A powerful solar storm is headed toward us, bringing hazards and rare light show

You know, considering the long-term quietness of the sun for awhile now, these recent flares etc are curious. What is OUT there that is triggering them?

Reactions: Ina
Laura said:
You know, considering the long-term quietness of the sun for awhile now, these recent flares etc are curious. What is OUT there that is triggering them?

I thought about the same thing, yes the Florence asteroid is one of the biggest space rocks in the last 20 years that passed closely to our planet, but what if that's not the whole banana? I feel that there is something else that triggered this violent reaction of our Sun, i mean in one week we had 4 mega solar eruptions, 2 of which were X - class CMEs one of them being the strongest in 12 years...

Andre' said:
Laura said:

I thought about the same thing, yes the Florence asteroid is one of the biggest space rocks in the last 20 years that passed closely to our planet, but what if that's not the whole banana? I feel that there is something else that triggered this violent reaction of our Sun, i mean in one week we had 4 mega solar eruptions, 2 of which were X - class CMEs one of them being the strongest in 12 years...
Ive been thinking along these lines over the last week. Things are certainly lively to say the least. What's next I wonder.

Thebull said:
Andre' said:
Ive been thinking along these lines over the last week. Things are certainly lively to say the least. What's next I wonder.

Not long ago I saw a curious news item about astronomers from the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy recalculating their estimations regarding neighboring stars straying into the Oort cloud and nudging comets from their path and into our Solar system. According to them, the estimations are higher than they thought, but as usual they were talking about the future and the span of millions years. I wonder why they never talk in terms of the event being already in progress. :/ In any case, here's the paper that was published in August this year. At the time I thought that it was a curious timing, and perhaps it could be more than a coincidence.

The sun has exhibited strangely high levels of solar flare activity over the last few days as it reaches its solar minimum, the period in which the sun’s flare activity should be at its lowest.

Solar Enigma: Sun Displays Record High Activity When It Should Be at Its Lowest (Videos)
https://sputniknews.com/science/201709131057340155-sun-strange-solar-activity-detected/

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory has noticed flare after powerful flare in the last week, including one on September 6 that was the most massive solar flare in over a decade. In total, seven flares have been spotted in the last week, two of which were nearly as impressive as the record-setter.

"The X9.3 flare was the largest flare so far in the current solar cycle, the approximately 11-year-cycle during which the sun's activity waxes and wanes," a NASA statement reads.

Spaceweather.com
September 9 at 9:37pm ·
21432762_1895221470728235_7920379697194001408_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/spaceweatherdotcom/photos/a.1673882029528848.1073741828.1669353783315006/1895221470728235/?type=3&theater
NORTHERN LIGHTS ...IN ARKANSAS:
During Friday's severe geomagnetic storm, auroras were seen in at least 18 US states including Alaska, Maine, Connecticut, New York, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Illinois, Minnesota, Delaware, Michigan, North Carolina, Ohio, Iowa, Maryland, Virginia, Vermont, and South Dakota. Remarkably, Northern Lights descended as far south as Arkansas.

Brian Emfinger sends this picture from Morillton, AR.
"I set up my camera about an hour after sunset and immediately recognized some reddish aurora with some curtains,"
says Emfinger.
"From the first picture, the aurora was clearly fading and within 15 minutes was completely gone."

Spaceweather.com
19 hrs · 1-13-17
21728551_1896231373960578_8419973463907016556_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/spaceweatherdotcom/photos/a.1673882029528848.1073741828.1669353783315006/1896231373960578/?type=3&theater
CME HITS, SPARKS MINOR GEOMAGNETIC STORM:
Arriving earlier than expected, the flank of a CME hit Earth's magnetic field on Sept. 12th (20:00 UT). The impact has sparked a minor G1-class geomagnetic storm. NOAA forecasters say the storm could intensify to G2-class on Sept. 13th. If so, auroras in the USA could appear as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

Spaceweather.com · September 7 ·
21430604_1894413624142353_6683247612176791558_n.jpg

GEOMAGNETIC STORM UPDATE:
Earth's magnetic field is recovering from a jarring CME impact during the late hours of Sept. 7th (23:00 UT). First contact with the CME produced a severe G4-class geomagnetic storm and auroras in the USA as far south as Arkansas. That storm has subsided, but more storms are in the offing. The solar wind around our planet is blowing like a veritable gale (700+ km/s) as we move through the CME's wake. Isolated periods of mild to strong geomagnetic storming are likely on Sept. 8th and 9th
[size=10pt]Photo: Auroras reflected from the calm waters of Cape Cod, Massachusetts, on Sept. 8, 2017. Credit: Chris Cook

https://youtu.be/q-ZQBlWdlAY
Edit Add Current:
Current Space Weather Conditions
G2 Watch issued for 13 September; G1 Watch issued for 14 September
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/g2-watch-issued-13-september-g1-watch-issued-14-september
A coronal hole high speed stream, originating from a recurrent, positive polarity coronal hole seen in the SDO/AIA 193 image above, is likely to cause geomagnetic storming at the G2 level on 13 September 2017, and at the G1 level on 14 September. Stay tuned for additional updates.

could be anything else, but hurricanes if they could make the "california fall to the ocean" if they are becoming more and more concurrent ... the predictions say that hurricane Jose would not reach land, but could still bring tides that the cities would swell because of the eroded state of the edge caused by the previous hurricane ... surely many people thought of this idea although it is vaguely without obviously anticipating.

A Peek into the New Cycle: Solar Storm Forecast 04-12-2018
Apr 12, 2018 / 6:11

Fast solar wind bombards Earth this week from a large coronal hole gracing much of the Sun's face. We have already reached storm conditions from the early blast of this wind, with aurora dipping down into mid-latitudes. We will likely reach active conditions again sporadically throughout this week. Aurora photographers should stay on their toes, especially at high-latitudes.

Amateur radio operators should enjoy auroral propagation modes, especially at night, and GPS users should enjoy clear signals away from the aurora. On top of this storm, the Sun gives us a momentary glimpse at an active region that looks to be coming from the new solar cycle. As cycles typically overlap each other by a few years, this is not uncommon.

Auroras
Taken by Aku Kankaanpää on April 10, 2018 @ Toholampi, Finland

RARE VIDEOS OF STEVE: On April 10th, a G1-class geomagnetic storm was brewing over Canada as a stream of solar wind buffeted Earth's magnetic field. Matthew Wheeler of Robson Valley, British Columbia, stepped outside to see what was up--and STEVE appeared. "My dog barked at it for the entire hour it was visible," says Wheeler. "It was flowing like a river at astonishing speed."
Click to play his must-see video:

Another video--"my best yet," says Wheeler--shows the beautiful interaction between the soft-purple ribbon and nearby green "picket fence" auroras: "The purple ribbon was moving much faster than the green pickets," says Wheeler. "And while their forms varied from smooth to ragged and back again, their path across the sky was almost constant for the whole hour--as it has since I first noticed STEVE over this valley in the 1980s."
Does STEVE really make dogs bark? "Mine does," says Wheeler. "In addition to barking at STEVE, my giant Akbash astronomy dog, Patch, has barked at the space station since he was a pup, and proudly seen it off the farm every time. He is also a valuable spotter of meteor showers. When I hear him barking upwards, it is time to go outside."

Last edited:
What may be a game changer for Hawaii is the fact that there is a Geomagnetic storm in progress as we speak:

TamithaSkov Published on May 16, 2018 All info Links within:
Space Weather finally clams down just in time for a new coronal hole to cause another solar storm and bring aurora, possibly down to mid-latitudes. We are already beginning to see the early effects from this latest burst of fast solar wind to hit Earth. Although not nearly as intense as the last storm we had, it should bring us to active conditions at the very least over the next several days. We also have a new bright region entering Earth-view this week that is helping boost solar flux and keep radio propagation at marginal conditions over the next several days. As usual, with a spotless Sun, GPS conditions are good on Earth's dayside this week, with only issues near aurora on the night side. Learn details of this coming solar storm, what emergency responders have to look forward to, and what else the Sun has in store. Also catch a surprise ending, specially made for a cast member on TWiT-TV's Ham Nation. For daily and often hourly updates (during active times) visit me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TamithaSkov
https://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=...txsBqdzz2eS9ruQp8MTUyNjY0MjM4MEAxNTI2NTU1OTgw

Suspicious0bservers Published on May 17, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSKbIso0ySE
Oppenheimer Ranch Project Published on May 16, 2018
16:45

TamithaSkov Published on May 23, 2018
The Sun wakes up this week with several new bright regions that have rotated into Earth-view. The newest of these regions has been actively firing solar flares since it was on the Sun's backside. All this activity has boosted the solar flux so amateur radio operators and emergency responders are enjoying decent radio propagation.
Meanwhile some pockets of fast wind continue to pummel Earth, keeping things at unsettled conditions. The wind isn't fast enough to bring us up to storm levels and bring aurora down to mid-latitudes, but it is enough to help improve GPS reception at low latitudes. Learn more about the new active regions, when the next solar storm is expected, and what else the Sun has in store for us this week. For daily and often hourly updates (during active times) visit me on Twitter: Dr. Tamitha Skov (@TamithaSkov) | Twitter

Published on May 23, 2018

Space Weather News for Nov. 21, 2019
https://spaceweather.com
https://www.spaceweatheralerts.com
butterfly_strip.jpg

"NIGHT BUTTERFLIES" OVER NORWAY: Earth is entering a stream of fast-moving solar wind. First contact on Nov. 20th produced a visually stunning episode of auroras around the Arctic Circle--including "night butterflies" over Norway. NOAA forecasters say there is a chance of G1-class geomagnetic storms on Nov. 21st as Earth moves deeper into the stream. If so, auroras could appear in northern-tier US states such as Michigan and Minnesota. Check Spaceweather.com for updates and photos.

Aurora alerts: Sign up for Spaceweather Alerts and get a text message when auroras appear in your area.

Back
Top Bottom