Advertising Idea - Asking for Permission to use SoTT Banner

Well, also FWIW, I'm usually totally OCD when it comes to grammar and punctuation - soooo - I have to support the idea that we should do it correctly every time. However - with that said, I also have to admit that until it was pointed out, I didn't catch it either ( :/ ), which indicates (to me at least) that the style of the lettering and the general designs lend themselves to getting the point across at a glance - which is, I think, the whole idea.

This may actually speak to the whole 'graphic design' aspect, because I looked at each one as more of a 'whole picture' to be understood, rather than a sentence or phrase. FWIW.

One more thing to add: this is a graphic design and not an editorial or any other kind of written work. I can understand the wish to keep things as clean as possible in areas like writing because it does look better. But in this case, their is no writer (and thus, no reader). It is graphically-focused, not word-focused, even though the words are an important part of the design. Typically this means that the designer can take the liberty in creating a design that does not have to stay within the bounds of acceptable punctuation and grammer.

This is saying a lot, since I am quite OCD about this stuff like anart. But it just seems like some are missing the forest for the trees.

I have to agree with Third_Density_Resident and Donald there. The first thing I noticed about the "Psychopaths rule our world" piece was the lack of apostrophe in "6% of the worlds population..." I wanted to reach into the computer and draw an apostrophe! But then, I'm persnickety when it comes to this sort of thing.

atreides said:
people automatically correct grammatical errors without even thinking about them.
If the audience/readership have to correct grammatical errors in their head, then the copy editors aren't doing their job. At least that's how it is in Australia, and I assume in the UK also. I figure it would be the same in the US, but hey, I could be wrong.

Sure, the text is not the focus, but it is still part of it. To have incorrect grammar or punctuation smacks of sloppiness and lack of professional pride. It reminds me of sellers who want you to see potential in their house for sale when the rooms are badly painted and dirty. Sure, if it's a good house it's a good house, that's the bottom line, right? Maybe. But you're shooting yourself in the foot. Even a single typo or grammatical error can - and will - stick out like a sore thumb to those who aren't conditioned to text message illiteracy. In a nutshell, it can sabotage your hook.

yeah, I think it should be correct. why not? its not that hard to get it right. I don't think its ocd at all!
its not like a stylised logo or something, where the rules can be bent for a certain visual effect.

a case of not being able to see the trees for the forest? ;)

sleepyvinny said:
I don't think its ocd at all!
No, it's not OCD, but THIS is :):

yeah, I think it should be correct. why not? its not that hard to get it right. I don't think its ocd at all! its not like a stylised logo or something, where the rules can be bent for a certain visual effect.
I'm just pointing out how one can truly be OCD. Correcting spelling and punctuation in a forum is what I would classify as being OCD; correcting spelling and punctuation for a professional or semi-professional image is not OCD at all -- in fact I see it as being a necessity for maximum clarity.

Back
Top Bottom