Alcohol

You are probably right.

I have the oral drops version of alimemazin evolan. I read the medication package insert a while back. It said you can't mix it with alcohol or milk while dosing it. But you could mix it with water or juice etc. then drink it. That's what it said regarding alcohol if I remember correctly. I used the last prescribed bottle some weeks ago, I have to call to get a new one approved. I am not forced to take it but I can decide to take it when needed (1 ml, 3 times a day). I use it against unease and for better sleep. If it helps or not I can't say for sure.
Yes, whenever taking a medicine that affects your hormones and emotions, I would say better be safe than sorry and leave the alcohol aside. Another thing is that alcohol can usually lead to depression, it's one of those stimulants that ends up making people feel down, so even if it's not interfering directly, it might be erasing the effects of the drug and perpetuating the issue. So, even if you weren't taking the medicine, I would probably also advice about minimizing your exposure to alcohol, specially if you're prone to anxiety and poor sleep.

Was that the reason you were prescribed the Alimemazin? were you diagnosed with anything in particular? just curious.

Was that the reason you were prescribed the Alimemazin? were you diagnosed with anything in particular? just curious.

Yes it was. I wasn't diagnosed with anything new. The first time I took it was maybe 7 months ago, I was in the psychiatric clinic. Then some months went by and I bought it at the pharmacy. I didn't know I had it in my prescriptions.

When I was there I got uneased and walked around and craved for carbonated soda or water. I was getting uneased with eating at a regular schedule. Eating like that also got me hard in the stomach, really painful. They told me that can happen if there is a change in diet. I also went to sleep at 00:00 almost every night.

So I asked for vitamin effervescent tablets, but they didn't have any. Some nurse there asked me in response "you believe in vitamins?". Then I asked a doctor for something that would "burn a little" and I got Theralen, which is the same medication as Alimemazin. In fact Theralen has been discontinued.

I also got another medication 'Inderal' prescribed around the same time, against shaking, my arms and hands can shake at times. But I haven't been taking that medication much at all.

Overall I have three medications: zypadhera injections, Alimemazin Evolan oral drops and Inderal pills. My diagnosis's haven't changed since I first got them in 2012, they are 'unspecified nonorganic psychosis' and 'autism spectrum disorder/Asperger's'.

A long (2hr), detailed video on the effects of alcohol consumption.

Unfortunately he has just about nothing good to say of alcohol and its effects at any level of consumption at all…

I'm not sure exactly how accurate some of his statements are on even low level alcohol consumption, but he backs it up with some good citations that are all linked in the show notes.

Overview of the main points:

• Low to Mod consumption every day thins neocortex (among other brain regions), chronic intake (even in relatively small amounts, likely degenerates the brain while high consumption damages neocortex.
  • Kills bacteria in gut.
  • Can pass into any/all cells of the body (rather than binding to receptors).
  • Ethanol is converted into acetaldehyde (the poison that causes the drunk state but also kills cells)
  • The liver converts acetaldehyde into acetate (a highly inefficient fuel): if not converted fast enough, acetaldehyde builds up (cells in liver deal with this, but get damaged in the process).
  • Empty calories - conversion process is draining and energy cannot be stored.
  • Those predisposed to drinking feel more energised and alert (for longer) than others (who quickly become tired/drunk etc.).
  • Alcohol - gut - liver converts - some will reach the brain (any/all areas, particularly pre-frontal cortex. This will cause less top-down behaviour inhibition and suppresses memory storage
  • Areas of the brain involved in flexible thought shut down (preventing considered decision making).
  • Chronic drinking leads to long-term changes to these neural circuits (and strengthens these changes). General reduction in top-down inhibition (reversable in 2-6 months, except in the case of years of alcoholism).
  • Alcohol absorption into blood is slowed if food is eaten before or with.
  • Alcohol & serotonin: alcohol acts to make serotonin levels hyperactive, which then drops off. You cannot reach these hyperactive levels again by consuming more drink, but more depression of serotonin occurs. Chronic drinkers or those with genetic variations can keep the hyperactive levels.
  • Hypothalamus: Alcohol disrupts hypothalamus, adrenal, pituitary pathway (HAP axis); causing more cortisol release when not drinking = more stress/anxiety when not drinking. Higher levels of baseline stress, worse resilience to stress and lower overall mood. Also disrupts temperature modulation, lowering body temperature and can disrupt appetite, sex drive and anger.
  • Discussion of genes related to serotonin, GABA, HPA that can predispose an individual to alcoholism, as does starting drinking at a young age. Also a note on genes that make people alcohol averse (either just disliking the taste or being unable to stomach it without feeling very ill).
  • Discussion of communication in the Gut-Liver-Brain axis: alcohol disrupts gut biome (kills bacteria), promoting the release of pro-inflammatory molecules, damaging the gut lining and causing leaky-gut, thus allowing bacteria into blood and then to the brain - this can then manifest in the brain to disrupt the circuits that moderate alcohol intake. Overall effect to cause inflammation in the brain and body and lead to the desire to drink more.
  • Replenishing gut biome (fermented foods especially) can help reduce inflammation.
  • Increase in stress to be expected when coming off alcohol.
  • Hangover: anxiety (cortisol anxiety). Alcohol sleep = not quality sleep / pseudo sleep / low-level sleep. Gut disrupted. Vasoconstriction causing headache (re-bound from vasodilation from alcohol). Epinephrin / adrenaline may help to clear alcohol from system i.e cold shower (but alcohol can cause hypothermia, disrupting temp. regulation). Dehydration (inc. sodium, potassium, magnesium [electrolytes])
  • Drinks that cause worse hangovers (red wine, brandy, whiskey) - nitrites disrupt gut biome
  • No positive effects from alcohol
  • Cancer risk: mainly breast cancer through disruption of vitamin B pathways
  • Hormones: converts testosterone to oestrogen, possibly leading to 'man boobs', diminished sex drive and increased breast cancer risk. Causes a decrease in testosterone over time and has the overall effect of increases oestrogen levels.

Unfortunately he has just about nothing good to say of alcohol and its effects at any level of consumption at all…

I'm not sure exactly how accurate some of his statements are on even low level alcohol consumption, but he backs it up with some good citations that are all linked in the show notes.
That was a very good summary, thanks a lot!

I think as far as alcohol is concerned, much like with any other stimulant, there is a social aspect to it, that if done in limited quantities on certain occasions, can make the net experience of life a little better.

But, like any other stimulant, it's not just the substance but what one attributes to the substance when consuming it, that has the largest potential of causing long term harm in a person. If you try to fill an emotional hole with a chemical substance, you will only harm yourself in the long run, physiologically but also your emotional hole will probably get worse.

Neil young had this to say in 1989 " We've got a thousand points of light for the homeless man, we've got a kinder gentler machine gun hand " I'm thinking he's a fairly good channel in his own right whether he knows it or not. This cat is a music man! Meowgi
How’d that channel turn out? Young=total putz. (Young pulls music from Spotify over Joe Rogan vaccine misinformation SNAFU and is praised by the WHO) My response was to remove After the Goldrush from my music catalog. LOL!

But as for alcohol, Young makes a valid point in “Rockin in the Free World” that the world is cruel, hypocritical, and utterly dysfunctional. The C’s make the related point that embodiment on the physical level is taxing on the soul. Alcohol has many dark faces. A bit of occasional escapism, if not excessive or repetitive, is one of those possible reasons at least a minimal amount of consumption can be rationalized. IOW, never say never. There are times, on a human level, it might be warranted or called for whether it is “healthy” or not.

I thought alcohol was a depressant?

I found this information about this plant - kudzu, maybe it may be useful.
As far as i understand this plant reducing cravings to alcohol and reducing the damage done by alcohol.
This info may be correct but I am all of a sudden noticing this guy everywhere with opinions on everything. I haven’t really checked him out yet, but I do like his approach and his presentation is excellent. He seems to be stepping into the Mercola void in a way. The fact he comes on like he has everything 100% figured out is a bit of a red flag for me, so, he gets a Spock Eyebrow for now.

If I “go out” with people and socialize I don’t like to have more than 2-3 drinks for the night. If I go above 2 drinks I don’t like it as it takes me half of the next day to recover. I never drink at home or if not in a social setting. I like to exercise too much and I don’t go out more than 4x a month. So I guess I could say in a 30 days span I have roughly 8-10 drinks

I thought alcohol was a depressant?

This info may be correct but I am all of a sudden noticing this guy everywhere with opinions on everything. I haven’t really checked him out yet, but I do like his approach and his presentation is excellent. He seems to be stepping into the Mercola void in a way. The fact he comes on like he has everything 100% figured out is a bit of a red flag for me, so, he gets a Spock Eyebrow for now.
Some people get depressed after being drunk and some people can be happier after being drunk (probably 90% of alcohol users).

I never use kuzu, but I read that it contains starch or carbohydrates. We know that diet full of carbohydrates are not best diet. This kuzu plant can give temporary improvement like candy or sweets.

I think the best cure for alcoholism is psychotherapy or autopsychoterapy. The biggest problem during lockdowns was lonlyness. The talk with other people can be sometimes a small psychotherapy. Some people lost emotional bounds with family. Some people feel guilty for what they done earlier and now they want to punish themselfs. And there are a please: The real personality traits come up in the surface during crisis situation. Someday the masks will fall down.

I think the best cure for alcoholism is psychotherapy or autopsychoterapy. The biggest problem during lockdowns was lonlyness. The talk with other people can be sometimes a small psychotherapy. Some people lost emotional bounds with family. Some people feel guilty for what they done earlier and now they want to punish themselfs. And there are a please: The real personality traits come up in the surface during crisis situation. Someday the masks will fall down.
Or the false one that one fears are real, which is why one might seek to numb them down by drinking. It's so complex and particular to everyone. I do agree, sometimes crises are the times where someone's traits that have not been worked on show up.

Back
Top Bottom