A theory on psychopaths' souls!

I'm quite new here but found this thread really interesting in a way that doesn't seem to be taken up. If I am repeating something which is obvious to everybody than my apologies...

The idea that the soul isn't an inherent quality but one that can be achieved seems to me to be very similar as the old age discussion between Plato and Aristotle. Plato believed in Ideal types and that existed in a perfect state which was beyond the material world. In terms of this discussion this would fall in line with the idea that there is an eternal soul which all people need to take part in. In terms of the discussion on psychopaths it wold mean that an individual was so disconnected from this soul that they had lost even the semblance of it. On the other hand Aristotle argues that the are different kinds of souls and that each kind has a purpose(Specifically in his text On the Soul).He argues that the main purpose of the human soul is intellect. I think it would be easy and as many of the quotes here point out to view the discussion in the light that in some sense we could view the purpose of the soul, not so much as intellect but as compassion. With this in mind the greatest realistion of compassion must be to awake and try to create more compassion in the world.

Back
Top Bottom