All About Fasting

I can only offer my own experience.

Several fasting experiences from few years ago, all about 3 days in a duration. Drinking only purified water throughout which made it basically a starving. I remember feeling light headed at times, and of course pangs of hunger. My cognitive abilities were unaffected, energy levels were good enough for light workouts. But my sleep both length and quality was affected and went down the hill.

With fasting regimen, the difference is light and a day.
Eat your full inside the 8 hour window. No bad effects, really nice sleep, brain fires up fast and strong, and I am able to do all hard work around the farm + daily job without a hitch.
Literally no comparison and one of the best decisions in my life.

I can only offer my own experience.

Several fasting experiences from few years ago, all about 3 days in a duration. Drinking only purified water throughout which made it basically a starving. I remember feeling light headed at times, and of course pangs of hunger. My cognitive abilities were unaffected, energy levels were good enough for light workouts. But my sleep both length and quality was affected and went down the hill.

With intermittent fasting regimen, the difference is light and a day.
Eat your full inside the 8 hour window. No bad effects, really nice sleep, brain fires up fast and strong, and I am able to do all hard work around the farm + daily job without a hitch.
Literally no comparison and one of the best decisions in my life.
Hi @Honzap I made a change to your second paragraph. It sounds to me like you are talking there about intermittent fasting (mention of the 8 hour window) and it was confusing because your first paragraph was relating difficulties with fasting, and your second paragraph was more positive about fasting. Did I understand this correctly, or have I missed something? Apologies if I missed something.

Understanding the Randle Cycle​

Story at a glance:
  • Some in the keto and carnivore space argue that eating fats and carbs together will result in weight gain because of the Randle cycle, which serves as a switch that only allows your body to burn either fats or glucose, one at a time, not both together
  • The Randle cycle refers to an antagonism between glucose and fats as fuel, which explains why you can become insulin resistant when you avoid carbohydrates
  • If you’re in chronic ketosis, your tissues decrease their insulin sensitivity, which can lead to or contribute to insulin resistance
  • A low-carb diet is best implemented as a temporary strategy to restore metabolic flexibility. Once metabolic flexibility is regained, adding more carbs back in will help to lower cortisol, which is highly inflammatory
  • A narrow time-restricted eating (TRE) window is also counterproductive once you’ve regained metabolic flexibility, as extended fasting also raises cortisol

Attachments

• randle-cycle-pdf.pdf
    262.7 KB · Views: 12
I struggle with fasting, even for a day but am much better with the intermittent fasting regime. I have given up eating breakfast as I get up at 4 am for work four times a week and it is far too early to be eating anyway. I tend to have my first meal at 12 or thereabouts and on work days I stop at 7ish as I have to go to bed early for the next day. Not so easy on non working days however but I still don't eat till around 12. The difficulty on my non-working days is I don't go to bed until 11ish and I am usually thinking about food during that time unfortunately....:-) Hopefully even four days of intermittent fasting will prove useful.

Here's a handy guide I found online and put in a doc for easy printing and reference while fasting.

I recently did 5 days and felt great. Did another 2 day fast last week. Will be doing another soon. Kids here have decided to fast one day a week.

When I fast, it's just distilled water, nothing else. I break the fast starting with a cup of bouillon or bone broth, and then just meat. That continues the ketosis for as long as you can stay keto.

Attachments

• Fasting Benefits by Hou1.docx
    571.4 KB · Views: 77

Understanding the Randle Cycle​

Story at a glance:
  • Some in the keto and carnivore space argue that eating fats and carbs together will result in weight gain because of the Randle cycle, which serves as a switch that only allows your body to burn either fats or glucose, one at a time, not both together
  • The Randle cycle refers to an antagonism between glucose and fats as fuel, which explains why you can become insulin resistant when you avoid carbohydrates
  • If you’re in chronic ketosis, your tissues decrease their insulin sensitivity, which can lead to or contribute to insulin resistance
  • A low-carb diet is best implemented as a temporary strategy to restore metabolic flexibility. Once metabolic flexibility is regained, adding more carbs back in will help to lower cortisol, which is highly inflammatory
  • A narrow time-restricted eating (TRE) window is also counterproductive once you’ve regained metabolic flexibility, as extended fasting also raises cortisol

Well, I read it, and given Mercola's seeming recent "disintegration" (See here: Has Mercola Lost It?), and how radically different from other things he promoted in the past this is, I'm not very convinced...

He COULD be onto something, but then again, it comes down to just listening to your body, doing proper lab tests, etc. and adjusting. We know that keto is not for everyone, or that some people benefit from longer fasts than others, more or less carbs, etc. And his explanation about cortisol was interesting. But did you see what he has for breakfast? :scared: He's gone to quite the other extreme.

He COULD be onto something, but then again, it comes down to just listening to your body, doing proper lab tests, etc. and adjusting.
I agree; also this is one of the recommendation from https://m.youtube.com/@JFwellness
(Dr Mercola recommended in few instances, at least in the last 2 years ,in his podcasts the above channel: The Energy Balance Podcast - which I listened for now 40 episodes : and I gladly recommend to anyone interested in improving their health)

Listening to this 40 episodes I included with confidence more carbs(potato, white rice, fruits - with room to improve) and observed my energy levels rise and general wellbeing improve; with no increase in body fat.

Well, I read it, and given Mercola's seeming recent "disintegration" (See here: Has Mercola Lost It?), and how radically different from other things he promoted in the past this is, I'm not very convinced...
I read the above thread and pay extra attention to his articles; with the intention to post those that I sense are useful (from my perspective)

Has anyone in the forum dealt with an eating disorder, such as binge eating and successfully tried fasting?

I am asking because I am trying to understand the difference between starving and fasting as both trigger hungry signals and can make one not feel great, for fasting that's usually when one is new to the practice and getting into it (from the research I have done, please correct me if I am wrong)

I guess I am confused because as I do The Work, I am coming home to the idea how important to is to listen to our body's signals as someone who has spent most of her life in her head and overthinking, not paying attention to what the body needs.

I know there is a ton of well documented research on the benefits of fasting but I am having trouble reconciling the benefits while ignoring our bodies cue for hungry

I'd really like to get to a point of fasting for 3 days but I right now am un able to make a full 24 hours as I get so sick and low energy and then end up eating so much which seems like binge eating

Is my body not ready to fast do you think?

Edit: I realized I already posted something like this recently. I clearly need to re-read this thread more thoroughly. I can't delete the post so I made an edit

Here's a handy guide I found online and put in a doc for easy printing and reference while fasting.

I recently did 5 days and felt great. Did another 2 day fast last week. Will be doing another soon. Kids here have decided to fast one day a week.

When I fast, it's just distilled water, nothing else. I break the fast starting with a cup of bouillon or bone broth, and then just meat. That continues the ketosis for as long as you can stay keto.
Is there reason to drink distilled water at all? I would suggest drinking spring/mineral water.. Dr. Berg talked about situation when insulin level drops, body starts to loose water and minerals. Distilled water doesnt help in that situation, quite opposite. I add tea spoon of salt everyday to be on safe side.

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom