energy 151 kcal
Potassium 52.8 mg
Macronutrient ratio: Calories from carbs (6.2%), protein (15.1%), fat (78.7%)

Ingredients (makes 250g / 8.8 oz jar, about 8 servings):
2 cups coconut, shredded, dried (150g / 5.3 oz)
1 cup pecan nuts (100g / 3.5 oz)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (~ 1-2 vanilla beans)
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt (key ingredient!)
Note: When looking for ingredients, try to get them in their most natural form (organic, without unnecessary additives).

Instructions:
Start by placing the required amount of pecans in a blender.

Add pure vanilla extract and cinnamon and pulse everything until smooth for 30-60 seconds. You can use any blender but I wouldn't use a hand blender, as it may easily overheat.
Note: Don't make the same mistake as me. I started with the shredded coconut (instead of pecans) and it took me longer to blend. The problem is that shredded coconut doesn't have enough moisture and it's more difficult to blend. The moisture in pecans helps with the blending, so blend them first. Do not add coconut oil to further assist the blending: the butter would be too runny!

Add shredded coconut and blend for another 30-60 seconds (or more for a smoother texture) and...

Blend until you reach the desired consistency (I prefer it chunky). Don’t over-process the butter, it can overheat the blender! Pour the butter into a glass container and let it cool to room temperature. Try Home-made Coconut & Pecan Butter in this recipe!
Note: You can store it at room temperature, there is no need to refrigerate it. Microwaving the butter for a few seconds will make it softer, while refrigerating has the opposite effect.
_http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/20/Less-Carbs-Than-Peanut-Butter-Try-Home-made-Coconut-Pecan-Butter

Back
Top Bottom