4 spice chocolate buckwheat bread

abstract

Dagobah Resident
Hello all! First thing I wanna say is that i appreciate the positive feedback i got when i put up the photo on facebook. It was pretty tastey!

So first, here is the recipe. You will need:

buckwheat flour

milk (obviously we would use rice or almond milk, even water works though)

1 Egg

salt (my preference is sea salt of course)

sugar (again, we would use stevia or other healthy-er substitute.

Butter (organic, preferably)

baking powder

CHOCOLATE!! (I used cocoa powder and even melted a few sections of a bar of unsweet baking chocolate

in the microwave and added that. but anything will do.)

spices (i had cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon, hence the name 4 spice.)

(NOTE: the following is the basic recipe, just change the amounts proportionally if you need to make more.)

Okay, so in a mixing bowl (i just use a large one) put in a cup of flour, your sweetener, 1/2 teaspoon of salt,

a teaspoon of baking powder, add your egg, "milk", and butter. It's one egg, 1 cup milk, two tablespoons butter. Give it a good stir!

Then add in your chocolate, whether it's cocao powder or whatever, and stir that in. (start with maybe 1/4 cup or 1/2, whatever is comfortable.)

TASTE IT! Is it chocolatey enough? Is it sweet enough?

If that's all good, then add your spices. I used the four listed above, but really you can just use whatever

you want or even no spices at all. I made sure that the cinnamon dominated the taste, after the chocolate, so

you really should just play around, taste the batter to make sure it tastes how you want.

Then you're gonna pour your batter into a breadpan (or just a pan in general for that matter, see

what's funny is to get the round shape i just used my cast iron skillet. Best cooking tool ever!)

Then pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Stick yo' bread in there and let it bake for twenty minutes.

Time varies depending on your oven, laura said you know when something you're baking is almost done, because you

really start to smell it. So keep an eye on it, i suppose.

When it's done pull it out and let it cool for just a few minutes. This is very good warm because it's got chocolate!

So there you have it. Questions and comments welcome, of course.

That sounds good, thanks for the recipe. I might put it on the back burner to try someday. How much do you put of the sweetner, or is it to taste? Also don't forget that you can replace eggs with 1:3 Tbs mixture of flax meal and water and chocolate with carob powder. I myself haven't been eating any caffeine, but not having chocolate might take away the whole point of a chocolate bread :P.

http://www.astrologyzine.com/healthy-chocolate.shtml

Useful article regarding chocolate and how friggin' healthy it is! :D

Thanks for the recipe abstract, I'll try it out hopefully soon and give feedback.

abstract said:
Hello all! First thing I wanna say is that i appreciate the positive feedback i got when i put up the photo on facebook. It was pretty tastey!

So first, here is the recipe. You will need:

thanks abstract for the mouth waterting recipe. I will try pretty soon

Hallo abstract,

That sounds like a mouthwatering receipt, I'll try it right away!

Just a quick question: Have you tried this receipt without the chocolate, kind of a savoury version of it? I know, to take the chocolate out of a chocolate bread receipt doesn't make much sense. The reason I'm asking is that I am after a good savoury buckwheat receipt. Still tinkering with other receipts, but so far not found the "gold standard" yet.

What I am trying to achieve is a yeast-free buckwheat bread, maybe even based on sourdough.

I'll keep tinkering and report back, if I find something among these lines that works!

Thanks for the recipe, Abstract. I will give it a try. I have not had much luck baking with buckwheat, the bread always turns out to be too heavy and seems raw. I cannot wait for Laura's video. Maybe if I see it how it's done, I hope I will finally get it.

Just a quick question: Have you tried this receipt without the chocolate, kind of a savoury version of it? I know, to take the chocolate out of a chocolate bread receipt doesn't make much sense. The reason I'm asking is that I am after a good savoury buckwheat receipt. Still tinkering with other receipts, but so far not found the "gold standard" yet.

I've made it before without chocolate or spices and it still tastes good. But see, in my opinion, this recipe is very, very anti-candida friendly because the spices all have

anti fungal properties. Buckwheat is a super food to begin with. Chocolate is an appetite supressant, and buckwheat scores pretty high on satisfying hunger, if i'm not mistaken.

Neither buckwheat or chocolate will feed candida, again if i'm not mistaken. Buckwheat helps control blood sugar. Chocolate, as i've said before, is very full of anti oxidants

(if you don't ruin it with sugar). And organic butter has butyric acid. So the thinking behind it was to hit a lot of bases healthwise, with a piece of bread! :lol:

This is something you could have for breakfast, get a little bit of carbs and then the blood sugar control and the appetite supression effect would be ideal for staving off

sugar cravings during the day, this might be ideal also for people trying to lose weight. Plus when you make it, you can show it off to your friends still chowing away

at their processed food. ;D

I like spice food, but wait here you share a spice chocolate buckwheat bread recipe this beautiful. I will try to bake this recipe of you, I got a new bread recipe that I found here.

Thanks for that recipe Abstract. I've tried it yesterday, had run out of butter so used coconut oil (thickened), xylitol, pure cocoa powder, and added corn starch to the buckwheat + a bit of vanilla to the spices (cinammon, ginger and nutmeg, no clove). We ate it with frozen cherries. Was good!

dmiranda91 said:
I like spice food, but wait here you share a spice chocolate buckwheat bread recipe this beautiful. I will try to bake this recipe of you, I got a new bread recipe that I found here.

Hi dmiranda91,

Welcome to our forum. :)

We recommend all new members to post an introduction in the Newbies section telling us a bit about themselves, how they found the cass material, and how much of the work here they have read.

You can have a look through that board to see how others have done it.

Thanks for that recipe Abstract. I've tried it yesterday, had run out of butter so used coconut oil (thickened), xylitol, pure cocoa powder, and added corn starch to the buckwheat + a bit of vanilla to the spices (cinammon, ginger and nutmeg, no clove). We ate it with frozen cherries. Was good!

Wow! That sounds like a great variation. :D

Thanks for this recipe abstract! :flowers:

My wife and I tried it two times already.
First time we added coconut flour and coconut 'chips' (no egg, no milk) but baked it a little bit too much so the result was a little bit dry. And 'chips' was totally tasteless so I wouldn't recommend it. :-[
Last night we followed the recipe to the letter (except the choco bars, used pure cocoa powder only; egg and rice milk) and it was great. The spices have blended greatly in the overall flavor.
My wife ate it with icecream and frozen cherries and was delighted.

Gertrudes said:
Aragorn said:
I just wanted to share this if someone else is sugar sensitive and plans to eat this bread. My symptoms could of course be caused by some allergic reaction or maybe the fibers, altough I've never been this sensitive to any fibers before.
Hi Aragorn, I'm sorry to hear that you had those "side effects".
You have mentioned sugar, did you actually use sugar in the bread, or xylitol as presented in the video? I'm just asking because sugar can be highly inflammatory, and that includes an inflamed brain. You have mentioned feeling sluggish, and as if your brain was swollen, so I thought this could be a possibility.

We used some organic brown cane sugar from Peru instead of xylitol or rapadura (we run out of it).
Could somebody point me to some scientific arguments about 'evilness' of the sugar itself (white, brown, organic, in honey... as opposed to other sweeteners like stevia, xylitol, rapadura...)?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom