2 Former Senators Found Dead


The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I think the Cs were talking about keeping everyone dependent on the system and the "chancellor"/leader to protect them.
Excuse me for not expressing my idea more clearly, what I had in mind was:

While it is true that the C's in relation to the Sandy Hook event were referring to instilling the public need for the protection of the "chancellor and his pals", would any future thing "like JFK, RFK, John Lennon, Diana, and others of note" be more easily digested by the masses, if known individuals but of a little less note than a JFK etc. were killed on a slightly more frequent basis leading up to a planned assassination of one of the "others of note", thus leaving the impression: "Oh well, others have died before him or her, so nothing to get excited about."


Jedi Council Member
Breaking: Murdered Arkansas Former GOP State Senator Believed She Was Closing In On Child Trafficking Ring In Arkansas State Government

Former Republican Arkansas state Senator Linda Collins-Smith, who was found murdered in her home this week in Pocahontas, Arkansas, believed she was closing in on a child-trafficking ring working from within the Arkansas state government.


A verified source close to Collins-Smith told CD Media that she was about to go public with incriminating information on sitting judges in Arkansas, who were involved in taking children from poor women via the Department of Human Services (child protective services) in Arkansas and selling them to wealthy individuals. The source also disclosed that Collins-Smith believed the perpetrators were using illegal aliens to facilitate the crimes which included murdering the mothers of the stolen children.

In another ominous twist to the story, former Oklahoma state Sen. Jonathan Nichols was found murdered in his home in Norman, Oklahoma yesterday. Our source believes the two murders are connected.

CD Media has much more information to release but we are in the process of verifying the information first. Please check back for further developments.


The Living Force
FOTCM Member
June 6, 2019
The suicides of a veteran chief and a homicide detective prompted the police commissioner to urge officers to seek help if they feel despondent
One was a veteran deputy chief found dead in his police vehicle in the neighborhood where he worked. The other was a longtime homicide detective, discovered lifeless hours later in the dark marshlands of southern Brooklyn.

Both men had killed themselves, startling back-to-back suicides that prompted senior police officials to make direct pleas to troubled officers on the 36,000-member force to seek help.

“To the cops here today, I need you to know, help is available to you,” said the police commissioner, James P. O’Neill, in a news conference on Thursday. “Help is here, you are never alone.”

“No situation is hopeless,” Chief Terence A. Monahan, the Police Department’s highest-ranking uniformed officer, said in one video posted on social media. “You put strangers first every day. Now it’s time to prioritize your own health and well-being. And don’t forget to check in with your fellow cops.”

The two men, who died Wednesday and Thursday, had a combined experience of almost 80 years and had seen other officers take their lives before finally taking the same route.

On Wednesday, the body of Deputy Chief Steven J. Silks, 62, was found shortly before sunset near Forest Hills Stadium and the precinct station house where he worked. He died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the police said.

Stunned by the death of the popular chief, the department found itself the next day scrambling to find a missing detective, Joseph Calabrese, 58, after his empty vehicle was found beside the Belt Parkway near a beach. A massive search was launched by air and sea — with helicopters, divers and about 100 officers — before the detective’s body was found Thursday afternoon near Plumb Beach.

The suicides brought to the fore a longstanding problem for New York City police and officers all over the country. The hardships of police work and the proximity of a deadly weapon can often bring about a tragic result — almost every other day in the United States last year, with 159 deaths.

Over the last decade, 48 New York City officers have killed themselves, officials said. Four died last year, and three so far this year.

Officials praised both men as two of the most exemplary officers on the force. “I am shocked and shattered beyond belief,” said Michael J. Palladino, president of the Detectives’ Endowment Association. “Joseph Calabrese was a dedicated detective, union official, husband and father. He was the salt of the earth.”

Chief Silks, who had previously served in Queens South, Brooklyn, the department’s Counterterrorism division and as commanding officer of the firing range at Rodman’s Neck, was praised as “one of the most capable and most dependable cops this job has ever seen” by Mr. O’Neill.

“His whole life in fact was devoted to New York City, to its police officers and to fighting crime and to protecting all the people we serve,” Mr. O’Neill said. “He wanted to make our great city a better place for all, and he certainly did exactly that every day.”

Assistant Chief Martin Morales, the commanding officer of Queens North, said about Chief Silks on Twitter: “He was a one-of-a-kind, well-accomplished individual & an amazing storyteller.

Both men had spent decades with the Police Department; Chief Silks for 38 years, Detective Calabrese, 37 years. It is unclear whether they knew one another. Chief Silks, an avid outdoorsman, marathoner and mountaineer, had just put in his retirement paperwork. He faced mandatory retirement before his 63rd birthday next month.

In April, the department held a symposium on officer suicide at Police Headquarters, bringing together more than 300 researchers and officers. More law enforcement officers in the United States have died by suicide in recent years than have been killed in the line of duty, the police said.

“We can’t hide from this discussion,” Mr. O’Neill said. “We should not and we will not.”

DC S Silks heavy lead in Weiner (HRC) laptop investigation. Was it ANOTHER murder trail by / FOR Clintons, simultaneous with 2 ex-state Sen (OK, AR) as well? If Clintons, make arrests, Find out the TRUTH 4 SILKS. DON'T COVER IT UP!
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/06/another-former-republican-state-senator-found-dead-at-home-with-gunshot-wound/ …


The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Possibly related:

2 NYPD Veterans found dead by apparent suicide. One was a homicide detective, the other was a Deputy Chief.
This incident could be "just an accident" or pre-mediated?

Texas police chief, Army veteran, missing after being knocked overboard from boat
Texas police chief, Army veteran, missing after being knocked overboard from boat

June 8, 2019 -Authorities spent Friday afternoon and evening searching Galveston Bay for one of their own after a local police chief was knocked overboard from a fishing boat.

Chris Reed, who serves as police chief for Kemah, Texas, located on the Gulf Coast just southeast of Houston, was knocked off the boat by a larger passing vessel near Texas City, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

"The initial report is, they caught a wake from another vessel passing through the area and became off balance and fell overboard," said Texas Emergency Management Coordinator Tom Munoz.

Reed's wife called 911 to report her husband had fallen overboard at about 4 p.m. local time, authorities said.
PHOTO: The U.S. Coast Guard searched Galveston Bay for missing Kemah, Texas, Police Chief Chris Reed, who fell overboard from a fishing boat on Friday, June 7, 2019. (KTRK)

PHOTO: The U.S. Coast Guard searched Galveston Bay for missing Kemah, Texas, Police Chief Chris Reed, who fell overboard from a fishing boat on Friday, June 7, 2019. (KTRK)

He was not wearing a life jacket.

"Chief Reed is a big, big part of Galveston County law enforcement," Texas City Police Chief Joe Stanton said at a press conference Friday night. "I want to thank all of the agencies that have responded -- the response has been overwhelming -- and our hearts and prayers go out to the family."

"We're a tight-knit group here and he's one of ours, and we're out there and we're going to find him," Stanton added.

On Saturday morning, the city released a statement on Facebook sending "prayers and thoughts" to Reed's family as the search continued.

We will continue our search efforts through this evening and into tomorrow morning and the Coast Guard will continue its search efforts as long as we feel that he is viable on the surface," Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Caren Damon told reporters Friday evening.

Reed also serves on the board for the Clear Creek Independent School District.

Reed is a former Army paratrooper who took over as Kemah police chief two years ago. He has three adult children.

Both men had spent decades with the Police Department; Chief Silks for 38 years, Detective Calabrese, 37 years. It is unclear whether they knew one another. Chief Silks, an avid outdoorsman, marathoner and mountaineer, had just put in his retirement paperwork. He faced mandatory retirement before his 63rd birthday next month.
I sense "suicide" is probably highly unlikely in both officers deaths? Both were seasoned officers and close to retirement (with full benefits) and in the event of a suicide, life insurance policies will not pay out the claim - leaving the family to use other means towards burial. Plus, the suicide leaves a black mark on their career achievements.

The suicides of a veteran chief and a homicide detective prompted the police commissioner to urge officers to seek help if they feel despondent
And this statement by the Police Commissioner, sounds more like a cover-up, to take the attention away from a "possible motive" in the two deaths?


The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Regarding Senator Linda Collins-Smith, very sad, as are the others. It was also noted that husband, a Judge, had earned his law degree from "University of Arkansas at Little Rock in 1979" and it was at this time (at UofA) that "that fall, a young partner at the Rose Law Firm, Hillary Rodham, now Hillary Rodham Clinton, taught a workshop as part of the trial advocacy course."

Legal fields are small, and the Judge was a democrat.

Moving along, immediately this case has a gag order issued by another Judge:

Circuit Judge Harold S. Erwin signed off on a gag order Wednesday morning preventing the release of major material in the investigation, including law enforcement and medical reports.

The document refers to the investigation into Collins-Smith’s death but provides no additional information about how she died.

Prosecutors asked the judge to sign off on the seal, writing in a motion that releasing documents typically public in any criminal case “could hamper the ability of the court to impanel a fair and impartial jury by prejudicial pretrial publicity.”

Henry Boyce, prosecuting attorney for the Third Judicial District, did not immediately return messages seeking further comment.
Pretrial publicity is sometimes the case, however not always depending on who is a suspect. No indications of a suspect, yet a list is likely being compiled.

That last Twiiter post you had there, c.a., sure makes one wonder where this could go; if the evidence lead there, and yet if it did point in that direction, it probably won't see too much light.


The Living Force
FOTCM Member
It's getting stranger, and stranger by the day.

U.S. Commerce Department official Lola Gulomova, who previously worked for NASA and the World Bank, was killed on Friday in an apparent murder-suicide in Washington, D.C., local officials say. The suspect was identified as her husband.

The incident happened at about 9:25 a.m. when officers responded to the 4300 block of Windom Place, Northwest, for a welfare check, according to the Metropolitan Police Department. When officers arrived, they gained entry to the residence and observed a man with a handgun.

“Officers heard a gunshot then found the adult male suffering from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound,” police said in a statement. “An unconscious and unresponsive adult female was also found inside the residence suffering from multiple gunshot wounds.”

Gulomova, who was 45 years old, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her husband, 51-year-old Jason Rieff, was rushed to an area hospital where he was also pronounced dead, according to police. The couple had two children but they were not at home at the time of the shooting.

“Preliminary investigation by detectives from the Homicide Branch suggest that Ms. Gulomova’s death is a homicide and Mr. Rieff’s death is a suicide,” police said. “The investigation also revealed that this incident is domestic in nature.”

Javlon Vakhabov, the Uzbek Ambassador to the United States, said he was “absolutely shocked” by the news.

“We lost a true friend of Uzbekistan. My deepest sympathies to her close ones,” he said. “Have met her last week at the [embassy]. She was supposed to leave for Tashkent [on Saturday] to lead [the] first ever trade mission to Uzbekistan.”

Gulomova was originally from Tajikistan and graduated from the School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) at Johns Hopkins University in Washington, D.C. in 2001. She worked at the Work Bank as a consultant for more than two years and later joined the United Methodist Committee on Relief.

In 2006, Gulomova became NASA Deputy Russia Representative at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow to manage bilateral space relations between the U.S. and Russia, according to a government profile. As part of her work, she ensured that U.S. astronauts on the International Space Station received appropriate support.

Gulomova joined the U.S. Commerce Department in 2008 and worked at diplomatic posts in Guangzhou, China; Taipei, Taiwan; and New Delhi, India. She covered major sectors such as civil aviation, energy, and foreign investment in the U.S. While working in India, she supported numerous high-level visits, including a visit by U.S. President Barack Obama in November 2010.



The Living Force
FOTCM Member
U.S. Commerce Department official Lola Gulomova, who previously worked for NASA and the World Bank, was killed on Friday in an apparent murder-suicide in Washington, D.C., local officials say. The suspect was identified as her husband.
A Foreign Service couple’s contentious divorce ends in deadly violence

They were scheduled to be in D.C. Superior Court Friday morning to work out the final details of a fiercely contested divorce. But Lola Gulomova and Jason Rieff never made it.

Shortly before the 10 a.m. hearing was to begin, Rieff’s lawyer got an urgent message from her client, according to two law enforcement officials familiar with the case who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an active police investigation. Something was wrong at the couple’s house near American University in Northwest Washington.

The lawyer, Jenny Brody, said she called 911, and police, fearing a mental health emergency, broke down the front door to the redbrick home. They were met by the 51-year-old Rieff holding a handgun, according to a police report. Police said he retreated and shot himself in the head.

In another room, police said, they found 45-year-old Gulomova dead from several gunshot wounds. Police said they believe Rieff killed her before he shot himself. He died at a hospital.

Both Gulomova and Rieff were career Foreign Service officers, and they frequently traveled together in joint postings overseas. A friend said the two met at the Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies in the District. The couple married in 2000 and had two daughters, who police said were not home during the shootings.

Their older daughter had been due to be promoted from the fifth grade Friday evening at a ceremony at Janney Elementary School in Tenleytown. The principal postponed the event, noting in a letter to parents that “one of our Janney families has been greatly impacted by a recent tragedy.”

From interviews with two friends and court documents, it appears that the couple’s marital problems began in 2015, after they returned from their last joint overseas assignment. Eventually, Gulomova filed for divorce.

Court records show that Rieff became angry when he learned that Gulomova had accepted a four-year posting to Belgrade, set to start in summer 2020, and that she planned to take their two young daughters.

A judge in March granted Gulomova a default divorce after Rieff repeatedly missed hearings and gave her custody of the children. But the judge had set another hearing for Friday to hear from Rieff’s newly hired lawyer who had contested the decision, saying that her client had not received adequate notice.


The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I'm unable to gather much information on this Philadelphia Deputy Sheriff but his death is suspicious? He died last Friday (June 7) and it's just being reported in the open media. The reports seem to "play up that he was openly gay and was a liaison with the LGBT community," yet, he was only 27, an Army vet and had the highest score on the Deputy Sheriff's exam - when he applied for the job in 2013. He was scheduled to be promoted to Sergeant on July 1st, less then a month away ... but he decided to commit suicide at his desk?

Philadelphia’s first openly gay deputy sheriff found dead
Philadelphia’s first openly gay deputy sheriff found dead

June 11, 2019 - A 27-year-old man who was Philadelphia's first openly gay Deputy Sheriff was found dead in his office last Friday (June 7) from what is believed to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Dante Austin was the Philadelphia Sheriff’s office’s first LGBT+ community liaison officer.

He was found dead at his desk two days before the Philadelphia Pride parade.

“This is a tragedy for the Sheriff’s Office, Deputy Austin’s family and the local LGBTQ community,” said Sheriff Jewell Williams, in a statement released by the Philadelphia Sheriff’s office.

“Dante was a person who believed in and cared about everybody,” said Williams.

“He had the highest score on the Deputy Sheriff’s exam when he was hired in November 2013. He was our first openly gay deputy sheriff and we promoted him to become our first LGBTQ community liaison in May 2017. Dante was scheduled to be promoted to Sergeant on July 1, 2019.”

Austin was also an Army veteran.

On Friday, the Sheriff’s office closed at midday and the rainbow flag outside Philadelphia’s city hall flew at half mast.

While officials believe that Austin died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, they are waiting for confirmation from the Medical Examiner’s Office.

Austin had previously worked with Michael Grossberg and the Delaware Valley Legacy Fund, which is an organisation providing funding to LGBT+ nonprofits.

“I think the LGBT community in Philadelphia has struggled with issues of race and issues of equality and having leaders like Dante in our community was really fundamental,” Grossberg said.

The Mayor’s commission on LGBT+ affairs in Philadelphia also released a statement.

“Dante worked tirelessly, always, to lift up the most marginalised among us, to secure safety and protection for the most vulnerable, and to serve his community with unparalleled dedication and a warmth and generosity that moved so many of us,” it read.

“Dante’s legacy is one of boldness, bravery, compassion, and an unfailing commitment to a kinder and more just world for all. As we move forward in mourning and honouring our friend and colleague, may we cherish and celebrate the ways he changed us, improved our city, and protected and saved lives.”

Philadelphia's first openly gay deputy sheriff found dead at his desk in apparent suicide
Philadelphia's first openly gay deputy sheriff found dead at his desk in apparent suicide

June 10, 2019 - Philadelphia's first openly gay Deputy Sheriff committed suicide at his desk from an apparent gunshot wound on Friday, just before the city's weekend of pride celebrations were set to begin.

Dante Austin, 27, was found dead at his desk at the Philadelphia Sheriff's office. An official cause of death is awaiting confirmation from the local Medical Examiner's office.

Austin was an Army veteran who also served as the department's first LGBTQ community liaison and was known as a "fierce advocate." He was set to be promoted to the position of sergeant next month, according to CBS Philly.

Sheriff Jewell Williams reflected on Austin's service with the Philadelphia Police Department, which he joined in 2013, and called his death “a tragedy for the Sheriff’s Office, Deputy Austin’s family and the local LGBTQ community.”

He had the highest score on the Deputy Sheriff’s exam when he was hired in November 2013. He was our first openly gay deputy sheriff and we promoted him to become our first LGBTQ community liaison in May 2017.”

The Mayor’s Commission on LGBT Affairs also issued a statement in the wake of Austin's death, describing his significant impact on the community in Philadelphia.

Texas police chief, Army veteran, missing after being knocked overboard from boat
Texas police chief, Army veteran, missing after being knocked overboard from boat

June 8, 2019 -Authorities spent Friday afternoon and evening searching Galveston Bay for one of their own after a local police chief was knocked overboard from a fishing boat.
Texas police chief's body found after being knocked overboard by large wave
Texas police chief's body found after being knocked overboard by large wave

June 10, 2019 - The Coast Guard-led search for a missing Texas Police Chief has ended with the recovery Sunday of his body.

Kemah Police Chief Chris Reed, a paratrooper when he served in the Army,
was reported missing after being knocked off his fishing boat Friday into Galveston Bay by the wake of a passing large vessel.

At 7:54 a.m. Sunday a body matching the description of the chief was recovered from the water by a Galveston County Marine Unit boat crew near mile marker 32 on the west end of the Houston Ship Channel, the City of Kemah said.

Coast Guard search crews covered more than 650 square miles during the approximately 40-hour search.

Reed, 50, was out on his boat with his wife.

Local media reported that he wasn’t wearing a life jacket.

In addition to being police chief and ex-paratrooper, Reed was described as a wrestling coach, city manager, police chief, school board trustee and good friend.


The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Jun 14, 2019
An NYPD Officer took his life on Friday, the third member of the Department to do so in under two weeks.

EMS was requested to the 121 Precinct in Staten Island at around 4:00PM, for reports of an officer with a gunshot wound. The officer was found shot in a parked vehicle behind the Precinct at 55 Wilcox Street near Sanders Street. Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead on the scene.

Sources tell Breaking911 that the officer was a “Domestic Violence” officer at the Precinct.

The Department is still in shock after the recent suicides of Deputy Chief Steven Silks in Queens on June 5th, followed by the suicide of Detective Joseph Calabrese on June 6 in Brooklyn.

Silks had handed in his retirement papers to the NYPD the night before he killed himself. He was scheduled to retire at the end of July after 38 years on the job.

Calabrese was 58 years old, and was on the job for around 30 years.

June 11, 2019
Friends said Deputy Chief Steven J. Silks took his life not out of despair from his job, but the prospect of losing it.

Deputy Chief Steven J. Silks, 62, showed up for the retirement of a fellow officer a few weeks ago, one of countless ceremonial walkouts from a police station in his almost four decades on the job.

His own mandatory retirement was fast approaching with his 63rd birthday. He spotted a friend in the crowd who had himself recently retired.

“He said, ‘I’m going to be joining you soon,’” the friend, Joseph Fox, recalled. Chief Silks seemed his usual cheerful self, but nonetheless, Mr. Fox replied, “Steve, please call me when it gets close, because this should be a wonderful experience, not a stressful one.”

That call would never come. On June 5, just hours after his retirement was announced, Chief Silks parked on a quiet street around the corner from the building where his walkout ceremony would have taken place and shot himself in the head.

His suicide rocked his large circle of close friends in the ranks, bringing tears to the jaded eyes of veteran officers, including many of the highest ranking figures in the Police Department.

Another veteran, Detective Joseph Calabrese, took his own life a day later, prompting the police commissioner, James P. O'Neill, to issue a public plea to officers to seek help if they are despondent.

The police see each self-inflicted death not only as a tragedy but as a seemingly preventable act to be analyzed and learned from so as to catch future warning signs. But few cases refuse to comport with what is understood about police suicides as steadfastly as Chief Silks’s

He was not burned out. He hadn’t seen too much, hadn’t let the job get him down. He seemed to have relished the work, from his beginnings driving a patrol car in the bad-old-days Bronx to overseeing the steady crackle of gunfire as the commanding officer at the firing range.

It seems that, in the end he could not bear to let the job go, his friends said.

“Steve Silks was a policeman through and through,” said Rabbi Alvin Kass, the department’s chief chaplain, whose eulogy on Tuesday called Chief Silks “one of our noblest sons” and sought to place him in a tradition of law enforcement going back to biblical days.

“Someone who personified what the N.Y.P.D. was at its very best.”

His fellow officers gave him a sprawling, honor-guard funeral on Tuesday beneath Queens skies gone a fittingly bright blue. Lines of white-gloved officers in dress uniform saluted his coffin in the street. Bagpipes played “Amazing Grace.” A single police helicopter flew over.

A former paperboy in the Bronx neighborhood where he grew up and still lived, Chief Silks started out patrolling the rough-and-tumble streets near his home in the 1980s.

“Lot of drugs, lot of guns,” Chief Terence A. Monahan, the department’s highest-ranking uniformed officer who also began his career in the Bronx, recalled in his eulogy. “We never wanted to miss a day of work.”

Chief Silks liked driving his patrol car with the windows down. “A key factor to being a good cop,” he once said in an interview, “is being able to hear what’s going on in the street. Glass breaking in a storefront. A muted cry for help.” He continued: “In the winter, I’d ride around with the windows down and the heat on. That’s how I was taught by the old-timers.”

Later, he looked after rookie officers, leaving a lasting impression on generations. Think about it,” said Joseph Giacalone, a retired sergeant. “Most people remember their second-grade schoolteachers. He was that kind of mentor.

He rose through the ranks — captain, deputy inspector, inspector, deputy chief — and worked all over the city, from the range, where he indulged a deep interest in firearms, to Police Headquarters and the boroughs, eventually landing as the second in command in Patrol Borough Queens North.

“He fell in love with this place,” Chief Monahan said in the Reform Temple of Forest Hills on Tuesday. “He could have been out three years ago.” But he always found some reason to stay on — one more United States Open tournament to oversee, one more new boss to get settled in.

He was an avid outdoorsman, with a photograph of the day he reached the summit of Mount Everest framed on his desk. He ran marathons and shoveled the sidewalks of neighbors he had known his entire adult life. He told great stories. He lived alone, no wife, no children, and spent many free nights working.

“He attended all our meetings,” said Heidi Chain, president of the community council at the nearby precinct. “He attended our concerts. He attended our dinners, our events.”

Retirement is mandatory upon the age of 63. Chief Silks turned 62 last July and watched the end creep ever closer. When he worked in Times Square last New Year’s Eve, he told his new commanding officer, Assistant Chief Martin Morales, it was special because it was “his last one in uniform.”

It’s not uncommon for officers facing retirement to struggle with a loss of identity and purpose, Mr. Fox, the retired chief, said, and he frequently offered counsel by asking questions: “‘Does any of the good that you’ve done in all your years go away?’” He said the person usually thinks for a minute and says, “‘No.’”

Friends caught glimpses at Chief Silks’s anger at being forced to retire. He told a longtime neighbor, “My birthday’s on the 10th and they’re kicking me out on the ninth.”

But he also bought a new Ford Explorer and mounted a case on top for his kayak, as if equipping himself for adventures in retirement. Which leads to the questions many were asking themselves on Tuesday.
“We talk about it in the bathroom in hushed tones,” Chief Monahan said in his eulogy. “Something we missed. Something we could have said. Something I could have said.”

Chief Monahan continued. “I wish that he’d come forward. I wish we could have had that conversation,” he said. “And I pray, had he come to me, that I would have had the ability to hear.”

In 2005, an officer under Chief Silks’s command at the firing range took his life. In an interview that day, his words have fit perfectly with those spoken at his own crowded funeral in Queens some 14 years later.

“Super guy, step-up guy, always looking to take on more responsibility,” Chief Silks said of the officer who died in 2005.
“The command is in shock. Besides being in shock and asking, ‘Why?’ we’re going to miss this guy. He is one of the people you look forward to seeing.”



The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Another report of two more NYPD suicides:

Aug 16 2019 - NYPD Suicide: 9th Police Officer Dies Amid Mental Health Crisis
NYPD Suicide: 9th Police Officer Dies Amid Mental Health Crisis

An off-duty New York city police officer killed himself on Wednesday, adding to a troubling increase in death by suicides within the New York City Police Department.

The officer with more than 25 years of service, whose name was not immediately released, became the ninth NYPD officer to die by suicide this year, authorities said, USA Today reported.

Officials added that he shot himself in the head at his home in Queens. He was rushed to a hospital in Manhasset, where he was pronounced dead.

The loss comes only a day after another off-duty police officer killed himself in Yonkers.

The department tweeted out the news, offering resources and support to anyone who may be struggling with mental health.

Police Commissioner James O'Neill has declared a mental health crisis in the department amid the spate of officer suicides. He has spoken out about the problem, urging officers to seek help if they need it.

"We must make sure our cops understand the process when seeking help during a crisis – their careers don’t have to be adversely affected," O'Neill tweeted in July, linking to an interview with WNYC radio about suicide prevention.

Miriam Heyman, who worked on a first-responder mental health study with the Ruderman Family Foundation, said that while speaking with a former Boston police commissioner, she listened to a story about a murder scene that she assumed was a turning point in the officer's career. Rather, the incident happened only the day before.

"Trauma is a regular part of the job for first responders," Heyman added.

Officers encounter 188 traumatic experiences on average over the course of their careers, leading to deteriorating mental health, she noted.

Officers often may not seek help because of cultural stigmas and because of the risk of losing their jobs.

"There’s a real fear that if they speak up they could lose their ability to carry a gun and therefore lose their job," Heyman stated,noting that raising awareness and speaking openly about mental health is the best way to combat it.

Media coverage helps, she said, but it's important for police leadership speak up as well.

"There should be signs around headquarters letting people know that resources are there and that they won’t be penalized for trying to access those resources," Heyman added.


The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Rising suicides among police baffle French authorities
US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)

Deaths by suicide for French police now outnumber deaths in the line of duty, a new study has found.

Monday, August 19, 2019 - Three riot police officers, a police commander, a police academy teacher, all are among eight French police officers who have killed themselves recently. That makes 64 so far this year, and the number just keeps on climbing.

Deaths by suicide for French police now outnumber deaths in the line of duty. The protectors need protecting, say police unions, which are demanding more help to stop the problem.

Those who choose to end their lives are from everywhere in France and of all ages, many with young children. The latest death came Wednesday, in the Ardeche region in southeast France. Why they step across, what one police union calls the “thin blue line”, remains a question that French authorities have so far been unable to answer.

A parliamentary inquiry, made public in July, lists a multitude of reasons for the stress and despair among French police including overwork, since a series of terrorist attacks that started in January 2015 and the weekly, often extremely violent, anti-government protests by the yellow vest movement, which have been ongoing since November, seeking economic and social justice. It does not single out any one reason.

“Given the situation today, 2019 could be the worst in the last 30 years,” said Denis Jacob, head of the Alternative Police CFDT union.

A Senate report last year showed that the French police suicide rate was 36% higher than the rate for France’s general population, but also uncovered no single reason behind the suicides.

“We don’t have an understanding” of why, Interior Minister, Christophe Castaner, conceded in April as he announced yet another prevention plan, the third minister in a row to do so, underlining the authorities’ failure to solve the public health problem.

Significantly, Castaner acknowledged that police suicides must not be considered “external to work,” and seen as only the result of personal problems. The National Police Director, Eric Morvan, broke a long standing taboo, sending a letter to all officers encouraging them to talk “without fear of being judged” and saying discussing distress “is never a weakness.”

While psychological trauma, including encounters with violence, is a risk factor for suicide, there are 10-15 factors that can feed the “acute crisis” which leads to taking one’s own life, Catherine Pinson, a psychologist in charge of the police support service, told the Senate inquiry.

The “hypervigilance” of police, in the face of potential terror attacks, is a clear stress factor that keeps police in their “bubble” even at home, Amelie Puaux, a psychologist with the support service, told the French senators.

And the 2016 deadly attack on a police couple in front of their small child at their home in Magnanville, west of Paris, dramatically impacted police officers fearful for their families, she said. Some moved, changed services or resigned to protect their loved ones.

Sebastian Roche, a research director at the National Center for Scientific research, who specializes in comparing police systems, says there are simply no studies to understand the causes of the French suicides or impact studies to evaluate prevention measures, which he calls a “huge weakness” within the Interior Ministry.

He doesn’t believe that PTSD — with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder — is at the root of the problem, noting the dip in police suicides in 2015, when deadly Islamic State attacks in France began in January and culminated in November with the Paris massacres that left 130 people dead.

“All of a sudden, their mission made sense,” he said by telephone. “The population judged them as useful.”

French citizens applauded police as heroes during that stretch in 2015. That image lost its shine over time, and then collapsed, as French police matched exceptionally violent yellow vest anti-government protests with harsh containment tactics that maimed some protesters.

At one point, yellow vest protesters, picking up on the suicide wave, even chanted “Kill yourselves! Kill yourselves!” at lines of police.

While suicide among police is a problem in many countries, France's rate appears exceptionally high.

In the US, with a population five times that of France, 167 officers died by suicide in 2018 and 111 so far this year,
according to Blue H.E.L.P., a Massachusetts-based organization devoted to preventing police suicides.

In Italy, a fellow European nation slightly less populous than France, 31 officers have killed themselves this year, according to the police support group Cerchioblu. Britain's Office for National Statistics counts 21 to 23 police suicides a year between 2015 and 2017, but unlike in France, most British police do not have guns.

The French parliamentary reports laid out a kaleidoscope of deficiencies within the security forces that can eat away at morale and feelings of self-worth, from distant superiors fixated on numbers of arrests to the 23 million hours of unpaid overtime officers had worked as December 2018, according to the parliamentary inquiry.

A lack of equipment and dilapidated police stations and living quarters were also cited. In the Paris region, the inquiry found it “wasn’t exceptional” to find five officers sharing a cramped living space or for some to be sleeping in their cars.

The government pledged to launch a platform of psychologists operating 24/7 by June, but say now that won’t be ready until September.

A hotline is available, but Jacob is among those who think that an emergency number alone won’t solve the French police suicide problem. His union wants police to have access to independent psychological services, not those run by the government, so that seeking help — now widely perceived as a failure — can be discreet. Unions also want deeper investments and a structural overhaul.

Jacob said, despite the arrival of female police officers, a French police officer still “has the image of a macho. He doesn’t cry. He doesn’t suffer. He’s tough. To admit you suffer is to admit you have weaknesses. It’s still taboo with us.”

An officer also risks losing their gun if a psychologist deems the firearm a risk, a development that takes the officer out of the field and holds up their problems for all to see, he said.

“It’s a vicious circle,” a police officer who for 20 years sacrificed family life for work recounted on LCI TV, months after pulling himself away from killing himself.

“One night you go home, look around and it’s empty,” he said. “I was tired. I took my gun and put it in my mouth.”

Yet looking at a photo of his daughter and thinking of bodies he’d removed from suicide scenes stopped him.

“No, I don’t have the right” to kill myself, he said. (Source: AP)
Top Bottom