Keto recipes

I made my first fat bomb custard last weekend. It was really delicious, so thanks to Laura for the recipe! I did the one with the coconut oil and milk. I think I might have had some minor digestion issues, nothing to cry about though. I see how the carbs can add up and you want to minimize them. My vanilla had glycerin for the main ingredient, which is 5 carbs per tsp.

I also halved the recipe and it came out to 1090 grams, or 1 ¼ quart. I got about 10 servings at 100 grams, with 40g fat, 8g carbs, and 4g protein. The fat : carbs + protein calories ratio was 7.65:1. I thought I messed it up because I didn't let it thicken for a minute at 158 degrees F after putting in the egg yolks. But when it cooled and I put it in the fridge, it was like any custard or flan that you would normally eat.

I tried freezing it, but that was a bad idea with my sensitive teeth. I microwaved it a little to get a “pudding”, which wasn't bad. The only thing missing is a little salt, which I have put on after cooking, but maybe it could go into the recipe?

I really do not like cooking, but this was worth it. The halved recipe lasted me 5 days with 10 100g fat bombs twice a day. I just considered it like any other fat, and ate it plain, eating meat separate. It took 2.5 hours to make, but I carefully measured everything out to find the exact measurements. I made an excel sheet of it, attached below.

Do use a bottle for separating egg yolks! You can even do it twice to make sure most of the white is removed. See this video for a visual.

I will try the water and lard version in the coming weeks. I might have to use tallow if I run out of lard, we'll see how that works. Has anyone done one without the vanilla and xylitol, to minimize carbs? The liquid stevia I have says it has no carbs, but I'm sure there's at least some in there.

Here's a pic of 100g of it and the spreadsheet. Let me know if any numbers are off:

Attachments

• fat_bomb_1.jpg
    fat_bomb_1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Fat Bomb custard ratios.xls
    7.5 KB · Views: 23
Rather than using a plastic bottle & all the toxic gunk associated with it, an egg separator would be better. The bottle method is nifty, but this is way cooler. More on this gizmo. Of course a good old fashion separator will do too.. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A80o8Md5GTc

And for a gross-out version (sorry!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dzine-864-Bogey-Man-Separator/dp/B007ZZCSOY if questioned, just say you bought it "for the kids." ;)

3D Student said:
Here's a pic of 100g of it and the spreadsheet. Let me know if any numbers are off:

Looks delicious!! If you halved the recipe, then it sounds about right. I did some calculations and came with the following numbers (approximations depending on the size of the eggs, butter and coconut cream used):

The coconut milk has 17 grams of fat per 100 ml. That's 170 grams of fat and 40 carbs and 14 grams of protein per liter.
24 yolks = 192 grams fat, 65 grams of protein
500 grams of butter = 410 grams of fat, 4 grams of protein
1 cup coconut oil = 230 grams fat
11 tsps xylitol = 44 grams carbs
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut= 12 grams of carbs, 27 grams of fat and 3 grams of protein.

Total fat = 1002 grams
carbs = 84

Divided into ten servings: 100 grams of fat, 8 carbs and 8 grams of protein.

With the shredded coconut: 103 grams of fat, 9.6 grams of carbs, 8,6 grams of protein.
Half a cup of strawberries has 4.1 net carbs, so the amount per serving is pretty negligible.

3D Student said:
I will try the water and lard version in the coming weeks. I might have to use tallow if I run out of lard, we'll see how that works. Has anyone done one without the vanilla and xylitol, to minimize carbs? The liquid stevia I have says it has no carbs, but I'm sure there's at least some in there.
Yes, I make my fat bombs with just coconut milk, butter, coconut oil and eggs - delicious for me.

In order to have more options over controlling the temperature, I use a mixing bowl over a pan of boiling water - using the steam to heat the mixture

Gaby said:
A reminder for those who are reacting to coconut:

3 reasons why coconut milk may not be your friend
http://www.sott.net/article/229789-3-reasons-why-coconut-milk-may-not-be-your-friend

Usually it is the guar gum in coconut milk or cream which comes from beans. Those who have had IBS might also fair worse with coconut cream or milk.

Coconut oil is usually well tolerated as it is basically 100% fat with no evil ingredients.

I noticed a reaction to coconut milk and coconut in general, my stomach really doesn't like it and I started having headaches too...

I have lots of melted coconut oil for free, though it isn't the "Brazilian" coconut, it is the "Paraguayan" one which is very small. I read a study on it and it contains lots of good fatty acids as the "Brazilian" coconut, and even more caprylic acid which is the MCT for which the coconut is so famous. I wish I could send some to you somehow :) The taste is a bit different but it's good too and it gets creamy when you put it in the fridge.

I will rest from coconut products for a while and then try making a mayonaise with this oil to see how my body reacts to it.

Yas said:
I noticed a reaction to coconut milk and coconut in general, my stomach really doesn't like it and I started having headaches too...

Yas, which reminds me. You posted a recipe in one of these threads and its Spanish version in es.sott.net. I translated it, but I'm not sure if I misinterpreted it. Can you take a look and tell me if it is okay or is it missing a step? I wanted to include it in the summary of the cass research:

Chocogelatin
By Yas

-2 cups of bone broth
-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
-1 or 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
-Stevia (or xylitol)

Do a bone broth without any spices or salt. The idea is to extract the nutrients from the bones and get a gelatinous consistency which will serve as “primal matter” for the recipe.

Place 2 cups of bone broth in the blender. Add 2 tablespoons of pure cocoa powder or a quantity according to your taste. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon. Add 1 tablespoon of lard to make it creamier. Add stevia according to taste.

Separate the yolks from the whites of your eggs. Add only the yolks to the blender with the rest of the ingredients listed above. Blend the whites separately by themselves until you get a creamy consistency.

Mix all the ingredients (minus the whites) for 2 or 3 minutes. Place your mixture in a bowl.

Place the whites on the same bowl and mix slightly so they will not lose their consistency. Place everything on a final recipient and keep it in the freezer for 30 minutes, then on the fridge for 1 hour.

It is delicious! There is no trace of the broth taste and this recipe is ideal for those who are very sensitive to several ingredients, and certainly a good way of eating bone broth on a hot day.

You posted another image, but I liked the one of es.sott.net better:

1513206_10202091034690286_1663.jpg

:D Or was this another version of the recipe? What about the name of the recipe, is it right?

Thank you!

Oh! Thanks Gaby! Yeah! The recipe is fine, and the the name too, unless others can think of a better name :P

I guess we can make a lot of variations of the same recipe. Like, the egg whites aren't really necesary, you could add more lard, butter, and coconut oil maybe (and milk if it is OK), you can also add vanilla (I just can't find natural vanilla here), you can use gelatin powder instead of bone broth but that will leave all the benefits of the bone broth out, etc...

Yas said:
I guess we can make a lot of variations of the same recipe. Like, the egg whites aren't really necesary, you could add more lard, butter, and coconut oil maybe (and milk if it is OK), you can also add vanilla (I just can't find natural vanilla here), you can use gelatin powder instead of bone broth but that will leave all the benefits of the bone broth out, etc...

Excellent! And nice comment to add for this recipe :)

I made a batch of the coconut-free lard version of the fat bomb, and it turned out quite nice. I'm not too keen on the plain vanilla using lard. It wasn't off-putting, but even adding almost double the vanilla couldn't cover up the lard flavor. Adding some coffee extract helped a lot and it tasted almost like a maple butterscotch creme brulee. At least to me. I may try adding a bit more coffee to see if I can get an actual coffee flavor instead of a maple flavor.

When you add chocolate though it's absolutely divine!! My new favorite recipe! I'm going to play with it a bit more and try upping the lard a bit, adding a bit of coconut oil for more MCT's, and maybe use a lard/tallow mix. I think the mix will have a milder flavor and might do better as a plain vanilla.

Thanks Laura and the Chateau Crew for the recipe, and thanks to the contributors in the thread for some wonderful ideas!

Edit: Trying the vanilla lard fat bomb again, it actually reminds me of pancake batter. Not a bad taste, but weird.

I'd like to make a coconut oil version but don't have coconut milk? We do have gelatin and the rest of the ingredients. Which recipe should I use?

For those who don't tolerate coconut - try cocoa butter.
I just posted this:
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,31379.msg490590.html#msg490590

To clarify my previous post, I have problems if I eat too much butter. I'm fine with coconut oil. At the moment we are lucky enough to have Coconut oil, lard (the smelly kind) and beef tallow (comparably smelly).

monotonic said:
To clarify my previous post, I have problems if I eat too much butter. I'm fine with coconut oil. At the moment we are lucky enough to have Coconut oil, lard (the smelly kind) and beef tallow (comparably smelly).

Try this recipe that Chu posted here:
https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,34453.msg489468.html#msg489468

with using coconut oil instead of butter and lard. You can add cocoa to it too, coffee or both, to cover the taste of lard if it is too strong for you.

Well, that one is missing the instructions, but I went back through the thread to find the original recipe.

I don't want to risk 24 eggs just yet, so how would you suggest to make smaller portions for experiments?

monotonic said:
Well, that one is missing the instructions, but I went back through the thread to find the original recipe.

I don't want to risk 24 eggs just yet, so how would you suggest to make smaller portions for experiments?

Perso, I always do the half recipe.

Back
Top Bottom