A couple of shows as a possible distraction

I started watching Ertugrul. I'm only on episode eight. I don't feel too excited about it just yet. Maybe it will grow on me, it probably will over time as I get accustomed to the cultural setting and become familiar with the characters.

Well, in my personal opinion, this show or any other show doesn't have to be everyone's cup of tea. Sure, we may feel excited recommending something if we liked it, but then someone may like a particular genre and not this one. It can also be cultural. All kind of reasons. This is just in case if you don't like the show after all. For example, I still don't get how Star Trek Discovery could be watchable at all. ;-D

, I still don't get how Star Trek Discovery could be watchable at all.

I literally just turned off the TV after watching the latest episode of Discovery to see your reply. :-D I really like it in spite of the heavy progressive agenda parts of the show.

But you're absolutely right, Ertugrul may turn out not to be a show that appeals to me.

Re Ertugrul, have made a couple of posts about it following the recommendations from the MindMatters show when interviewing Matt Ehret. I was shocked by how many episodes make up the series (if correct it is around 76), and it is a commitment of time to catch them. So far, it has hooked me, yet likely it is not for all.

Here are some quotes from the series by Ibn Arabi, in no particular order (some quotes he repeats in the series seen thus far). Other characters have some equally good scripts in which to quote from:

This world is a place of preparation where one is given many lessons and passes many tests. What is bad is what you do with the world when you become blind to truth and totally consumed by your desires, lust, and ambition for it.

-Ibn Arabi
  1. I am my lover and lover myself. I am a king and a subject myself.
  2. There was a time, when I blamed my companion if his religion did not resemble mine. Now, however, my heart accepts every form, Love alone is my religion.
  3. God will bring you assistants and the people you will help sooner or later.
  4. Such knowledge can only be had by actual experience, nor can the reason of man define it, or arrive at any cognizance of it by deduction, just as one cannot, without experience, know the taste of honey, the bitterness of patience, the bliss of union, love, passion, or desire.
  1. The desires of this world are like sea water. The more you drink of them, the more you thirst.
  2. Purify my soul from doubt.
  3. My heart has become capable of every form.
  4. The manifold [universe] exists and yet it does not exist.
  5. Such knowledge can only be had by actual experience, nor can the reason of man define it, or arrive at any cognizance of it by deduction, just as one cannot, without experience, know the taste of honey, the bitterness of patience, the bliss of union, love, passion, or desire.
  6. All that passes away from the aspect of the manifest comes under the aspect of the hidden. The essence is one. Nothing has passed away.
  7. Choose less over more in it. Be satisfied with what you have, even if it is less than what others have. In fact, prefer to have less.
  8. When the secret of one particle of the atoms is clear, the secret of all created things, both outward and inward, is clear; and you do not see in this world or the next, anything except God.
  9. Seek the company of the wise, who know. Agree with what they say, for one understands only that with which one agrees. Be sincere in what you say- a single tongue should not speak two different words. No deceit or fraud should enter into your thoughts. Do not belittle anyone or anything, for everyone and everything in its inner being wishes for the same thing.
  10. Wheresoever you turn, there is the face of Allah (God).
  11. Attach yourself to Me. No one is more inward than I.
  12. This world is a place of preparation where one is given many lessons and passes many tests. What is bad is what you do with the world when you become blind to truth and totally consumed by your desires, lust, and ambition for it.
  13. Be established in truth.
  14. Do everything you do in order to come close to your Lord in your worship and prayers. Think that each deed may be your last act, each prayer your last prostration, that you may not have another chance. If you do this, it will be another motivation for becoming heedful and also for becoming sincere and truthful.
  15. What you plant here, you will reap there.
  16. If pain wasn’t the biggest blessing, why would God give it?
  17. On Him alone we depend for everything.
  18. Whoever builds his faith exclusively on demonstrative proofs and deductive arguments, builds a faith on which it is impossible to rely. For he is affected by the negativities of constant objections. Certainty (al-yaqin) does not derive from the evidences of the mind but pours out from the depths of the heart.
  19. As for the theorists and thinkers, and the scholastic theologians, with their talk about the soul and its properties, none of them have grasped the reality; such speculation can never grasp it. He who seeks to know the reality through theoretical speculation is flogging a dead horse; for he who seeks to know It by any means other than the one proper to It, will never grasp It.” Ibn Arabi
  20. If you hold to the unity, you are with the truth
  21. Every bird flies with their own kind, eagles with eagles, crows with crows.
  22. The ignorant one does not see his ignorance as he basks in its darkness; nor does the knowledgeable one see his own knowledge, for he basks in its light.
  23. Therefore, know your self, who you are, what is your identity.
  24. If men knew themselves, they would know God; and if they really knew God, they would be satisfied with Him and would think of Him alone.
  25. Your personal nature seeks its paradise.
  26. How can the heart travel to God, when it is changed by its desires?
  27. These stories I have recounted to you will remind you of what is within you.
  28. If I am close to Him, he brings me even closer.
  29. When you know yourself, your ‘I’ness vanishes.
  30. O God, I ask of You light and guidance.”
  31. I follow the Way of love.

I was ready to post the following on the US election thread, and finally, I prefer to post this here.
This series inspires me incredibly at this moment, and it seems i'm not alone :whistle:.
As im getting tired i just copy/paste the text which was ready to be posted in the other thread - take this as, i hope, a fun lecture, and if anyone want to prolounge the discussion on this comparison, then with pleasure ;-)
--------------

This is fiction ! But if heroes are there to inspire us, why not imagine a similar situation, not as perfect as a true hero which has virtually no defects, but i wanted to drow a parallal between this (famous) Ertugrul series & Trump.

See this as an original contribution instead of doing a bet on the future ... and as we are all waiting for the "kick-off" ...

And no, i'm not in love with Trump, i just ... wrote the text in one row, as I often do (and often discard all at the end or save the text among a long series of unfinished texts saved on my PC)

Ertugrul vs Ertrumpgrul
For those who saw or follow the Ertugrul series, i thought about a funny word combination : Ertrumpgrul ! :scared:

Ok, that's funny at first glance, because in the series, he's a true hero, here .... question is : is Trump a hero ?

Well ... in our modern era, how can we "ponder" what Trump did and decided during these 4 last years ? I just would like to concentrate on what he did for the poors, the weaks, the normal people (or even the deplorables). To respond to this, one you just need to read the many comments on him, many testimonies of people who didn't care about him or even the contrary, but who finally admitted that this guy is ... inspiring. Look the crowds gathering wherever he goes ? Is it for the show, for the ambiance, beers and burgers, or is it to see "the man" ? He's loved, and it's rare to see a president using this word in return, and even less who really think it, but he did and i'm pretty sure he thinks it.

At least, if we consider how much he fought the pedophile networks, I mean, this is unique, extraordinary ! Who would have bet a single dollar on this 4 years before ? Nobody, no ? And it's not a small target, not at feeble one, i would even say it's a dangerous one, even for a US president, but he did it, and he kicked hard these networks during these last 4 years. Some could say that it's the PTB, yes sure, but as said, i wanted to keep the comparison in regard to the good he did for the people and just detail this practical battle he lead.
Can we call this an heroic act, in our modern times ? To me the answer is yes. (and so it is if we see the main target witch is the PTB/deep state)

Thus, comparing Trump to an hero, a modern-time hero is ... i agree, a bit exagerated, and I'm sure some here would like to answer me that i should stop to dream, that we are in real life, that he'll finally make a good deal for himself to save his ass ... etc. But i could then not help to answer "Really ?". Any here think that with all he did until now he'll stop, retreat ? I didnt' mean that he'll succeed and that everybody will be happy and that the end of the story will be a good one, i'm speaking here about his combativity, his boldness. And it's again a kind of certitude within me regarding him : he will not stop, he'll not make a deal, or this will be an appearence, he'll not pardon those who betrayed him (as he said in an old video that i guess all watched). And at this level, i compare him to the hero of the series, he sticks to his words, his promises (some will say : until now)

Coming back to the comparison, the wife of Ertugrul is also a wonderfull/beautiful character, and she's the one who fuels the hero, who give him all his combativity, or again, his boldness. If by any hasard there was really a similarity, then what could eventually stop Trump to go on is just in regard to his wife and his children, he don't want his family to be the new "Kennedy-type" one. And to terminate with the wife(s) comparison, if similar to the series, Melania is fully aware of the danger and is the one who backup her husband at 100%, who accept the danger. I always thought Melania is a great woman, she ... "shines" like an inner "nobility" ...
The lone difference i would say (with of course nothing to prove it) is that Ertugrul didn't wait his wife to be an hero, but for Trump, this is Melania's love who inspired Trump to be a better man.

(To chateau crew : if one day, during a next session, you are missing questions to ask to the C's, please ask a question on Melania's role(s) :whistle: )

One extra detail : something which is often said in the series is "Allah is the best plotter", replace Allah by "Cosmic mind" : "Cosmic mind is the best plotter", how true is it at this moment !

Last edited:
I really enjoy watching the netflix show The English Game (released May 2020), set in the 1870s in England, the period of the romance novels, and it's all there. In this show apart from the side drama and love stories, it is about the game of football, which apparently used to be an upper class sport (one team being called The Old Etonians) and how it changed to become also for the working class men. It seems that often a village had only the factory where everybody slaved away and the football team (also factory workers), that gave them pride, entertainment and something of an identity.

1614413005991.png

These are the real Old Etonians of the olden days:
1614413386309.png

Back
Top Bottom