Stages in the Work, limited time for progress, and karmic debt along the path

Mikey

The Living Force
In Mouravieff's Gnosis it was most interesting to read M's overview about the individual stages in "esoteric evolution". Everyone who studies Book I chapter XX section 17 ff. can get an approximate overview about the extent of work that is ahead of us, and an approximate idea at which stage he/she is at the moment.

Attached to this post is a diagram (Fig. 57 in the book) which shows the individual stages (you have to be logged in to see the attachment):

index.php

In short: The 10 stages correspond to a musical octave, including barriers between half-steps which can be difficult to overcome and serve as "thresholds" or "shocks". The note DO on the far right is the maximum possible evolution for man in our 'cosmos'. M explains:

[The third Threshold] is the limit of possible evolution for terrestrial man of the Tritocosmos. Further evolution is certainly possible for him. He can become man 8 and 9. But beyond the third Threshold starts the domain of the Deuterocosmos.

This stage describes a very high and very rare degree of evolution. It is probably not yet relevant for most of us. So, let's begin from the left:

Stage I (DO) is exterior man, who is happy in regular life (enjoys "bourgeois happiness"), or has just begun assimilating 'B' influences.

M explains what happens at stage II (which is the "first Threshold"):

[Here, man] is placed face to face with Life: his own life, with its own soluble and insoluble problems. This is his first esoteric test. This test consists of a general reassessment of values. The results obtained depend upon the objectivity and courage brought to the task. One must exert a conscious effort upon oneself so as not to 'dodge the issue' or lie to oneself during this reevaluation. ...

This done, one must draw certain conclusions. Is one losing interest in exterior life, which unfolds exclusively under the sway of factors of influence 'A', and to what extent? Is the centre of gravity of the Personality being displaced towards the magnetic centre? Is a real emphasis being given to it?

At this time, a choice must be made.

As M explains earlier in the book, this choice becomes visible to us only during a certain 'crossroads', a moral or spiritual bankrupcy or crisis. There, we effectively become disillusioned about exterior life and realize that its "bourgeois happiness" will just end in death with nothing remaining. Hopefully, we can make this choice consciously, because, as M says:

It would be better to withdraw before crossing the first Threshold than, having cut oneself off from the region of bourgeois happiness, to wish to regain it later. The Way is a one-way street. After the Threshold there is only one option: either to progress on the Way or to fall. From now on, any return to the original state will be forbidden. If the magnetic centre is pure and sufficiently firm, a man of influence ‘C’ appears: the first Threshold will be crossed under his direction.

After crossing this first Threshold, the so-called "staircase" (notes SI, LA, SOL and FA in the diagram) begins. It is not yet The Way proper, but it is merely the Path of Access to it. Especially interesting is when M says that once one is on this staircase, there is limited time allotted to each step:

This esoteric staircase has a peculiarity which we must keep in our minds. It is not possible for us to stay on a particular step indefinitely. After a specified delay, sufficient for him to fulfill the task required from him by the note in force, the step will give way.

He doesn't explain what it means, or how it manifests, when a step "gives way". Maybe it leads to a general degeneration of the individual? The idea that there is "limited time" is also mentioned by G, only in relation to society at large:

In Search of the Miraculous said:
"There is a definite period," he said, "for a certain thing to be done. If, by a certain time, what ought to be done has not been done, the earth may perish without having attained what it could have attained."

"Is this period known?" I asked.

"It is known," said G. "But it would be no advantage whatever for people to know it. It would even be worse. Some would believe it, others would not believe it, yet others
would demand proofs. Afterwards they would begin to break one another's heads. Everything ends this way with people."

Anyway, the task on the "staircase" is the following, and it has pitfalls, as M continues:

During evolution through the notes LA, SOL and FA, the faithful, climbing the Staircase step after step, will have the following tasks to do:

— note LA — to make the Personality grow to its fullest possible extent;
— note SOL — to develop it;
— note FA — to balance the three lower centres by replacing the mechanical ties between them with conscious ties from each centre to the magnetic centre, to which the lower centres will then be subordinated.

By accomplishing the task which has been described for this note [FA], he will become man 4.

The eliminated morality will be replaced inside him by the action of his conscience, the embryonic expression of the consciousness of the real 'I'.

It is to be noted that man 4 remains in several ways an exterior man; and he is still mortal. But he is ready to cross the second Threshold, beyond which, safely sheltered from the 'A' influences and from the Law of Accident, the Way begins in its true sense. ...

One must never lose sight of the fact that everything man does, he does imperfectly. Theoretically, man 4, by the time the note FA is resounding fully, should already be absolute master of himself. The growth and the development of his Personality should have been pushed to their utmost limits. If this were really the case, the absorption of the lower emotional centre by the magnetic centre would have occurred in profound joy. But this only happens rarely. This is because man, everywhere and always late, does not fully succeed in accomplishing his task at each step of the Staircase. As the time allowed for him to finish his work on each step is limited, he is obliged, from fear of a fall, to pass to the next step while still dragging behind him a part, sometimes a large part, of his karmic debt. This is allowed, but only on condition that his purification is completed at the note FA.

Here we learn about "karmic debt" that has to be expunged. We are prompted to resolve as much as possible -- before and during the "staircase". It seems that "karmic debt" especially has to do with people close to us (especially family). Interestingly, this topic has been brought up in a recent Cassiopaean session (Dec 6 2014). Apparently, failing to do so leads to "leaking of energy" and a general degeneration of the individual.

After the staircase comes the second Threshold, also called the Second Birth. M describes it:

Having reached the first Threshold, [one] has been placed facing 'life'. Having reached the second Threshold, he is placed face to face with himself.

In other words, he will see his Personality in its ensemble and in every detail. In the same way, he will perceive all the results of his Karma, as well as all the distortions they have provoked in his being, in particular, the distortion that comes from hypocrisy towards oneself, and from the lies we tell ourselves. These are the most difficult elements to constate. Consequently they are the most difficult to neutralize.

This is the second great test. For the first time in his life, he will see himself objectively, as he is, with no make-up, without the least justification or compromise, and with no possibility of evasion. For the just, this ordeal is full of ineffable joy. To him it will be like the light of dawn. For the unjust—and this is the general case—this vision of oneself seems terrifying.

So, our time for progress on the staircase seems to be limited. However, M also says that there is, in theory, enough time to reach the higher sections of the Way in one lifetime:

The truth is that the General Law keeps man in his place, and if he moves, it will prevent him from advancing or rising. It is the General Law also which makes him die. But he must not forget that it is that very law that lets him be born and makes him live. It gives him at least three times the time necessary for developing his Personality completely and finding his real I, with the second Birth, and then, after he has crossed the second Threshold, for entering the higher section of the Way.

For anyone having evolution as personal goal, this gives a bit of hope because it seems reachable and doable in principle. But of course, when something is possible in principle does not mean that it happens by default or is the general case. We should, however, (in G's terms) 'wish' for it. If we 'wish', we 'can'.

Attachments

• Selection_087.jpg
    Selection_087.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,888
Thanks, Data, for posting this.

Yes, it does give some hope, although it also highlights the difficulties and pitfalls. And I wonder what happens, if one "falls" - death?

I often can certainly feel the pull of exterior life calling, the wish to go back to sleep, although then I tend to remember what it was like - and that thought alone gives me renewed motivation to keep going.

Data said:
For anyone having evolution as personal goal, this gives a bit of hope because it seems reachable and doable in principle. But of course, when something is possible in principle does not mean that it happens by default or is the general case. We should, however, (in G's terms) 'wish' for it. If we 'wish', we 'can'.
I can't but add (I should :) )

In speaking of evolution it is necessary to understand from the outset that no mechanical evolution is possible. The evolution of man is the evolution of his consciousness. And ‘consciousness’ cannot evolve unconsciously. The evolution of man is the evolution of his will, and ‘will’ cannot evolve involuntarily. The evolution of man is the evolution of his power of doing, and ‘doing’ cannot be the result of things which ‘happen.’

Huge thanks for these passages and sharing. I'm going to read it right now in Russian, I've started XX recently.

nicklebleu said:
And I wonder what happens, if one "falls" - death?

It could be equivalent to physically falling: Potential for serious injury, depending on the circumstances and the 'height' of the fall. In short: a fall out of order, into entropy and all it entails.

M says at the same location about the second Threshold:

If he runs away from this monster — in which he must recognize himself — this will be the fall, full of the worst dangers.

Thanks for the summary, Data. While I have no wish to go back to mechanical life at all, one thing needs to be stressed: conscious efforts must be always renewed because, generally, even conscious AIM and efforts towards it become mechanical after a while. That just seems to be the human condition until, perhaps, becoming Man #5, I'm not sure.

Also G mentioned that while individual in state which could be characterized like in front of transition note Fa to Mi conscious efforts is necessary for further evolution. In our being it may be circumstances that violate the course of life. The circumstances which push us to fall down\two steps back. Attention to reality \your life can provide help in order to define these moments when A influences or General Law tests us for durability. On the other hand such the things might make us aware about our position in the Work and prevent

SeekinTruth said:
...conscious AIM and efforts towards it become mechanical after a while.

Interesting thread. I haven't read the source material, but the concepts are found elsewhere that I have read. Some comments on the following.

The Way is a one-way street. After the Threshold there is only one option: either to progress on the Way or to fall. From now on, any return to the original state will be forbidden.

The concept of "transcend and include" is important to consider, IMO. Ken Wilber does a good job of covering that in his various and prolific works. He describes the process as holarchy, such as the sub-atomic particle as part of the whole atom, as part of the whole molecule, as part of the whole cell, as part of the organ, the organism, the social structure, etc., etc. None of those things shuns the lower order parts. Rather, they are simply part of the integrated whole. Each part transcends its boundary through the impulse to seek higher order. I like how this is summed up in the following mantra.

Om purnamadah purnamidam
purnat purnamudachayate
Purnasya purnamadaya
purnamevavashisyate

This is whole that is whole
taking away whole
from whole
whole still remains whole

It seems that there is a danger in aversion if the orientation is to shun lower stages of growth. That would be shunning part of yourself, your timeless, whole self. I think maybe it's meant that the return to the infatuation with the original state will negate the growth. That probably is what is implied bu the quote, but just to be sure, running from shadow, metaphorically speaking, just means that your shadow will continue chasing you. Be more like Peter Pan, and chase your shadow, gleefully, and own it.

Shadow work can continue at higher levels, it seems, but the orientation towards the work has to be there at the lower level in order to make the step to the higher level and be allowed to carry the shadow with you. A metaphor might be physical labor, where you get quite dirty in order to accomplish the task at hand. When the work is done, you have to leave the field covered in sweat and grime and enter the cleanliness of the home. If those in the home know that you to be a slob who will sit on the furniture while still filthy, you will not be allowed in until you hose yourself off outside. On the other hand, if your manners are such that you will stop in the mud-room first to remove your dirty shoes, and immediately after that you take a bath, then you are welcome to come right in from the field.

Regarding the nature of the fall, it makes me consider chaos theory. If I recall, Ilya Prigogine described complex, open systems that would reach a bifurcation point, at which the system can reorganize at a higher level, able to handle the increased energy demands of the system in a more ordered way, or otherwise the system falls back to a lower level. There it has a chance to reorganize and try again to make the next step, which for a man might require another, or several, lifetimes, and for the soul, who knows how many lessons to be learned in non-corporeal realms.

Seems like a good day to connect to the network. Between the recent dec 13 session and this thread, I have had some exposure to points that may be crucial to my well being and healing. I think I was on the path and working towards the first threshold in my younger years when I was delving into spirituality and seeking to understand reality on a deeper level. I was enjoying learning and working on myself and the adventure I was having as i went along. I started to fall off the wagon towards the end of high school with over identifying with an aspect of myself tho. Its been with me ever since, but I really sunk in my early 20's and was caught up in all things mundane and physical/materialistic/3rd density oriented. I have been kind of feeling a growing sense of spiritual bankruptcy over the years and would always reflect back on high school. That bankruptcy and it being a one-way street, combined with falling and dissolving away kinda hit home. The recent C's session and this tread is having me reevaluate my identifications at the fore of my present personalty, but also with ones I have held onto from my past. These threads were a kind of peripheral intrigue that caught my attention and opened up my awareness to a new possibility of what may be that was in opposition to what i kind of always used to think of myself. Its a helpful starting point for growth I have been seeking to enact. So thank you for that.

Data said:
nicklebleu said:
And I wonder what happens, if one "falls" - death?

It could be equivalent to physically falling: Potential for serious injury, depending on the circumstances and the 'height' of the fall. In short: a fall out of order, into entropy and all it entails.

M says at the same location about the second Threshold:

If he runs away from this monster — in which he must recognize himself — this will be the fall, full of the worst dangers.

Maybe it's like what Castaneda described if one does not master the self vis a vis petty tyrants... one then becomes one?

yes he become one, but it is still a fall. A fast road to death of earth body. A diamond is cast in great pressure. If it fails process it is only a coal, dark rusty material for burning.

I wonder how this concept can be aligned with the idea of a tribal unit. If the Way can be described as an octave (a wave?) then the process of creating/developing a tribal unit can also probably depicted in this terms. And I think that if we all try to reach a certain stage of the Way (the same note of the octave) then we can create sort of creative interference by means if superposition of waves/octaves of our personal development and thus to strengthen the developmental octave of our tribal unit.

365px-Interference_of_two_waves.svg.png

Does it make sense?

One thing I don't understand about Mouravieff is his focus on the descending/devolutionary octave (do-si-la-etc.), instead of the ascending/evolutionary octave. From reading G and other related books, it would make more sense for soul development to follow an ascending octave (do-re-mi-etc.). Doesn't change the overall picture of what perhaps to expect at certain levels, but I think Mouravieff missed the boat there and it makes the picture more confusing than it already is.

Approaching Infinity said:
One thing I don't understand about Mouravieff is his focus on the descending/devolutionary octave (do-si-la-etc.), instead of the ascending/evolutionary octave. From reading G and other related books, it would make more sense for soul development to follow an ascending octave (do-re-mi-etc.). Doesn't change the overall picture of what perhaps to expect at certain levels, but I think Mouravieff missed the boat there and it makes the picture more confusing than it already is.

I agree to some extent. However, the concept of the steps and the time and some of the conditions is useful.

Laura said:

I agree to some extent. However, the concept of the steps and the time and some of the conditions is useful.

Yeah, for sure. I think that's true of Mouravieff in general: good descriptions of processes, conditions, stages, etc. But when he gets into his OCD super details, not so much.

The tricky part here: if the steps G describes are based in objective reality (i.e., if soul development really follows steps than can apply in all similar situations), then depending on which octave you use as a guide, the "intervals" or conscious shocks (mi-fa, si-do) will come at different steps in the process. Mouravieff has them right at stage 2 and stage 7. G would place them in stages 4 and 9. So G places 3 full stages before the "first threshold", not the one in Mouravieff.

Yeah, for sure. I think that's true of Mouravieff in general: good descriptions of processes, conditions, stages, etc. But when he gets into his OCD super details, not so much.

The tricky part here: if the steps G describes are based in objective reality (i.e., if soul development really follows steps than can apply in all similar situations), then depending on which octave you use as a guide, the "intervals" or conscious shocks (mi-fa, si-do) will come at different steps in the process. Mouravieff has them right at stage 2 and stage 7. G would place them in stages 4 and 9. So G places 3 full stages before the "first threshold", not the one in Mouravieff.

Yes, and I think that G was correct and it makes much more sense. So, perhaps we should create a new graphic that is correctly labeled and see if we can't re-describe things based on what makes better sense?

Back
Top Bottom