Breathing in meditation, yawning

T.C.

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I recently heard a theory about yawning which made me think about why you should breath in through the nose and out through the mouth during meditation. Just an idea anyway.

The theory was that we yawn to cool down the brain.

Could breathing in through the nose help send cool air up to the brain, and then, it feels to me that when we breath out through the mouth, we cut off that "upward" route of air at the back of our throats?

I'm sorry if the explanation of the throat functions is vague but i'm not as up on anatomy as I could be.

Maybe someone could elaborate further.

I find yawning as one of the most fascinating human phenomena/actions. Sorry if it seems as an off topic for your original question, just wanted to share one interesting fact about yawning. It seems that roots of yawning being contagious lying in empathy. (although, personally I don't buy this "tribal" thing as an excuse for contagious nature of yawning. There are other actions we perform that may indicate danger to the group. So why only yawning is contagious?).

From: http://www.signs-of-the-times.org/articles/show/136941-Yawning%2C+a+test+of+your+empathy%3F

So, I got home and started researching the topic, and quickly discovered that I was not alone. It seems that nobody's sure why yawning is contagious. There do appear to be some differences in individuals who are susceptible to contagious yawning and those who are not1. In particular, contagious yawners score lower on the Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire, which was designed to measure the symptoms of Schizotypal Personality Disorder. These symptoms involve less social and self-awareness, along with schizophrenia-like symptoms such as altered or unusual perceptions, particularly in social contexts, which can lead to paranoia. Lower scores on the test indicate lower levels of schizotypal symptoms. Contagious yawners also performed better when answering questions about stories designed to test for theory-of-mind ability. Finally, they also had much faster reaction times when asked to identify their own face presented on a computer screen. Steven Platek and his co-authors argue that these findings, that contagious yawners score lower on the Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire, and show better theory-of-mind and self-recognition performance, indicates that self-awareness and empathy underlie contagious yawning.
If this is the case, I wonder if psychopaths ever get to be contaged with “neighbor's" yawn.

Gurdjieff's explanation....... take it as you see fit.

"You have noticed that you yawn when you are tired. This is especially noticeable, for instance, in the mountains, when a man who is unaccustomed to them yawns almost continually while he is ascending a mountain. Yawning is the pumping of energy into the small accumulators. When they empty too quickly, that is, when one of them has no time to fill up while the other is being emptied, yawning becomes almost continuous. There are certain diseased conditions which can cause stoppage of the heart when a man wishes but is not able to yawn, and other conditions are known when something goes wrong with the pump, causing it to work without effect, when a man yawns the whole time, but does not pump in any energy.

"The study and the observation of yawning from this point of view may reveal much that is new and interesting.
"Laughter is also directly connected with accumulators. But laughter is the opposite function to yawning. It is not pumping in, but pumping out, that is, the pumping out and the discarding of superfluous energy collected in the accumulators. Laughter does not exist in all centers, but only in centers divided into two halves—positive and negative. If I have not yet spoken of this in detail, I shall do so when we come to a more detailed study of the centers. At present we shall take only the intellectual center. There can be impressions which fall at once on two halves of the center and produce at once a sharp 'yes' and 'no.' Such a simultaneous 'yes' and 'no' produces a kind of convulsion in the center and, being unable to harmonize and digest these two opposite impressions of one fact, the center begins to throw out in the form of laughter the energy which flows into it from the accumulator whose turn it is to supply it. In another instance it happens that in the accumulator there has collected too much energy which the center cannot manage to use up. Then every, the most ordinary, impression can be received as double, that is, it may fall at once on the two halves of the center and produce laughter, that is, the discarding of energy.

"You must understand that I am only giving you an outline. You must remember that both yawning and laughter are very contagious. This shows that they are essentially functions of the instinctive and the moving centers."

Here's some remarks Gurdjieff made about yawning and laughter which I've always found intriguing:

Ouspensky said:
In addition to what he had said about accumulators G. made some very interesting remarks about yawning and about laughter. "There are two incomprehensible functions of our organism inexplicable from the scientific point of view," he said, "although naturally science does not admit them to be inexplicable; these are yawning and laughter. Neither the one nor the other can be rightly understood and explained without knowing about accumulators and their role in the organism.

"You have noticed that you yawn when you are tired. This is especially noticeable, for instance, in the mountains, when a man who is unaccustomed to them yawns almost continually while he is ascending a mountain. Yawning is the pumping of energy into the small accumulators. When they empty too quickly, that is, when one of them has no time to fill up while the other is being emptied, yawning becomes almost continuous. There are certain diseased conditions which can cause stoppage of the heart when a man wishes but is not able to yawn, and other conditions are known when something goes wrong with the pump, causing it to work without effect, when a man yawns the whole time, but does not pump in any energy.
"The study and the observation of yawning from this point of view may reveal much that is new and interesting.

"Laughter is also directly connected with accumulators. But laughter is the opposite function to yawning. It is not pumping in, but pumping out, that is, the pumping out and the discarding of superfluous energy collected in the accumulators. Laughter does not exist in all centers, but only in centers divided into two halves—positive and negative. If I have not yet spoken of this in detail, I shall do so when we come to a more detailed study of the centers. At present we shall take only the intellectual center. There can be impressions which fall at once on two halves of the center and produce at once a sharp 'yes' and 'no.' Such a simultaneous 'yes' and 'no' produces a kind of convulsion in the center and, being unable to harmonize and digest these two opposite impressions of one fact, the center begins to throw out in the form of laughter the energy which flows into it from the accumulator whose turn it is to supply it. In another instance it happens that in the accumulator there has collected too much energy which the center cannot manage to use up. Then every, the most ordinary, impression can be received as double, that is, it may fall at once on the two halves of the center and produce laughter, that is, the discarding of energy.

"You must understand that I am only giving you an outline. You must remember that both yawning and laughter are very contagious. This shows that they are essentially functions of the instinctive and the moving centers."
"Why is laughter so pleasant?" asked someone.
"Because," G. answered, "laughter relieves us of superfluous energy, which, if it remained unused, might become negative, that is, poison. We always have plenty of this poison in us. Laughter is the antidote. But this antidote is necessary only so long as we are unable to use all the energy for useful work. It is said of Christ that he never laughed. And indeed you will find in the Gospels no indication or mention of the fact that at any time Christ laughed. But there are different ways of not laughing. There are people who do not laugh because they are completely immersed in negative emotions, in malice, in fear, in hatred, in suspicion. And there may be others who do not laugh because they cannot have negative emotions. Understand one thing. In the higher centers there can be no laughter, because in higher centers there is no division, and no 'yes' and 'no.'"
EDIT: Hehehe... just saw Johnno's post. :)

Err what do we do here? Do I moderate you or do you moderate me? Or is self moderation in order? :)

Wow, thank you for those quotes. Laughting is also one of the most fasinating things I wanted to understand :)

Gurdjieff said:
At present we shall take only the intellectual center. There can be impressions which fall at once on two halves of the center and produce at once a sharp 'yes' and 'no.' Such a simultaneous 'yes' and 'no' produces a kind of convulsion in the center and, being unable to harmonize and digest these two opposite impressions of one fact, the center begins to throw out in the form of laughter the energy which flows into it from the accumulator whose turn it is to supply it. In another instance it happens that in the accumulator there has collected too much energy which the center cannot manage to use up.
This is very interesting. I tried to think about principles of laughing. Why some things make us laugh and other don't. Why different people have different "sense of humor" or why two people can say the same story but people will be prone to laugh only when the "better" story teller telling the story.

And I had an idea that it may be connected to patters. A combination of the story/situation plot and the way it was told/written/presented somehow cause people to laugh. But until now I couldn't understand exactly what was this "thing" that caused it. And this is in fact inner contradiction (in a very simplistic way). Maybe that's why sense of humor is individual. Every one of us has it's own set of associations/programs/filters and accordingly - specific set of possible contradictions.

*Yawn* You guys are making me yawn.

The quotes of Gurdjieff provided here are very intriguing. It helps put one into perceptive. I did not take notice about the yawning, except of common sense...that it is just contagious.

Keit said:
If this is the case, I wonder if psychopaths ever get to be contaged with “neighbor's" yawn.
I would like to try to yawn in front of a psychopath, to see his reaction.

Gurdjieff said:
You must understand that I am only giving you an outline. You must remember that both yawning and laughter are very contagious. This shows that they are essentially functions of the instinctive and the moving centers.
How does this relate to psychopaths? Was their moving centers blocked in some ways if they cannot yawn?

Thomas C said:
Could breathing in through the nose help send cool air up to the brain, and then, it feels to me that when we breath out through the mouth, we cut off that "upward" route of air at the back of our throats?
I think from both of our mouths and noses, we send air up to the brain when breathing in. Not sure about the breathing out requires the same routes.

Zadius Sky said:
How does this relate to psychopaths? Was their moving centers blocked in some ways if they cannot yawn?
It was only a speculation based on the data that empathic people find yawning more contagious. Maybe it is completely wrong speculation. Of course psychopath can yawn. I was talking about instinctive/uncontrollable reaction to seeing some one else yawn. Somehow if you are more self-aware, empathic and social, you’ll find it more contagious.

Keit said:
It was only a speculation based on the data that empathic people find yawning more contagious. Maybe it is completely wrong speculation. Of course psychopath can yawn. I was talking about instinctive/uncontrollable reaction to seeing some one else yawn. Somehow if you are more self-aware, empathic and social, you’ll find it more contagious.
It seems to be a reasonable speculation. I was thinking that since psychopath is purely a body without a soul, acting solely on motor/emotional/intelligent centres and cannot evolve, somehow these centres could be blocked or distorted in some ways. That yawning or laughing in psychopath could not be as frequent as souled human would be (since souled/empathic are more aware in others' emotional reactions). osit.

As for meditation/yawn:

Yawn - due to one being tired and it is uncontrolled (sometime not being aware). I am not sure what would cause one to yawn other than being tired.

Meditation - controlled breathing with a focus and awareness.

---

Edit: This thread is really making me yawn. :zzz:

Johnno said:
Err what do we do here? Do I moderate you or do you moderate me? Or is self moderation in order? :)
We can leave it as an example of moderator colinearity (in formatory thinking, at least! :D )

Zadius Sky said:
It seems to be a reasonable speculation. I was thinking that since psychopath is purely a body without a soul, acting solely on motor/emotional/intelligent centres and cannot evolve, somehow these centres could be blocked or distorted in some ways.
I'm not so sure that psychopaths can't evolve - in their own "way". Makes me think of this quote by the C's:

C's session 950909 said:
Q: (L) Well, if the Grays are cybergenetic probes of the Lizard Beings, and, in effect soulless, does this mean that some of the Lizard beings are also STO?
A: Well, first, no being that is given intelligence to think on its own is, in fact, completely soul-less. It does have some soul imprint. Or what could be loosely referred to as soul imprint. This may be a collection of psychic energies that are available in the general vicinity. And this is stretching somewhat so that you can understand the basic ideas, even though in reality it is all far more complex than that. But, in any case, there is really no such thing as being completely soul-less, whether it be a natural intelligence or an artificially constructed intelligence. And, one of the very most interesting things about that from your perspective, is that your technology on 3rd density, which we might add, has been aided somewhat by interactions with those that you might refer to as "aliens," is now reaching a level whereby the artificially created intelligences can, in fact, begin to develop, or attract some soul imprint energy. If you follow what we are saying. For example: your computers, which are now on the verge of reaching the level whereby they can think by themselves, will begin to develop faint soul imprint.
and these quotes by Gurdjieff:

ISOTM said:
"Crystallization is possible on any foundation. Take for example a brigand, a really good, genuine brigand. I knew such brigands in the Caucasus. He will stand with a rifle behind a stone by the roadside for eight hours without stirring. Could you do this? All the time, mind you, a struggle is going on in him. He is thirsty and hot, and flies are biting him; but he stands still. Another is a monk; he is afraid of the devil; all night long he beats his head on the floor and prays. Thus crystallization is achieved. In such ways people can generate in themselves an enormous inner strength; they can endure torture; they can get what they want. This means that there is now in them something solid, something permanent. Such people can become immortal. But what is the good of it? A man of this kind becomes an 'immortal thing,' although a certain amount of consciousness is sometimes preserved in him. But even this, it must be remembered, occurs very rarely."
Beelzebub's Tales said:
At this point Hassein looked up at Beelzebub and said: "Dear Grandfather, more than once in your talks you have used the expression 'hasnamuss. ' Until now I have understood, merely from the intonation of your voice and the consonance of the word itself, that by this expression you designated certain three-brained beings you always set apart from others as if they deserved 'objective contempt. ' Be kind, as always, and explain to me the real meaning of this word." Whereupon Beelzebub, with a smile peculiar to him, replied: "As regards the 'type' of three-brained being for whom I have adopted this expression, I will tell you at the proper time; but meanwhile know that this word designates the already defined common presence of any three-brained being—whether consisting of the planetary body alone or already coated with higher being-bodies—in whom for some reason or other data have not been crystallized for the divine impulse of Objective Conscience." With no further explanation of the word "hasnamuss," Beelzebub continued:
Just some thoughts. On the topic and hand:

Zadius Sky said:
That yawning or laughing in psychopath could not be as frequent as souled human would be (since souled/empathic are more aware in others' emotional reactions). osit.
I'm inclined to go with that as a hypothesis, but we need specific data before any conclusions can be reached. There's also the possibility that psychopaths are aware of their "deficit" of yawning/laughter through close observation of others, and may fake it to the degree that it wouldn't be very obvious to tell the difference.

Zadius Sky said:
Yawn - due to one being tired and it is uncontrolled (sometime not being aware). I am not sure what would cause one to yawn other than being tired.

Meditation - controlled breathing with a focus and awareness.
Regarding the specific theory mentioned - yawning helping to cool the brain - I doubt this is the case. My personal experience has been that I still yawn even in quite cold conditions when I am relaxed, so I'm not sure why my brain would need "cooling off" during those times. Since my personal experience seems to conflict with this theory, I'd want to see more hard data than ye olde chestnut, "I heard a theory". ;)

Thanks for your thoughts, Ryan. Your quotes pointed out a good understanding on an evolution of psychopaths. It may be possible for them to evolve in their "own" way.

Gurdjieff said:
Crystallization is possible on any foundation.
This line stands out quite strongly. It is indeed quite possible.

Ryan said:
Regarding the specific theory mentioned - yawning helping to cool the brain - I doubt this is the case. My personal experience has been that I still yawn even in quite cold conditions when I am relaxed, so I'm not sure why my brain would need "cooling off" during those times. Since my personal experience seems to conflict with this theory, I'd want to see more hard data than ye olde chestnut, "I heard a theory".
I did not know about this theory of yawning would cool the brain. Initially, I thought my lungs needed more air. Yes, you're right. More data is needed.

Ryan said:
Regarding the specific theory mentioned - yawning helping to cool the brain - I doubt this is the case. My personal experience has been that I still yawn even in quite cold conditions when I am relaxed, so I'm not sure why my brain would need "cooling off" during those times. Since my personal experience seems to conflict with this theory, I'd want to see more hard data than ye olde chestnut, "I heard a theory". ;)
Well, I found an article about this theory and it is rather interesting. I think that when they say "cooling" it is closer to the analogy of cooling the processor. :)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Yawning_Your_brain_cooling_down/articleshow/2179440.cms

The brain burns up to a third of the calories we consume, and as a consequence generates a lot of heat. According to researchers Andrew Gallup and Gordon Gallup, the brain operates more efficiently when cool and yawning enhances its functioning by increasing blood flow and drawing in cooler air.

The researchers also suggest — again contrary to popular view — that yawning does not promote sleep but helps mitigate the need to sleep. Since yawning occurs when brain temperature rises, sending cool blood to the brain serves to maintain optimal levels of mental efficiency.
To research the theory that yawning evolved to cool the brain, the psychologists had students watch videotapes of people yawning and counted the number of contagious yawns. In one experiment, they found that 50% of the people who were instructed to breathe normally or through their mouths yawned while watching other people yawn, while those told to breathe through their nose did not yawn at all.

In another experiment, they found that subjects who held a cold pack to their forehead acted similarly to those who were instructed to breathe through their nose — they, too, did not yawn, while those who held a warm pack or a room temperature pack to their forehead yawned normally.

Evidence shows that blood vessels in the nasal cavity and face send cool blood to the brain, and by breathing through the nose or by cooling the forehead, the brain is cooled, eliminating the need to yawn. A yawn is a reflex of deep inhalation and exhalation.
I am inclined to try those experiments with cold pack or breathing through nose ;)

There is an article in Evolutionary Psychology on _www.epjournal.net. This was written by the researchers Andrew Gallup and Gordon Gallup, who were mentioned in the article quoted by Keit above. The name of the article is "Yawning as a Brain Cooling Mechanism: Nasal Breathing and Forehead Cooling Diminish the Incidence of Contagious Yawning."

Abstract said:
We conducted two experiments that implicate yawning as a thermoregulatory mechanism. The first experiment demonstrates that different patterns of breathing influence susceptibility to contagious yawning. When participants were not directed how to breathe or were instructed to breathe orally (inhaling and exhaling through their mouth), the incidence of contagious yawning in response to seeing videotapes of people yawning was about 48%. When instructed to breathe nasally (inhaling and exhaling through their nose), no participants exhibited contagious yawning. In a second experiment, applying temperature packs to the forehead also influenced the incidence of contagious yawning. When participants held a warm pack (460C) or a pack at room temperature to their forehead while watching people yawn, contagious yawning occurred 41% of the time. When participants held a cold pack (40C) to their forehead, contagious yawning dropped to 9%. These findings suggest that yawning has an adaptive/functional component that it is not merely the derivative of selection for other forms of behavior.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom